Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 463886 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2975 on: September 20, 2015, 09:39:43 AM »
You just need to watch the RLM reviews to see this.

In Episode II Behind The Scenes - he is ADAMANT that Jar Jar stay.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2976 on: September 20, 2015, 04:22:21 PM »
At this point I've probably seen the Plinkett Prequel reviews more times than the actual prequels. They're definitely better made, more entertaining and more enjoyable to watch.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2977 on: September 20, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »
At this point I've probably seen the Plinkett Prequel reviews more times than the actual prequels. They're definitely better made, more entertaining and more enjoyable to watch.

This right here.

I've seen those reviews so many times. Its nice to see someone make gold out of shit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2978 on: September 20, 2015, 04:30:16 PM »
And they're way better written too.

A critique by actual people with film knowledge about a film maker who has no clue about making films.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2979 on: September 21, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »
I'm not sure why everyone is treating this rumor about the original theatrical releases like it is actually going to happen.

It comes from John Landis.  I love John Landis, but he isn't associated with Star Wars in any way.

The logistics on such a thing wouldn't be easy.  Disney can't just do it because they want to do it.  The distribution rights for the first film belong to Fox forever, so that will need to be worked out (although Fox would be stupid not to work it out).

I'll believe it when Disney puts out a press release about it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2980 on: September 21, 2015, 02:10:25 PM »
Disney : We're releasing the original theatrical trilogy in 16:9 and digitally remastered !

FOX : We haven't agreed to this.

Disney : But we already put out our press release !

Calvin6s

« Reply #2981 on: September 21, 2015, 02:16:42 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:05:45 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #2982 on: September 22, 2015, 04:44:45 AM »
And they're way better written too.

A critique by actual people with film knowledge about a film maker who has no clue about making films.

Really? What film knowledge do they actually have? What films had they made prior to their Star Wars review? I'm genuinely curious. What is their experience with filmmaking?

"Mike Stoklasa" and "Jay Bauman" redirect on Wikipedia to "RedLetterMedia", which are famous solely because of their reviews of Star Wars. How can you really say they have more film knowledge than George Lucas? At best, they are good at capitalizing on big-budget franchises by telling the people who made a bunch of money off them how wrong they are because Film 101. Bear in mind, I hated the prequels, but you have to admit that the Plinkett reviews are as pretentious as anything gets. Their popularity is evidence that there are are enough people in the world who have taken Film Studies courses to actually create a targettable demographic, yet most of them also don't make any films.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:56:20 AM by Sub Luna Vitrea »

Calvin6s

« Reply #2983 on: September 22, 2015, 10:21:10 AM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:06:06 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2984 on: September 22, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »
RedLetterMedia

Being in a room for 8 hours with screaming babies and toddlers

Death

Nostalgia Critic.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2985 on: September 22, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »
Really? What film knowledge do they actually have? What films had they made prior to their Star Wars review? I'm genuinely curious. What is their experience with filmmaking?

Experience is not needed for valid criticism. Ever. In anything. Regarding people who also have no knowledge whatsoever, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while – sometimes failure is just incredibly evident from context (other films they've seen) alone.

Obviously, the most educated and best critiques will always be from people who do have the experience.

The problem, or rather one of the biggest problems, with the "where's your summer blockbuster?" argument is that it's an incredibly slippery slope. If I need to make a film – which is incredibly difficult to achieve on any level – just to be able to validly say Attack of the Clones is poorly made, what if I do, but the one I make is a romcom with no-name actors that only ever gets played at a small film festival and never goes anywhere? Besides the actual mechanic of following a film through completion, I'm not informed enough by that to go through a huge sci-fi film with a bajillion dollars of CGI and a year of postproduction and critique those elements. So now I have to go out and somehow make a huge budget sci-fi epic to critique AOTC?

No. I don't have to make any movies whatsoever. I have to see some well made ones, and perhaps read some well written stories, to inform my critique. And the critique will likely be just as valid as some big name director.

It's the same as saying only politicians can critique the political system, or only audio engineers can critique the production of the last DT album. No. That is not a valid response to someone's criticism. It's an ad hominem.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2986 on: September 22, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:06:27 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2987 on: September 22, 2015, 11:41:45 AM »
I like the prequels. There are things about them I could do with out (Jar Jar) and there a things that I love (Most of Episode 3). That being said any film is another type of art. As with any type of art be it film, music, paintings, etc. people are going to have different reactions/opinions about them.  You could take the most experienced film maker and have him say that the prequels were shit and it wouldn't change the fact that I still like them.  Those guys don't like the prequels. Good for them, don't watch them then. I think it's pathetic when people try to prove to others that something is a piece of shit. Toll 2 is the worst movie ever and people LOVE it. What a film expert say about that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2988 on: September 22, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »
That is not a valid response to someone's criticism. It's an ad hominem.

I hate when people do that.

" I'm really not a big fan of [such and such] "

" Too bad. You're just an idiot. "

Then they think that means they "won" the argument....

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2989 on: September 22, 2015, 12:08:01 PM »
That is not a valid response to someone's criticism. It's an ad hominem.

I hate when people do that.

" I'm really not a big fan of [such and such] "

" Too bad. You're just an idiot. "

Then they think that means they "won" the argument....

Especially with music
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2990 on: September 23, 2015, 06:26:05 AM »
There are apparently rumors that Hayden Christensen will reprise his role as Vader in Rogue One and possibly in some capacity for Episode VIII.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2991 on: September 23, 2015, 07:10:08 AM »
I don't think that would happen, but surprisingly I would be all for it. He's not an amazing actor, but I always felt the harsh criticism towards him was overblown. His character was poorly written, and I don't even think Daniel Day-Lewis would have been able to read lines like "Sand is coarse and rough, and it gets everywhere" without it sounding terrible. Plus, I always like when they pay respect to continuity. The prequels might not be the best movies, but IF they are planning on using Vader, I like the idea of using Hayden. Plus, he's already Vader so we don't have to see his face.  ;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2992 on: September 23, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »
I would be a little surprised if they do that.

From what I understand, they are wanting to play up the ties to the OT, but not the PT.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2993 on: September 23, 2015, 08:08:12 AM »
I'm with hef. If they were to show Vader, why would they even need him? I doubt they'd show his face, and he doesn't do the voice either.
While they obviously won't deny/ignore the PT, I don't think they'll play it up in any way. I don't see any benefit to doing so.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2994 on: September 23, 2015, 08:17:29 AM »
If they cast him for anything at all it'll be as a ghost, not as Darth Vader.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2995 on: September 23, 2015, 08:23:20 AM »
If they cast him for anything at all it'll be as a ghost, not as Darth Vader.

Rogue One is set around the same time as A New Hope. It's about some ...well Rogue faction trying to steal the plans to the Death Star.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2996 on: September 23, 2015, 08:35:15 AM »
Episode VIII isn't, though. :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2997 on: September 23, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
No.

It's 30 years since ROTJ. They really need at least one Star Wars film if not all of the sequels to not be about Vader.

There were 3 original films mostly about Vader and his redemption and then a further 3 films about his journey to become Vader.

We do not need any more Vader.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2998 on: September 23, 2015, 08:41:50 AM »
I think a lot of the greatness in Vader was completely ruined in the prequels when they went from having him be a normal jedi who went bad, to being Space Jesus, conceived without a father.

As much as I like the idea of having the Skywalker-family line central of the whole Star Wars story, we have Luke now, and possibly one of the younger characters being his child. We don't NEED to shove Darth Vader into this again. It makes sense for him to appear in Rogue One, and he definitely should, but shoving him into the future movies would just be doing the prequel-mistake again. UNLESS he shows up as a force ghost and it makes sense.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2999 on: September 23, 2015, 11:17:18 AM »
I think a lot of the greatness in Vader was completely ruined in the prequels when they went from having him be a normal jedi who went bad, to being Space Jesus, conceived without a father.

As much as I like the idea of having the Skywalker-family line central of the whole Star Wars story, we have Luke now, and possibly one of the younger characters being his child. We don't NEED to shove Darth Vader into this again. It makes sense for him to appear in Rogue One, and he definitely should, but shoving him into the future movies would just be doing the prequel-mistake again. UNLESS he shows up as a force ghost and it makes sense.
I agree with all of this.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3000 on: September 23, 2015, 11:33:35 AM »
I never really liked the whole "force ghost" thing to begin with. It takes away some of the fear for the characters (the jedi at least) because they'll be fine as ghosts if they die anyways. And it's a bit of a convencience to have them show up and drop knowledge or advice and then just peace out. So I hope they won't play too much on that in the future movies. But I guess a quick Anakin cameo would be fun as long as it's only that, a quick cameo.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3001 on: September 23, 2015, 11:57:24 AM »
Just my take, but they are kind of in a rock in a hard place. The prequels f'd up Vader's premise. So now they, at least from a continuality/story wise have to scramble to try and put it as reasonable. I wish them luck.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3002 on: September 23, 2015, 11:57:38 AM »
But it's JJ directing so Kylo Ren will take his mask off halfway through 7 and go I am VADER !!!!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3003 on: September 23, 2015, 12:04:31 PM »
But it's JJ directing so Kylo Ren will take his mask off halfway through 7 and go I am VADER !!!!

You owe me a new laptop. Cause I just laughed my ass off and have diet mountain dew over my laptop.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:11:56 PM by The Trooper »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3004 on: September 23, 2015, 12:11:01 PM »
Maybe it was Vader with his Jedi skills that took down the Lost plane. What a crossover that would be for JJ.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3005 on: September 23, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »
 :corn

" I thought Midichlorians were to blame for the force ? "

" No Luke...It was MY BLOOD "

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3006 on: September 23, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »
LOL Possibilities are endless  :rollin

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #3007 on: September 24, 2015, 06:54:46 AM »
SLV wasn't the one that stated the credentials.  SLV just questioned them.  SLV didn't say they couldn't criticize.  But if you are going to hold up RLM as holding more merit and have another state the merit means something

Obviously, the most educated and best critiques will always be from people who do have the experience.

then SLV's post was perfectly legit.  (I should know.  I helped run a website forum  :lol )

Glad you understood where I was coming from. I encourage everyone to criticize things as much as possible. That's why I'm criticizing RedLetterMedia, despite the fact that I have never written a widely-watched Youtube video about a summer blockbuster. :P

I think some people spend so much time looking for logical fallacies that it impedes their own ability to logically consider what they are reading.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:59:47 AM by Sub Luna Vitrea »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3008 on: September 24, 2015, 07:52:31 AM »
SLV wasn't the one that stated the credentials.  SLV just questioned them.  SLV didn't say they couldn't criticize.  But if you are going to hold up RLM as holding more merit and have another state the merit means something

then SLV's post was perfectly legit.  (I should know.  I helped run a website forum  :lol )

Glad you understood where I was coming from. I encourage everyone to criticize things as much as possible. That's why I'm criticizing RedLetterMedia, despite the fact that I have never written a widely-watched Youtube video about a summer blockbuster. :P

I think some people spend so much time looking for logical fallacies that it impedes their own ability to logically consider what they are reading.

I also think that a lot of people forget that in the grand scheme of things movies are just movies. I get that people are passionate about them, hell I can't wait for Episode VII, but I think that when people get excited about something and then end up not liking it they try to prove to others that it sucks rather than accepting that they just didn't like it for whatever reason. Everyone has an opinion and I believe that everyone's opinion is relevant. Just becasue some nerds want to spend their time making you tube videos trying to prove what THEY think sucks, or reediting The Hobbit (which I take huge issue with, would someone touch up the Mona Lisa because they didn't like the colors used) doesn't mean they are right.

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #3009 on: September 24, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »
Aren't the Peter Jackson Hobbit movies just one big, three-movie-long attempt to mess with the Mona Lisa though? :P

I personally have not seen them, mostly because I don't want to ruin my childhood.