Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461315 times)

Offline zepp-head

Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1750 on: February 27, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1751 on: February 28, 2014, 07:10:30 AM »
I ordered this book: https://www.amazon.com/The-Star-Wars-Heresies-Interpreting/dp/0786471816/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393461948&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+heresies

I read the description.  Hilarious seeing the prequels associated with terms like "analytical," "worthy of scholarly study," and "human drama."  :rollin  I guess this guy didn't actually see the films. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1752 on: February 28, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
I ordered this book: https://www.amazon.com/The-Star-Wars-Heresies-Interpreting/dp/0786471816/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393461948&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+heresies

I read the description.  Hilarious seeing the prequels associated with terms like "analytical," "worthy of scholarly study," and "human drama."  :rollin  I guess this guy didn't actually see the films.

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1753 on: February 28, 2014, 08:32:22 AM »

I'm all for this - but...Attack Of The Clones better than Empire Strikes Back...

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1754 on: February 28, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »
So what?  Still trying to figure out why someone having a differing opinion is so grating to some people.  I like Empire more too, but who cares.

I saved part of a discussion on AICN of all places, where there is a bunch of nonsense, but every once in a while a beacon of hope.  This is one of those:

"Because if a person loves something I hate, at least he is looking to add to his life. If he hates something I love, it's as if he is incapable of understanding how it brings me joy. That's like a roadblock between the two of us. I'd venture that's why some people are reacting so harshly to VM in this thread. The way he's responding is not just to say he didn't enjoy the film. It's to say enjoyment of the film shouldn't be possible. That statement is normative and hurtful to people who deviate from its norms"

Which was in response to one of the previously mentioned piles of nonsense, which is the mindset of many forum-goers:

"The film doesn't deserve to have anyone like it, that's the problem. It was an objectively lazy, shoddily created film that doesn't deserve anyone's praise or admiration. Film (and art in general) have objective, qualitative measures, as you know. The subjective nature of art you hear thrown around all the time is just silly, naive, nonsensical fuckpoop. The subjectivity lies in the individual's mind, not the art itself. Anywho, this film, objectively, does not pass the most generous of tests. That is why I hate it and hate the people who "enjoy" it. They are wrong. Plain and simple. And that's OK. For I am hear to educate : ) I feel compelled to correct them. I am one of the Enlightened Ones. I simply want to pass on my knowledge and expertise. Like a kid who keeps failing the same test over and over again. He's struggling. Thus, I feel bad for the little chap and I want to help him out. I'm the professor who comes in and tries to assist, give him pointers and such, so that one day, he may pass the test on his own. One day, I will teach everyone to view film the RIGHT WAY and all the stupidity and poor taste will be cleansed from the earth.

It's all for the greater good, man : )
"

And no, the poster was not being sarcastic.  Kudos if you can guess the film they were discussing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: February 28, 2014, 09:21:35 AM »
Len Wiseman's Total Recall remake ?

Zack Snyder's Watchmen ?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1756 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »
What do you mean ?

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1757 on: February 28, 2014, 11:01:32 AM »
Len Wiseman's Total Recall remake ?

Zack Snyder's Watchmen ?

X-Men: First Class

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1758 on: February 28, 2014, 12:33:48 PM »

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?  :lol

Probably not, considering how many of us agree.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1759 on: February 28, 2014, 01:26:33 PM »
You guys make it so hard to find a middle ground.  I'm sorry you couldn't find enjoyment in it.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: February 28, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »
Everyone has their opinions, likes and dislikes.  If I was a betting man, I'd bet that pretty much everyone on the "Majority view" side of this, has a "Minority view" on something else in their lives.  I'm sure they feel as justified in that view, as we do with ours on SW's.  Some of the arguments from the "Majority" kind of puzzle me.  I hear how bad the script writing and acting is in the prequels.  I mean...really?  The acting and writing in the original trilogy was better?   Or how the CGI is just over the top.  Well, when the originals came out, cutting edge special effects of that time period were used also.  Some folks probably thought it was too much at that time too.  We can argue back and forth...it's like politics, I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change mine.  I enjoyed them ALL, and I'll probably enjoy the next 3  :biggrin:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1761 on: February 28, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »
If there's anything The Star Wars comics have taught me, it's that execution is important, but no amount of executive genius can substitute for a good story.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: February 28, 2014, 06:39:51 PM »
If there's anything The Star Wars comics have taught me, it's that execution is important, but no amount of executive genius can substitute for a good story.

I agree.  I think all the movies were good stories.  Great stories?  Not really, IMHO.    In comparison I think SW's books, including episodes 4-6, are lacking when put next to other Science Fiction works.  As far as the movies? I enjoy them all because they're entertaining.    Funny.... on the flip side, some of the greatest books in Sci-Fi  like "Dune", and "I, Robot" weren't done as well on the big screen as I would have thought.  When I look at it from that perspective, I really can't complain too much about the SW movies.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: February 28, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »
That's because Star Wars was a movie first. Dune and I, Robot were books first. The real outlier is TLOR trilogy where Peter Jackson took good althrough arguably exhausting material and transformed it into an incredibly well made epic action saga.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1764 on: February 28, 2014, 08:01:56 PM »
That's because Star Wars was a movie first. Dune and I, Robot were books first.
Agreed. When a movie is based off a book, the book is almost always better, but when a book is based off a movie, usually the movie is better. That's because there are just certain elements of writing that you can't capture in a film, and vice versa. LOTR is probably one of the best adaptations out there, but it still doesn't touch greatness of the book (maybe because a certain character is missing  :lol )

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1765 on: February 28, 2014, 09:10:50 PM »
That's because Star Wars was a movie first. Dune and I, Robot were books first. The real outlier is TLOR trilogy where Peter Jackson took good althrough arguably exhausting material and transformed it into an incredibly well made epic action saga.

Good point, I didn't think about that fact about the 6 movie stories being originally films before they were books.  It does make a difference.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1766 on: February 28, 2014, 09:53:22 PM »
That's because Star Wars was a movie first. Dune and I, Robot were books first.
Agreed. When a movie is based off a book, the book is almost always better, but when a book is based off a movie, usually the movie is better. That's because there are just certain elements of writing that you can't capture in a film, and vice versa. LOTR is probably one of the best adaptations out there, but it still doesn't touch greatness of the book (maybe because a certain character is missing  :lol )
Erkenbrand?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1767 on: February 28, 2014, 10:30:42 PM »

I agree.  I think all the movies were good stories.  Great stories?  Not really, IMHO.    In comparison I think SW's books, including episodes 4-6, are lacking when put next to other Science Fiction works.  As far as the movies? I enjoy them all because they're entertaining.    Funny.... on the flip side, some of the greatest books in Sci-Fi  like "Dune", and "I, Robot" weren't done as well on the big screen as I would have thought.  When I look at it from that perspective, I really can't complain too much about the SW movies.

Funny you should agree with me, because the way The Star Wars comics revealed that to me is by the fact that the Prequel Trilogy is just those original drafts recycled! :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1768 on: February 28, 2014, 11:36:08 PM »

Funny you should agree with me, because the way The Star Wars comics revealed that to me is by the fact that the Prequel Trilogy is just those original drafts recycled! :lol

Not sure what you're talking about?  Never read any of the comics.  I've read at least 120 of the SW books though.  I was agreeing with your statement of  "no amount of executive genius can substitute for a good story" 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1769 on: March 01, 2014, 05:02:48 AM »

I'm all for this - but...Attack Of The Clones better than Empire Strikes Back...

How did I miss this?!  Kotowboy, that is a hell no!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: March 01, 2014, 06:57:14 AM »
I agree ! The worst of the prequels better than the best of the sequels ?

Each to their own and all that :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1771 on: March 01, 2014, 06:59:39 AM »
Get a thermometer and check for a fever.  Stat. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1772 on: March 01, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »
I agree ! The worst of the prequels better than the best of the sequels ?

Each to their own and all that :P
Man, I'll take Attack of the Clones over the Phantom Menace any day of the week.

But I'm weird like that. I just hate TPM.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1773 on: March 01, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »

Not sure what you're talking about?  Never read any of the comics.  I've read at least 120 of the SW books though.  I was agreeing with your statement of  "no amount of executive genius can substitute for a good story"

The recent "The Star Wars" comics are adaptations of George Lucas's original 1974 screenplays, and are essentially OT characters with PT plot events.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1774 on: March 01, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
I would really love to see Topher Grace's prequels edit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: March 02, 2014, 06:25:13 PM »
The recent "The Star Wars" comics are adaptations of George Lucas's original 1974 screenplays, and are essentially OT characters with PT plot events.

If these are the drafts of the screenplays I have, they don't really have anything to do with PT plot events.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1776 on: March 02, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »
Everyone has their opinions, likes and dislikes.  If I was a betting man, I'd bet that pretty much everyone on the "Majority view" side of this, has a "Minority view" on something else in their lives.  I'm sure they feel as justified in that view, as we do with ours on SW's.  Some of the arguments from the "Majority" kind of puzzle me.  I hear how bad the script writing and acting is in the prequels.  I mean...really?  The acting and writing in the original trilogy was better?   Or how the CGI is just over the top.  Well, when the originals came out, cutting edge special effects of that time period were used also.  Some folks probably thought it was too much at that time too.  We can argue back and forth...it's like politics, I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change mine.  I enjoyed them ALL, and I'll probably enjoy the next 3  :biggrin:

This is great.

As far as the comics, "The Star Wars", yeah they are based on original SW drafts.  In some cases it is really clear why they were drafts, but there are a couple cool things in there.  I don't really see a lot of prequel events in there, really just leftover names from the original SW drafts that didn't get used until the prequels.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1777 on: March 18, 2014, 12:28:32 PM »
Filming begins in May. Episode VII hits theaters December 18th, 2015.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1778 on: March 18, 2014, 01:18:52 PM »
Set 30 years after Episode VI.

Also, The Clone Wars featured a Yoda arc with Liam Neeson as the bodiless Qui-Gon Jinn.  The Liam Neeson episode was brilliant and helps fill at least some of the void left over from his scene never being shot for Episode III that caused so much misunderstanding among the passive fans.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1779 on: March 18, 2014, 02:29:46 PM »
Can you elaborate on that a bit?  I've never seen The Clone Wars and likely never will.  I thought Yoda's near-throwaway line in Episode III about how Qui-Gon had contacted him was kinda cool, but also pretty lame if that was all we were going to get as far as an explanation of how Obi-Wan eventually became a "force ghost" in Episodes IV through VI.

So Qui-Gon figured it out, came back and told Yoda how it works, and Yoda in turn taught Obi-Wan?  And that's how Obi-Wan became "more powerful than you could possible imagine"?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1780 on: March 18, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »
Well, that's close enough considering you are obviously only a "passive fan." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1781 on: March 18, 2014, 02:48:40 PM »
I do consider myself only somewhere above the level of casual fan.  Yes, I've seen all the movies, but couldn't get through any of the TV cartoons and never saw the animated feature.  The books?  Please.

I thought that Obi-Wan becoming "more powerful than you could possibly imagine" was a huge missed opportunity (it's not like it turned out to make much difference in Episodes V and VI), and had actually forgotten about it until Yoda mentioned it at the end of Episode III.  Then I realized that that was it; that was all we were going to get.  So I'm curious if there's actually more.  Sounds like there isn't.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1783 on: March 20, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »
Well, that's close enough considering you are obviously only a "passive fan."

Give me a break.  It wasn't an insult.

Can you elaborate on that a bit?  I've never seen The Clone Wars and likely never will.  I thought Yoda's near-throwaway line in Episode III about how Qui-Gon had contacted him was kinda cool, but also pretty lame if that was all we were going to get as far as an explanation of how Obi-Wan eventually became a "force ghost" in Episodes IV through VI.

So Qui-Gon figured it out, came back and told Yoda how it works, and Yoda in turn taught Obi-Wan?  And that's how Obi-Wan became "more powerful than you could possible imagine"?

Qui-Gon had a voice only scene in Episode III that was tragically never shot.  It was in the screeenplay, the book, you name it, but I guess Neeson was not available at the time.

When you see Yoda meditating on Polis Massa when he is interrupted by Bail, this is what is happening.  Qui-Gon hasn't taken it to the full ghost stage yet, but he is the first Jedi that has learned to retain consciousness after death (you can hear him briefly in Episode II as well).  If you look deep enough to see what is different about Qui-Gon than the rest of the Jedi of this age, you may have pieced this together already, but regardless, Qui-Gon reveals that the Jedi of the time had it wrong. 

It is through compassion, the release of self, not the exaltation of self that can give one eternal consciousness.  It is what the Sith have always wanted, and this is why they will never have it.  Love is the answer to the darkness.

So, in short: compassion, live in the moment, concentrate on the living force.  This is passed onto Yoda and Obi-Wan, who take it a step further.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1784 on: March 20, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
The unfortunate thing is that that is a fairly good idea, but as with so many other things in the movie, it was grossly mishandled to the point that it almost felt insignificant.