Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 463753 times)

Offline zepp-head

Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1785 on: March 20, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »
I love the theme and how it ties everything together, especially Vader's redemption in Return of the Jedi.  As I said before, it's a tragedy it was never filmed, and now the meaning only exists in subtlety.

The Clone Wars show is VERY hit and miss, but I loved Yoda's final line.  Basically it was about achieving victory not for the Clone Wars, but for all time.  It makes it even sadder, to me anyway, that they are continuing the films after such a great and all encompassing ending in Episode VI.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1786 on: March 20, 2014, 01:08:13 PM »
Thanks for that, zepp-head.

(you can hear him briefly in Episode II as well)

Okay, now I have to check this out.  What scene and/or time stamp?

The unfortunate thing is that that is a fairly good idea, but as with so many other things in the movie, it was grossly mishandled to the point that it almost felt insignificant. 

Agreed.  As I said, it was cool that George even remembered to include it, because it was a pretty big unknown to leave completely unaddressed, but when I realized that that was all we were going to get, I was pretty disappointed.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1787 on: March 20, 2014, 02:12:54 PM »
Thanks for that, zepp-head.

(you can hear him briefly in Episode II as well)

Okay, now I have to check this out.  What scene and/or time stamp?

Not sure of the exact time, but it's right after Anakin slaughters the Sand People.  Yoda is seen meditating and feeling Anakin's pain.  He very quickly here's Qui-Gon shout "Anakin!" and possibly "No!", though it is debated whether the "No" is him or not, since it sounds nothing like him.  The "Anakin" appears to be a recycled take from The Phantom Menace.

It isn't much, but Lucas points out that Yoda is confused by this because the Jedi don't yet know they can communicate with the departed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1788 on: March 20, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »
Whoa, that's wacky.  I'll check it out.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1789 on: April 22, 2014, 06:24:39 AM »
Slightly off topic but fasten your nerd belt and behold:

Here's a better seized version: https://dirkloechel.deviantart.com/art/Size-Comparison-Science-Fiction-spaceships-398790051

Pretty damn cool of you ask me!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1790 on: April 22, 2014, 06:38:38 AM »
Love that pic. In other, somewhat more related news: https://www.starwarsuncut.com/newhope
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1791 on: April 22, 2014, 09:04:17 AM »
Why does my mind keep reading that link as starwarscunt?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1792 on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
Because you have dsexylia.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1793 on: April 26, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »
So Lucasfilm made it official today, everything is non-canon except the movies and The Clone Wars series.  Glorified fan-fiction is now confirmed fan-fiction, and while I understand while some are upset over it, it had to happen and there were a million reasons for it.

Everything here on out is canon however, including new EU stories.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1794 on: April 26, 2014, 08:32:16 PM »
Honestly, I don't think they retconned enough. I can understand keeping the 2003-2005 Clone Wars series as canon, but I can't stand the fact that they're still considering the 2008 series canon.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1795 on: April 26, 2014, 09:45:14 PM »
So Lucasfilm made it official today, everything is non-canon except the movies and The Clone Wars series.  Glorified fan-fiction is now confirmed fan-fiction, and while I understand while some are upset over it, it had to happen and there were a million reasons for it.

I couldn't be happier about that. I'm sick of hearing people bitching about things that should be in the new movies from EU, when it all sounds just awful.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1796 on: April 26, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »
Honestly, I don't think they retconned enough.

I know. They should've included the Special Editions of the OT as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1797 on: April 26, 2014, 10:30:39 PM »

:lol
I wouldn't be surprised if part of the contract with Lucas involved keeping the SE versions around for a little while, or if Disney just don't want to instantly piss him off before even releasing a new movie.
But they couldn't denounce the SE versions just yet anyway, as they unfortunately don't have a good copy of the unedited OT to release.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1798 on: April 26, 2014, 10:30:49 PM »

:horatio:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1799 on: April 27, 2014, 04:16:19 AM »

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1800 on: April 27, 2014, 04:18:29 AM »

Amen. Anything post 1983 never happened. And while were at it, lets digitally remove those ewoks too.  ;D

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1801 on: April 27, 2014, 08:43:10 AM »

Amen. Anything post 1983 never happened. And while were at it, lets digitally remove those ewoks too.  ;D

Although to be fair, I really didn't think the 1997 edition of ESB was all that bad.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1802 on: April 27, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »

Although to be fair, I really didn't think the 1997 edition of ESB was all that bad.

Possibly the only change I actually liked in the Special Editions, was Ian McDermond replacing the original actor (whoever it was) as the Emperor.  George wanted more continuity, and that was the only scene where he was probably correct to do so.   

Although, the I wish they would have kept the creepy, peeled eye effect.   That was really cool...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: April 27, 2014, 09:37:51 AM »
It's been a while since I've seen them all, but I recall my biggest gripes being in ANH, most obviously the infamous Greedo shooting first (which has looked progressively more ridiculous with each time they try to make that terrible idea work), and the inclusion of the Han/Jabba scene. I think it was only stuck in the SE for the sake of adding something, but it should have remained as a deleted scene.

There were many nice little changes made to the newer editions of the movie that I have no complaint about, while other changes were just pointless at best. It's mostly the huge in-your-face changes that bother me though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1804 on: April 27, 2014, 09:48:03 AM »
When I saw the newer versions of Episodes 4 through 6 I should have known it was a precursor to Lucas worrying about the landscapes instead of the storylines for 1 through 3.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1805 on: April 27, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »

Possibly the only change I actually liked in the Special Editions, was Ian McDermond replacing the original actor (whoever it was) as the Emperor.  George wanted more continuity, and that was the only scene where he was probably correct to do so.   

Although, the I wish they would have kept the creepy, peeled eye effect.   That was really cool...
I agree, that was actually a good change. Unfortunately, it seemed as if Ian was half-asleep when he did that scene and the makeup on him was less than stellar. That may seem like nitpicking and it kinda is, but that just goes to show Empire emerged as the least fucked up by Lucas of the special editions. ANH, on the other hand, I can't even watch anymore because of all the pointless or terrible crap that was added in seemingly just because.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1806 on: April 27, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
It's been a while since I've seen them all, but I recall my biggest gripes being in ANH, most obviously the infamous Greedo shooting first (which has looked progressively more ridiculous with each time they try to make that terrible idea work), and the inclusion of the Han/Jabba scene. I think it was only stuck in the SE for the sake of adding something, but it should have remained as a deleted scene.

Those are the two that bug me, too.  The Greedo scene, not because it "changes history" or anything that the fanboys whine about, but because it changes the fundamental character of Han Solo.  Shooting first, before some lame-ass bounty hunter can bring you in, is bad ass.  He was a smuggler and a dirtbag and didn't take any shit.  That's what made his redemption by the end of the movie mean something.

The Jabba scene was reworked and a lot of the dialog reused; that's what makes including it lame.  Now it's just stupid because you hear basically the same conversation twice.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1807 on: April 27, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »

Those are the two that bug me, too.  The Greedo scene, not because it "changes history" or anything that the fanboys whine about, but because it changes the fundamental character of Han Solo.  Shooting first, before some lame-ass bounty hunter can bring you in, is bad ass.  He was a smuggler and a dirtbag and didn't take any shit.  That's what made his redemption by the end of the movie mean something.

Eh, call me a heretic, but I never believed for a second that it said anything about Han Solo either way.  Whether Greedo shoots or doesn't, Han had a gun pointed at him the entire time.  Any shot he takes is in self defense.

And leave it to an Internet forum to turn the EU news into yet another opportunity to voice disgruntled opinions on special editions and prequels.  That totally wasn't already old 15 years ago.  :lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1808 on: April 28, 2014, 08:09:08 AM »

The Jabba scene was reworked and a lot of the dialog reused; that's what makes including it lame.  Now it's just stupid because you hear basically the same conversation twice.
The Greedo scene is especially bad because of awful and fake the whole thing looks. Greedo misses from like three feet away and Han is just sitting there? What the hell is that?

The rerelease on dvd tried to fix it but now it just looks like Han has a seizure and Greedo misses... somehow. I'm torn on which version looks worse.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1809 on: April 28, 2014, 08:17:50 AM »
Ha ha, I guess I forgot the most important point.  It just plain looks bad!  Re-edited, and very poorly.  Should have left it alone.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: April 28, 2014, 08:39:58 AM »

The Greedo scene is especially bad because of awful and fake the whole thing looks. Greedo misses from like three feet away and Han is just sitting there? What the hell is that?

The rerelease on dvd tried to fix it but now it just looks like Han has a seizure and Greedo misses... somehow. I'm torn on which version looks worse.

I remember reading beforehand about how they'd fixed it up on the DVD release so it looked more believable, and then I watched it, and it looked like some guy just cut Han out in Photoshop and rotated him to the side slightly. It looks laughable.
The scene was filmed with Han shooting first. There's only so much you can do with that footage once it's done, regardless of what revisionist ideas you get 20 years later.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1811 on: April 28, 2014, 10:27:37 AM »
So I guess Boba Fett never made it out of the Sarlacc Pit after all.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1812 on: April 28, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
Well, if they want to use him I'm sure they can dig him out of the pit, but right now there is no reason to assume he is alive.  Chewie on the other hand  :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1813 on: April 28, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »
I thought the Sarlacc slowly digested its prey over 1000 years.  That means he's still alive.

Well, discounting the fact that most creatures don't live 1000 years even if they weren't being digested.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1814 on: April 28, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »
Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World is coming up! Mark Hamill is going to be there for a weekend, and supposedly Disney company chairman Bob Iger and Parks chairman Tom Staggs. I wonder if a title or casting news will be presented on opening day! That, or maybe the rumored Star Wars land for that theme park? The arrival of Mark Hamill on opening weekend is going to be huge.  I'm supposed to flown out there for a commercial shoot and a press event. It'll be nice to go home, even if it's just for work.

Here's a video my department made a few years ago. I think you guys will get a kick out it  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtw33b9TCfU&feature=share

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1815 on: April 28, 2014, 06:39:44 PM »
I thought the Sarlacc slowly digested its prey over 1000 years.  That means he's still alive.

I don't see why that means they would stay alive the whole time. 

But as I said, if they want to use him in future episodes I'm sure they will find a way.  Regardless, one of the spinoff films has been unofficially confirmed to be about Fett, so it's really just a matter of where that takes place in the timeline.

It's just now starting to sink in just how many poor ideas and arcs are now out of the way.  The Force Unleashed, Sith ghosts, ysalimiri, Yuuzhan vong, the Darth Plagueis stories, etc.  It's pretty refreshing, to me anyway.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1816 on: April 28, 2014, 06:44:36 PM »
Even though I do like Boba Fett, Cracked kinda got it right about him. He's not that special.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1817 on: April 28, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
He didn't even do anything in the movie. I mean, he follows Solo and tracks him. On screen? He does even less. I don't get it.

I mean don't get me wrong. He looks awesome. But it's not even an exaggeration when I say he didn't do anything in the movies.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1818 on: April 28, 2014, 08:08:37 PM »

I don't see why that means they would stay alive the whole time. 

Wait... so you intentionally excise what I said next, which clarifies that I was being sarcastic, then offer a serious response?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1819 on: April 29, 2014, 09:32:32 AM »
I can't really say I am either shocked or sad at the demise of the EU as semi-canon, since I've more than once called for its utter junking. It was way overdue for a pruning anyway, especially since it kept books that were wildly at odds to the continuity of the prequels (MY GOD, THRAWN CAN CLONE STORMTROOPERS! THE EMPIRE HAS CLONES! Fancy that!) and the EU had become trapped in long term, multi-author, galaxy shaking arcs that kept being pale retards of Rebels vs. Evil Authority The EU, to me, was at its best with one and done books that could be set between movies or even, as Brian Daley's Han Solo books proved, before the movies. Trying to tell the story after ROTJ, with dozens of writers and editors AND working against the fact that Lucas never considered them canon had made them a fruitless endeavor.

From what I read, the books are now being made under the auspices of an editorial committee, which on the one hand kind of scares me on a creative level, but hopefully means that SOMEONE is in contact with the movie makers as to what is and what isn't continuity. And I hope we're done with eight book epics that always end with the Jedi and the old Rebel Alliance fighting some sort of authority.

Plus, yeah, Chewbacca didn't get a moon dropped on him, fuck yeah.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.