Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461236 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1820 on: April 29, 2014, 10:39:46 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, the cast of Star Wars Episode VII:

Source
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1821 on: April 29, 2014, 10:44:07 AM »
lol even R2 is at that meeting
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1822 on: April 29, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »
Damn Dude, you were fast on reposting that. :lol
I think the starwars.com page is being hammered right about now. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1823 on: April 29, 2014, 10:49:07 AM »

Yeah must be, because I can't even get on it!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: April 29, 2014, 10:51:40 AM »

Yeah must be, because I can't even get on it!

It eventually loaded for me, but it took a while!

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.

I believe this is the first official announcement of the original cast's involvement. The worst kept secret ever. :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1825 on: April 29, 2014, 10:52:17 AM »
Andy Serkis! :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1826 on: April 29, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
I hope Andy Serkis plays Jar Jar Binx's grandson!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1827 on: April 29, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »
:caffeine:

I cannot wait!

And with Panda's line of work... we will probably get to go to a press screening :corn

OR MAYBE THE PREMIER!??!!??!

Probably a screening...

WOOO
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1828 on: April 29, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.

I believe this is the first official announcement of the original cast's involvement. The worst kept secret ever. :lol

To be fair, that's because Carrie Fisher blabbed at the first opportunity she got. I'm sure Disney actually had all of them under a confidentiality agreement or whatever you call it, but she's a wacko and what are they gonna do, find someone else to be older Leia?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: April 29, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »

To be fair, that's because Carrie Fisher blabbed at the first opportunity she got. I'm sure they actually had all of them under a confidentiality agreement or whatever you call it, but she's a wacko and what are they gonna do, find someone else to be older Leia?

George Lucas also confirmed it from what I recall. Even if she hadn't said anything, it was blindingly obvious at this point that they were all returning. Nutjob or not, I think having the original Leia is worth putting up with it for them. :lol
I don't know a lot of the new cast, so I don't have any thoughts on them. But I like that they've gone with less known people than the prequels did.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1830 on: April 29, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »
Adam Driver was speculated a while back to have been the villain, and his inclusion in this list makes it a little more likely.

God, I don't know if having this cast list makes me feel better about the wait or more anxious for 2015 to hurry the fuck up and get here already. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: April 29, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »
Yep, I remember seeing his name come up at that time. A couple of the other people also look familiar from earlier casting rumours.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: April 29, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »
So - who can name everyone in that picture ?

I know Abrams - Ford - Fisher -  Serkis - Hamill.

I know the names of the others but couldn't put the name to the face - like Anthony Daniels and Peter Mayhew..

And predictions !!! This film is *obviously* going to be HUGE - does anyone think it will topple

• Titanic
• The Avengers

Bearing in mind that The Phantom Menace made close to $1bn on it's initial run.  Will the interest in this one be higher or lower due to Abrams involvement ?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1833 on: April 29, 2014, 12:21:27 PM »
I can additionally pick out Mayhew (far right reading what I guess might be the script). Then the guy just to JJ's right I'm guessing is Daniels.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1834 on: April 29, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »
I think it could top the likes of Avatar or Titanic, though it'll need to be a quality entry in the Star Wars lore to give it that extra push to top such films financially.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: April 29, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
I can't see it making three billion dollars myself.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1836 on: April 29, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
I can.  Easily.  Star Wars fans are fanatical.  Add to that the fact that many of them have 2 generations of offspring that are also fans.  And then you have the general moviegoing public that will line up to see any blockbuster or movie that looks like it could be mildly entertaining, and you've got a formula for easily cracking that mark.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1837 on: April 29, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »
I can additionally pick out Mayhew (far right reading what I guess might be the script). Then the guy just to JJ's right I'm guessing is Daniels.

I think Daniels is in the lower left, with his back to us.  He's skinny and has light gray hair (and kinda looks like C3PO, even when he's not in the suit).

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1838 on: April 29, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »
I can.  Easily.  Star Wars fans are fanatical.  Add to that the fact that many of them have 2 generations of offspring that are also fans.  And then you have the general moviegoing public that will line up to see any blockbuster or movie that looks like it could be mildly entertaining, and you've got a formula for easily cracking that mark.

Bingo.

Think about it; the Star Wars franchise has a natural pulling power, where it'll draw in a lot of money pretty easily regardless of whether or not it's a decent film (i.e. the entire Prequel trilogy). But on top of that, I also think that all of those fans want to see another great Star Wars film too, so if Abrams delivers on that, this movie will be huge.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1839 on: April 29, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
I really, really like the new cast, especially John Boyega, Adam Driver, and ANDY FUCKING SERKIS!!!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1840 on: April 29, 2014, 12:56:23 PM »
I really, really like the new cast, especially John Boyega, Adam Driver, and ANDY FUCKING SERKIS!!!

Don't forget MAX VON SYDOW! :metal

But actually, I'm really curious about Daisy Ridley. Word on the street has been that the main character of the new trilogy was going to be a female Jedi (a la Jaina Solo), so if that's true, then it looks like she'll be the heroine of the series.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1841 on: April 29, 2014, 01:01:14 PM »

Don't forget MAX VON SYDOW! :metal

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: April 29, 2014, 01:18:03 PM »

I assume Serkis will be playing a CGI character. . . .

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1843 on: April 29, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »
I hope he doesn't, actually.  I would hate to see him get pigeonholed like that.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1844 on: April 29, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »
Definitely, he would make an AWESOME sith and/or dark side character with his face and demeanor alone, he may be my favorite actor among the newbies; definitely got the chops.

I'm really interested in this after seeing the cast list and direction they're going. Woot! The wait begins, and the hype train is boarding.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: April 29, 2014, 01:51:48 PM »
I hope he doesn't, actually.  I would hate to see him get pigeonholed like that.

I agree.  But, if he does, he and Ray Park can form a club for actors whose faces are always hidden.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1846 on: April 29, 2014, 01:58:15 PM »
Can we include that cow Natalie Portman and change the name to "actors whose faces should always been hidden?"  /offtopic

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1847 on: April 29, 2014, 02:02:25 PM »
Can we include that cow Natalie Portman and change the name to "actors whose faces should always been hidden?"  /offtopic

THIS...   Although I would say Skelotor or Gollum would be a more appropriate comparison than "cow"...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1848 on: April 29, 2014, 02:57:24 PM »

What.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1849 on: April 29, 2014, 03:03:24 PM »
I'm very confused on the previous statements that have just been made

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1850 on: April 29, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »

What.

Oh, I forgot.  She was in Star Wars prequels, so since she had some association with the franchise, she can do no wrong in your eyes. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1851 on: April 29, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »
As a prequel hater, I must nevertheless agree: what

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1852 on: April 29, 2014, 03:13:18 PM »
What's wrong with Natalie Portman?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1853 on: April 29, 2014, 03:25:55 PM »
Speaking only for myself...I just don't get how she can be so UBER REVERED as being this picture of beauty.   I suppose Twiggy and Kate Moss have those that drool over them as well...I just don't get it.   

Everyone is different.   Popeye loved Olive Oyl.   But I just don't get it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1854 on: April 29, 2014, 03:27:04 PM »
I don't think she's the most beautiful woman ever, but she's pleasant-looking, at the very least.