Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461222 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2240 on: September 19, 2014, 07:34:30 PM »
Not to mention most people didn't notice ET in The Phantom Menace.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2241 on: September 19, 2014, 07:54:19 PM »
I just saw that clip the other day. I'd never noticed it before, probably because TPM is painful enough without paying that close attention to it. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2242 on: September 19, 2014, 07:58:12 PM »
I just saw that clip the other day. I'd never noticed it before, probably because TPM is painful enough without paying that close attention to it. :P
I can enjoy it. My biggest gripe is Jake Lloyd, his dialogue, and his delivery of said crappy dialogue. Other than that, I don't mind it.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2243 on: September 19, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »
Liam Neeson is awesome.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2244 on: September 19, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »
Nah, JJ and Zach Snyder (the director of Batman v. Superman) have been trading things like this back and forth for months.

Interesting, but Abrams and Snyder don't own the IP (or the music cut into that sneak peek), it is owned by each respective studio.

I'm sure the studios aren't pleased with their IP being used as easter eggs by the directors they've engaged, but not much they can do about it as long as it mostly goes by unnoticed.  If the Batman tumbler were to end up on a toy Falcon or model sculpture for sale, I'm sure it would change the situation, however unlikely. 

Not to mention most people didn't notice ET in The Phantom Menace.

Plus: Artoo and C-3PO on the fresco in the Well of Souls in Raiders (but IP for both films are owned by Lucasfilm).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2245 on: September 19, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
I'm sure the studios aren't pleased with their IP being used as easter eggs by the directors they've engaged
They don't care.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2246 on: September 19, 2014, 08:15:27 PM »
I can enjoy it. My biggest gripe is Jake Lloyd, his dialogue, and his delivery of said crappy dialogue. Other than that, I don't mind it.

Unfortunately that's way too much of the movie for me. :lol The last time I tried to watch it, I just couldn't handle it. And while there is some decent stuff in there aside from that, it's not close to good enough to make up for it imo.

It's like seeing a dollar in the middle of a pile of shit. It's not really worth fishing through that much shit just to get the dollar, unless you're a desperate hobo, or someone who's really nostalgic about shit because you saw the same pile of shit 15 years ago when you were a kid and at the time thought shit was pretty fun because you didn't know any better.

Metaphorically speaking, of course. :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2247 on: September 19, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »
As much as I generally dislike TPM, it has two things going for it.   1) Best light saber duel of the ENTIRE FRANCHISE...BAR NONE.  I don't see how this could possibly disputed by any sane human being.   That duel was nothing but pure awesome.    And 2) (which I gather is far more disputed, and I find myself in the minority) The Pod Race.   I'm not as staunch about this one, but I still don't get the hate from some people.  That race on the big screen is really fun to watch.    Heck, that race on my big screen TV is fun to watch.    Though, I will admit that I lost some respect for it after seeing the original (the original being the infamous chariot race scene from Ben Hur...which was so mind blowing that I went out and bought it on BluRay almost immediately)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2248 on: September 19, 2014, 08:36:17 PM »
I can't stand Jake Lloyd or Jar Jar Binks.  Or the underwater stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2249 on: September 19, 2014, 09:15:42 PM »
1) Best light saber duel of the ENTIRE FRANCHISE...BAR NONE.  I don't see how this could possibly disputed by any sane human being.   That duel was nothing but pure awesome.   

It's flashy but it doesn't have the emotion behind it like the ones from TESB and ROTJ. Those are so much better in the overall context of the movies and the series.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2250 on: September 19, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »
While that may be true, I really think that's being overly dismissive of the duel.   The stuntman (whose name escapes me) that donned the Darth Maul makeup completely stole the show.   He single handedly turned that entire scene into one of the greatest action sequences put to film.   

When I think "flashy" action sequences, I think of things like XXX or anything staring The Rock.   This was more like the famous car chase scene from T2...it was that good.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2251 on: September 19, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »
I can't really recall anything about it off the top of my head and I've seen the movie several times. I main reason I would consider it flashy is the fact that the guy had a dual lightsaber purely for the "oh shit!" factor. When you really think about it, it's kind of a stupid weapon.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2252 on: September 19, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
I'm sure the studios aren't pleased with their IP being used as easter eggs by the directors they've engaged
They don't care.

I work in Hollywood, and in the entertainment law field in particular, so my experience with the studios is that they tend to be overly sensitive about this area.  Of course, maybe not in these instances since its nothing egregious.  But I've been involved in matters where the studios have taken up some fairly extreme positions based on relatively similar circumstances.  It all depends I guess. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2253 on: September 19, 2014, 10:25:21 PM »
A large part of the marketing for these films is coming from this free advertising in social media.  Fans eat this stuff up.  And the studios trust these filmmakers.  I'm sure that if they really had a problem with it, something would have been said when Snyder posted pics of Henry Cavill wearing Jedi robes over his Superman uniform wielding a lightsaber.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2254 on: September 19, 2014, 11:35:55 PM »
A large part of the marketing for these films is coming from this free advertising in social media.  Fans eat this stuff up.  And the studios trust these filmmakers.  I'm sure that if they really had a problem with it, something would have been said when Snyder posted pics of Henry Cavill wearing Jedi robes over his Superman uniform wielding a lightsaber.

I am referring to when IP gets put into the final film product, not the social media campaigns.  I didn't mean to imply that the video is problematic per se.  I'm only speaking from a hypothetical point of view.  If Warners were selling pictures of Henry Cavill in a Jedi robe, sure Disney would have a gripe.   Obviously, if the tumbler is in the film but it can't be seen, then there is no issue.  If it winds up being featured on a toy, I imagine there is an issue.   

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2255 on: September 20, 2014, 12:02:21 AM »
Assuming they keep it as part of the Falcon, when scaled down to toy size, it's nothing, unrecognizably tiny. A toy would likely be based on a CG model or the existing models, so it's unlikely it would be included anyway. As it is, every Millennium Falcon model has been replicating existing parts of other people's models which are much bigger, and it's never been an issue as far as I'm aware.

I'd be surprised if it's even noticeable in the final movie either. Had it not been pointed out, it would probably have forever remained unknown.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2256 on: September 20, 2014, 01:13:56 AM »
Surely it would be less noticeable than Qui-Gonn's communicator being a woman's razor. No one complained about that, either.

Also, less noticeable, and even less relevant, but fun to know. The floor of the reactor core is made of 1500 fishing rods.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:19:08 AM by MetalJunkie »

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2257 on: September 20, 2014, 05:44:10 AM »
^^ Of course if you change the product so that it  no longer resembles the product or its intended use there isn't any infringement.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2258 on: September 20, 2014, 07:48:11 AM »
I can't really recall anything about it off the top of my head and I've seen the movie several times. I main reason I would consider it flashy is the fact that the guy had a dual lightsaber purely for the "oh shit!" factor. When you really think about it, it's kind of a stupid weapon.
What exactly is stupid about it? It's like a staff, except it can slice you in half on either side. With the right training you can take on multiple people, and it can be used to great effect defensively or offensively.
Don't you talk down on the greatest Sith 4eva.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2259 on: September 20, 2014, 08:57:17 AM »
Limited movement in the horizontal axis. Didn't he slice himself in half or something? Maybe Obi Wan did it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2260 on: September 20, 2014, 08:59:17 AM »
Limited movement in the horizontal axis. Didn't he slice himself in half or something? Maybe Obi Wan did it.
That part was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Darth Maul just watches Obi Wan jump up, and just stood there as Obi Wan sliced him in half. He had so much time to react.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2261 on: September 20, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »
And it goes against having the higher ground from the end of ROTS.

EDIT : Unless Obi was remembering the Darth Maul fight and knew that Anakin would try the same thing and was tricking him into it or yadda yadda

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2262 on: September 21, 2014, 04:46:04 AM »
The double-sided lightsaber WAS stupid.  Sure it looked cool, but that was it.  He didn't slice himself in half, but it's a miracle, the way he was twirling it around.

I love Darth Maul, and he was woefully underutilized, but that lightsaber was ridiculous.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2263 on: September 21, 2014, 05:52:04 AM »
The double-sided lightsaber WAS stupid.  Sure it looked cool, but that was it.  He didn't slice himself in half, but it's a miracle, the way he was twirling it around.

I love Darth Maul, and he was woefully underutilized, but that lightsaber was ridiculously awesome.

Fixed.  The dude was a Sith Lord.  Of course he didn't slice himself in half!  Put that in the hands of Han Solo, and you have Han Double.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2264 on: September 21, 2014, 05:55:15 AM »
He was and the lightsaber the only redeeming thing on Episode one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2265 on: September 21, 2014, 03:56:30 PM »
Darth Maul wasn't built up enough as a character for me to label him as interesting. He was in, what, three scenes with only one lasting more than 10 seconds? I never understood why people thought he was a remotely worthwhile part of the series.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2266 on: September 21, 2014, 03:59:57 PM »
Darth Maul wasn't built up enough as a character for me to label him as interesting. He was in, what, three scenes with only one lasting more than 10 seconds? I never understood why people thought he was a remotely worthwhile part of the series.

He is the proverbial "Boba Fett" of the Prequels.    He dominates every second he's on the screen without saying a single word.   THAT'S why.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2267 on: September 21, 2014, 04:21:47 PM »

Because he was dark and there was nothing remotely interesting in the movie.  That's not hard to understand.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2268 on: September 21, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »
I suppose. He's pretty much just a juggalo with a lightsaber.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: September 21, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
People wanted more from that movie and a juggalo would have been better than that plot.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2270 on: September 21, 2014, 05:02:50 PM »
Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:13:26 PM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2271 on: September 21, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »

I love Darth Maul, and he was woefully underutilized, but that lightsaber was ridiculously awesome.

Fixed.  The dude was a Sith Lord.  Of course he didn't slice himself in half!  Put that in the hands of Han Solo, and you have Han Double Duo.
FIFY ;)

I'll agree that he was one of the more interesting parts of that movie. I'm not sure whether that speaks to his mystery or character strength (he's really just a thug with a big, glowy stick) or to the relative weakness of the film as a whole. I'm gonna go with a little of both I guess.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2272 on: September 22, 2014, 12:47:55 AM »
Darth Maul was only good because of Peter Serafinowicz (?)

He repeats his lines in an episode of Spaced :D

I bet he doesn't charge for autographs either as Ray Parks did. ::)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2273 on: October 03, 2014, 01:54:37 PM »

I love Darth Maul, and he was woefully underutilized, but that lightsaber was ridiculous.

Well, if we're being honest, lightsabers, in general, are stupid.  "Let's swing around a weapon that, if it accidentally touches me, will lop off a limb!"

When I first saw the previews for Episode I, I was hoping to see him turn the blades on and off, individually, as he swung it around.  Or be able to separate it into two sabers, or something.

Offline j

« Reply #2274 on: October 03, 2014, 06:53:32 PM »

I agree.  I never thought he was cool or interesting at all.

-J