Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 650705 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3570 on: May 04, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »
Does anyone else think this week's episode title, Oathbreaker, is about Jon Snow?

Well I think we for sure are going to get a good amount of Jon Snow, but he wouldn't exactly be an oathbreaker right?

That is also the name of the sword of Brienne so could mean something for her.

Possible show spoiler:
I'm reading things online that are saying we may get the Tower of Joy scene as soon as next episode  :omg: and I do wish I did not read that, but I don't know if it's a rumor or a leak

Brienne's sword was Oathkeeper.

:lol so close and yet so wrong

:lol

Unless the episode title is a reference to Brienne breaking her oath that she made with Jaime or Catelyn. To me, it's either that or in reference to Jon Snow.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3571 on: May 04, 2016, 02:59:36 PM »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3572 on: May 04, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »
For all the crazy theories that spring up around the web, this could actually make sense.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3573 on: May 04, 2016, 04:29:52 PM »
Some theories about how Hodor ended up as "Hodor" I recall:

- It is somehow related to the Others (White Walkers), e.g. he somehow came to understand the nature of the Great Other and it drove him insane (basically based on the fact "Hodor" sounds like "Other", kind of?)... not too convincing.
- He came across something or had a traumatic incident in the Winter fell crypts which drove him insane (there's vague hints about the significance of the crypts and a lot of theories ranging from sensible to wild about important things that might be in there, and Hodor reacts strongly to them in the books I think).

- And by far the best imo, Bran at some point tries to influence the past by warging into a young Hodor / Wylis / Walder as he has done in the present, and by invading his mind ends up damaging him and turning him into "Hodor".

I don't get how Hodor would be protecting Lyanna at the Tower of Joy (Book spoilers - the "attackers" at the ToJ are Lyanna's brother the Lord of Winterfell and some loyal northmen, the "defenders" are Kingsguard and... a random Winterfell stableboy? Absolutely zero sense). It's at least vaguley plausible that he could have been present when she was kidnapped / left with Rhaegar but I don't really get why that would be the case.

The fact that "The Door" is the name of an episode might link to "Hodor" though. I have no real idea what that title could be. But then who would have guessed that the episode title "The Gift" primarily referred to Tyrion "I am the gift" Lannister?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3574 on: May 04, 2016, 05:27:14 PM »
Your theories are others I had heard before the one I linked to today. 

One of your theories is derived from this

The God of Winter in Norwegian is Höðr (also spelled Hod, Hoder and Hodur). It is pronounced in a very similar way to “Hodor.” Perhaps this is what Hodor means. Perhaps he saw the God of Winter and is trying to warn everyone that winter is coming? As Nairn mentions in the interview, George R.R. Martin is very partial to using Norse mythology is his storytelling, so this seems like a very good assumption to make.

https://www.inquisitr.com/2334395/game-of-thrones-what-does-hodor-really-mean-anyway/

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3575 on: May 05, 2016, 01:20:32 AM »
Anyway, I just realized that Bran binge-watching on Westerflix the past is very likely the way we'll see, if it's indeed true, the R+L=J theory come to life and see what happened at the Tower of Joy through his eyes.

It would only make sense, those who were there are all dead and the survivors weren't introduced in the TV show, you can't have a random character pop up out of nowhere and go How I Met your Mother on Jon Snow.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3576 on: May 05, 2016, 07:17:59 AM »
You know, when we find out the truth about Jon Snow's lineage, it makes me wonder how much his treatment from Catelyn would have changed. Would she have been pissed at Ned for keeping it a secret?

I like some of the theories for Hodor's aphasia. I don't think it's from Bran warging into him, though. As far as I remember, somewhere in the first book there was a sentence which alluded to the fact that Hodor has been like that for quite some time, which means it wouldn't have happened because of Bran. He's far too young.

I just read this theory about Hodor which I also liked.  https://www.yahoo.com/news/game-of-thrones-is-this-what-really-happened-to-140922109.html

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3577 on: May 05, 2016, 07:47:56 AM »
Interesting but from what we have seen, whenever soemone wargs, their own bodies become more useless than Hodor so I can't see how his conscience warged into a horse yet his body can still be active.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3578 on: May 05, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
You mean if the horse was slain, how did Hodor get back into his own body?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3579 on: May 05, 2016, 08:45:53 AM »
You mean if the horse was slain, how did Hodor get back into his own body?

More than just that, I forget what happens if your warged body dies while you are consciously in it, but I mean also that if he warged into something, the body of Hodor shouldn't be able to still have life per say (move, talk, function for the most part).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3580 on: May 05, 2016, 08:57:01 AM »
This is the post I have been forever trying to find again, regarding the ending to the series. George RR Martin had mentioned that he read one or two fan theories which actually nailed it on the head. He said with all of the hints he's placed in the books, and some speculation, one should be able to piece together the ending. This post is believed to be the one GRRM said was the one that nailed it. Needless to say, SPOILERS lie ahead.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/23p48r/the_true_nature_and_purpose_of_the_others_and_the/

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3581 on: May 05, 2016, 11:03:45 AM »
This is the post I have been forever trying to find again, regarding the ending to the series. George RR Martin had mentioned that he read one or two fan theories which actually nailed it on the head. He said with all of the hints he's placed in the books, and some speculation, one should be able to piece together the ending. This post is believed to be the one GRRM said was the one that nailed it. Needless to say, SPOILERS lie ahead.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/23p48r/the_true_nature_and_purpose_of_the_others_and_the/
That's pretty incredible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3582 on: May 05, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »

That's pretty incredible.

It's not an ending most people would assume. I could totally see Jon going to war against Daernerys. She tries to mean well but she has that madness in her blood. As much as I love dragons, those things will do more damage to the lands of the Seven Kingdoms than good. They're untamable but her children. Yes, she locked them up once before, but when it comes to war, she's going to let them them fly free.

Does she get this new Dothraki hoard to fight for her? She still needs an army and the Unsullied dwindle with each encounter they face. They're supposed to be this unsurmountable force, but the show makes they look like regular fighters.

There are a ton of unanswered questions that all have a part to play in the story to come.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3583 on: May 05, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »
I've read this theory before about the pact between the others and men.  It's plausible. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3584 on: May 05, 2016, 01:29:22 PM »
Does she get this new Dothraki hoard to fight for her? She still needs an army and the Unsullied dwindle with each encounter they face. They're supposed to be this unsurmountable force, but the show makes they look like regular fighters.

I suppose that she is to be shipped to live out as a widow, and that's where her heroes Jorah and Daario come in and rescue her and bring her back to Mereen.

What's the point of the two searching for her only to meet her doing fine and well at the head of a Dothraki army?

And the stuff about the Others is what interests me most about the show now. I love how everyone in the Seven Kingdoms is busy bickering with each other and nobody gives a damn about what happens beyond the Wall while it should be their first concern. There's no Gandalf knowing that long gone menaces are not really gone, and subtly watching over everything, they're all busy fighting over a ugly chair made of melted swords to realize or care that the world as they know it may end.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3585 on: May 05, 2016, 03:12:45 PM »

I suppose that she is to be shipped to live out as a widow, and that's where her heroes Jorah and Daario come in and rescue her and bring her back to Mereen.

What's the point of the two searching for her only to meet her doing fine and well at the head of a Dothraki army?

Because even when they do find her, they're still going to need an army. 

And the stuff about the Others is what interests me most about the show now. I love how everyone in the Seven Kingdoms is busy bickering with each other and nobody gives a damn about what happens beyond the Wall while it should be their first concern. There's no Gandalf knowing that long gone menaces are not really gone, and subtly watching over everything, they're all busy fighting over a ugly chair made of melted swords to realize or care that the world as they know it may end.

Stannis, Davos, and Melisandre realized where the true battle is.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3586 on: May 05, 2016, 03:42:26 PM »
Yea, more and more, people are slowly starting to get it, but it'll be more time before King's Landing gets it.

But also, I love how the Others are just slowly building up for us, the viewers, as well.  From small scenes here and there to the massive battle last season... to back to nothing for the last few episodes going back to last season.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3587 on: May 05, 2016, 05:03:44 PM »
Isn't there supposed to be an even bigger battle scene involving The Others this season?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3588 on: May 05, 2016, 05:45:36 PM »
Isn't there supposed to be an even bigger battle scene involving The Others this season?

Not sure, but I think so too.  I've avoided spoilers but I've seen some talk about that, that's why I was thinking they get to the wall this season.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3590 on: May 06, 2016, 02:29:21 PM »
Cool, doesn't really spoil much of anything.

I found an interesting theory regarding Tommen's immenent death and Robert Strong

https://mashable.com/2016/05/06/king-tommen-the-mountain-theory/#PbJbCqiLagq3

Seems plausible, but like all theories we shall see.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3591 on: May 06, 2016, 04:30:16 PM »
I wouldn't mind that. Tommen is a whiner. Even when he's yelling, you hear that whining.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3593 on: May 08, 2016, 09:04:22 AM »
Funny, but the two girls just standing there explaining the joke all the time kind of ruins it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3594 on: May 08, 2016, 07:54:18 PM »
FUCK YES

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3595 on: May 08, 2016, 07:55:57 PM »
Choke on that Olly, you little shit :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3596 on: May 08, 2016, 07:59:02 PM »
Die, fucker, die!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3597 on: May 08, 2016, 09:14:03 PM »
I can't believe how amazing every episode has been so far. Each episode has flown by with so much stuff happening. Unreal season so far.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3598 on: May 08, 2016, 09:23:56 PM »
As I watch these episodes, I wonder how similar the books will be, and how much of the book is being left out.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3599 on: May 08, 2016, 10:31:01 PM »
This is not a negative remark cause I love this season so far but also this is the fastest a GoT season has moved along story-wise ever, it's starting to feel like they're suddenly marching quickly towards the end, which makes it feel like a movie now for lack of a better comparison. But it feels too sudden and too different from the first four seasons, the fifth season now seems to have been made to serve entirely as a set up for the current one.
I miss the feel of the first four seasons a bit tbh, lots of stories and doors opening, a huge universe and a colossal web of characters and events, sometimes seemingly with nothing in common except for the fact that they all happen in the same world. Now it feels like everything is going towards the same thing, whatever that is, which is a natural way of preparing for a conclusion but it just feels a tad sudden, like there was no transition between how it was and how it is now except for the set up of season 5 and that really didn't feel like it was a sufficient transition, I dunno if I'm expressing that thought clearly.
Perhaps it feels that way because they're not following the books anymore, I haven't read them and I'm no book snob but it seems plausible a factor.
I also miss how in the first four seasons we spent each episode entirely in one place or with one character.
Oh well, it's still great.

Few things about the new episode:
- Cersei and Jamie are just plain and flat at this point, they're dangerous but not really interesting anymore. I hope they don't kill Kevan though, I like that guy.
- Arthur Dayne's sword fight scene was brilliantly choreographed. I always thought that eventually when the series is over HBO might do a movie or two about Robert Baratheon's Rebellion since it would of a great watch for GoT fans and now I'm wondering if they'll use this footage or recreate this scene again, or maybe just scrap it for being a sort of  side story to the rebellion.
- Melisandre is no longer on Arya's list, not sure why.
- Why does Davos think Jon is important? I guess that's a question for the previous episode as well. I mean Jon obviously is important but what does Davos know?
- Rickon Stark, totally unexpected! Though we were bound to see him again sooner or later. I hope Ramsay doesn't give him the Theon treatment. He didn't look freaked out or even upset enough about his capture or the death of his wolf, but that could be the actor.
- Is Arya really gone? Cause she was honest enough about being no one to drink that water and not die, if she's truly a faceless assassin now then that's not really interesting, cause as far as I understand it means she doesn't carry inside her anything that made her Arya Stark except a set of memories, so no revenge and no longing to find family members, etc.
- Haha Olly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:16:21 AM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3600 on: May 09, 2016, 02:40:50 AM »
fuck yeah jon you're such a mad cunt.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3601 on: May 09, 2016, 02:42:43 AM »
Finally no more Olly reaction shots. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3602 on: May 09, 2016, 04:09:54 AM »
this season has started off so well I'm worried it won't be able to stay this bangin.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3603 on: May 09, 2016, 05:11:15 AM »
Never got the Olly hate.  Sure he stabbed Jon Snow.... but he saw the Wildings murder his family and destroy his village. That sort of thing tends to stay with you, especially if you're young and naive.

In last year's finale, Jon "died" and Arya was blind.  Two episodes later, Jon's back and three episodes later, Arya isn't blind any more. What's next, Bran's legs gonna get fix? Theon's peepee gonna grow back?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3604 on: May 09, 2016, 05:24:46 AM »
RIP Shaggydog
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.