Author Topic: The Circus Maximus Thread (merged)  (Read 102240 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: The Circus Maximus Thread (merged)
« Reply #315 on: June 05, 2012, 11:10:04 AM »
Come on ans ship it already amazon...

That's why I never use them for CDs anymore.  Only MP3 downloads.    If I want CDs I get them from LaserCD.com - he's got Nine in stock now, and it will ship today if you order it now.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #316 on: June 05, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
Nice album. That's all. I was expecting something more after 5 freaking years.

Like what? A double disc with 40 minute epic, and Michael hitting an F# for a whole minute while the other guys solo in unison, and a special guest death metal singer growls the most sinister passage to ever be recorded?

I expected something that is definitely better than their previous efforts. The album is a trade-off for me: some sections on it sound more mature than their previous albums, but the reduced vocal range and lack of long songs are a letdown.
It's not a bad album, just not better than The 1st Chapter and Isolate. The band remains not as good as DT in my book.
As an example: during the time it took them to produce Nine, Haken have written, recorded and released Aquarius and Visions (and a third album is already underway).

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: June 05, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »

Like what? A double disc with 40 minute epic, and Michael hitting an F# for a whole minute while the other guys solo in unison, and a special guest death metal singer growls the most sinister passage to ever be recorded?

None of that. I was expecting something that would blow my mind, or at least something that was more in the line of The 1st Chapter and got neither of those.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: June 05, 2012, 11:21:59 AM »

I expected something that is definitely better than their previous efforts. The album is a trade-off for me: some sections on it sound more mature than their previous albums, but the reduced vocal range and lack of long songs are a letdown.
It's not a bad album, just not better than The 1st Chapter and Isolate. The band remains not as good as DT in my book.
As an example: during the time it took them to produce Nine, Haken have written, recorded and released Aquarius and Visions (and a third album is already underway).

Lack of long songs?  ???

"Architect of Fortune"  10:12
"Burn After Reading"     8:48
"Last Goodbye"            10:00

That's a half hour right there.  Three tracks.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #319 on: June 05, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »

None of that. I was expecting something that would blow my mind, or at least something that was more in the line of The 1st Chapter and got neither of those.

I took the Prohphecy and the 1st Chapter and dropped them into the playlist of the new album interspaced so as to make the new album sound better.

it's worked.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: June 05, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
Very 1st spin and I'm sold... absolutely amazing... I'm blown away... way better than I expected... gonna try to understand what they've done so right to have my whole body shaken at the first listen for the next .. god knows how many days..... seriously.. don't wanna listen to anything else now.... holy fuckin shit!!!! shit!!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: June 05, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »
That's pretty much how I feel after three spins, Obscure  :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #322 on: June 05, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
Come on ans ship it already amazon...

That's why I never use them for CDs anymore.  Only MP3 downloads.    If I want CDs I get them from LaserCD.com - he's got Nine in stock now, and it will ship today if you order it now.

I can wait the extra days, especially with free shipping and all.  I'm just glad everyone seems to be enjoying the album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: June 05, 2012, 12:20:36 PM »
The thing that pissed me off about Amazon.com was they actually CHANGED my shipping date on a couple of orders.  Once they pushed it out three freaking weeks, that was the last time I ever ordered a CD from them.  Their MP3 download service is great, though.  Blows iTunes away, IMHO

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #324 on: June 05, 2012, 12:25:07 PM »
Listening on Spotify right now while I wait for the CD to arrive.  So far, so good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: June 05, 2012, 12:31:28 PM »

I took the Prohphecy and the 1st Chapter and dropped them into the playlist of the new album interspaced so as to make the new album sound better.

it's worked.

I will try this.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: June 05, 2012, 12:34:38 PM »
That's pretty much how I feel after three spins, Obscure  :metal

:metal

way more mature sound compared to the first two albums.... better mixing, better production, better song-writing.... 
I love this feeling man.... having a brand new album which blows you away.... me happy....

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: June 05, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »
The production is stellar.  So HUGE sounding   :hefdaddy

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #328 on: June 05, 2012, 04:24:05 PM »
Been spinning this for a while now. My thoughts are that it's a good album, but not quite on the same level as The 1st Chapter IMO. It could have been better.

The production and especially the guitars are top, top quality. Seriously, Petrucci-esque! I do miss the higher pitched vocals though.

On a whole I thoroughly enjoyed Architect Of Fortune, Burn After Reading and Last Goodbye. The shorter songs are much more forgettable. Minus the guitar solos, I don't see myself enjoying them as much. I'd have preferred 6 10 minute+ songs instead - I tink that's what CM do best, the longer, more progressive songs.

Still need to give it more time. CM are a very talented band who fit nicely between the likes of DT and SX - sharing many similarities from both but not quite sounding like either.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #329 on: June 06, 2012, 06:27:17 AM »
Been spinning this for a while now. My thoughts are that it's a good album, but not quite on the same level as The 1st Chapter IMO. It could have been better.

The production and especially the guitars are top, top quality. Seriously, Petrucci-esque! I do miss the higher pitched vocals though.

On a whole I thoroughly enjoyed Architect Of Fortune, Burn After Reading and Last Goodbye. The shorter songs are much more forgettable.

yup
all this.

It seems like a bunch of star athletes that took 5 years off...came back....and had a couple brilliant moments....but....I'll wait for the next one to be the masterpiece I expect they can still produce.

I hope I only have to wait a year for it.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline necrotomist

« Reply #330 on: June 06, 2012, 07:02:55 AM »
I just finished listening to it for the tenth time or something.

In NINE, there's a lot of great stuff going on that isn't obvious like, say, big technical instrumental sections (allthough they are present but rather short) or high pitched vocals. It's in the little things, arrangements, layers... It's pretty genius and it DOES feel like a lot of time was spent writing and arranging the songs. I'd say it's done so well yet so subtle that it seems to be covered up by the even bigger portion of 'poppyness' they added to their sound.

The flawless production doesn't help make these details stand out either. It's all blended in so well, but I find that the more I listen to it the more I'm convinced this could be there best work.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #331 on: June 06, 2012, 07:12:41 AM »

In NINE, there's a lot of great stuff going on that isn't obvious like, say, big technical instrumental sections (allthough they are present but rather short) or high pitched vocals. It's in the little things, arrangements, layers... It's pretty genius and it DOES feel like a lot of time was spent writing and arranging the songs. I'd say it's done so well yet so subtle that it seems to be covered up by the even bigger portion of 'poppyness' they added to their sound.

The flawless production doesn't help make these details stand out either. It's all blended in so well, but I find that the more I listen to it the more I'm convinced this could be there best work.

^This.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: June 06, 2012, 07:15:32 AM »

^This.

well put mister  ... subtle is a perfect word to describe what's going on there.. this is an album that one shouldn't hurry up to review... it's one of those that takes time to GET it... me thinks...

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #333 on: June 06, 2012, 08:16:20 AM »
^^maybe^^

If any band...ANY BAND...is going to get the benefit of extra spins from me it's this one.

I expect my opinion to change.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: June 06, 2012, 08:26:04 AM »
that's good news hun... I'm hopeful  :)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #335 on: June 06, 2012, 09:17:47 AM »
You should try and interview these guys.........maybe see if they need a sexy hot manager.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #336 on: June 06, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
I was a bit worried when I heard their sound had changed. I really liked 1st Chapter and Isolate, even if the composition quality wasn't spread even across the songs.

However, I really like this album. I can't even remember the last time I heard songs so well composed and structured from a prog metal band. Architect of Fortune is a song that varies and jumps between a lot of different sections, but the flow is perfect and only if you focus you actually understand how varied it is. I Am and The One are for the moment the only songs I don't quite enjoy as much as the others. And all hands down for the production, freaking awesome sound!

Circus Maximus should help out Dream Theater with production and song composition when it's time for the next album ;)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: June 06, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »
You should try and interview these guys.........maybe see if they need a sexy hot manager.

Already scheduled  ;)

Michael asked me why I came up with the name lady obscure today....  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: June 06, 2012, 10:43:42 AM »
After 5 listens it hasn't gotten any better. :disappointed:

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #339 on: June 06, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »
replay just Architect of Fortune over and over....THEN.......let teh whole thing run through.

It's not actually THAT poppy.....it's just smart.

I really miss the high vocals though.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: June 06, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »
It's not actually THAT poppy.....it's just smart.

eaxctly.. their art is just a lil obscure on this one  ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: June 06, 2012, 11:47:05 AM »
I don't have any problem with poppy stuff, flying colors is poppy and I love it. This is just meh

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: June 06, 2012, 11:58:27 AM »
I don't have any problem with poppy stuff, flying colors is just meh

FTFY  ;)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: June 06, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »
I don't have any problem with poppy stuff, flying colors is poppy and I love it. This is just a masterpiece.

FTFY  ;)

FTFY ;)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: June 06, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »
It's the battle of the FIFY's!  :lol

Seriously, though, I have to stop listening to this album or I'm going to wear it out too soon.  Luckily I've purchased a few others recently  :hat

Offline Pettor

« Reply #345 on: June 06, 2012, 02:41:41 PM »
The only problem I find with Circus Maximus is the artwork. Don't like it. The new is ok, but feels boring. It doesn't fit the music well imo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: June 06, 2012, 04:34:05 PM »
The album is starting to grow on me after a few listens.  I don't think its better than isolate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: June 07, 2012, 05:08:47 AM »
Just listened to Nine for the first time, and I must say I really enjoyed it.  Isolate was good but never really got a lot of plays from me and First Chapter I only got about a week ago and haven't played it yet, but this album is right up my alley.

I love the change in direction from Isolate here.  I look forward to listening to it more.  It's basically a less 80's inspired version of The Magnificent, with some splashes of prog.  Great songs, and a good mix between melodies and complex instrumental arrangements.  It's got great production, it's mature, well written and performed well.  Good stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2012, 06:21:32 AM »
Just listened to Nine for the first time, and I must say I really enjoyed it.  Isolate was good but never really got a lot of plays from me and First Chapter I only got about a week ago and haven't played it yet, but this album is right up my alley.

I love the change in direction from Isolate here.  I look forward to listening to it more.  It's basically a less 80's inspired version of The Magnificent, with some splashes of prog.  Great songs, and a good mix between melodies and complex instrumental arrangements.  It's got great production, it's mature, well written and performed well.  Good stuff.

Holy fuck dude, go fix that now.  And then go watch Gladiator all over again too (you'll know why after you hear Glory of the Empire).  Seriously, listen to this as soon as you wake up tomorrow.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: June 07, 2012, 04:00:42 PM »

Holy fuck dude, go fix that now.  And then go watch Gladiator all over again too (you'll know why after you hear Glory of the Empire).  Seriously, listen to this as soon as you wake up tomorrow.

I'm ripping it to my computer right now.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.