Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461304 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1330 on: December 31, 2012, 04:11:59 AM »
So me and my friend watched Episode IV last night, really great stuff. He hasn't seen the movies before, and the last time (and only time) I saw the original movies was like 14 years ago or something.
Seeing Episode V tonight and VI tomorrow.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1331 on: January 01, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »
I just finished watching the original trilogy on Blu-Ray. Great stuff!

The changes Lucas made for these editions... They didn't ruin the trilogy, but I thought some of them were silly. Darth Vader screaming "Nooo!!!" at the end of ROTJ and then Hayden Christensen appearing at the end with Obi-Wan and Yoda were two really silly changes (although I think the Hayden Christensen one has been there for a while).
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1332 on: January 01, 2013, 02:11:56 PM »

The changes Lucas made for these editions... They didn't ruin the trilogy, but I thought some of them were silly. Darth Vader screaming "Nooo!!!" at the end of ROTJ and then Hayden Christensen appearing at the end with Obi-Wan and Yoda were two really silly changes (although I think the Hayden Christensen one has been there for a while).

God I had totally forgotten about the Noooo at the end of ROTJ.

I guess I tried to block it out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #1333 on: January 01, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »

Darth Vader screaming "Nooo!!!" at the end of ROTJ

Honestly thought (hoped) this was a joke when I originally heard about it. Still haven't seen it. Hopefully now though, there's a decent chance that Disney will release the original trilogy unaltered on Blu Ray.

Online Adami

« Reply #1334 on: January 01, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
I really wish there was a middle ground release. Like, I actually a lot of the digital enhancements made, such as adding in more ships to the fights, or fixing the light sabers or fixing bad special effects from the original. But when they altered what actually happens, like Greedo shooting first, or the dancing scene in Jedi or anything that isn't just an actual enhancement, then I would like it without those. But it seems either people want the completely updated ones or strictly the originals with no changes in the slightest bit. Which sucks for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #1335 on: January 01, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »
I get that, when I said unaltered I mean't get rid of things like the unnecessary Jabba scene in A New Hope, the "NOOOOOOO!" etc. The added ships and digital enhancements I'm cool with. At least he didn't get to stick a CGI Yoda in the originals though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1336 on: January 01, 2013, 06:36:16 PM »
I really wish there was a middle ground release. Like, I actually a lot of the digital enhancements made, such as adding in more ships to the fights, or fixing the light sabers or fixing bad special effects from the original. But when they altered what actually happens, like Greedo shooting first, or the dancing scene in Jedi or anything that isn't just an actual enhancement, then I would like it without those. But it seems either people want the completely updated ones or strictly the originals with no changes in the slightest bit. Which sucks for me.

This is where I am as well.  Fix bad effects, maybe add a few things (although the extra creatures walking around Mos Eisley stick out pretty obviously), but changing the actual story is going too far.

Online Adami

« Reply #1337 on: January 01, 2013, 06:39:17 PM »

This is where I am as well.  Fix bad effects, maybe add a few things (although the extra creatures walking around Mos Eisley stick out pretty obviously), but changing the actual story is going too far.

The problem is the people crying for un-changed editions basically voice their opinion as "No changes in the slightest bit". Which means IF a new version comes out, it will be exactly like the original, bad effects and all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1338 on: January 01, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »
That would seem to be the most common demand among those who want unaltered versions.  They want it exactly as originally shown in theaters, mattes and bad effects and everything, all in glorious high definition.

It's a tough call, and I see why there are actually many different opinions regarding how much is too much.  It seems to me that the original theatrical edition should at least be available.  If GL or Disney or whoever want to continue to releases modified versions, that's fine, but at least make the original version available.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1339 on: January 01, 2013, 09:19:07 PM »
With Blu-ray becoming more and more the standard, and the data capacity they have, there's no reason that they can't release the original theatrical version and the '97 one in the same disc.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1340 on: January 01, 2013, 09:41:31 PM »
It's confusing because the movies have been changed at least three times: 97, 04, and 11.

Here's some info in great detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1341 on: January 01, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »

The problem is the people crying for un-changed editions basically voice their opinion as "No changes in the slightest bit". Which means IF a new version comes out, it will be exactly like the original, bad effects and all.
What's wrong with that? It's a movie made in the 70's, it's going to have dated looking shit.  It's a product of its time.

That's not to say that I'm against a release that is just random touching up of the source material, but I can guarantee that won't ever happen.  If it's a choice between the updated versions OR the originals, give me the originals any day of the week.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1342 on: January 01, 2013, 09:46:31 PM »
That's where I think it would be cool if they could do a release that had all variations for each scene and we got to choose what we wanted for each one in a menu. :lol  Those updates are too much a mix of great and bad.  Though, the Hayden ghost actually seemed reasonable to me and never bothered me.

Online Adami

« Reply #1343 on: January 01, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »

What's wrong with that? It's a movie made in the 70's, it's going to have dated looking shit.  It's a product of its time.

That's not to say that I'm against a release that is just random touching up of the source material, but I can guarantee that won't ever happen.  If it's a choice between the updated versions OR the originals, give me the originals any day of the week.

That's not the issue. Had they never updated it, no one would have cared.

But they did. They essentially said "Look how amazing it CAN be.......but only if we add in all this extra horrible stuff that no one wants. But you can't anything in between". It was a tease. It would be like if DT re-recorded a well produced WDADU but with MP on all the vocals.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #1344 on: January 01, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »
Oh I get that, I just don't see what's so bad about the original.

It's not exactly analogous to the WDaDU's production.  Star Wars was a technical marvel for its time, WDaDU's production sucked ass even for its time.  Redoing all the s/fx in SW is like remixing Images and Words just to get rid of the snare drum and slight 80's production sound: it might be nice but it's not really needed.

Online Adami

« Reply #1345 on: January 01, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
Oh I get that, I just don't see what's so bad about the original.

It's not exactly analogous to the WDaDU's production.  Star Wars was a technical marvel for its time, WDaDU's production sucked ass even for its time.  Redoing all the s/fx in SW is like remixing Images and Words just to get rid of the snare drum and slight 80's production sound: it might be nice but it's not really needed.

Like I said, the main problem is that we've seen what it could be. Showing it in the original format would be like a step backwards. Had we never seen how good it COULD have looked, then no one would care. But if I watch the 70's/80's versions of the films, I'll just be reminded of how much we've progressed and what the movie could have been.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #1346 on: January 01, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »
I just don't see the problem I guess.  The relatively minor improvements affect the film in maybe a marginal manner. Their presence (or lack thereof) are not enough to make or break the film for me.

Online Adami

« Reply #1347 on: January 01, 2013, 11:29:33 PM »
I just don't see the problem I guess.  The relatively minor improvements affect the film in maybe a marginal manner. Their presence (or lack thereof) are not enough to make or break the film for me.

Didn't say it would break anything, just said it would be nice to have the enhancements.

Not even sure why you're arguing so much with me. I just said it sucks it's all or nothing deal. You prefer the originals over any with some minor enhancements? Cool. I would prefer one with the minor changes that make it look nicer.

I probably won't buy them again unless they have exactly the kind I want, which they won't. I'm just not huge enough into Star Wars to justify it. I already have the newest release on Blu Ray and I'm fine with it. I can cringe when I need to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #1348 on: January 01, 2013, 11:49:46 PM »

Didn't say it would break anything, just said it would be nice to have the enhancements.

Not even sure why you're arguing so much with me. I just said it sucks it's all or nothing deal. You prefer the originals over any with some minor enhancements? Cool. I would prefer one with the minor changes that make it look nicer.

I probably won't buy them again unless they have exactly the kind I want, which they won't. I'm just not huge enough into Star Wars to justify it. I already have the newest release on Blu Ray and I'm fine with it. I can cringe when I need to.
I'm not arguing with you.  :neverusethis:

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1349 on: January 02, 2013, 12:57:15 AM »
You guys should check out the fan edit Star Wars: Revisited.  Some dood named Adywan in his basement put it together and IT IS PHENOMENAL.

The thing I never understood about the changes/fixes were why some were chosen while others were not and I'd think to myself "Really?  *That* was bothering them so much they had to *fix* it but the countdown timer at the end of IV that doesn't sync with anything is ok to leave in?".

Seriously, check it out, you will not be sorry.  There's so many awesome things done by this ONE GUY that the entire "real" team failed at, in my opinion, and just leave me scratching me head thinking "What if?"

Online PowerSlave

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1351 on: January 14, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »
His rep denied that Snyder has any involvement with Star Wars. Read the update at the bottom.

I don't like the idea of yet another Seven Samurai homage anyway. There was an old Marvel Star Wars comic like that, plus that Clone Wars episode, which is pretty good. I hope they come up with their own new ideas.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: January 14, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »
Hasn't that been a "possibility" for like 10 years now?

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #1354 on: January 15, 2013, 01:38:47 AM »
His rep denied that Snyder has any involvement with Star Wars. Read the update at the bottom.

I don't like the idea of yet another Seven Samurai homage anyway. There was an old Marvel Star Wars comic like that, plus that Clone Wars episode, which is pretty good. I hope they come up with their own new ideas.

I missed the update at the bottom of the page. However, it sounded like an interesting idea despite the fact that the idea has been touched on in the series already. If it did happen and they put a new twist on the theme maybe it would turn out good.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1355 on: January 15, 2013, 05:33:46 AM »
Hasn't that been a "possibility" for like 10 years now?

Yeah, since at least the release of Episode III, Rick McCallum was talking about it.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1356 on: January 16, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »
The "pick your own changes to the movies" is an interesting idea indeed.  It would help for people like me, and a few others on here it seems, that like many of the improvements, but find some off putting.

Honestly I have no problems with probably 95% of them, but the musical number and the added "No" in Return of the Jedi don't really leave the best taste in my mouth.  Whatever happened to the importance of a silent inner struggle?  Oh well.

The only problem with that is that we are not the content creators.  Art is not a democracy, and cry as we may, it is not our story to tell.  And I know I'll take heat for this, but even if Disney has the rights to release the original versions of the films, I hope it only happens if it is with Lucas' blessing. 

As far as the TV series, yes it has tons of scripts done already, and has for quite some time.  Originally it was being made for cable, and they wanted no station to have any creative say in the process, on top of that with the effects budget they could not proceed with production until costs were under $5 million per episode.  McCallum made it sound like they were not close to that yet, but he was very pleased with the scripts, and the show had a working title of Star Wars: Underground, though McCallum later denied that.  It focused on crime in between trilogies.

Now it looks like ABC (through Disney) is interested in making it happen network-style.  It could possibly be to Star Wars what the SHIELD series will be to the Marvel universe, which would make sense considering who owns it all.  That's where our knowledge ends however.  While interesting, it would be odd to have new films taking place after Jedi, while having a live action show taking place between 3 and 4, and a cartoon taking place between 2 and 3 all at the same time.  Maybe they will rewrite the series to tie in with the new films more, who knows.

I wanna give it all a shot considering how big a part of my life this series has been, but I sure don't feel good about all of this stuff that's going down.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1357 on: January 24, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »
JJ Abrams to direct. https://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/24/j-j-abrams-star-wars-director/

Welp, there goes all hope I had for the movie.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1358 on: January 24, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
JJ Abrams to direct. https://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/24/j-j-abrams-star-wars-director/

No doubt. This is about the only way I could imagine for them to actually fuck it up worse than they already had. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1359 on: January 24, 2013, 06:45:58 PM »

No doubt. This is about the only way I could imagine for them to actually fuck it up worse than they already had.

Italian newspaper says "A dream coming true for Sci-Fi fans". Opinion are quite divergents, it seems.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1360 on: January 24, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »
Trek and Wars - fucking hell, that's gonna be a hell of a legacy.

I really liked his Star Trek film. I don't know if that's controversial, I'm not a Trekkie and I don't actually know what anyone thought of it, but he's already done things I liked with one important 21st century sci-fi franchise. Then again, I'm not a Warsie either, so I'll leave it to the better judgment of people who know what Jabba the Hutt's giggly little mouse is called. (I swear, I've looked it up like ten times - someone B. Crumb or something like that?)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1361 on: January 24, 2013, 07:06:15 PM »
I think it's really odd that they got the Star Trek guy to do Star Wars.

I do think he will make an *INFINITELY* better movie that George Lucas could make.    But it just seems like some sortof violation of "geek-law"...

"The first article of faith is 'thall shall not franchise jump'"!

Seriously though...he did a FANTASTIC job with Star Trek, and I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that he will make the best Star Wars movie since Empire.   (though most likely still never better than the first two films)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1362 on: January 24, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »
It's still not confirmed. Just about everything I've seen leads to thewrap.com, and nothing has been posted by Lucasfilm or Disney.  I'm not opposed to it; I just hope whoever takes over can redeem the series.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1363 on: January 24, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »

Could be worse. What scares me more than this is the lack of peer review involved in the screenwriting process.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1364 on: January 24, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »
Well, if its any consolation, I think Spielberg wrote a scene in ROTS, so peer review is not necessarily a guarantee that the script will be good.

I just hope that they have an eye on what will transpire in Episode 9 and build up to it. There were so many missed opportunities in the PT that they had to try to cram it all into ROTS.  There was zero dynamic between the characters, so it all had to be built up then torn down at the end.  I never bought that Anakin was "a good friend" to Obi-Wan. When they finally tried to establish that, it felt hollow and forced.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!