Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 436011 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #490 on: September 30, 2011, 10:10:13 AM »
I can only think of one thing that really didn't work with the TOS remasters.  None of the new ships or planets bothered me.  None of the improved explosions or special effects bothered me.  Mostly they never touched the actual themes, ideas or stories.  The one exception was The Ultimate Computer, where they CGI'ed lots of exciting, gee-whiz space fighting with the other ships.  The original with the 4, then 3, then 2 ships flying in that blocky formation was much more dramatic, I thought. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #491 on: September 30, 2011, 10:11:17 AM »
TOS got some fairly big changes.

I didn't realize that.  I love TOS, but I rarely buy TV shows on disc.  I just wouldn't rewatch them enough to warrant the cost, so I'd never investigated it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #492 on: September 30, 2011, 10:17:20 AM »
TOS got some fairly big changes.

I didn't realize that.  I love TOS, but I rarely buy TV shows on disc.  I just wouldn't rewatch them enough to warrant the cost, so I'd never investigated it.

Well it depends on what you consider big changes. I'm not a purist, and I've never really seen the original episodes, so they don't bother me much overall.
But every space shot is replaced with CG, they've changed or replaced a lot of establishing shots of "planets", and added some other effects here and there. If you've seen them on TV any time recently though, they'd be the new updated versions. There aren't any George Lucas moments that I'm aware of, but if you're used to seeing them a certain way, there are differences and changes that some people have taken issue with.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #493 on: September 30, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »
Makes sense.  Thanks for the info.  I probably will rent them sometime.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #494 on: September 30, 2011, 10:43:22 AM »
They probably don't have the budget to digitally replace Wesley Crusher with someone else like we'd all hoped anyway.
:lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #495 on: October 02, 2011, 08:31:10 PM »
about to watch star trek generations. not too excited though cause Bones isnt in it, and he is definitely my favorite ST character

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #496 on: October 02, 2011, 08:51:40 PM »
Generations is great if you delete the middle 1/3.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: October 03, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
I love Generations, it was a huge spectacle in the cinema.

It's exciting, it looks great and has really moody music.

It's certainly a lot better than the tv movie that was Insurrection.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: October 03, 2011, 06:02:41 AM »
Which is everyone's favourite Enterprise design ?

I think the Motion Picture Enterprise is not only the best looking Enterprise but the best looking spaceship in anything ever.
https://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/d/df/USS_Enterprise-A_quarter.jpg

Enterprise 2009 also looked cool and retro with it's almost 1950's stylings
https://img.trekmovie.com/images/fanmade/enterprise_wall10_1920.jpg

Then Enterprise B for being a cooler looking Excelsior.
https://culttvman.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/jluisentb001.jpg

I just never liked the look of Enterprise D - too fat - too curvy. And Enterprise C was just  :facepalm:

Enterprise C :  :angry:  https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7jZdTjX63Qc/TmIdhTDjWJI/AAAAAAAAI2o/zfkSfmNUtrc/s1600/enterprise+C.jpg

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #499 on: October 03, 2011, 06:18:38 AM »
The original Enterprise / refit looked good.
The Enterprise B / Excelsior is an ugly dog that should be taken out and shot.
The Enterprise C is kind of stodgy and a rush job, so I mostly ignore it, but the recent finished Probert design is quite nice - https://bruce-domain.blogspot.com/2011/03/proberts-design-for-ambassador-class.html
The Enterprise D is really great from certain angles, but from other angles is stumpy looking, but I'm glad they did something original instead of just adding a speed stripe to the TOS model.
The Enterprise E is a sexy beast.

The Trek XI Enterprise is quite good, although the proportions are a bit weird. But I like most of the design changes. I love the chunky nacelles.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #500 on: October 03, 2011, 06:24:08 AM »
I forgot about Enterprise E - she was criminally underused !!

Much better design than the Galaxy Class .

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #501 on: October 03, 2011, 10:40:37 AM »
Enterprise D. She's the perfect marriage of form and function.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: October 03, 2011, 12:10:31 PM »
^ She isn't as elegant as The Refit Connie or even Enterprise E. D is just bulbous and as a bit too "futuristic space vessel" for me.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #503 on: October 03, 2011, 12:22:16 PM »
That's ok. You'll never convince me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #504 on: October 03, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »
^ She isn't as elegant as The Refit Connie or even Enterprise E. D is just bulbous and as a bit too "futuristic space vessel" for me.
It is, in fact, a futuristic space vessel.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: October 03, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »
No shit.

I meant it's too obviously sci-fi spaceship looking. Too Cliche. Just all curves and lights.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #506 on: October 03, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
Just all curves and lights.

*drools*

That's how I like my women, too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #507 on: October 03, 2011, 12:51:17 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: October 03, 2011, 03:19:46 PM »
Lights. . . . . .  :justjen Hmmmmmm......

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: October 03, 2011, 03:20:46 PM »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #510 on: October 03, 2011, 10:58:01 PM »
No shit.

I meant it's too obviously sci-fi spaceship looking. Too Cliche. Just all curves and lights.
Apple ship?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: October 05, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »
It was an apple ship......

But they ejected the core...  :hat

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #512 on: October 27, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »
I don't have time to read through this entire thread so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

At the end of Star Trek Generations when Picard buries Kirk, I always thought it was rather odd that they chose to memorialize his death in that manner.  Is it because Kirk always knew that he would die alone and they chose to characterize his memorial that way?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #513 on: October 27, 2011, 05:07:05 PM »
Something like that.  The whole premise of "Generations" -- something tantamount to time travel, but using "the nexus" -- creates a ton of logistical problems.  James T. Kirk is a legend.  Captain of the flagship for years, promoted to Admiral, busted back to Captain and thus the captain of the flagship again, then in a bizarro event he is "killed".  Gone.

But it turns out he's not killed, he's just in "the nexus", and 80some years later, Picard convinces him to leave it so he can help make a difference again.  Except they don't really tell anyone.  There's no press release, no celebration honoring the return of a legend, they just go off and fight Soran.  So when Kirk dies, actually dies this time, what are they gonna do?  He's been "dead" for... generations.  What can Picard do?  Tell everyone that Kirk wasn't really dead all this time, but, um, sorry he actually is now?

Kirk always said he knew he'd died alone.  He wasn't quite alone; Picard was there, but basically yeah, no one else around, and no real memorial.  It was weird how it played out, but my guess is that you're not really supposed to think about it.  Which is lame, but there you go.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #514 on: October 27, 2011, 05:12:07 PM »
So when Kirk dies, actually dies this time, what are they gonna do?  He's been "dead" for... generations.  What can Picard do?  Tell everyone that Kirk wasn't really dead all this time, but, um, sorry he actually is now?
That was what I was thinking.  Also,  did Piccard even know that he was going to rescued any time soon?  I don't recall,  but it's possible that he buried him out of practicality,  and then just didn't bother to tell anybody. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: October 27, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »
I always thought it was kinda sad that Soran just wanted to be happy for eternity.

I always imagined that he is still in the nexus and Picard and Kirk were in n alternative reality and Picard is still living in that existence to this day.

Plus Guinan is still in the nexus despite being "rescued" by the Enterprise B.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #516 on: October 27, 2011, 08:27:33 PM »
It is kinda sad.  I mean, yeah he's still an evil dude because he's willing to kill and/or massively inconvenience countless people just so he can be happy forever, but I have a lot of trouble with the story for Generations in the first place.  I realize that Paramount really, really wanted a movie that tied the two series together and passed the torch to TNG, but this was the best they could come up with?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: October 28, 2011, 07:41:48 AM »
I don't have time to read through this entire thread so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

At the end of Star Trek Generations when Picard buries Kirk, I always thought it was rather odd that they chose to memorialize his death in that manner.  Is it because Kirk always knew that he would die alone and they chose to characterize his memorial that way?

Because that whole movie is just one giant plot hole?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #518 on: October 28, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »
Something like that.  The whole premise of "Generations" -- something tantamount to time travel, but using "the nexus" -- creates a ton of logistical problems.  James T. Kirk is a legend.  Captain of the flagship for years, promoted to Admiral, busted back to Captain and thus the captain of the flagship again, then in a bizarro event he is "killed".  Gone.

But it turns out he's not killed, he's just in "the nexus", and 80some years later, Picard convinces him to leave it so he can help make a difference again.  Except they don't really tell anyone.  There's no press release, no celebration honoring the return of a legend, they just go off and fight Soran.  So when Kirk dies, actually dies this time, what are they gonna do?  He's been "dead" for... generations.  What can Picard do?  Tell everyone that Kirk wasn't really dead all this time, but, um, sorry he actually is now?

Kirk always said he knew he'd died alone.  He wasn't quite alone; Picard was there, but basically yeah, no one else around, and no real memorial.  It was weird how it played out, but my guess is that you're not really supposed to think about it.  Which is lame, but there you go.

That's a good explanation.  I never really factored that in, but the ending didn't sit well with me.  You're right though, what else could they have done considering the circumstances?  It was bizzare.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #519 on: October 29, 2011, 12:12:52 AM »
Diana Troy =  :tup

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #520 on: October 29, 2011, 04:08:36 AM »
In terms of best Enterprise, the juiced-up ship that Will Riker commands in the final episode is pretty awesome.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #521 on: October 29, 2011, 09:39:19 AM »
The one that can go Warp 13?  Yeah, that was pretty cool.  I love that shot where it comes up the Z-axis blasting holes through the hull of the other ship.  IMO there weren't nearly enough scenes that underscored how everything takes places in three dimensions (since it's "outer space" after all), despite Spock mentioning that very thing way back in STII.

Also, I did kinda laugh the first time I saw that scene, when they go to Warp 13.  All I could think was "Mr. Data, turn it up to 11!"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: October 29, 2011, 02:39:37 PM »
The one that can go Warp 13?  Yeah, that was pretty cool.  I love that shot where it comes up the Z-axis blasting holes through the hull of the other ship.  IMO there weren't nearly enough scenes that underscored how everything takes places in three dimensions (since it's "outer space" after all), despite Spock mentioning that very thing way back in STII.

Also, I did kinda laugh the first time I saw that scene, when they go to Warp 13.  All I could think was "Mr. Data, turn it up to 11!"

This. And the ships always went "forward". The Borg Cube is as "aerodynamic" as Enterprise - E in space. :P

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: October 29, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »
Speaking of Diana Troy I saw Marina Sirtis in Hooligans 2, which is one of the most horrible movies I have ever seen.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #524 on: October 29, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »
Speaking of Diana Troy I saw Marina Sirtis in Hooligans 2, which is one of the most horrible movies I have ever seen.
I saw her get gang-raped in Death Wish 3,  which almost (but not quite) makes up for that whole Deanna Troi thing. 
E.F. Benson