Author Topic: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29  (Read 213143 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29
« Reply #1015 on: January 09, 2013, 04:13:48 AM »
Who is Generico? Is that his name or are you guys making fun of him?

And really? Big Show lost the title on a Smackdown taping?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1016 on: January 09, 2013, 07:17:39 AM »
It's his name.  I haven't seen a whole lot of him myself, but he's very talented from what I have seen.  I wouldn't expect to see this particular move put to use in WWE, but... BRAINBUSTAAAAAHHH!!!
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1017 on: January 09, 2013, 07:19:27 AM »
I saw the ladder war match between El Generico and Kevin Steen from the ROH PPV in December... goddamn was that a great watch! Lots of great spots, with the highlight (for me) being this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoX-wI6XpOk#t=2m14s
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: January 09, 2013, 08:06:17 AM »
It's his name.  I haven't seen a whole lot of him myself, but he's very talented from what I have seen.  I wouldn't expect to see this particular move put to use in WWE, but... BRAINBUSTAAAAAHHH!!!

I can see the WWE not allowing a bunch of his moves.....brainbustaaahhhh....ring apron DDT....couple of his powerbomb type moves....since they seem to be concerned about concussions and such
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1019 on: January 09, 2013, 11:40:16 AM »

lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1020 on: January 09, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
Glad to see CM Punk is still tearing it up. Love that guy.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1021 on: January 09, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
That pic was from 6 months ago. The rock posted a pic on twitter of him rock bottoming CM Punk from monday, and one of his followers replied with the pic above.

CM Punk did have a pretty awesome TLC match with Ryback on Monday though.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1022 on: January 09, 2013, 12:23:49 PM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:39:20 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1023 on: January 09, 2013, 12:32:56 PM »
For a heel, Punk cares a lot about the other super wrestlers.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1025 on: January 09, 2013, 12:59:12 PM »
Well, after a rocky start with Mistico and Kharma, Triple H is doing a fine job signing new talent!

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1026 on: January 09, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »
Hopefully Kevin Steen is one of the other wrestlers they're looking at. Can you imagine Dean Ambrose,Seth Rollins,Daniel Bryan,El Generico,Kevin Steen and Antonio Cesaro in a Money in The Bank ladder match :omg:

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1027 on: January 09, 2013, 11:38:25 PM »
Eh.  I don't know.  The more time that goes on, the more I agree with this blogger, minus the TNA stuff that's mentioned.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1028 on: January 10, 2013, 07:08:52 AM »
Hopefully Kevin Steen is one of the other wrestlers they're looking at. Can you imagine Dean Ambrose,Seth Rollins,Daniel Bryan,El Generico,Kevin Steen and Antonio Cesaro in a Money in The Bank ladder match :omg:

It'd be epic as shit! But Steen's move-set is not very... WWE-friendly.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1029 on: January 10, 2013, 07:32:10 AM »
Eh.  I don't know.  The more time that goes on, the more I agree with this blogger, minus the TNA stuff that's mentioned.

Whoever introduced the suits in WWE to Twitter deserves to be kicked in the nuts everyday. I completely lost patience with WWE when the show became "all the trending hashtags, all the time."
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1030 on: January 10, 2013, 08:12:28 AM »
I'm more surprise at how much they've cut down on the Tout shit, especially since Stephanie sits on that company's board!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: January 11, 2013, 04:23:07 PM »

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1032 on: January 11, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »
If anybody hasn't seen it, here's the "Pipebomb 2.0": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN2CCLF7MKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHM3zNg44u8&list=UUKFeW9ygqXEvsfYY0x0ZlXw&index=2

I finally watched RAW last night (we DVR it every Monday) and this, HANDS DOWN, was the best part of the show.  I may be getting bored with WWE right now, but not with Punk. :hefdaddy

"We'll go to commercial when THE CHAMP SAYS we go to commercial!" :metal

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1033 on: January 18, 2013, 11:04:17 AM »

That picture is awesome for two reasons. It's CM Punk with fuckin' Al Bundy and... ED O'NEILL HAS A BLACK BELT IN BJJ!!!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1034 on: January 18, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »
Someone said this at a wrestling community I go to, and I kind of see their point. Not to excuse Vince's bodybuilder as wrestler fetish, but when your "best in the world" champion looks like a spindly geek next to AL BUNDY, you can almost understand WHY he has it.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1035 on: January 18, 2013, 11:27:23 AM »
Someone said this at a wrestling community I go to, and I kind of see their point. Not to excuse Vince's bodybuilder as wrestler fetish, but when your "best in the world" champion looks like a spindly geek next to AL BUNDY, you can almost understand WHY he has it.

Not to mention he has a WHITE belt.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1036 on: January 18, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
So basically, Al Bundy could kick the shit out of CM Punk with his hand down his pants.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1037 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »
I laugh when people dog Punk for his size.  Not everyone has to be a big meathead like Ryback (who can't wrestle a good match, unless carried, and can't give a good promo to save his life).  Ric Flair and Steve Austin weren't big guys, by wrestling standards, either, and they were two of the four biggest stars the industry has ever seen.  Not saying Punk is on the level of either, but size doesn't matter when you can wrestle as good and are as awesome on the mic as Punk is.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1038 on: January 18, 2013, 11:44:36 AM »
I'm not one to judge on size. I actually like Punk and his mic skills are second to none.

Also, I love it when wrestlers break the fourth wall like Punk does. Worked shoots are my favorite kind of promos. John Cena does a good job of that too.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1039 on: January 18, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »
That wasn't my point. I've been following Punk since his IWA days, I know how good he is, but when you see him looking puny next to a senior citizen actor, you can understand why Vince keeps going back to bodybuilder types. To Vince, they're what he thinks people see wrestling champions as being. There's also nothing wrong with the Ryback types. Wrestling has had big brawlers who exist strictly to wallop people into oblivion since Crusher and Dick The Bruiser. People seem to forget that the most important thing isn't moveset or promos or whatever, it's getting heat and selling tickets and merchandise. Punk does it with technical wrestling and awesome promos. Ryback does it by obliterating people. Cena does it by appealing to kids. None of the three methods are any better or worse.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1040 on: January 18, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
That wasn't my point. I've been following Punk since his IWA days, I know how good he is, but when you see him looking puny next to a senior citizen actor, you can understand why Vince keeps going back to bodybuilder types. To Vince, they're what he thinks people see wrestling champions as being. There's also nothing wrong with the Ryback types. Wrestling has had big brawlers who exist strictly to wallop people into oblivion since Crusher and Dick The Bruiser. People seem to forget that the most important thing isn't moveset or promos or whatever, it's getting heat and selling tickets and merchandise. Punk does it with technical wrestling and awesome promos. Ryback does it by obliterating people. Cena does it by appealing to kids. None of the three methods are any better or worse.

Excellent points.  First and foremost (for WWE), it's a BUSINESS.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1041 on: January 18, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
Oh, I know, but I think a meathead like Ryback is gonna have a hard time having any kind of longevity in today's wrestling world, especially since promos are far more important and relevant than they used to be.  Fans already seem to be bored with him, and while the "feed me more" catchphrase he was given will help him, I can't see him staying a main eventer for long.  20 years ago, he would have been a heel like the Warlord or Barbarian; a big musclehead with zero personality who looked imposing, but never came close to being a main event guy.  But they are so hard up to find the next John Cena these days, they will seemingly try anything.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1042 on: January 18, 2013, 12:10:56 PM »
So when you see one of the wrestlers whispering in the others ear a lot, is that how you know they're carrying the match?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1043 on: January 18, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »
Not necessarily.  I just think that is when they are calling the next move.  You see that a lot when they are down on the mat, like when one guy has another in a chinlock or something.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1044 on: January 18, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »
Not necessarily.  I just think that is when they are calling the next move.  You see that a lot when they are down on the mat, like when one guy has another in a chinlock or something.

Yeah I know that, but how do you know when the wrestlers like Ryback are being carried. He looks like he can hold his own. It would be nice if they gave him worthy opponents though, besides Punk. That TLC match was awesome. Like put him up against Ryblack or Kane or someone big like him.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1045 on: January 18, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »
Some people are better at putting together a match in their heads and then coming up with a way to execute it than others are. Some guys work out the match backstage before they start, other guys have a vague idea of what they're going to do and wing it accordingly. The notion that a guy has to be carried to me shows a certain amount of contempt, because it argues that the other guy is there for the ride and the entire match's quality is strictly because of the awesomeness of the one guy who called the match. Ryback had to execute the match that was being called, after all, to use the current example. "He had to be carried to that match" is all too often the smart wrestling fan's code for "that guy I don't like is only good when someone I like wrestles him."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: January 27, 2013, 09:36:55 AM »
Dear WWE writers,

Please grow some stones and do the right thing tonight. Keep that belt off of team Part time. You're gonna make your Mania money either way, so do the right thing. Heck if you want Rock vs. Cena again. Have Cena cost Rock the match tonight, much like Rock cost Cena the belt at WM27.

Sincerely, a much better writer.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1047 on: January 27, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
I hope so, DoC, I sincerely hope so!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1048 on: January 27, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
Dear WWE writers,

Please grow some stones and do the right thing tonight. Keep that belt off of team Part time. You're gonna make your Mania money either way, so do the right thing. Heck if you want Rock vs. Cena again. Have Cena cost Rock the match tonight, much like Rock cost Cena the belt at WM27.

Exactly what I've been saying for months. If they're determined to give Rock the belt, at the very least have Punk retain tonight, and then let Rock win the belt in the Elimination Chamber.

Another thought I had, was that Rock gets the belt (although still preferably not tonight), and Cena beats him in an emotional rematch, only to have Ziggler cash in MitB and win the belt to end 'Mania
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: January 27, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »
Dear WWE writers,

Exactly what I've been saying for months. If they're determined to give Rock the belt, at the very least have Punk retain tonight, and then let Rock win the belt in the Elimination Chamber.

Another thought I had, was that Rock gets the belt (although still preferably not tonight), and Cena beats him in an emotional rematch, only to have Ziggler cash in MitB and win the belt to end 'Mania

The Money in the Bank Briefcase that Ziggler holds is supposed to be for a shot at the World Heavyweight Title. But they could bend the rules if they wanted Ziggler to cash in on the WWE Championship. But with that said, I don't think a Ziggler cash in would be how they want Wrestlemania to end, but we'll see.