Author Topic: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29  (Read 214425 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29
« Reply #1925 on: January 27, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
My point was that during the Attitude Era, no one was chanting "Austin" while The Rock was wrestling Triple H (or whoever). I avoided mentioning the "Yes" Chant, because like "What", it's way to easy for the crowd to say it.

Well, this is a valid point, but I don't think you can pin this exclusively on Daniel Bryan's popularity.  It also has to do with the way people feel about John Cena and Randy Orton as opposed to The Rock and Triple H.  A lot of (if not most) fans are getting sick of seeing Cena and Orton in the main event, and I honestly think that part of the reason they were cheering for Bryan was just to shit on Cena and Orton.  I mean, yes, the crowd was chanting Daniel Bryan, but they were also chanting 'you both suck.'  I don't think Rock and HHH ever got that chanted at them.   :lol
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1926 on: January 27, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »
My point was that during the Attitude Era, no one was chanting "Austin" while The Rock was wrestling Triple H (or whoever). I avoided mentioning the "Yes" Chant, because like "What", it's way to easy for the crowd to say it.

Well, this is a valid point, but I don't think you can pin this exclusively on Daniel Bryan's popularity.  It also has to do with the way people feel about John Cena and Randy Orton as opposed to The Rock and Triple H.  A lot of (if not most) fans are getting sick of seeing Cena and Orton in the main event, and I honestly think that part of the reason they were cheering for Bryan was just to shit on Cena and Orton.  I mean, yes, the crowd was chanting Daniel Bryan, but they were also chanting 'you both suck.'  I don't think Rock and HHH ever got that chanted at them.   :lol

That is a very good point.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1927 on: January 27, 2014, 05:02:58 PM »
Thank you.  :)

Daniel Bryan is certainly the most popular guy on the roster right now, and he's extremely talented, so I don't mean to take anything away from him.  But I do happen to think that some of the people screaming his name are just sick of the status quo and looking for somebody new to rally behind. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1928 on: January 27, 2014, 05:17:20 PM »
I loved the "this is awful" chant during the Cena/Orton match.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1929 on: January 27, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »
As someone who doesn't watch anymore, I can't believe Cena/Orton are still the headlining match.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1930 on: January 27, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »
Exactly.  And now it's looking like it'll be Batista and Orton in the Mania main event - a match that I would have been pretty excited to see seven or eight years ago. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1931 on: January 27, 2014, 05:24:38 PM »
As someone who doesn't watch anymore, I can't believe Cena/Orton are still the headlining match.

Most of us couldn't believe that 5 years ago.

I'm not one of the Cena haters, I love watching his promos (even if they're all the same, he's just a good talker) but his gimmick is so old and tired. Even if he ever turned heel which isn't likely, the Wankster gimmick wasn't all that great either. What could he do to be interesting again?

Orton has never been interesting. He's always been a tool. 94% tool.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1932 on: January 27, 2014, 05:29:56 PM »
What could he do to be interesting again?

Get seriously injured and adopt a role as a manager rather than an in-ring performer.

... I know that sounds awful, but I'm actually serious.  I think Cena could be great as a manager, and I don't think he'd ever be willing to do it unless his body wouldn't let him wrestle anymore. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1933 on: January 27, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »
Dude, he has magical heeling powers. He's never getting seriously injured.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1934 on: January 27, 2014, 05:59:57 PM »
Dear Cleveland.... please be a hot crowd!

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1935 on: January 27, 2014, 06:14:13 PM »
So last night when JBL entered the ring you could see Kane crouching at ring side. usually the announcers are quick to be like WAIT WHO'S THIS OMG KANE but no one said anything, so I'm guessing he hid under the ring, but he definitely F'd up if it was supposed to be a surprise.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1936 on: January 27, 2014, 06:16:51 PM »
So I'm watching RAW now, just to see what the fuss is about.

Well-played McMahon's?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1937 on: January 27, 2014, 07:23:32 PM »
Why didn't Dutch Mantel come out with a different sign everytime a new participant came into the Rumble?!?! I literally laughed out loud at everytime he appears with a sign!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1938 on: January 27, 2014, 07:36:21 PM »
Why don't you call him by his current ring name? It would be like calling Umaga Jamal or something.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1939 on: January 27, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »
- Vince McMahon issued an edict this afternoon that the script for tonight's RAW needed to be heavily tweaked due to the crowd reaction at last night's pay-per-view. Writers were still working on changes about two hours ago. One source noted that Vince was not changing the script because of the negative reaction to Batista and the John Cena vs. Randy Orton match, but "in spite of it."

The new script reportedly is a vast improvement from the original direction.

Edit:
- WWE officials did not plan on the negative fan reaction at the Royal Rumble but Daniel Bryan not being in the Rumble main event played into the storyline that he's having to overcome "the machine" wanting to hold him down. WWE is behind the idea of wanting the fans to be outraged that Bryan isn't being pushed more.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1940 on: January 27, 2014, 07:59:04 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from Daniel Bryan.  He's definitely a very talented wrestler, and there's a lot to love about him.  But sometimes I can't help but wonder where he would be if someone else had beaten him to the 'yes' punch. 
Well, technically, Bryan stole that from UFC's Diego Sanchez. He always does that when he goes to the octagon.

Why don't you call him by his current ring name? It would be like calling Umaga Jamal or something.
Because he's fucking Dirty Dutch! He will always be Dirty Dutch Mantel to me!!

IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMNIT!!

No, but really, growing up the man was a stapled of the island's wrestling scene and I fucking haaaated him! FUCKING HATED HIM! And I can't let go of that :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1941 on: January 27, 2014, 09:01:40 PM »
maybe Bryan will win MITB?

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1942 on: January 28, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
PWInsider has confirmed reports that negotiations are ongoing between Sting and WWE. Word is that a decision must be made within the next 2 weeks on whether or not Sting is going to join the company.

The impression was also given, within WWE, that there will not be a match against The Undertaker, at least at this year's WrestleMania event. However, the idea of Sting debuting at WrestleMania XXX with some kind of cameo or vignette has been discussed.

While it was believed on Monday that no deal had been signed yet, RF Video's Rob Feinstein noted on Facebook this morning that he heard Sting signed a deal with WWE in the last 24 hours, for what it's worth.

It's looking good for Sting vs Undertaker at WM31 :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1943 on: January 29, 2014, 08:36:52 AM »
So, uh, apparently CM Punk quit the WWE.  No clue if this is a work or not, but it sure sounds like it could be legit.  Given that he is not one to tow the line, and with his contract expiring this summer, maybe the aggravation of not getting the main event of WM again, while seeing it go to a guy who just came back after being gone for years, pushed him over the edge.  Plus, he probably saw the writing on the wall and knew HHH was gonna bury him at WM anyway in their rumored match.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: January 29, 2014, 09:20:15 AM »
 :omg:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1945 on: January 29, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
He's gone.  Just like that.  Gone.  I wonder what's the next part of his life if this is not a work?

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1946 on: January 29, 2014, 10:28:25 AM »
I wanted Daniel Bryan to finally get a match with HHH, but not if CM Punk quits :(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1947 on: January 29, 2014, 10:30:26 AM »
Yep, that's the pisser.  If Punk leaving is not a work, then Bryan/HHH will definitely happen, cause HHH's ego is too big for him not to have a match at Wrestlemania, so he will in essence once again be letting his own selfishness get in the way of what is best.  If that happens, 80K fans booing the crap out of the Orton/Batista main event will be entertaining.  However, fearful of that kind of backlash, I could see Vince moving Undertaker/Lesnar to the final slot on the card.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1948 on: January 29, 2014, 10:37:28 AM »
Well The Undertaker's match should be the Main Event every year. Honestly when was the last time the Main Event was better or had a hotter crowd than The Undertaker's match?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: January 29, 2014, 11:05:09 AM »
So, uh, apparently CM Punk quit the WWE.  No clue if this is a work or not, but it sure sounds like it could be legit.  Given that he is not one to tow the line, and with his contract expiring this summer, maybe the aggravation of not getting the main event of WM again, while seeing it go to a guy who just came back after being gone for years, pushed him over the edge.  Plus, he probably saw the writing on the wall and knew HHH was gonna bury him at WM anyway in their rumored match.

According to wrestleview Punk approached Vince before Monday night RAW and told Vince he was going home

WWE has since pulled all CM Punk advertissing on future events

edit: also

https://www.tmz.com/2014/01/29/cm-punk-quit-wwe-wrestlemania-batista/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:31:41 PM by wkiml »
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: January 29, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
A lot of this has already been covered here, but here are my thoughts regardless.

By now, everyone who cares about wrestling has most likely heard the news. CM Punk has left WWE. To me, this is entirely different than when Steven Austin went home instead of putting over Brock Lesnar back in 2002. I still feel that Austin was very wrong for that. He refused to put over an up and comer despite the fact that countless wrestlers put Austin over.

If CM Punk really left, it has to be because despite grinding, night in and night out, he, along with everyone else that has grinded, were passed up in the opportunity to close out WMXXX in favor of someone who left the company in 2010. Batista was gifted the Royal Rumble win in his FIRST MATCH BACK. I can’t help to feel that Punk may have been promised that Rumble win and that slot in the main event of WMXXX due to the fact that he went along with having The Rock take the title from him at last year’s show, as well as working The Undertaker at Wrestlemania.

If that is the case, and Batista was handed something that Punk was promised then I can’t blame CM Punk for leaving. It would be one thing if creative decided at the last second to put over Daniel Bryan, Roman Reigns, or another full time wrestler instead of him. I believe that Punk would have went along with that. I believe that Punk is a team player. But in creative’s decision to once again outsource the Main Event of Wrestlemania to Team-Part time, what they essentially told CM Punk was that, they had more faith in Dave Batista to draw for WM than him. I can’t blame Punk for taking offense to such an absurd notion.

Normally I would say that a guy like Punk should have stuck it out for the benefit of the locker room. But I truly believe that Punk leaving will actually help the boys in the back. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Unfortunately, this all but eliminates any possibility of Daniel Bryan getting into that WWEWHC Match at Mania. He will most likely be the one to face Triple H. But this may work out in WWE’s favor, as they could very well decide that Bryan and Trips should be the final match of the show, even with the absence of the Championship.

With all of that said, I am still a big fan of CM Punk. And I will follow his career if he chooses to continue it, regardless of where it takes him.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1951 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:10 PM »
Excellent post Chris. 

And if you ain't down with that, I got two words for ya ...

Lol WWE
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1952 on: January 29, 2014, 02:47:26 PM »
Yep.  I read an article about it on yahoo where the writer basically says that Punk leaving is legit, but he doesn't think this is the end for Punk in WWE.  I could see him taking a while off, getting over the burnout, and then negotiating an even better contract than before and returning.  If nothing else, Vince is a guy who will bring back money makers, and while Punk might not be the machine Cena is at drawing, he still makes them a ton of money, and Vince knows this. 

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1953 on: January 29, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »
- PWInsider reports that WWE sources indicate CM Punk quitting WWE had nothing to do with Batista personally and it wasn't Batista that caused the decision. It was more a collection of issues including being burnt out, injuries, a difference in what WWE saw as a big push for Punk and what he felt was one, specifically facing Triple H at WrestleMania XXX.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1954 on: January 29, 2014, 10:15:06 PM »
Right.  I am sure HHH thinks facing him at Wrestlemania is some huge honor. :lol :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1955 on: January 30, 2014, 12:00:46 AM »
Apparently WWE are holding all-day creative meetings to reevaluate all of their plans.  Of course, I only read that on one site, so take it with a grain of salt, but I thought it was worth mentioning.  Sounds like some of this stuff might be leading to some legitimate changes.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: January 30, 2014, 03:27:38 AM »
And interesting Q&A with Mr. Punk (before he "left").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9si8cIjAaVo#t=45

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1957 on: January 30, 2014, 10:52:05 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1958 on: January 30, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »
And interesting Q&A with Mr. Punk (before he "left").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9si8cIjAaVo#t=45

Just watched this, and him leaving is not surprising in light of some of the things he said there.  What he said about the writers is totally right.  Not to harp on the "good old days" again, but back in the day, feuds and storylines evolved over the span of weeks and months, and when it finally got to Wrestlemania, so many of the matches were those feuds hitting their peak.  Compare that to now, where Wrestlemania is two months away, and yet what major feuds are there that have been building for a while?  Almost none.  The main event of Wrestlemania should be a major feud hitting its peak, like Hogan/Savage, Bret/HBK, or even Orton/HHH.  Nowadays, they just throw shit against the wall every week to see what works, and God only knows if something that happens will even matter two weeks from now, since they drop stuff all of the time and move on.  It's just a mess.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1959 on: January 30, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
Amen.  One word... competition (or lack of it).  Back in the 'good ole days', they had to build a national brand and compete with all the territories, then WCW.  They still had it in the Attitude era to some extent (maybe because they had so much talent, it was like being a kid in a candy store).  Then, they lost the ability to come up with much of anything that was new and interesting.  It's been a real long time since there's been any quality writing or character development.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion