Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 345246 times)

Offline Aniland

Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #630 on: June 29, 2011, 11:04:15 AM »
Like I said, LaBrie-written songs usually don't have as strong of vocal melodies (ironically enough). "Prophets of War", "Anna Lee"... okay, "One Last Time" had a pretty giant and bitchin one, but it was more of a reprisal of the already existing melody that Overture 1928 introduced.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #631 on: June 29, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »
In all honesty... I enjoy Lames voice better when he sings melodies like this compared to "Rangier" stuff  (is that a word??...LOL)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: June 29, 2011, 11:06:52 AM »
So, I just listened to the song for the second time. While it has some interesting stuff, I think it's still following the lines of the last few albums and I was hoping for a bigger change. For the production the only thing I'd change is having the cymbals a little louder. I hope the rest of the songs do not follow the same path as this one.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #633 on: June 29, 2011, 11:09:44 AM »
Who else hears some screaming thingy at the very end lol?

It's a keyboard filter slowly opening (escalating upwards)

Hey guys... WHAT IF THIS IS JUST THE SINGLE EDIT AND IT'S ACTUALLY LONGER

The entire arc of the song feels present, so I doubt it had more to say.  Also, why edit something to over 8 mins, which is still too long for radio play?

A few LTE inspired nuggets - some of Jordan's patches and the pre-chorus riff is very Universal Mind.  DT also employs the same song structure used in Pull me Under, so I wonder if they were trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: June 29, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »
So, I just listened to the song for the second time. While it has some interesting stuff, I think it's still following the lines of the last few albums and I was hoping for a bigger change. For the production the only thing I'd change is having the cymbals a little louder. I hope the rest of the songs do not follow the same path as this one.

Keep in mind, this is a crappy youtube mix.  HOPEFULLY in the proper format it will sound better :)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #635 on: June 29, 2011, 11:13:32 AM »
So I ran home over lunch so I could listen to the song. My first impressions were very positive. I think it had some of that old DT feeling while still meshing with their more modern sound. Definitely gets me excited to hear the rest of the album.

My constuctive criticism of the song: I thought it was a tad long. I think it would have been better at 6-7 minutes rather than almost 9. It just dragged a bit in the middle. As much as I love Jordan (that piano solo!!!), I think that a lot of the time he just doodles too much. Instead of plinking away over a guitar riff, how about just laying down some cool organ or synth sounds? There were a couple of spots I thought would have been better served in that way.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: June 29, 2011, 11:14:29 AM »
Hey guys... WHAT IF THIS IS JUST THE SINGLE EDIT AND IT'S ACTUALLY LONGER
It sounds really good, with great flow to be just an edit.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #637 on: June 29, 2011, 11:14:56 AM »
Like I said, LaBrie-written songs usually don't have as strong of vocal melodies (ironically enough). "Prophets of War", "Anna Lee"... okay, "One Last Time" had a pretty giant and bitchin one, but it was more of a reprisal of the already existing melody that Overture 1928 introduced.

Caught in a Web?
Statued?
Undecided?
Slightly Out of Reach?

These are all evidence of strong vocal melodies from his lyrics.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #638 on: June 29, 2011, 11:18:14 AM »
I can't get enough of this song.  :hefdaddy I really hope that the rest of ADTOE is as good, or even better, as OTBOA.  :metal

Looking forward to September 13th.  :biggrin:
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #639 on: June 29, 2011, 11:18:28 AM »
Our prayers have been answered...."We spiral toward disaster, survival fading fast"...

Now this is what I'm talking about, real strong opener, good bass, and piano.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #640 on: June 29, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »
Very cool song, but I am not too sure about the mix. Guitar and Drums sound muddy on many parts.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: June 29, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »
Interesting.  In some respects it actually reminds me more of their contemporaries, i.e. Circus Maximus.

The song actually reminds me a bit of a mix between Pull Me Under and this.

My thoughts:
 - The keyboards are the definite standout on this song - absolutely fantastic.
 - Very nice to have some audible bass work.
 - The vocal melodies are rather plain - I don't really find myself wanting to sing along to anything.
 - After three listens, I can't seem to focus on the drums very much. Maybe it's because they're so low in the mix, I don't know, but they aren't especially standout. I was really hoping to be blown away by Mangini's recorded debut with Dream Theater. At least he's got another eight tracks to prove me wrong.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #642 on: June 29, 2011, 11:22:36 AM »
I think it's great, and in the direction I've wanted DT to go for a few albums. It's ballsy, not too much like ANTR, and it's proggy, much like something from FII.  With SC and BC&SL I find the direction of BALLZ METAL was too much for an old school DT fan. If the rest of the album is like this single, I'll be very surprised and happy.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: June 29, 2011, 11:23:39 AM »
Unable to stop listening to this song after almost 2.5 hours...

Constantly discovering awesome new stuff!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #644 on: June 29, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »
Giving it a second spin now. I must say, my first impression is better then anything from the last 2 albums. I mean that honestly, not just being a hater. I had to sort of grow to love the recent stuff, but this is legitimately strong and I'm sure will sit well for quite some time. I feel this is a much better representation of where the members are and what they're capable of. I think LaBrie sounds his strongest in quite some time due to not straining at all. He's in his comfort zone. Everyone is highlighted, the lyrics are good, and the structure doesn't feel forced. Consider me excited for the entire album!

Offline Aniland

« Reply #645 on: June 29, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »
Mangini is so shockingly wonderful, and I already had high hopes.

Offline italianoman

• Where am I?
« Reply #646 on: June 29, 2011, 11:25:06 AM »
I agree with everyone who's not digging the vocal melody...that's the first thing I thought when vox came in; I was just like, eh...but the song as a whole is fantastic and I loved the guitar solo a lot. If only it'd kept that crazy prog chord passage from the intro going for some of the verse so I could hear the melody breathe a bit but still, so much better than AROP.
https://www.facebook.com/DreaminginWaves
I sing, I shred and I do it better than most monkeys.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: June 29, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »

I concur Mon Frer  :biggrin:  LOVE the cymbals @ 3:28

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: June 29, 2011, 11:26:21 AM »

It seems like they made the right choice.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: June 29, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »

Keep in mind, this is a crappy youtube mix.  HOPEFULLY in the proper format it will sound better :)

I'm not complaining about the sound at all (besides the cymbal volume). The song in general sounds more to me like what some people here call "Generic prog metal", with a couple of good sections.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #650 on: June 29, 2011, 11:27:27 AM »
Ive listened to it 3 times, and by the third time, it started to click. It's a very good song. I will probably listen to it another 1-2 times, then that's it until September  :hat

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #651 on: June 29, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »
Listening right now! :metal James' vocals just started, so far this reminds me of Images & Words! BTW, I've never seen so many people online on DTF!

Offline Aniland

« Reply #652 on: June 29, 2011, 11:28:54 AM »
I agree with everyone who's not digging the vocal melody...that's the first thing I thought when vox came in; I was just like, eh...but the song as a whole is fantastic and I loved the guitar solo a lot. If only it'd kept that crazy prog chord passage from the intro going for some of the verse so I could hear the melody breathe a bit but still, so much better than AROP.

Something I notice: I'm legitimately excited for the instrumentation, which is usually not the case and I'm usually only thinking of it as fillery due to some of the wank of past albums. There's literally no wank here; everything is completely melodic and with purpose. They used those eight minutes and several seconds very, VERY well.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #653 on: June 29, 2011, 11:29:15 AM »
such a good instrumental section.

-piano
-tasty JP solo w/ a few of his old tricks
- LTE jam session

short and really freakin sweet

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: June 29, 2011, 11:29:42 AM »
Listening right now! :metal James' vocals just started, so far this reminds me of Images & Words! BTW, I've never seen so many people online on DTF!

There's never been so many people online on DTF.  =D
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #655 on: June 29, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
I've actually forced myself to close the window and stop listening entirely; I don't want it to become stale so long before the album is released.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #656 on: June 29, 2011, 11:30:50 AM »
Sadly, this song is just as uninspired as much of the past three albums. The vocals and melodies are just there.

The lyrics are my least favorite type of DT lyrics: vaguely politicized and seemingly critical about society. Really, DT's lyrics have been a major MAJOR problem for me for a while now. Could somebody please explain what these lyrics are about, because I don't want an album full of more Sacrificed Sons, Prophets of War, In the Name of God, The Great Debate type stuff. Maybe I'm totally wrong about what this song's about, so I'd like to proven wrong so I can actually enjoy it more.

So far the only thing I like is the intro, the bass being upfront, and one of the riffs. I knew most people would like it, but I guess I'm not much of a fan of new DT anymore. This cements it. :sad:

I hear Justin Beiber is making good music these days....    just a suggestion.  :lol

I really can't understand how anyone that is a DT fan, especially of the earlier stuff couldnt absolutely love this single.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #657 on: June 29, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »
im also glad that JR's 'solo' was the piano break.
no wah-wah feedbacky lead section

Offline mentalny

• Croatia DT fan
« Reply #658 on: June 29, 2011, 11:31:48 AM »
Sadly, this song is just as uninspired as much of the past three albums. The vocals and melodies are just there.

The lyrics are my least favorite type of DT lyrics: vaguely politicized and seemingly critical about society. Really, DT's lyrics have been a major MAJOR problem for me for a while now. Could somebody please explain what these lyrics are about, because I don't want an album full of more Sacrificed Sons, Prophets of War, In the Name of God, The Great Debate type stuff. Maybe I'm totally wrong about what this song's about, so I'd like to proven wrong so I can actually enjoy it more.

So far the only thing I like is the intro, the bass being upfront, and one of the riffs. I knew most people would like it, but I guess I'm not much of a fan of new DT anymore. This cements it. :sad:

I agree COMPLETELY!  ;) ;)

Let the light surround you !

Offline John94

« Reply #659 on: June 29, 2011, 11:32:40 AM »
I get a I&W vibe from the drumming. I don't know why but I just do.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #660 on: June 29, 2011, 11:33:37 AM »
I'm really glad they released the album opener, because when we get the album now, it's not a matter of, "So I have that part that I've heard a billion times coming up in two tracks... then six more!" It's what we know from the get-go as a wonderful opener, and it will breathe new life into the song as we'll know that there's more to come right after it.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: June 29, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »
That's one thing I'm not getting - the SFAM/I&W vibes others are talking about.  I hear a little PMU in it at times, but other than that, I don't see it.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #662 on: June 29, 2011, 11:34:50 AM »

There's never been so many people online on DTF.  =D
You're right: "Most Online Ever: 966 (Today at 07:11:31 PM) "

Offline darkshade

« Reply #663 on: June 29, 2011, 11:37:31 AM »
That's one thing I'm not getting - the SFAM/I&W vibes others are talking about.  I hear a little PMU in it at times, but other than that, I don't see it.

I said it before, but to me it has more of a SDoIT vibe, with FII production values. But I'm sure once the album comes out and it's been digested, it will be "It has that ADTOE-vibe"  ;D

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: June 29, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »

I hear a LOT of SFAM..not so much I&W's.  Keys around 2:28 sound very SFAM, and in quite a few other places.