Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647149 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3465 on: April 28, 2016, 09:25:42 AM »
For me Jaimie's best moment remains the explanation to Brienne of why he killed the Mad King. He's despised by everyone for the best decision he made in his life, and he's too proud (and too certain to be right) to explain himself, letting everyone call him Kingslayer. The same king that would have been killed on spot 2 minutes later when Ned Startk and company arrived in the throne room  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3466 on: April 28, 2016, 09:31:36 AM »
For me Jaimie's best moment remains the explanation to Brienne of why he killed the Mad King.

Agreed, I love that scene.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3467 on: April 28, 2016, 09:44:43 AM »
For me Jaimie's best moment remains the explanation to Brienne of why he killed the Mad King.

This I can agree with.

Saw this on FB:

:lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3468 on: April 28, 2016, 09:47:38 AM »

Yea, great scene  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3469 on: April 28, 2016, 10:58:12 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3470 on: April 28, 2016, 11:17:35 AM »
I never posted about the episode here. I will go storyline by storyline from best to worst.

The Great

The Wall - The storyline we were all most intersted in to be honest. Amazing, beautiful opening scenes. The scene with Alliser Thorne talking to the Night's Watch was pretty good too - it reinforced the point that killing Jon was (supposedly) "For The Watch" rather than personal and name-checked Bowen Marsh and Othell Yarwyck, plus it shows how well Thorne knows how to play the game (let's all just forget Thorne that you were technically the one who opened the gates to the wildlings...). And the Melisandre reveal was obviously the main point of the episode. I wondered how they would show it if it was indeed confirmed in the show (there are hints in the books and from actor interviews for it), but I did not expect them to go so far. That will be one of the most striking and memorable moments in the series I think. Only real criticism there can be of this storyline is that not too much happened and it is clearly holding a lot back for the next episode or two... I expected we would see the resolution of Thorne trying to break into the room, but that they didn't include it in this episode makes me think it will be a pretty significant sequence with the return of Edd and the wildlings (and hopefully Ghost mauling Olly).

Winterfell / The North - Sansa and Theon's fleeing scenes were good, it really gives a good sense of the coldness. Ramsay and Roose's conversation in Winterfell was good. It was an odd moment when it was almost trying to make Ramsay sympathetic due to Myranda's death... but ending with "feed her to the hounds" is a nice reminder that it's the same old Ramsay. Finally Brienne and Podrick's arrival and the fight against the Boltons, and the scene of Brienne pledging herself to Sansa was brilliant, surprisingly moving and with nice little moments for all the characters.

The Average

King's Landing - The King's Landing storyline is the show's bread and butter, not much happened here this episode but it was a nice enough demonstration of the current state of a couple of key characters and a reaction to the events of the finale. Great moments for Lena Headey here. I am really ready for Jaime to distance himself from Cersei but the scenes in this episode were really focused on Cersei so I am fine with there not being any progression on that front.

The Dothraki Sea / Danaerys - I liked this stuff, and it is probably the most interesting Danaerys scenes that don't include the dragons in a while (not that that's a high bar). Also fairly clearly demonstrated how Jorah would easily have a chance to find the ring she dropped.

Braavos - A short scene, just tuching base with Arya really, but serves its purpose well - things look pretty depressing for her being blind and on the streets, and we've established the waif is going to keep coming back and force her to learn despite being blind. We can see more of that next time.

Meh-reen - Nothing much happening here. Nice to show the poor state of the city, and with Tyrion and Varys it looks like we might be exploring that a bit more than with Danaerys. Looks like they will acually be looking into who leads the Sons of the Harpy too. And the fleet is burned! The Ironborn may be back in play in the east. Why would the Sons of the Harpy want to take out theships? Maybe it will be explained, but just as likely it's a "let's not ask that question" moment.

The Abortion

Dorne - I am late posting here so people have probably read enough about this already... Look, Doran being abruptly killed off by Elaria Sand without getting to do anything obviously offends my book reader sensibilities, but if anyone has read some of my posts here you'll know that I am extremely understanding of changes from the book for the adaptation. I was actually quite excited to see the show diverge further from where the books will be going this season, so that they could focus on the material they have been doing really well rather than struggling with plotlines from the book that aren't easily adapted. So when I say this was an unmitigated disaster, it's not just because it's a change from the book or anything like that. I was also pretty forgiving of the Dorne storyline last year too - yes, it was poor, but it was just one weak storyline and I could understand some of the difficulties and missteps that led to it falling flat, and also see the elements there that at least had potential. I was happy enough to put the storyline behind us as one that didn't really work overall and had a couple of memorably bad scenes... but this latest stuff just took what was awful about Dorne last year and turned it up to 11 (while also killing all the characters that were at least well cast / acted and were mildly sympathetic and interesting), and shoved it right into the premiere too. To be honest, although it was just one bad storyline, it really put a damper on my enjoyment of the entire episode. Maybe if more had happened in the rest of the episode, it would have been enough to overshadow it. But since the other storylines were pretty slow and there wasn't that much other material, it was hard to just forget the utter disappointment that was Dorne.

So overall impressions... well, the beginning of the episode was fantastic. It was a little slow even by the standards of season permieres which usually spend a bit of time catching up on where different characters are and setting things up for the future, but obviously some of the stuff its setting up looks extremely promising. But even though it's just a couple of bad scenes, the Dorne stuff this time was so bad that it's hard not to let it sour the overall impression of the episode. I just hope we can get more of the good stuff next time so that I can wash Dorne out of my brain - and I really hope that the sand snakes don't become a burden that will drag the whole show down with them, which I was not worried about at all before last episode but now I must admit I'm a little concerned about...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3471 on: April 28, 2016, 12:27:37 PM »

This I can agree with.

Saw this on FB:

:rollin

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3472 on: May 01, 2016, 07:57:15 PM »
Holy shit some housecleaning this week. Also I'm happy about the end but part of me just didn't want it to be so convenient. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #3473 on: May 01, 2016, 08:00:06 PM »
Another fricking amazing episode. My favorite part was probably the part with the giant. I had an out there sorta bet that Jon Snow would come back as a white walker. I hope I'm still right lol!!
Actually no my favorite part was.. I think all of it. Man so many intense and excellent scenes. Ramsey oh my god!! Bran part was awesome, The scene with Jamie and High sparrow was intense and that scene with the mountain LOL.

Man what a rush that episode gave.

Also 'Don't eat the help' I think that's going to be my new signature.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:10:44 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3474 on: May 01, 2016, 08:15:22 PM »
Two straight weeks of housecleaning, except for that glimmer of Snow that won't go away.  :biggrin:  I didn't expect it to happen so quickly in the season. The part with Tormund and Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun was my favorite.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3475 on: May 01, 2016, 08:53:31 PM »
Well, we don't know 'what' Jon Snow comes back as.

With the 'Boltons'....I was wondering who was going to kill who first.  Didn't expect it to only take one minute.

Great episode!

Oh...the dragons had a chance for Chinese food, but passed on 'shrimp toast'.
(ya heard it hear first, folks)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online faizoff

« Reply #3476 on: May 01, 2016, 09:57:12 PM »
I got to thinking why the wildings fighting back with Ed was so much more powerful than I initially thought. Last season's Hardome really seals in that sentiment of loyalty to Jon Snow. Especially for Thormund who finally believed in Jon. God what an amazing episode, just thinking about it gives me chills. The franken-Mountain was awesome. Glad I have HBOGo and can watch all episodes as many times as I wish.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3477 on: May 01, 2016, 10:23:56 PM »
Good episode, even if a few parts were pretty convenient.

I think my favorite had to be the part between Jamie and the high sparrow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3478 on: May 01, 2016, 10:25:30 PM »
Another awesome episode! The build up and the anticipation for the events at The Wall were simply thrilling!
I was taken aback by how fast the Boltons story line unraveled, great stuff. I noticed Ramsay's stab came from a similar position and proxmity of which Roose stabbed Robb Stark.
Ramsay though.. if you check his pocket you'll probably find this:
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3479 on: May 01, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »
ME:

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3480 on: May 01, 2016, 10:30:57 PM »
Also, yeah.

If anyone deserves the title of a fucked up villain in Game of Thrones it's definitely Ramsey. With other characters, even if they do messed up stuff you can usually understand (kinda) their motivations and that's what makes the series so compelling. Speaking of Ramsey, he's just a sick bastard.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Online Adami

« Reply #3481 on: May 01, 2016, 10:50:57 PM »
Also, yeah.

If anyone deserves the title of a fucked up villain in Game of Thrones it's definitely Ramsey. With other characters, even if they do messed up stuff you can usually understand (kinda) their motivations and that's what makes the series so compelling. Speaking of Ramsey, he's just a sick bastard.

Really? I'd put him level with Joffrey. Ramsey has reasons to do a good amount of what he does, and the rest of it is just because he's a sick person who likes to see others suffer. Joffrey...is the exact same thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3482 on: May 01, 2016, 10:54:06 PM »
Ah, Joffrey. I forgot about the little bastard.  :lol

Yeah, Joffrey was so easy to hate. I was talking about active characters in the show, but I get perfectly what you mean.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Online Adami

« Reply #3483 on: May 01, 2016, 10:57:50 PM »
Ah, Joffrey. I forgot about the little bastard.  :lol

Yeah, Joffrey was so easy to hate. I was talking about active characters in the show, but I get perfectly what you mean.

Yea, of all the currently alive people, Ramsey would be my number 1 as well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #3484 on: May 01, 2016, 11:15:19 PM »
I think Ramsay is just another Joffrey but older in age. Both sniveling little shits and will be very glad to see gone by painful means.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3485 on: May 02, 2016, 01:09:51 AM »
Oh wow, I came here to talk about this NY Times article and found you fellas discussing a related topic!
I disagree with all above posts, I think Ramsay is a very different character and villain than Joffrey, to me comparing them is like saying Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister are similar for being good guys.
Joffrey was a flat character, completely one dimensional, which is normal for a teenager. His motives were non-existent, his sadistic nature came out of nowhere and all his violent actions were either unjustified or products of pure vindictiveness.
Ramsay is very interesting IMO, he's sadistic but doesn't let that get in the way of his goals, he's an excellent war strategist and a cunning leader. He also has weaknesses and emotional drives, he's much more real than Joffery.
Sadism is the only thing they have in common, but I don't think that's enough to label two characters "the same".
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3486 on: May 02, 2016, 03:13:07 AM »
aaawwwwrrriiiite.  bring on next week.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3487 on: May 02, 2016, 03:32:52 AM »
Definitely a better episode, though I didn't really like the Bolton stuff very much. Ramsay is just horrible whereas Roose was a really interesting character so it's kinda lame that he's gone. Unless, of course, the theory that he's immortal is right and he somehow comes back. :lol Also wasn't entirely convinced about Tommen wanting to be "stronger" i.e. more vicious - I'd prefer him not to turn into another Cersei/Joffrey.

But yeah, most of it was solid. Jamie and the High Sparrow was an excellent scene, the Iron Islands stuff was well done and seems to be quickly catching up on the books, and the ending was also very well done if unsurprising!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3488 on: May 02, 2016, 04:42:21 AM »
 Hell of an episode! So satisfying after last week, where I had to keep actively trying to remember the good material and supress the memory of the Dorne scenes...

I suspected Ramsay would be killing Roose (I much prefer Roose too), I thought it'd take longer but during the scene I started to suspect it'd be this episode. A bit abrupt, but a cool reference to Roose killing Robb Stark in the way he died. And the Walda scene was just grim, very well done. I also have a mildly interesting tinfoil theory about something similar happening later...

Most notable things for me were the Wall (obviously) and the Iron Islands. I was really satisfied with Euron's introduction, it was such a cool scene and I loved that they worked in some of my favourite Euron quotes from the book. Also there will be a Kingsmoot.

Edd and the wildlings return and the giant were great. I actively cheered when Olly rushed forward to attack the wildlings - not because I wanted him to succeed obviously, but because I thought it'd give a good reason for Edd or Tormund to cut him down or Wun Wun to stomp him to death. Didn't happen obviously, but at least it meant he was thrown in the cells.

And with Jon's return, Alliser and particularly Olly are nicely positioned to help establish what's become of his character. For example of he has become a more forgiving, Jesus-like figure, he might let them go and not punish them... But if (more likely) he has become a darker more ruthless Jon, we may see that when he kills Olly himself. And I even have an odd suspicion of how it might happen; with Jon and Ramsay now positioned as enemies in the North that may be heading for a collision, we might see scenes that parallel each other. And just as Ramsay has his own brother killed by unleashing his hounds on the trapped and helpless Walda and her baby, I think Jon's young "brother" in the Night's Watch could die in a similar manner when Jon lets Ghost loose into Olly's cell. If his death has made him more ruthless, which I think it will.

Every storyline was pretty good this episode. The fact that I'm not thinking much about great scenes like Tyrion with the dragons or Bran seeing young Ned, Benjen, Lyanna, Hodor (and was that a young Ser Rodrik too?) and "Middle-aged Nan", because they were overshadowed by bigger moments, just shows how much good and interesting stuff there was. Looking forward to next week's episode
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:49:08 AM by RuRoRul »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3489 on: May 02, 2016, 05:32:14 AM »

Every storyline was pretty good this episode. The fact that I'm not thinking much about great scenes like Tyrion with the dragons or Bran seeing young Ned, Benjen, Lyanna, Hodor (and was that a young Ser Rodrik too?) and "Middle-aged Nan", because they were overshadowed by bigger moments, just shows how much good and interesting stuff there was. Looking forward to next week's episode

I believe that was supposed to be a young Ser Rodrik, judging by the pork chops.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3490 on: May 02, 2016, 06:29:32 AM »
That was one hell of an episode.  For my money, probably the best single episode in several seasons.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3491 on: May 02, 2016, 06:50:26 AM »
Great episode and honestly, the most uninteresting part was the last scene of Jon's revival.  That was so damn obvious, when Tormund mentioned he was going to get a fire going I thought for sure he'd come back to live via fire, but I guess Melisandre was able to just do her thing now.  Too easy and predictable so hard for that to be the best part of the episode. 

Tyrion using his knowledge of dragons
Roose and family being killed off was surprising and it looks like the Karstarks are supporting Ramsay now?
Welcome Euron!  We see that you killed your brother so that's a nice spoiler for the books!  (Even though balon died way back when in the books, it was never confirmed who did it).
The High Septon in his rags is one bad ass, I really can't wait to see the faith militant die
Sir Robert Strong did some awesome head banging  :metal
Grey Worm looks healthy
Bran visions!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #3492 on: May 02, 2016, 06:56:27 AM »
I know there are still 8 more episodes left but for some reason it feels like it's very few. Maybe because unlike other seasons there isn't much in terms of setup happening, and we're seeing the things right away for the most part. I really hope they can bring Samwell Tarly and Gili in somehow. I love the chemistry between the two actors and really hope they shoehorn them in.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3493 on: May 02, 2016, 07:03:46 AM »
I know there are still 8 more episodes left but for some reason it feels like it's very few. Maybe because unlike other seasons there isn't much in terms of setup happening, and we're seeing the things right away for the most part. I really hope they can bring Samwell Tarly and Gili in somehow. I love the chemistry between the two actors and really hope they shoehorn them in.

They will be back for sure

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #3494 on: May 02, 2016, 07:08:49 AM »
So, Jon Snow is still dead in the books?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3495 on: May 02, 2016, 09:07:13 AM »
That was one hell of an episode.  For my money, probably the best single episode in several seasons.

I really liked the Tyrion/Dragon Scene. It wasn't flashy and I never felt like he was in any danger (I mean, they wouldn't kill him off like that...right?) but how he spoke to them as if they were people to gain their trust was interesting.

It was nice to finally get the worst kept secret of Jon Snow's resurrection out of the way. Curious as to if he's still "Jon Snow" though?

Ramsay....just wow. What can you say. Possibly the greatest villan going right now on any show...and up there as one of the best ever?

Really curious as to future 'visions' from Bran. That'd be such a cool way to learn Jon Snow's true lineage and if it's indeed the popular theory.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3496 on: May 02, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »
Forgot to mention another point about last episode, Hodor!  He is willis and wasn't always Hodor!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3497 on: May 02, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »
The books haven't got this far yet. For his/the wall's storyline, the latest book ended the same way as season 5.

I really liked the Tyrion/Dragon Scene. It wasn't flashy and I never felt like he was in any danger (I mean, they wouldn't kill him off like that...right?) but how he spoke to them as if they were people to gain their trust was interesting.
Also lent some possible credence to the theory that Tyrion is part Targaryan.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #3498 on: May 02, 2016, 10:25:47 AM »
The books haven't got this far yet. For his/the wall's storyline, the latest book ended the same way as season 5.

Hm... So the series is spoiling the books now  :lol
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3499 on: May 02, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »

Hm... So the series is spoiling the books now  :lol

Yup, spoilers everywhere for the books!