Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 430408 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #350 on: August 25, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »
Crap, I looked it up and I was thinking of a different episode.  There was an episode where Wesley falls in love with this girl who turns out to be a big hairy creature, or at least a shape-shifter.  Seeing her in her "alternate form" kinda turned him off.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #351 on: August 25, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »
Crap, I looked it up and I was thinking of a different episode.  There was an episode where Wesley falls in love with this girl who turns out to be a big hairy creature, or at least a shape-shifter.  Seeing her in her "alternate form" kinda turned him off.

Yea, awful episode. Forgot if Ashley Judd were in that one or another though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #352 on: August 25, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »
No , Judd was in that addicting flash game one, and maybe one or two others before it.

Online Adami

« Reply #353 on: August 25, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »
No , Judd was in that addicting flash game one, and maybe one or two others before it.

Oh yea, that one wasn't bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #354 on: August 25, 2011, 05:54:30 PM »

So then who is the girl that turns into that creepy monster thing? I thought that was Judd.

Online Adami

« Reply #355 on: August 25, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »

So then who is the girl that turns into that creepy monster thing? I thought that was Judd.

Jaime Hubbard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #356 on: August 25, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Yeah, I thought that was her too, but I looked it up and Adami is right; it's an actress named Jaime Hubbard.  She apparently did that episode of TNG, a made-for-TV movie, a couple of guest appearances on other TV shows, then disappeared.

Online Adami

« Reply #357 on: August 25, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »
Yeah, I thought that was her too, but I looked it up and Adami is right; it's an actress named Jaime Hubbard.  She apparently did that episode of TNG, a made-for-TV movie, a couple of guest appearances on other TV shows, then disappeared.

Disappear? Or morph into a bear thing and rule a planet?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #358 on: August 25, 2011, 10:03:13 PM »
It was her destiny!  That's what the old lady kept saying, the reason why she and Wesley couldn't get involved.  Man, it's all coming back to me now.  Except I keep imagining Ashley Judd as the girl.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #359 on: August 25, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »
Just so we're all clear here, you keep having dreams about Ashley Judd turning into a beast?

Online Adami

« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »
Just so we're all clear here, you keep having dreams about Ashley Judd turning into a beast?

Yes, he keeps dreaming about Ashley Judd turning into Wynnona Judd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2011, 10:12:48 PM »
Argh!  Everything is ruined forever!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #362 on: August 25, 2011, 10:19:55 PM »
Wow, just looked up her picture and totally not Judd haha. So what was Judds characters story?

Online Adami

« Reply #363 on: August 25, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »
Wow, just looked up her picture and totally not Judd haha. So what was Judds characters story?

She was in an episode about Picard speaking metaphorically to an alien on a planet. But her main episode was when Wesley comes to the Enterprise and Riker introduces everyone to an addictive game that is designed to keep everyone under control by some group who wants to take over. And only Wesley and Ashley can stop them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #364 on: August 25, 2011, 10:24:37 PM »
Hold on now, it wasn't a cameo! :p

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #365 on: August 26, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »
I thought Judd was either the young Q protegé, or the girl that everybody hated until they blasted her into Romulan space in a photon tube, never to be heard from again.  It looks like I'm getting my jail-bate mixed up. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #366 on: August 26, 2011, 08:57:05 AM »
I thought Judd was either the young Q protegé, or the girl that everybody hated until they blasted her into Romulan space in a photon tube, never to be heard from again.  It looks like I'm getting my jail-bate mixed up. 

That first episode was the sister from The Wonder Years. And I seriously am having trouble any episode where they launched some girl into space cause they hated her.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #367 on: August 26, 2011, 09:30:26 AM »
She was one of the cadets that caused that kid's death in attempting whatever that dangerous aerial maneuver was at the graduation ceremony.  She transferred aboard and Picard made it clear how much he loathed her and generally ragged on her every chance he got.  After putting up with his abuse for a while,  she got sent on some ultra-risky courier mission that involved launcher her into Romulan space.  When her friends were lamenting her apparent demise,  Picard explained to them that he had actually requested her so that she'd be give a fair chance to redeem herself, and he was just "encouraging" her with his constant abuse.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #368 on: August 26, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »
She was one of the cadets that caused that kid's death in attempting whatever that dangerous aerial maneuver was at the graduation ceremony.  She transferred aboard and Picard made it clear how much he loathed her and generally ragged on her every chance he got.  After putting up with his abuse for a while,  she got sent on some ultra-risky courier mission that involved launcher her into Romulan space.  When her friends were lamenting her apparent demise,  Picard explained to them that he had actually requested her so that she'd be give a fair chance to redeem herself, and he was just "encouraging" her with his constant abuse.

Dude she was sent on a mission and was killed by the cardassians, I remember now. She wasn't launched into Romulan space because everyone hated her.

Stop hating on TNG so much! Hate on Voyager if you have to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #369 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »

No, don't hate on Voyager. hate on Enterprise.

If you've ever seen an episode. Can't blame you.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #370 on: August 26, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »

No, don't hate on Voyager. hate on Enterprise.

If you've ever seen an episode. Can't blame you.

Enterprise was awesome, for the most part. But it did have the official worst last episode to any show.............ever.

Ok, the first 2 seasons were meh, but the 3rd and 4th seasons of Enterprise were amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #371 on: August 26, 2011, 09:48:32 AM »
I never said they blasted her into space because they hated her.  I said they hated her and then blasted her into space.   :lol

And aside from having mixed up the Romulans and the Cardassians,  I think my summary was pretty reasonable.  For that matter,  I seem to recall that it was actually a pretty good episode, by TNG standards.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: August 26, 2011, 09:51:08 AM »

Enterprise was awesome, for the most part. But it did have the official worst last episode to any show.............ever.

Ok, the first 2 seasons were meh, but the 3rd and 4th seasons of Enterprise were amazing.

I liked Enterprise too, although I thought Voyager was a lot better. Season 3 of Enterprise was great, and while I'd put S4 as the second best season, I don't think it was as amazing as some people do.

But let's not ever mention that last episode ever again. Ever.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »
Voyager and Enterprise both had their moments.  I probably preferred Voyager to TNG, but it also had extreme instances of cheesiness.  Enterprise just had a tone that I wasn't crazy about,  although it is cool that the entire show seemed to be built around finding excuses to to slather lotion all over the Vulcan chick.  I really wish it had been better, as there were concepts that I thought were fantastic.  The entire notion of the Xindi, being 6 races that evolved to sentience, was brilliant.  Shran was of course a wonderful character.  Some of the crew actually were pretty interesting.  They also did some silly stuff, though.  Too many times they tried to forcibly write in references to the future that didn't really work.  I seem to recall an early visit by the Borg, and also an attempt to tie in Khan and Noonian Soong.   
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: August 26, 2011, 10:01:41 AM »
Voyager and Enterprise both had their moments.  I probably preferred Voyager to TNG, but it also had extreme instances of cheesiness.  Enterprise just had a tone that I wasn't crazy about,  although it is cool that the entire show seemed to be built around finding excuses to to slather lotion all over the Vulcan chick.  I really wish it had been better, as there were concepts that I thought were fantastic.  The entire notion of the Xindi, being 6 races that evolved to sentience, was brilliant.  Shran was of course a wonderful character.  Some of the crew actually were pretty interesting.  They also did some silly stuff, though.  Too many times they tried to forcibly write in references to the future that didn't really work.  I seem to recall an early visit by the Borg, and also an attempt to tie in Khan and Noonian Soong.  

I agree on pretty much all of this. While I liked Enterprise, it was boxed in by canon, and they tried to shoehorn in references to other shows on technicality and semantics, such as the Romulans, the Borg, and other stuff. At its heart it tried to be in the formula of the original series, but it was much too sterile to recapture that. And the 4th season was a lot of fanwank, and I mean a lot of it. Virtually every episode was tying up loose ends from previous Trek.
But I'm not going to lie. I didn't mind the excuses to get people into the lotion chambe..... I mean, the de-con chamber. I always preferred the cute asian chick to the Vulcan though. Shame she was hardly in the last 2 seasons.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #375 on: August 26, 2011, 10:07:30 AM »

Which episode was this?

Some of the death or disappearance episodes were quite sad e.g. Ro Laren, Suder, the Mars mission flashback in Voyager, or the Voyager one where they meet an alien who was once a crew member killed several seasons before. Any others?

Online Adami

« Reply #376 on: August 26, 2011, 10:10:31 AM »
It was the episode where a Bajoran girl who had disappointed Picard a few years earlier was serving on the Enterprise. Then she was asked to go on a secret away mission to pose a Bajoran prisoner to a Cardassian traitor so that he might safely get back to Cardassia, but they were both killed in the mission.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #377 on: August 26, 2011, 10:12:47 AM »
Yeah,  I much preferred Hoshi, as well.  

One of the interesting things that ST has often done was to cast really hot chicks and then design them unattractively.  It's an interesting effect, in that a lot of the characters aren't particularly good looking (in my opinion, at least), but they have a real underlying hotness.  I couldn't stand 7/9, but Annika Hansen was stunning.  Similarly,  Jolene Blalock was really hot, but the Vulcan hair never worked for me.  

It was the episode where a Bajoran girl who had disappointed Picard a few years earlier was serving on the Enterprise. Then she was asked to go on a secret away mission to pose a Bajoran prisoner to a Cardassian traitor so that he might safely get back to Cardassia, but they were both killed in the mission.
They didn't launch her out in a photon tube? 
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
No, they didn't launch her out of a photon tube.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2011, 10:17:36 AM »
Yeah,  I much preferred Hoshi, as well. 

One of the interesting things that ST has often done was to cast really hot chicks and then design them unattractively.  It's an interesting effect, in that a lot of the characters aren't particularly good looking (in my opinion, at least), but they have a real underlying hotness.  I couldn't stand 7/9, but Annika Hansen was stunning.  Similarly,  Jolene Blalock was really hot, but the Vulcan hair never worked for me. 

I never much liked the Vulcan look. The costume was unflattering, and the pixie ears and haircut did nothing for me.

Although I thought 7/9 still looked hot. She looked much hotter with her hair out of course, but that catsuit kept me pretty happy.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #380 on: August 26, 2011, 10:21:18 AM »
No, they didn't launch her out of a photon tube.
Yeah, I found the episode. https://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Lower_Decks_%28episode%29

She was supposed to return in an escape pod, which they found destroyed.  That's what was thinking of. 
E.F. Benson

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #381 on: August 26, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »
I remember it now and the link to the earlier episode with Wesley crusher. Apparently she was rescued: https://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sito_Jaxa

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #382 on: August 27, 2011, 04:04:20 AM »
I don't think Enterprise was boxed in by canon at all, think about it for a moment. Instead of inventing a new race and completely fucking up already established timeline. They could have had the beginnings of the Romulan war or anything else that was going on at the time. I'm sure many of you like myself would have enjoyed seeing how it all want down.

That Borg episode pissed me off. The Borg and Q were thrown into episodes for unnecessary fan service. They ripped out the awesomeness that was the first encounter with TNG. Fuckers

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: August 27, 2011, 05:46:16 AM »
Although I thought 7/9 still looked hot. She looked much hotter with her hair out of course, but that catsuit kept me pretty happy.

Awwwww yeeeeeeah :eyebrows:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #384 on: August 27, 2011, 07:12:02 AM »
That Borg episode pissed me off. The Borg and Q were thrown into episodes for unnecessary fan service. They ripped out the awesomeness that was the first encounter with TNG. Fuckers

They had an episode with The Borg and Q?!?!  Holy fuck, I'm glad I didn't watch that show.  

I've seen every episode of TOS and TNG multiple times, each Voyager at least once, and I apparently gave up on DS9 too soon (someday I'll remedy that), but I tried Enterprise and couldn't hang with it.  Yeah, the Vulcan chick was hot, but come on.  I think I watched two episodes, and in both of them they found some excuse to get her clothes off.  Seriously, that's what it's come to?

I heard some Enterprise episodes were actually pretty good, which I believe, but that the final episode blew chunks, and really... Q and The Borg?