Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461390 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #4200 on: December 16, 2016, 10:35:47 AM »
All though it should be obvious internet logic at this point to not read movie/tv/whatever threads of something just released, perhaps the title should be changed to have (Spoilers) for the first 1 to 4 weeks?
No need.  We would have to do that for every single movie thread.  I mean, if a thread is about a particular movie (or movie series) there are OBVIOUSLY going to be spoilers for people who haven't seen the movie yet.  Otherwise, there wouldn't be anything to discuss.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4201 on: December 16, 2016, 11:12:57 AM »
Careful, Star Wars spoiler below:

Well shit....  Thanks man!  I'm not even gonna bother to go see it now!   :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4202 on: December 16, 2016, 12:31:22 PM »
I literally just saw it.

Wasn't blown away by it. But that's not saying much seeing as I was never a huge SW fan.

Wasn't as flat out fun as The Force Awakens.

K2S0 was funny. I laughed hard at " I'm taking them...to imprison them....in...prison.."

CG Peter Cushing looked really good but CG Carrie Fisher did not.

There never felt like there was much drama. Too bright and shiny perhaps ? You know the ending ?

Forrest Whittaker's acting was a little wonky. I did like the crashing Star Destroyers and anytime the Death Star blew anything up... :p

Offline Jester

« Reply #4203 on: December 16, 2016, 02:21:31 PM »
=============
SPOILERS
=============

Just saw it.  I'm in the euphoria stage so right now my tainted review is loved it.

My number one problem was the music.  They should always use John Williams and clone him now as back up simply because it is the deadly 2016.

The land/space ship battle at the end was done better than TFA.  As short as the mustachios role was, there was at least an emotional connection with his death.  I felt nothing for the space trench run in TFA.

Really loved how they gave the "oppression" of the Empire feel on a street/city level.  That was done very well.

Liked Bodhi's (sp?) reaction to Saw's breathing possibly giving him nightmares of Vader's breathing. He's a "traitor" at that point and the other side wasn't welcoming him with open arms.  Gave a great feel for how doing the right thing can feel like you made a mistake at first.  Bodhi v. Finn defection.  Bodhi was infinitely more developed.  And he was Jar Jar free, unlike Finn.

Tarkin was amazingly well done.

Krennic looking up to see what he saw as his *beautiful* creation becoming his doom was a great ending for him.

And talking about the high Imperial office dynamic, it was a great conveyance of how it is just as much about wanting to please "the Emperor" for essentially political favors/fame as plain old evil.  They were seduced by the power of the Emperor.

Factions of the alliance was a nice touch.  The Chamberlins v. the Churchills.

K2SO was a much better droid than BB8 and possibly even the original dynamic duo.  He was devoid of etiquette and basically emotional empathy, yet that void allowed him to connect with Jyn.  Not being bogged down with whether or not what he will say helps or hurts anybody.  So his compliments (that he doesn't know are compliments) can be taken at face value and therefore, more meaningful.

Cassian (sorry if I'm screwing up the spelling on these names) had a nice dynamic as the assassin.  His first kill was done in such a way that you almost had to do a double take.  Did he just kill him?  It looks that way.  Wow.  Awesome dimension to a rebel.

The Jedha duo were great with a nice bond.  Almost the Luke/Han bond on a smaller scale (simply because they were top tier, but not the top characters).

The creativity on the planets, aliens, droids and stormtroopers was off the charts good.  Blew TFA out of the water in that aspect.

Did it feel like Star Wars? Yes and no.  I think a Williams score would have helped tremendously in that aspect.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4204 on: December 16, 2016, 02:40:31 PM »
Saw it. Loved it. There were some flaws, the score being the most obvious, but overall I left feeling great. I would see it again today!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4205 on: December 16, 2016, 04:06:06 PM »
Am I the only one who didn't really mind the score? I need to see the film another time, but it definitely serviced it. Honestly, TFA score was pretty bland at points.

Anyways, as for the film itself, it really puts the "war" in "Star Wars" to use. In that regard, it's highly entertaining. The space battles are spectacular and much better than in TFA.

[spoiler I guess]
My main complaint is that I wish they spent a little more time building up these characters. The intro scene with kid Jyn left little impression on me. Just wish they would have let us get to know our heroes a little more to get us more invested into them. Cassian, for example is a fascinating character in concept, but his motivations are too weak to be believable.
[/spoiler]

There's a few more minor things here and there but I don't wanna nitpick yet, it's a new friggin' Star Wars movie. Just watch it if you haven't, ya dingus. I still found it pretty enjoyable.

Offline Jester

« Reply #4206 on: December 16, 2016, 04:07:21 PM »
Cassio Tagge: And until this battle station is fully operational, we are vulnerable. The Rebel Alliance is too well equipped. They're more dangerous than you realize!

Conan Antonio Motti: Dangerous to your starfleet, Commander, not to this battle station.

Tagge: The Rebellion will continue to gain a support in the Imperial Senate, until...

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin: [walking in with Darth Vader] The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

Tagge: That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

This really gains strength when you see the Rebel Alliance big meeting and the Death Star simply destroying a city put the fear in them.  After 20 years of trying to stop the Empire, they were in such fear that they were ready to accept their fate.

Then the talk of the dissolution of the Senate in A New Hope shows how much faith they placed in the Death Star.  That the Empire had to still play the game of politics up until Rogue One.  With the Death Star complete, the Emperor could dispense with the pleasantries and enter the "whadda ya gonna do about it?" phase of the Empire.

That whole rebel meeting was done so well.

Not too shabby for a movie that technically could have just been left to the imagination.  It did exactly what it set out to do.  Create a new story that enhances the series, but isn't dependent on the grand Skywalker/Palpatine arc.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline Jester

« Reply #4207 on: December 16, 2016, 04:14:14 PM »
Am I the only one who didn't really mind the score? I need to see the film another time, but it definitely serviced it. Honestly, TFA score was pretty bland at points.

I will tell you what my main problem with the score is.   It wasn't necessarily that it was bad on its own.  It was that it literally avoided many of the big Star Wars themes altogether.  Sometimes it toyed with them, but it almost felt like somebody had a stop watch or counter to make sure they wouldn't get *sued* for copyright infringement.  It almost gave a fan film feel where they were afraid to simply use The Star Wars theme or even Imperial March to any real significance, making them seem like a knockoff.  Like I went in to buy a Panasonic and got a Panaphonic.  Or a Magnavox and got a Magnabox.

It literally made me think WHILE WATCHING, do they have to pay Lucas and/or Williams a buttload of money if they use the Star Wars themes and therefore made some room in the budget by not directly quoting it at all.

The Star Wars music is almost as important to what makes Star Wars - Star Wars as a Star Destroyer, lightsaber or the Force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4208 on: December 16, 2016, 04:21:06 PM »
[SPOILER]

I thought CG Peter Cushing looked really good - a massive step up from the young Jeff Bridges in Tron 2...but CG young Carrie Fisher looked a bit ropey.

Offline Jester

« Reply #4209 on: December 16, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »
CG Tarkin was so good I had to really look to decide if it was CG or they were lucky enough to find his doppleganger (at the perfect age no less).  It was so good it was almost creepy.

Leia felt like an afterthought and reminded me of one of those commercials where they pipe in an old celebrity image on a low budget.  Wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the "reshoot" edits.

If we are going to get picky, not sure how I feel about the Rebel Blockade Runner fleeing the actual scene of the crime where Vader was just steps from gaining entry.  I guess now we will have A New Hope Special Edition edit:

Leia:  I don't know what you're talking about.  I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Aldeeran.
Vader:  Bitch, please.  I was there as you fled the scene.  Now give daddy the plans.

It would be the equivalent to a police car chase ending with the police stopping the car, confronting the driver and the driver says "is there a problem officer?"

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #4210 on: December 16, 2016, 07:52:09 PM »
Just saw it. Thought it was great!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4211 on: December 16, 2016, 08:34:09 PM »
[SPOILERS]

I thought the music in this was better than TFA, which a lot of people also criticized. Personally I felt this had more memorable themes and more of the classic Star Wars feel. Didn't really have a problem with either movie's score though.

CGI Tarkin looked good, but still looked off enough to take me out of it every time I saw him. Nobody has climbed that steep hole out of the uncanny valley yet. The animation was a bit jittery, the eyes still have the cold dead look, and the lighting wasn't quite perfect, but I was impressed by how extensively they used him. I was expecting a small cameo at most.
However, my brother didn't even realize there was a CGI character in there even after I tried to explain who it was (he's not a big SW fan), and the hardcore SW fan I knew who saw it wasn't sure if it was makeup or CGI, they just knew it had to be something since Cushing is long gone.
CGI Carrie Fisher was a little bit too animated in the movement, but otherwise that looked alright too. It was only for one shot, so they got away with it.

Even though we know where the movie ends, I didn't find it predictable. Even though these characters are one-shot, I only expected one or two token deaths (I knew the chinese guy died because he spoiled it at the SW celebration thing :lol). I was pleasantly surprised what they did there. It gave the movie more meaning imo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4212 on: December 16, 2016, 08:36:31 PM »
So are we just going spoilers everywhere? Movie literally just came out.

Are we not doing spoiler warnings? I honestly have no idea if these long descriptive things are about Rogue One or another SW movie, but it'd be sad if I already have to avoid this thread on opening day.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4213 on: December 16, 2016, 08:38:46 PM »
Doesn't it just make sense to avoid a Star Wars thread when a Star Wars movie comes out though? Unless someone wants to make a separate thread, which I believe was done for TFA.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4214 on: December 16, 2016, 09:00:08 PM »
Doesn't it just make sense to avoid a Star Wars thread when a Star Wars movie comes out though? Unless someone wants to make a separate thread, which I believe was done for TFA.

I mean it just came out. I just think small text or "spoilers below" or something would be easier than everyone who hasn't seen the movie yet completely avoiding any SW thoughts or discussion.

But sure, sadly I dunno when I can see it but I'll just avoid the thread. :(

-slow sad walk away-
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jester

« Reply #4215 on: December 16, 2016, 09:07:07 PM »
So you're the guy.

The funny thing is, when I posted the idea to put (Spoilers) in the thread title, I came in and posted that without reading anything because I had not read it yet.  For all I knew, there were 15 people that already made the same request.  It was pretty simple.  I didn't see it.  It was out.  Expect spoilers.

But I suggested putting it in the title anyway simply because somebody would eventually complain.  I put my first post-viewing post here with a scrolling spoilers.  Then read the previous page and realized others weren't doing it, so it must be annoying to read "spoilers" every single post.

BTW, how did you like the Emperor / Vader love scene?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4216 on: December 17, 2016, 05:16:06 PM »
[SPOILERS]

I watched it tonight. My initial impression was that it was really really good. Definitely the gritty battle-heavy movie I was hoping for, though it did take me about half an hour to settle into the movie, if that makes any sense. Maybe it was the adjustment of seeing new characters, but in the episode IV time setting.

Music. I thought the music was fine. The were enough callbacks to the original themes, with a few memorable moments of new stuff as well. The part with Galen and his scientists on the landing platform was particularly moving. Only a couple of times I heard something that made me think that "John Williams would definitely not have written it this way".

Characters. I liked most of the characters, and by the end I found myself caring about what was happening to them, which I suppose it a good yardstick to judge by. I was worried that K2-SO would be the "joke robot", but thankfully his one-liners were restrained for the most part, and he ended up being pretty useful. (My pet peeve is movies that insert too much comic relief for the sake of it). For now, I'll only say that I wish we got more background on Saw Gerrera. How did he split from the rest of the Rebellion, and what was his relationship with the other rebel leaders? Jyn says that he raised her - I wish we could have had a bit of a flashback or something there to make a bit more of a connection when she's reunited with him again to get the Rebel Alliance their re-introduction. Ben Mendelsohn was great as Director Krennic. I also liked the fact that they didn't go for a straight out romance sub plot between Jyn and Cassian - there were hints towards the end, enough to make you think "what if..", and I was totally fine with that.

CG Characters. Tarkin was well done, but they just didn't have that final magic to make you believe he was real. Soo close at some points, but as soon as he was onscreen my 9 year old points to the screen and says "Dad, is he animated, is he animated?", so they didn't quite fool him either. Leia was so close, up until the point where she spoke and then it kinda gave the game away. Still, these are nitpicks, and not enough to spoil my enjoyment.

Cameos. Won't mention the other obvious one, but did anyone notice the guy from the cantina in Episode VI. The "I have the death sentence on 12 systems" guy?

Vader. Not sure if anyone else though this, but the first scene in Vader's temple with Krennic just felt a bit off. I can't even put my finger on it - not sure if it was the dialog, the physical movements of Vader, or what, but something just didn't click for me.
The part near the end with Vader vs the rebels trapped in the corridor was pure magic, and what I was itching to see as soon as this movie was announced. Worth the price of admission on its own.  :lol

Battle scenes. Definitely the best I have seen in any SW movie. Frenetic, brutal, and action packed. This must be the highest body count we've ever had in SW.

General pacing. At the start I felt like the movie was going a little slow, but the second half just kept picking up pace, and the final half hour or so was just so intense. Excellent stuff.

I don't generally like ranking stuff, and I definitely want to see it again over the next few weeks, but I think that when the dust settles, I will end up ranking this above TFA.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4217 on: December 17, 2016, 05:35:03 PM »
Vader. Not sure if anyone else though this, but the first scene in Vader's temple with Krennic just felt a bit off. I can't even put my finger on it - not sure if it was the dialog, the physical movements of Vader, or what, but something just didn't click for me.

Yeah me too. I think it might have been new vader dialogue after like 33 years. Whole film felt weird to me like a new Star Wars OT movie but all new footage.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4218 on: December 17, 2016, 06:53:31 PM »
Loved the movie. I loved how it tied into ANH.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4219 on: December 17, 2016, 07:19:03 PM »
Just finished watching it and my heart is racing. That was incredible. That felt so damn authentic and exactly what star wars is in my mind. It just nailed it.

It was so gritty and dark. God I loved it.

The end battle was insane, oh my god. I was like a kid again. I really loved this movie

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4220 on: December 17, 2016, 08:22:16 PM »
How was Felicity?

Come on... it's not that tough of a question guys.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4221 on: December 17, 2016, 08:25:26 PM »
Just saw it. Amazing. Loved the music, do not understand at all why people are hating on it.

[SPOILERS]
 "I have the death sentence on 12 systems" guy?

My brother pointed the guy out to me when he saw the movie and I was like "Oh yeah, that's him!"
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4222 on: December 17, 2016, 08:53:32 PM »
I knew in advance the cantina dude was in it from leaked set photos, but I instantly recognized him and the alien anyway, because he's always been one of my favourite minor characters. I used to always randomly say to my friend "MY FRIEND DOESN'T LIKE YOU...... I DON'T LIKE YOU EITHER!" :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #4223 on: December 17, 2016, 09:03:36 PM »
How was Felicity?

She was great. She definitely had the meat of the movie in terms of carrying it at many points and I think her interplay with all the other characters was great.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Jester

« Reply #4224 on: December 17, 2016, 09:46:38 PM »
[SPOILERS]
it did take me about half an hour to settle into the movie

General pacing. At the start I felt like the movie was going a little slow, but the second half just kept picking up pace, and the final half hour or so was just so intense. Excellent stuff.

This seems to be the prevailing consensus: the first 1/2 or 1/3 was anywhere from slow to a "hot mess".

On my first viewing, I had a somewhat different reaction.  The first parts were all the *new stuff*, so that was pure joy to me.  Watching the ship barrel through space onto the planet was one of the best ship to planet landings I've seen in a Star Wars movie.  The direction and perspective vision was great.  So they had me hooked from the first minute.

Now I loved the 3rd act, but that was the pew pew section.  Fun, no doubt.  But not something all that drastically different.  One could even say "member the AT-ATs!!" even if they were a slight variation.  What was impressive was that even though this is yet another "Death Star" Star Wars movie, the rebel attack was not on the Death Star itself.  The pew pew directive was the shield (allowing the transmission).  And I found the shield setup very interesting.  A cross between the Trade Federation ship and the Endor moon shield generator.

But that Vader 3rd act was EFFIN' AWESOME.  Watched it again and it was so incredibly well done.  He had a perfect blend of the prequel Anakin moves and Vader variations (to accommodate his life systems).  He slashed, he force pulled the guns out of their hands, he stabbed right through a person into a door, he force lifted a Rebel up, passed him and then chopped him while still on the ceiling.

Speaking of great "jedi/sith" fighting moves, Donnie Yen reminded me of Maul in his movements.  An actor that could do his own fighting moves better than even a stand in would have.  A great combination of grace and efficiency while kicking butt.  My only problem is they didn't use more of that from him.  His jokes were kinda lame "is your foot alright?" Not funny.  "Are you kidding me?  I'm blind."  The "Are you kidding me?" and Felicity's "seriously?" took me out of the Star Wars universe for a fraction of a second.

BTW, the theater was not as packed as The Force Awakens (not a surprise), but part of that did have to do with it was raining pretty hard when I went.  Don't really care to follow box office numbers.  My only care is that each movie makes enough to set an appropriate budget for the next film (or any budget).  Beyond that, the film gross is something I just don't care about.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4225 on: December 17, 2016, 10:16:45 PM »
So spoilers if you haven't seen the movie .....

The more I think about the first half or first 1/3 of the movie and it's really odd pacing and buildup is I feel they wanted to bridge the gap between episode 3 & 4. So in keeping with the sort of theme of the prequels with  having several planets and jumping around them is the reason why that is there and then settles into a one planet later on.

At least that's how I felt about it later on. The first half is more like the prequels which then transitions onto the original trilogy.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4226 on: December 17, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »
How was Felicity?

She was great. She definitely had the meat of the movie in terms of carrying it at many points and I think her interplay with all the other characters was great.

Thanks man. Glad to hear that.

Offline Jester

« Reply #4227 on: December 17, 2016, 11:24:52 PM »
Spoiler or something (can't tell if we are or aren't doing that)

So spoilers if you haven't seen the movie .....

The more I think about the first half or first 1/3 of the movie and it's really odd pacing and buildup is I feel they wanted to bridge the gap between episode 3 & 4. So in keeping with the sort of theme of the prequels with  having several planets and jumping around them is the reason why that is there and then settles into a one planet later on.

At least that's how I felt about it later on. The first half is more like the prequels which then transitions onto the original trilogy.

But it wasn't really about the planets.  It was about the three main characters.  Jyn, Cassian and Krennic.  It was about their individual journey eventually colliding.  I know most view the first 1/3 as the "worst part", but some of these same people are saying they didn't feel invested in the character's deaths.  It sets up Jyn's abandonment issues and why she doesn't particularly care for the Empire or rebellion.  It quickly sets up Cassian's morally difficult work with the rebel alliance and why he takes to it.  It quickly allows you to see that Krennic is a sociopath.  He will play charming, but it is 100% for his benefit.

Jyn didn't rush back to save the fallen Cassian.  He rubbed off on her.  Cassian regained some of his humanity by connecting Papa Erso to Daughter Erso.  Krennic got to see "beauty" from the other end of the barrel.  His own beautiful barrel no less.

Showing Darth Vader in all his bad assery also was more than giving his character samurai gravitas.  It will show how powerful the idea that his connection to his family is his humanity.  Losing his family takes away his humanity.  Regaining it brings the conflict that leads him back to the light.

As far as I'm concerned, Episode 4, 5 and 6 just became 5, 6 and 7.  I couldn't wait to watch Episode "A New Hope" again.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #4228 on: December 18, 2016, 02:02:19 AM »
SPOILER

As far as I'm concerned, Episode 4, 5 and 6 just became 5, 6 and 7.  I couldn't wait to watch Episode "A New Hope" again.

Yeah, I REALLY like how A New Hope could be played the instant Rogue One ends and, besides the visual quality and special effects, it would be a seamless transition. Someone is going to make that edit and I am going to watch it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4229 on: December 18, 2016, 02:08:27 AM »
I agree with those who saw the beginning 15-20-whatever minutes were pretty choppy. It reminded me of the Warcraft movie, just throwing location after location at us at a really quick rate and expect it to mean something to the viewer. That didn't quite work for me. Luckily it focused up pretty quickly.

Rogue One is a much better movie than Warcraft though.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #4230 on: December 18, 2016, 02:16:15 AM »
I agree with those who saw the beginning 15-20-whatever minutes were pretty choppy. It reminded me of the Warcraft movie, just throwing location after location at us at a really quick rate and expect it to mean something to the viewer. That didn't quite work for me. Luckily it focused up pretty quickly.

Rogue One is a much better movie than Warcraft though.

SPOILER

I have to say, though, after all the places I didn't know or care much about, seeing "YAVIN 4" on the screen made me really god damn happy

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4231 on: December 18, 2016, 02:19:20 AM »
SPOILER

I have to say, though, after all the places I didn't know or care much about, seeing "YAVIN 4" on the screen made me really god damn happy

Agreed.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4232 on: December 18, 2016, 02:51:03 AM »
SPOILER

So apart from the score being probably the worst in a SW-film so far and the pacing being really weird (very similar to his Godzilla movie, we get an amazing last 30 minutes preceded by a lot of slow stuff), I do think most of the characters were underwritten and unfortunately, once they started dying, I didn't really feel that emotional connection with them. The droid was an exception because his death was really well done, but most of the other ones, I didn't really learn enough about them to get emotionally invested. I think Jyn was given a decent amount of backstory and worked, but compared to TFA where all the new characters were really good and the standouts of the film, R1 didn't deliver on the same level IMO.

Offline Jester

« Reply #4233 on: December 18, 2016, 03:02:55 AM »
<something something darkside spoilers>
As far as the "wide" galaxy in the beginning.  Well, STAR wars.

But here's the flipside.  We see Cassian appear on a planet that essentially is just a meeting place for one of his contacts.  If he met him on Scariff, Yavin 4 or Jedha, the complaint would be "what a convenient coincidence for such a large galaxy".  More importantly, it helped establish the wide reach of the Empire while also allowing Cassian's morally grey *rebellion* to gain very early establishment.

It also established that the rebellion was more than just a base on Yavin 4.  It demonstrated the factions of the rebellion / alliance / not friends of the Empire.  Erso wasn't sending the message to the alliance.

The only thing I truly found jarring on first watch was the Rogue One title.  There are things to nitpick, but it is somewhat petty.

Also, Gaelin Erso had a somewhat Darth Vader arc.  His family was his wedge and his redemption.

The more I break the movie down, the more I believe my joy wasn't just a rush of excitement that temporarily overcame the flaws.  Specific one by one ranking is not my thing.  My movie ranking is essentially "do I want to watch this again", how many times can I watch it again before I can't and in a series, can I watch it again with a new set of canon facts when the next one comes out and possibly adds new or extended meaning to the prior movies?  Star Wars has done this for the most part.  Maybe not The Force Awakens though.  It seems more disconnected than this "stand alone" movie.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4234 on: December 18, 2016, 03:18:43 AM »
I happy to finally have a prequel that I love. I like Episode III a lot, but I don't know if I could say that I love it.

I am totally down with more offshoot, individual story films in the future.