Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461324 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1645 on: January 12, 2014, 10:10:50 PM »
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is rated PG, but has lots of swearing, an off screen but graphic sex scene, and a shoe is brutally murdered.

Would you call WFRR a kids movie?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1646 on: January 12, 2014, 10:11:28 PM »
My brother - love him to death - but he has the most logic-defying taste in movies. He doesn't prefer the Prequels, but he does claim Episode III is the second-best Star Wars movie overall (thankfully, he has the good sense to rank Empire Strikes Back as #1). And not out of any sense of contrariness. No, he has oft argued to me in complete seriousness that the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan battle gives Ep. 3 the edge over the Originals "because of how much more emotion there is in the fight."

I shit you not.

I've seen a good percentage of people who rank Ep 3 higher than ROTJ, since everyone seems to hate ROTJ now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1647 on: January 12, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »
Even if ROTJ sucked (which it doesn't), Carrie Fisher in a bikini still would have saved it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1648 on: January 12, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
I don't have a lot of faith in JJ after what he did to Trek, and I don't like any of his TV shows either, but he's a big SW fan, and I think he has the absolute best intentions with this movie. Whether or not that means the movie will end up good, we'll just have to wait and see.
I can't recommend Fringe enough if you don't watch it. A little shaky in the early episodes maybe...but it's a fantastic sci fi show otherwise. Don't write it off because he also makes tripe like Revolution. :-[

But taking everything else Abrams has done...there's definitely more I don't like or consider just average, than there is that I like, so I'm not really getting my hopes up for Episode VII.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1649 on: January 12, 2014, 10:14:11 PM »
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is rated PG, but has lots of swearing, an off screen but graphic sex scene, and a shoe is brutally murdered.

Would you call WFRR a kids movie?

Yes I would. As ass backwards as that may be. I was 4 and loved the movie. Still do.

It really isn't though, is it?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1650 on: January 12, 2014, 10:18:05 PM »
It's one of those rare films that works for both kids and adults.  The "adult" stuff flies right over most kids' heads, and the "kid" stuff isn't totally inane and generally pretty entertaining for all ages.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: January 12, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
Even if ROTJ sucked (which it doesn't), Carrie Fisher in a bikini still would have saved it.

That's a pretty sound argument.

I don't have a lot of faith in JJ after what he did to Trek, and I don't like any of his TV shows either, but he's a big SW fan, and I think he has the absolute best intentions with this movie. Whether or not that means the movie will end up good, we'll just have to wait and see.
I can't recommend Fringe enough if you don't watch it. A little shaky in the early episodes maybe...but it's a fantastic sci fi show otherwise. Don't write it off because he also makes tripe like Revolution. :-[

But taking everything else Abrams has done...there's definitely more I don't like or consider just average, than there is that I like, so I'm not really getting my hopes up for Episode VII.

I've actually thought about watching Fringe, but the fact it's Abrams has always put me right off it, since I don't like what he considers "scifi" to be at all.
But I think JJ's approach could be a perfect fit for the lighter, more action adventure style of Star Wars.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1652 on: January 12, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
I saw Episode 1 in the theaters when it came out and I thought it was the tits. I watched it again on VHS (long before Attack of the Clones came out) and was like, what happened? Why is this movie shit now?  :lol

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1653 on: January 12, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1654 on: January 12, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »
My brother - love him to death - but he has the most logic-defying taste in movies. He doesn't prefer the Prequels, but he does claim Episode III is the second-best Star Wars movie overall (thankfully, he has the good sense to rank Empire Strikes Back as #1). And not out of any sense of contrariness. No, he has oft argued to me in complete seriousness that the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan battle gives Ep. 3 the edge over the Originals "because of how much more emotion there is in the fight."

I shit you not.

I've seen a good percentage of people who rank Ep 3 higher than ROTJ, since everyone seems to hate ROTJ now.

Oh sure, I hate ROTJ too (with the sole exception of the Luke vs. Vader battle), but there's no way I could ever rank Revenge of the Shit Sith higher.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1655 on: January 12, 2014, 10:24:52 PM »

That's a pretty sound argument.

I've actually thought about watching Fringe, but the fact it's Abrams has always put me right off it, since I don't like what he considers "scifi" to be at all.
But I think JJ's approach could be a perfect fit for the lighter, more action adventure style of Star Wars.
Abrams really didn't have much to do with Fringe at all, other than pitching the show and coming up with a skeletal premise, so if your objection amounts to 'JJ was involved' don't let that taint the series for you.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1656 on: January 12, 2014, 10:26:44 PM »
Yeah, Fringe is awesome.

At least to Season 3. Haven't seen past that.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1657 on: January 12, 2014, 10:31:19 PM »
Abrams really didn't have much to do with Fringe at all, other than pitching the show and coming up with a skeletal premise, so if your objection amounts to 'JJ was involved' don't let that taint the series for you.
I was actually going to say something like this myself. JH Wyman probably deserves the most credit for the show's quality. I'm not sure Abrams did much of anything outside creating and executive producing. He wasn't a showrunner and he only has a few co-writing credits in the early episodes.

It's every bit a science fiction series. But this is also the wrong thread so...I should probably stop pitching. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: January 12, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »

I'll keep that in mind. :tup It's not that I've dismissed the show because of some faint JJ involvement, it's just made me hesitant to get around to watching it to finally give it a chance. All of the other JJ related shows I've seen have shared a lot of the same elements I dislike in modern television, although to be fair, from what little I've seen of Fringe, it didn't seem like that at all.
Now let's get back from that slight derail. You've all convinced me that JJ didn't ruin it. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1659 on: January 12, 2014, 11:07:39 PM »
I'll chime in as well Blob - I'm not a huge sci-fi fan at all (although I enjoy the early Star Wars, Stargate etc...) but I love Fringe and have watched since the beginning and currently watching the final series on tv.   Aussie John Noble is brilliant as Walter.

As an aside this thread has made me think of Maul STanley :)  - anyone remember him?   A comic character created by the sadly departed Anthony John Confessore who was also responsible for CC Banana and Ace Peeley.   He did some hilarious interviews with metal guys and people at Star Wars conventions back in the day - more so as CC Banana.

https://www.maulstanley.com/myth.html
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1660 on: January 13, 2014, 01:29:43 AM »
Guys guys guys.....If Emperor Palpatine were voiced by Mark Hamills Joker, and Vader was voiced by Tom Hardy's Bane. Some of the video editing isn't that impressive, but the audio is absolutely delightful

https://www.geeksaresexy.net/2013/08/21/if-emperor-palpatine-were-voiced-by-mark-hamills-joker/

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1661 on: January 13, 2014, 04:13:13 AM »
Anakin didn't die.

Oh come on.  :lol
???  What?  Unless you are using a definition of the word "die" of which I was previously unaware.

And Fringe was awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1662 on: January 13, 2014, 06:19:26 AM »
Anakin "died" and Darth Vader was born.

amirite?

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1663 on: January 13, 2014, 06:59:36 AM »
From a certain point of view.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1664 on: January 13, 2014, 07:54:42 AM »
Anakin didn't die.

Oh come on.  :lol
???  What?  Unless you are using a definition of the word "die" of which I was previously unaware.

And Fringe was awesome.

Get a load of Captain Literal over here.  The end of the movie is shot so that Anakin and Padme die at the same time, while Vader and the twins are born at the same time.

From a certain point of view.

Yes.  I'm using the same definition of "die" that Obi-Wan used in Return of the Jedi.  No, it isn't literal, and yes he is briefly resurrected/saved.

I shit you not.

I love Return of the Jedi, but of the six it has about the worst critical reception.  At least going by metacritic scores it is tied with The Phantom Menace for lowest scoring Star Wars film.  Revenge of the Sith came in considerably higher.  Because of the mixed views when the film was first release, even The Empire Strikes Back has a surprisingly low score.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1665 on: January 13, 2014, 09:17:11 AM »
I personally believe critics are arseholes.

What I (me) like is all that matters.

And I LOVED ROTJ. It is my favoirte. The hokey finality of the wrap up at the end. All of it.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1666 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »
So we're gonna rank them here?

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi/Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1667 on: January 13, 2014, 09:45:36 AM »
The end of the movie is shot so that Anakin and Padme die at the same time, while Vader and the twins are born at the same time.
The end of the movie is shot to be ridiculous. 

I haven't seen it in a long time (due to thinking the film was ridiculous and not wanting to watch it again), but I certainly don't remember Anakin actually dying.  And "metaphorically" dying is just not a valid option here, since I was discussing your theory tying in Padme's literal death to a heretofore unproclaimed symbiotic relationship with Anakin and his metaphorical death.  I mean, come on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1668 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:41 AM »
ESB
ANH

ROTJ

ROTS

TPM

AOTC

Yeah, I think that sums it up.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1669 on: January 13, 2014, 10:54:50 AM »
The end of the movie is shot so that Anakin and Padme die at the same time, while Vader and the twins are born at the same time.
The end of the movie is shot to be ridiculous. 

I haven't seen it in a long time (due to thinking the film was ridiculous and not wanting to watch it again), but I certainly don't remember Anakin actually dying.  And "metaphorically" dying is just not a valid option here, since I was discussing your theory tying in Padme's literal death to a heretofore unproclaimed symbiotic relationship with Anakin and his metaphorical death.  I mean, come on.

Sure it is.  You just choose not to see it.

And yes, while his death is metaphor, both Luke and Obi-Wan state that Anakin is dead despite knowing he is literally still alive as Vader. 

And I LOVED ROTJ. It is my favoirte. The hokey finality of the wrap up at the end. All of it.

I agree to a point.  I've taken too many film criticism courses to discount professional opinion entirely, but there are many times when I do disagree with them as a whole.  Most of the time I trust critical reviews of movies more than I trust public opinion.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: January 13, 2014, 11:25:33 AM »
To this day I don't exactly know what Padme died of.

A broken heart.   ::)

And, I know there's a lot of stuff to hate in the prequels, but shoehorning a Jesus allegory of immaculate conception into the Darth Vader back story is pretty high up there.

<nitpick> "Virgin birth", not Immaculate Conception.  The Immaculate Conception was Mary (she was born without sin), not Jesus.  </nitpick>

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1671 on: January 13, 2014, 12:43:39 PM »
From a fairly objective standpoint since I didn't grow up to any of the Star Wars movies:

1. Revenge of the Sith (8.5/10 - Great)
2. The Empire Strikes Back (7.9/10 - Good)
3. Return of the Jedi (7.4/10 - Good)
4. Attack of the Clones (6.9/10 - Okay)
5. A New Hope (6.3/10 - Okay) This one is got here on pure 'classic'-points. This is a boring ass movie.
6. The Phantom Menace (5.6/10 - Mediocre) And this one is this "high" only because they sometimes briefly talk about the stuff that are actually interesting and important to the story. Otherwise I absolutely hates most of it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1672 on: January 13, 2014, 02:23:47 PM »
ESB
ANH

ROTJ

ROTS

TPM

AOTC

Yeah, I think that sums it up.

That's pretty much how I feel about it.

Love ANH and ESB. I love 75% of ROTJ, except for pretty much everything that took place on Endor. (except for the "it is... too late for me" conversation) that was tight.

And honestly, I haven't watched any of the prequels since 2005.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:45:31 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1673 on: January 13, 2014, 02:37:06 PM »
Yeah, everything involving Vader in ROTJ is pure gold.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1674 on: January 13, 2014, 04:36:29 PM »
I only ever watch the prequels for the action sequences.  They're good in all of them.  Everything in between is shite... in all of them.  Especially all of them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1675 on: January 13, 2014, 06:57:17 PM »

ROTJ is my fave also. Watching Luke kick Vader's ass on the big screen in 1983 still ranks as my #1 movie moment of all time.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1676 on: January 13, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »
I won't put my ranks up because I would be shot
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1677 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »
What puts ROTJ ahead of the PT is the brilliant ending. The ads before it's release all questioned whether Luke would turn. In the last half of the movie, he wore all black....referring to the dark side. But then, following his defeat of Vader, the lapel of his shirt is loose, revealing white underneath. When he is near the shuttle with Vader and you, the viewer, know he is not turning...that is when you see the white shirt. It's very subtle, but I'm certain it was intentional, and I think that is just brilliant.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1678 on: January 13, 2014, 09:34:23 PM »
I only ever watch the prequels for the action sequences.  They're good in all of them.  Everything in between is shite... in all of them.  Especially all of them.

Sans the Count Dooku and Anakin lightsaber battle in AOTC. That was a terribly shot sequence

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1679 on: January 13, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »
No doubt. The fact that they had to shoot it that way, with red glowing light in Christopher Lee's close ups, is just more proof of bad writing.  Write the part for the actor or hire the actor for the part.