Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647202 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3710 on: May 12, 2016, 01:14:48 PM »
No need for that.  Especially since your point doesn't seem to hold, and everyone else agrees.
Whether or not my opinion holds in the majority's view is irrelevant. I got a misdirected (and somewhat condescending) comment and replied accordingly. I never said or even implied anything about "action scenes," so my conclusion was that what I said was completely misinterpreted by BlackInk, as in "went over his head," hence the picture I linked. No reason to keep arguing without a common frame of reference.

I stand by my point, the last episode was a filler with very few meaningful plot developments, simple as that. I don't see why that is such a controversial stance, but oh well. It wouldn't necessarily be a problem in and of itself, the plot's pacing isn't an indicator of how entertaining a show is, so no need to get hung up on that one particular aspect. My gripe is that Dany's, Ayra's and the High Sparrow's plotlines simply aren't entertaining to me at this point, and they take up a huge chunk of the show. I just wish they would get on with them already, instead of dragging them out like they do. I wanna see what's happening in Dorne instead, for instance. That's why the pacing bothers me. Over and out.

I agree in regards to your impression of Dany's, Arya's, and the High Sparrow's plots. I'm not that excited with the whole scene of her being taken by the Dothraki. I feel like we've been there with them already, so why not try something else? It's just my opinion, so no need for anyone to get their feathers ruffled. I didn't enjoy reading Arya's chapters in the book during this time. I'm just hoping all of this slow build-up serves to bring us some fantastic end. The High Sparrow agitates me so I just wish someone would put him out of his misery or maybe let him indulge in life and get laid or something.

Where our opinions differ is that I think there has been a lot of excitement this season so far. I remember early on in season five feeling like it was really dragging and was hoping it was being built up towards something amazing, and it was. I don't feel that same slowness with season six. I feel much more excited by everything happening. I think Sam's scene was added in just so we didn't forget what was going on with him. I feel like once he gets to his hometown and then Old Town, we're going to see some interesting things. I'm really excited about him getting to Old Town.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3711 on: May 12, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »
My gripe is that Dany's, Ayra's and the High Sparrow's plotlines simply aren't entertaining to me at this point, and they take up a huge chunk of the show. I just wish they would get on with them already, instead of dragging them out like they do. I wanna see what's happening in Dorne instead, for instance. That's why the pacing bothers me. Over and out.
None of that has anything to do with plot advancements though. If the problem is that you're not finding it very interesting (which is fair enough and each to their own) then just say that. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3712 on: May 12, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
I got a misdirected (and somewhat condescending) comment

No. You literally called all scenes filler except the one action scene. Based on the information you gave me, I made a perfectly reasonable assumption.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3713 on: May 12, 2016, 01:29:05 PM »
No need for that.  Especially since your point doesn't seem to hold, and everyone else agrees.
Whether or not my opinion holds in the majority's view is irrelevant. I got a misdirected (and somewhat condescending) comment and replied accordingly. I never said or even implied anything about "action scenes," so my conclusion was that what I said was completely misinterpreted by BlackInk, as in "went over his head," hence the picture I linked. No reason to keep arguing without a common frame of reference.

I stand by my point, the last episode was a filler with very few meaningful plot developments, simple as that. I don't see why that is such a controversial stance, but oh well. It wouldn't necessarily be a problem in and of itself, the plot's pacing isn't an indicator of how entertaining a show is, so no need to get hung up on that one particular aspect. My gripe is that Dany's, Ayra's and the High Sparrow's plotlines simply aren't entertaining to me at this point, and they take up a huge chunk of the show. I just wish they would get on with them already, instead of dragging them out like they do. I wanna see what's happening in Dorne instead, for instance. That's why the pacing bothers me. Over and out.

I agree in regards to your impression of Dany's, Arya's, and the High Sparrow's plots. I'm not that excited with the whole scene of her being taken by the Dothraki. I feel like we've been there with them already, so why not try something else? It's just my opinion, so no need for anyone to get their feathers ruffled. I didn't enjoy reading Arya's chapters in the book during this time. I'm just hoping all of this slow build-up serves to bring us some fantastic end. The High Sparrow agitates me so I just wish someone would put him out of his misery or maybe let him indulge in life and get laid or something.

Where our opinions differ is that I think there has been a lot of excitement this season so far. I remember early on in season five feeling like it was really dragging and was hoping it was being built up towards something amazing, and it was. I don't feel that same slowness with season six. I feel much more excited by everything happening. I think Sam's scene was added in just so we didn't forget what was going on with him. I feel like once he gets to his hometown and then Old Town, we're going to see some interesting things. I'm really excited about him getting to Old Town.

I agree with a lot of this.  I personally have found those three storylines to be the most uninteresting so far, but they all have had some progress of their stories and all have had some interesting parts.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3714 on: May 12, 2016, 01:35:46 PM »
There's definitely progress in most of the storylines this season. Only Sam's clip last week didn't overly impress me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3715 on: May 12, 2016, 01:38:01 PM »
There's definitely progress in most of the storylines this season. Only Sam's clip last week didn't overly impress me.

Yup, and like you said, I think that was just to remind us about those two and what they are up to. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3716 on: May 12, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »
A little comic relief, too. Poor Sam.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3717 on: May 12, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
What's great is when he get's home, if he meets his father, you know his father will continue to tell him he is a coward yet he is the only man to kill a White Walker and a Thenn.  Pretty bad ass, but no one would believe that.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3718 on: May 12, 2016, 01:46:46 PM »
It should be a great scene when he meets his family. I think his father will look to insult him and then Gilly comes to his defense.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3719 on: May 12, 2016, 02:44:51 PM »
Plus, isn't his father Ian McShane? that alone is a bonus.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3720 on: May 12, 2016, 03:00:04 PM »
For years, I've been following James Hibberd's Entertainment Weekly recaps.

The last episode was no exception

https://www.ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-oathbreaker
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3721 on: May 12, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »
Plus, isn't his father Ian McShane? that alone is a bonus.

Not from my understanding.  I think he is playing a different part. Septon Meribald

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3722 on: May 12, 2016, 03:36:08 PM »
I was so excited when I heard that Ian McShane was going to be in the season. Then I found out it was essentially a quick bit part and I got really down :(. Such an amazing actor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3723 on: May 12, 2016, 06:14:58 PM »

Where our opinions differ is that I think there has been a lot of excitement this season so far. I remember early on in season five feeling like it was really dragging and was hoping it was being built up towards something amazing, and it was. I don't feel that same slowness with season six. I feel much more excited by everything happening. I think Sam's scene was added in just so we didn't forget what was going is on with him. I feel like once he gets to his hometown and then Old Town, we're going to see some interesting things. I'm really excited about him getting to Old Town.
:tup

My gripe is that Dany's, Ayra's and the High Sparrow's plotlines simply aren't entertaining to me at this point, and they take up a huge chunk of the show. I just wish they would get on with them already, instead of dragging them out like they do. I wanna see what's happening in Dorne instead, for instance. That's why the pacing bothers me. Over and out.
None of that has anything to do with plot advancements though. If the problem is that you're not finding it very interesting (which is fair enough and each to their own) then just say that. :lol
This is quickly starting to feel like the "But why male models?" scene from Zoolander.

I got a misdirected (and somewhat condescending) comment

No. You literally called all scenes filler except the one action scene. Based on the information you gave me, I made a perfectly reasonable assumption.
Nope, but thanks for playing.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3724 on: May 13, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »
So finally got a chance to watch some of the extras on season 5 bluray and I always find them fascinating. The feature titled A day in the life is quite jaw dropping in terms of the enormous effort involved in creating the show. The fact they shoot in 3 countries at the same time with thousands and thousands of people involved is really crazy. The fact that every subsequent season gets bigger in scale is mind boggling. No wonder they want a shortened set of seasons to close out the series.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3725 on: May 14, 2016, 11:28:30 AM »
Who would become King if Tommen were to be killed, which is something I see happening sooner rather than later? Here's an interesting article that goes into that discussion.  What does everyone think?

https://winteriscoming.net/2016/05/13/game-of-thrones-theorycrafting-who-becomes-king-if-tommen-dies/?utm_campaign=WiC+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3726 on: May 14, 2016, 12:13:52 PM »
Pardon me if I missed any speculation on this but since the Lannister's are obviously trying to plot something against the High Sparrow do you think he would allow himself to be killed as a distraction while his minions take out Tommen simultaneously?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3727 on: May 14, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
Who would become King if Tommen were to be killed, which is something I see happening sooner rather than later? Here's an interesting article that goes into that discussion.  What does everyone think?

https://winteriscoming.net/2016/05/13/game-of-thrones-theorycrafting-who-becomes-king-if-tommen-dies/?utm_campaign=WiC+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

This is something that I guess fans of the show thought about, but characters of the show didn't. Even though someone at court should bring up the question and provide also an answer, Tommen is young and all but so was Myrcella and she died, so the succession must be secured.

Robert Baratheon started his own dinasty (well, that lasted long), I don't know if you can go back to his ancestors since they never were kings to begin with. You can do this trick in a scenario where the Mad King dies but the rebellion is defeated so you can go "Ok, Targaryens are ruling since forever, lets' go back in time to find out some other heir, cousin or whatever", but you can't retro-actively consider the Barathon family a ruling one.

It's really a puzzle that has no answer, if at all, it opens a power vacum where everyone would claim the throne. The Tyrrels would probably suggest Margaery taking over until she remarries for example, but she's in prison.

I'd suggest that Littlefinger has a secret family tree certificate hidden somewhere to claim the throne by rights, if only he didn't have blatantly anything to do with Myrcella's death.

Pardon me if I missed any speculation on this but since the Lannister's are obviously trying to plot something against the High Sparrow do you think he would allow himself to be killed as a distraction while his minions take out Tommen simultaneously?

I don't think that the end game of the High Sparrow is to kill Tommen, I think he would just be content to control him (as he's shown to try and basically manage to do in the last episode), so that in return the king would sanction everything the Faith Militants do. If push comes to shove they're ready to get violent, but I think their aim is just to re-estabilish their ways, not to politically rule.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3728 on: May 14, 2016, 12:46:53 PM »
You're right as far as the manipulation goes. I just expect everything to be bittersweet in this show where we finally get to see the High Sparrow get his but he was actually one step of Cersei all along in killing her last child.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3729 on: May 15, 2016, 07:07:48 PM »
Finally!

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3730 on: May 15, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »
Ok, THAT was pretty badass.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3731 on: May 15, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »
I don't mean to go all fanboy but really I can't stop. That reunion was awesome as was the ending. Amazing episode again this season may just be my favorite one yet if it continues this way.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3732 on: May 15, 2016, 08:03:22 PM »
That first scene with Jon and Sansa was one of the awesomest scenes. When that door opened at Castle Black and I saw Sansa coming through I got goosebumps. Since season 1 we've been waiting for Starks to see each other again.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3733 on: May 15, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »
Amazing episode again this season may just be my favorite one yet if it continues this way.

My landlord who has read the books was saying that this season was his favorite so far which took me by surprise but he likes that they're exploring the territory that no one knows about yet. I'm enjoying it all the same but I've seen a lot of people going "that's it?" after episodes lately although it seems as if they're setting their expectations way too high.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3734 on: May 15, 2016, 08:15:18 PM »
I don't know what people are expecting. The two biggest characters, Jon and Daenerys, are breaking out, especially Jon. We finally had a Stark reunion after five seasons. Daenerys just proved again why she's a force to be reckoned with. Melisandre realizes that Jon is the prince that was promised. There is a LOT happening.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3735 on: May 15, 2016, 08:19:55 PM »
I agree, I just think a lot of people are expecting constant action or something along those lines every single episode but that's just a guess. I would agree that some of the storylines have gotten stale but the show has so many things going on that there is always something that is interesting.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3736 on: May 15, 2016, 08:31:32 PM »
I'm not going to comment on what people are expecting and what they like, it's bound to happen that people aren't going to like things.

The Dany story finally got super interesting as I did have a thought that she'll convince the Dothraki to side with her somehow and get them to Westeros just wasn't sure how that would happen but I guess the setup with the sons of Harpy burning the ships and Dany being taken away to Vaes Dothrak made it possible and I thought it was a great ruse to get their support.

I was sad there was no Bran or Arya this episode but having little finger return was great. Him getting the Vale joining with the Frey to fight Ramsay is another great setup I can't wait to see how that unfolds. I smell a chance the Frey finally pay for the red wedding. Then again how would the Frey fight against the Boltons since it was with Roose that helped them. Maybe things change with Roose being dead. I was sad to see Osha go I really liked her character.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3737 on: May 15, 2016, 09:49:18 PM »
I am detecting another gigantic battle episode like the one at the Wall, but in like... two or three places at once.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3738 on: May 15, 2016, 09:59:41 PM »
Or are the Wildlings, Stark allies from the north, and the Knights of the Vale all going to descend on the Boltons at once?

Online Adami

« Reply #3739 on: May 15, 2016, 10:02:02 PM »
Or are the Wildlings, Stark allies from the north, and the Knights of the Vale all going to descend on the Boltons at once?

Well, it looks like Snow has the wildlings already. And the promo showed Sansa back talking to Balish, so I assume they're there (at least in part) to recruit them. I just want to see a giant step on Ramsay.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3740 on: May 15, 2016, 10:13:28 PM »

Well, it looks like Snow has the wildlings already. And the promo showed Sansa back talking to Balish, so I assume they're there (at least in part) to recruit them. I just want to see a giant step on Ramsay.

I was expecting it to take the rest of the season to get coordinated. Then again, I guess we're almost halfway.

And while I get the appeal in a squashed Ramsay, I think it's time Sansa got the chance to win for a change.

Online Adami

« Reply #3741 on: May 15, 2016, 10:18:51 PM »

I was expecting it to take the rest of the season to get coordinated. Then again, I guess we're almost halfway.

And while I get the appeal in a squashed Ramsay, I think it's time Sansa got the chance to win for a change.

True, I just like the idea of taking someone (who is obviously going to die) that has been built up so much in how many people want him dead, and just give him a meaningless death.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3742 on: May 15, 2016, 10:40:14 PM »
Another kickass episode, tremendous season so far!
That Daenerys plan though.. 20% plan 80% luck I'd say. It must have went something like:
Daario: So you know for sure they'll all be there for that meeting with you?
Daenerys: No.
Jorah: But you know for sure that it will be an indoor meeting?
Daario: However you know for sure the fire in that place will be on stands and not on the walls?
Jorah: Is there a plan B?
Daario: Sounds like plan A is tight, good luck Khaleesi.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3743 on: May 15, 2016, 10:42:21 PM »

True, I just like the idea of taking someone (who is obviously going to die) that has been built up so much in how many people want him dead, and just give him a meaningless death.

Hard to believe after next week's episode we'll already be at the midpoint of the season. I am going to take a wild guess and say that the sixth book will be out before next season. I have hopes that the book will go further into the story than the current season does. That being said, does anyone think that the episodes have been focusing more on the Stark and Targaryen sides because they're showing opposing sides making their moves?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3744 on: May 16, 2016, 05:41:49 AM »
Yeah, truly great episode once again. Sansa-Jon reunion was probably my favorite just because how long we've been waiting for something like that. The ending was great too.

Him getting the Vale joining with the Frey to fight Ramsay is another great setup I can't wait to see how that unfolds. I smell a chance the Frey finally pay for the red wedding.

I think he just meant "join the fray", as in "join the fight". I don't think Walder Frey will have anything to do with it.