Author Topic: The Circus Maximus Thread (merged)  (Read 102514 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Circus Maximus Thread (merged)
« Reply #840 on: May 22, 2024, 06:46:30 PM »
CM were easily at their best with Nine.  That's really the only one I loved.  Their early prog stuff I felt was pretty generic and bland to be truthful.  Nine had the perfect blend of prog and melodic rock elements.  Havok was definitely a step down but had its moments.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #841 on: May 23, 2024, 04:27:37 AM »
There's a great EP buried in Havoc

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #842 on: May 23, 2024, 05:19:18 AM »
There's a great EP buried in Havoc

I agree completely.  Remove the three track run of Highest Bitter-Havoc-Pages, and you've got a great 6-song EP.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: May 23, 2024, 09:12:47 AM »
CM were easily at their best with Nine.  That's really the only one I loved.  Their early prog stuff I felt was pretty generic and bland to be truthful.  Nine had the perfect blend of prog and melodic rock elements.  Havok was definitely a step down but had its moments.

I really haven't listened to their albums in full in a bit (but I have been listening to them on shuffle) and I think this is where I sit as well. Nine was maybe their best, followed by Isolate with those two being the standout albums.  Then Havok.  I don't think I ever really listened to The 1st Chapter much. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #844 on: May 23, 2024, 10:17:18 AM »
I really haven't listened to their albums in full in a bit (but I have been listening to them on shuffle) and I think this is where I sit as well. Nine was maybe their best, followed by Isolate with those two being the standout albums.  Then Havok.  I don't think I ever really listened to The 1st Chapter much.

Havok was the only one I think I may have listened to in full maybe a dozen times. Nothing real exciting in it.

But all the others are fun to listen to. I agree Nine is them at their peak so to speak.....but, I go First Chapter over Isolate. I really liked First Chapter, not that Isoloate isn't great but First Chapter just hits me in a good spot
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #845 on: May 23, 2024, 10:27:16 AM »
Glory of the Empire is a glorious song (pun intended)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #846 on: May 23, 2024, 11:07:02 AM »
I didn't care for their stylistic change after Isolate, so if new material is in the vein of their newer material, then it isn't for me.  Cool that they're back to being an active band again.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: May 23, 2024, 11:14:09 AM »
Havoc had a lot of good stuff even if I was lukewarm about it at first. I'm good if they either continue in that direction, or go back to The First Chapter/Isolate. So I guess I'm good either way, excited for a new album from them.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #848 on: May 23, 2024, 11:15:37 PM »
Glory of the Empire is a glorious song (pun intended)

The demo version is awesome! Same with Imperial Destruction and the demo of Marion.