Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461379 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2800 on: April 24, 2015, 01:07:08 PM »
In 4 it's mostly updated effects, one added scene that's redundant, and one subtle change that arguably has a major impact on how you perceive a main character. This is the change that everyone hates most.

In 5 it's mostly updated effects and scenery.

In 6 there are updated effects, an added musical number, and a few changes in the ending with appearance of certain characters, locations, and the soundtrack.

None of these affect the plot. I'm not sure how specific you want me to be. I don't want to spoil anything. I'm also not sure if it'd be worth it to seek out the theatrical releases. They've never really been released in high quality before.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2801 on: April 24, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »
If you downloaded the new digital editions, they are the Special Editions with all the changes.  AFAIK, it is not possible at this time to get the original theatrical releases of the original 3 films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2802 on: April 24, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:01:50 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2803 on: April 24, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »
If you downloaded the new digital editions, they are the Special Editions with all the changes.  AFAIK, it is not possible at this time to get the original theatrical releases of the original 3 films.
Wasn't there talk to release those on blu-ray?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2804 on: April 24, 2015, 02:19:12 PM »
I've downloaded the first 6 Star Wars films. I'm almost there! Should I start with 4,5, and 6 first?

I know this is nothing new, but:  I remember reading somewhere online that a guy suggested viewing them in the following order:  IV, V, (I), II, III, VI.  With IV and V first, you don't spoil the big reveal, and you then see I - III (possibly omitting I, since it really does not add much to the story that can't be done away with anyway other than just insert a definite "beginning") as a flashback, and preserve the climax of the story with VI.  I have not done it (who has the time?), but it sounds like a cool idea.  Maybe over the holidays to gear up for the release of VII.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2805 on: April 24, 2015, 02:39:47 PM »
if Disney released the Original Trilogy Theatrical versions on Blu Ray - they'd make back the $4bn they paid for Lucasfilm in one week.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2806 on: April 24, 2015, 02:44:25 PM »
There is a fervent desire on the part of a large vocal section of the fanbase.  But there has been no word of it from Fox or Disney of which I'm aware.

However, hope springs eternal now the Disney owns Star Wars.  George Lucas would never, ever have released them, but he is no longer in control.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2807 on: April 24, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
If they still exist, Disney will release them eventually.  I can virtually guarantee it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2808 on: April 24, 2015, 02:54:21 PM »
I've downloaded the first 6 Star Wars films. I'm almost there! Should I start with 4,5, and 6 first?

I know this is nothing new, but:  I remember reading somewhere online that a guy suggested viewing them in the following order:  IV, V, (I), II, III, VI.  With IV and V first, you don't spoil the big reveal, and you then see I - III (possibly omitting I, since it really does not add much to the story that can't be done away with anyway other than just insert a definite "beginning") as a flashback, and preserve the climax of the story with VI.  I have not done it (who has the time?), but it sounds like a cool idea.  Maybe over the holidays to gear up for the release of VII.

I'm pretty sure I did that (well.. tried too... ran out of time) and it worked out well. :tup

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2809 on: April 24, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »
If they still exist, Disney will release them eventually.  I can virtually guarantee it.
TBH, they may not exist.  I know that the print of Star Wars had to be painstakingly restored before work could even be done on creating the Special Edition released in 1997.

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #2810 on: April 24, 2015, 03:02:27 PM »
The original theatrical cuts have been released before, but I'm in the weird position of having first seen the digitally-remastered VHS releases, prior to the Special Edition releases. They said "Digitally remastered with THX" and began with director's commentary on the making of the films, which you had to fast-forward through. I basically want those on Blu-Ray, with the good sound but without the stupid special edition changes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2811 on: April 24, 2015, 03:45:32 PM »
I think though nevet in 5.1.  I believe 4,5 & 6 were only released in 2.0.  Which leads me to this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_JNuIN33Wk
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Calvin6s

« Reply #2812 on: April 24, 2015, 03:49:22 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:02:06 PM by Calvin6s »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2813 on: April 24, 2015, 03:54:01 PM »
I stopped buying them since George will put out every other version but that one. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2814 on: April 24, 2015, 07:23:33 PM »
TBH, they may not exist.  I know that the print of Star Wars had to be painstakingly restored before work could even be done on creating the Special Edition released in 1997.
At this point, I wouldn't even mind getting the 97 versions on blu ray if that's the best they can do. There's some bad CGI there but iirc the really awful edits were made on later versions.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2815 on: April 24, 2015, 07:36:41 PM »
I would gladly take the 97 version on blu ray over the jango fett voice, shoe horned in Hayden Christensen, vader going no no at the end of Jedi non sense. No thank you. And besides that I much prefer the original emperor in Empire.

You don't know what you have till its gone  :'(

Even stupid little stuff like this makes no sense. Just leave it alone

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:47:02 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2816 on: April 24, 2015, 07:51:03 PM »
I would gladly take the 97 version on blu ray over the jango fett voice, shoe horned in Hayden Christensen, vader going no no at the end of Jedi non sense. No thank you. And besides that I much prefer the original emperor in Empire.
Oh yea, I forgot about that. People give the special editions shit but putting Ian McDiarmid in Empire was a good call. I also don't mind the restored lightsabers in the first movie.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2817 on: April 24, 2015, 08:51:16 PM »
I stopped buying them since George will put out every other version but that one. :lol

But those are his "true" vision, completely not motived by money or the incessant need to tinker with things.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2818 on: April 24, 2015, 09:39:29 PM »
If it was posted before, then I apologize.. but the Matthew McConaughey reaction video is pretty darn spot on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYHdQUyOunA
Yeah, I'm way too excited for this movie, like I think something really special is coming.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:49:12 AM by Dark Castle »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2819 on: April 25, 2015, 01:26:04 AM »
There is a fervent desire on the part of a large vocal section of the fanbase.  But there has been no word of it from Fox or Disney of which I'm aware.

However, hope springs eternal now the Disney owns Star Wars.  George Lucas would never, ever have released them, but he is no longer in control.
The rumor is debunked but I clearly remembered reading about it some time ago.

Yep here it is:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139125-Disney-Star-Wars-Original-Unaltered-Theatrical-Release-Blu-ray

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2820 on: April 25, 2015, 04:05:37 AM »
The original version has never been released on DVD or Blu-ray.  It was released on VHS.

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #2821 on: April 25, 2015, 05:44:13 AM »
I specifically remember there having been a DVD release with the original theatrical cuts on a "bonus disc."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2822 on: April 25, 2015, 05:55:20 AM »
I specifically remember there having been a DVD release with the original theatrical cuts on a "bonus disc."
I think you are mistaken.  The final release of the original versions was on VHS in 1995.  The Special Editions were released theatrically in 1997, and everything since then has been the Special Edition.

Star Wars didn't debut on DVD until 2004; by that time, the original versions were already gone, baby, gone.

This is the release that I have.  I fully intend to acquire them on Blu-ray.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2823 on: April 25, 2015, 05:57:12 AM »
The original theatrical versions were released on DVD as bonus discs to a re-release of the special editions, but they were bad letterboxed transfers from the same master as the laserdisc version. So the original versions have been released on DVD, but it was half-assed at best.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2824 on: April 25, 2015, 06:05:31 AM »
The original theatrical versions were released on DVD as bonus discs to a re-release of the special editions, but they were bad letterboxed transfers from the same master as the laserdisc version. So the original versions have been released on DVD, but it was half-assed at best.

Yeah, I stayed away from them.

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #2825 on: April 25, 2015, 07:15:04 AM »
As a new member, I should have you all know that I keep score of every argument I win and lose. The score so far:

SLV: 1
h42: 0

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2826 on: April 25, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #2827 on: April 25, 2015, 08:50:25 AM »
:P

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2828 on: April 25, 2015, 10:01:35 AM »
Ah, that rings a bell now.  That's right, from the Laserdisc transfer.

OK, they haven't been released in a vaguely good viewable version on DVD.

And frankly, the fact that it was the Laserdisc transfer that was used in the first place doesn't speak well of the current status of the original print, especially given what we know of the headaches involved in producing the Special Editions.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2829 on: April 25, 2015, 02:10:03 PM »
I have the bonus disc versions. Its great to at least have an original version available, but oh my god, is the quality bad. Still happy to have them though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2830 on: April 25, 2015, 07:57:05 PM »
And frankly, the fact that it was the Laserdisc transfer that was used in the first place doesn't speak well of the current status of the original print, especially given what we know of the headaches involved in producing the Special Editions.

Absolutely.
Hopefully Lucas's contract with Disney didn't have any clause about releasing the original editions. It appears that releasing the theatrical versions in HD would involve quite a bit of work and money.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2831 on: April 26, 2015, 05:33:40 AM »
Money which i'm sure that they would make back tenfold  :biggrin:

Also - 6 new SW films over the next 6 years. - The Force Awakens is bound to make at least $1.5bn. Easily.

If the other 5 all make at least half of that - Disney will have made a good profit after Merchandise and Home Cinema.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2832 on: May 01, 2015, 02:17:34 AM »

Do we really need the originals, though? They should just release a "Shittiness Reduced" version. Put a CGI Shaw back in RotJ's ending, edit out the godawful dance scene in Hutt's palace, mute Vader's "NOoooOOOoo", put the original Krayt Dragon scream back in ANH and you have a decent version again.

I don't think I'm missing anything.

Edit: How could I forget one of the biggest ones? Have Han pew-pew Greedo first.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2833 on: May 01, 2015, 02:26:50 AM »
Four unfinished Clone Wars episodes are released online. I started watching them, but when I realized just how unfinished they were, I lost interest.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2834 on: May 01, 2015, 02:29:46 AM »

Do we really need the originals, though? They should just release a "Shittiness Reduced" version. Put a CGI Shaw back in RotJ's ending, edit out the godawful dance scene in Hutt's palace, mute Vader's "NOoooOOOoo", put the original Krayt Dragon scream back in ANH and you have a decent version again.

I don't think I'm missing anything.

Edit: How could I forget one of the biggest ones? Have Han pew-pew Greedo first.

You're missing quite a bit, ranging from minor to major. Lots of replaced background mattes or entirely new establishing shots, tweaked colouring, the infamous Greedo shooting first (and obviously ditch the awful Jabba scene from ANH), replacing many of the space shots with new CG ones, replacing all of Boba Fett's dialogue with that NZ guy, new creatures and characters added to many shots, badly changing the lightsaber colours, removing Vader's eyebrows, adding rocks to hide R2, so many other random CG elements added for no reason, replacing the emperor.
A lot of the changes are just fine or an improvement, but there are just as many that were unnecessary and silly, and don't match the original film.

While I don't have a problem with them mixing and matching in theory, a lot of people just want to see the original theatrical cut as they grew up with pre-SE, not to mention it would be a travesty not to preserve the original unaltered version of such a huge film for posterity. Keep "Ep IV: A New Hope" in the opening crawl, keep the fixes to the blue screen effects and matte box problems, but otherwise just release a clean version of the movie. Then they can still release their new version as Lucas says he always intended without people complaining. Two versions of the movie is fine. Then if fans want some kind of inbetween hybrid, they can sort it out.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:38:24 AM by BlobVanDam »