Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 389088 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Flying Colors: Morse + Morse + Portnoy + LaRue + McPherson project
« Reply #315 on: January 13, 2012, 03:14:51 PM »
I am completely speculating here, but I would guess Neal plays as big a role in that as Mike.  First off, he has gotten used to and very comfortable with that pattern over the years in doing his solo work and Transatlantic albums.  Second, I'm not sure what Neal does to supplement his income, but I know the projects we hear about don't make all that much, so I'm sure he does something.  What that means is, his time for making albums is somewhat limited.  Not sure if he rents out his studio (I'm guessing he does because it is fully equipped, and he recently did some big upgrades to it), but if he does, that also means his studio availability is limited, and the studio in that video was clearly his home studio.  So it seems likely to me that Neal is a big proponent of that approach, or at least a supporter.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »
Sometimes a band takes too long and kills what they once had for a song.

Guns n Roses - Chinese Democracy, I'm looking at you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #317 on: January 13, 2012, 03:22:13 PM »
What happened to letting songs settle, gestate, ferment and ripen? Is this a function of MP being in the band, or is this more and more becoming the norm?

rumborak

Well if that happened, every band would be Rush! :lol

I keed, I keed, but the near 2-year wait for Clockwork Angels has been tearing me apart in anticipation!

As for writing so damn quickly, I think one of the TA guys said it on a video or commentary somewhere - sure it's quick and it doesn't really allow much of the material to settle and be re-worked (if needed), but on the other side of the coin, it captures the raw intensity and spontaneity of musicians' craft and how that initial co-creative process gives birth to new music. It keeps things fresh and exciting in some ways, and allows us to see/hear what they're TRULY capable of in such short time.

I think if they had MORE time, (weeks, maybe months to a year), the material may have gone back-and-forth SO much because of the too-many-chefs thing going on, that the original feel of the songs would degrade through too many changes. Personally, I like the approach that Mike and Neal take with TA, and now FC. As for Neal's solo work, he does demo a lot of his stuff beforehand, but as the years have passed, both Mike and Randy have come to suggest things to Neal, and even jam out in the studio for new material (time permitting). I think these guys write well under the wire.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #318 on: January 13, 2012, 07:03:14 PM »
I haven't heard a note of this, but I was going to buy it as soon as it was announced.

Not sure if I'm pre-ordering overseas though.

I have to think that this project is the one aiming for the most "industry" buzz.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2012, 04:21:51 AM »
Can't wait to get this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
I loved the promo video and the album cover is awesome. I've never heard of the singer but I like his voice. I can't wait until this is released. It may be my album of the year.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »
listening now - yoohoo!

I love that song!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »
The overseas site isn't all that bad if you factor in the fact that they give free shipping. Getting 2 vinyl, 2 CD, a DVD, and a poster for $52. (I plan on pre-ordering SB X Live as well)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TL

« Reply #323 on: January 17, 2012, 10:58:32 AM »
I went to the link that was posted to price check for a possible pre-order, and their site is messing up for me, in a really weird way. It worked fine a few days ago, so I have no idea what's going on.

It will load fine, but then will add a 'reload' thing to the end of the URL, and go to a glitched, broken page. Like, it will fully load properly, but then reload itself and fuck up before I can do anything. Is anyone else having this problem?

Edit: Okay, I was able to get it semi-working, but then it automatically added 'The X-Tour Live' to the cart along with the Flying Colors album, and there's no option to remove it.

Edit: Now it's going back and forth on its own between having both and having just Flying Colors, while also switching back and forth between the CD and vinyl versions, and it keeps switching me to shipping rates for the Netherlands when I select Canada. I was really considering ordering this, but the site is such a piece of shit that I legitimately may not be able to. How does anyone fuck up a basic store page this badly? Oh, and now there's a button to remove 'The X-Tour Live', but it doesn't actually do anything.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:10:23 AM by TL »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #324 on: January 17, 2012, 11:21:42 AM »
Yeah, I was having problems with the site too. It would add 2 copies of the CD to my cart, without allowing me to remove the second. I would advise anyone who's even remotely concerned about their money to wait until it's on Amazon.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #325 on: January 17, 2012, 11:22:51 AM »
or...report the problem and wait until they fix it.  The site worked fine for me a week ago.

Offline TL

« Reply #326 on: January 26, 2012, 09:28:49 PM »
So after all my bitching, I was able to pre-order the album today. Can't wait to hear it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #327 on: January 26, 2012, 10:07:01 PM »
Pre-ordered on the day Mascot put them up - SUPER-EXCITED.
Announced two days ago on the band's website, a pre-order with the Ltd. Ed. CD, the free poster, AND A T-SHIRT - Not Cool.

If I can cancel my Mascot pre-order, I'm going to get the t-shirt package deal, especially since all 3 times cost $32, shipping and handling included.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2012, 10:08:30 PM »
The fuck? I would like to do the same thing, let me know how it works out.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »
The fuck? I would like to do the same thing, let me know how it works out.

I replied to the email I got confirming my order from Mascot as there doesn't seem to be any place I can check (let alone cancel) an order on their website. No response, and I emailed them 3 days ago. I may have to suck it up and live with TWO copies of this sure-to-be-fantastic album...just not sure if I want to spend what amounts to about $51 USD on 2 CDs, 2 posters, and a tshirt...although...it's still a deal when you think about it.

-Marc.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: January 27, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »
Let us know if the situation changes M, although lord knows the last thing I need is another band t-shirt  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #331 on: January 27, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »
Let us know if the situation changes M, although lord knows the last thing I need is another band t-shirt  :lol

True, but as far as I know, Mascot's original website charged me in Euros, so I'm assuming it's shipping from Europe, whereas the orders on the band's website are listed in USD for North American orders, so I would assume it would ship from somewhere in NA, which would mean it would get here quicker (assuming all orders are shipped around the same time world-wide).

I would *LOVE a band shirt for this band, as I love the album artwork.

-Marc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #332 on: January 27, 2012, 01:12:12 PM »
Same here but it's making,me translate as it sends me to Paypal netherlands, don't know why but,it sucks.

edit: Nevermind I got it now. Confusing as hell but still got it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:43:55 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #333 on: January 27, 2012, 11:57:14 PM »

True, but as far as I know, Mascot's original website charged me in Euros, so I'm assuming it's shipping from Europe, whereas the orders on the band's website are listed in USD for North American orders, so I would assume it would ship from somewhere in NA, which would mean it would get here quicker (assuming all orders are shipped around the same time world-wide).

I would *LOVE a band shirt for this band, as I love the album artwork.

-Marc.

I don't know if you'd be interested, but I'd take one of those limited edition CDs and poster (or not) off your hands should you want to sell it when you get it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: January 29, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »
From the post on facebook, it looks like we might get a song tomorrow

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #335 on: January 29, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »

Awesome.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #336 on: January 29, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »
Nice! Bwahaha... Just about the only disadvantage I've seen so far about not having Facebook are the updates from bands I follow. Literally the only disadvantage, actually.  :lol Good to have this place to keep me updated though. I'm excited for this given that the other projects I'm excited for are about the same genre and style of music; this being the only one that is different than the rest not being either completely experimental and prog/prog-metal or straight up metal. I've got high hopes for this project.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #337 on: January 30, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »

Really? The only post I found is this:

You've asked for more music, and we heard ya. Next week, more music!
Yesterday at 8:26am

One of these things is not like the others lol.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #338 on: January 30, 2012, 04:06:26 PM »
Ah, they're going to be releasing music? Does that mean they're going to be posting fewer pictures of colorful things? That's the only reason I'm their fan on Facebook, to be completely honest.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #339 on: January 30, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »
D'awww love that pic, they all look really good. Can't wait to hear some material, be it tomorrow or next week.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #340 on: February 01, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
Track listing:

01. Blue Ocean
02. Shoulda Coulda Woulda
03. Love Is What I'm Waiting For
04. The Storm
05. Kayla
06. Forever In A Daze
07. Everything Changes
08. Better Than Walking
09. All Falls Down
10. Fool In My Heart
11. Infinite Fire

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/mike_portnoys_flying_colors_debut_album_track_listing_revealed.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #341 on: February 01, 2012, 12:28:19 PM »
Track listing:

01. Blue Ocean
02. Shoulda Coulda Woulda
03. Love Is What I'm Waiting For
04. The Storm
05. Kayla
06. Forever In A Daze
07. Everything Changes
08. Better Than Walking
09. All Falls Down
10. Fool In My Heart
11. Infinite Fire

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/mike_portnoys_flying_colors_debut_album_track_listing_revealed.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://flyingcolorsmusic.com/

01 : Blue Ocean (7:05)
02 : Shoulda Coulda Woulda (4:32)
03 : Kayla (5:20)
04 : The Storm (4:53)
05 : Forever in a Daze (3:56)
06 : Love is What I’m Waiting For (3:36)
07 : Everything Changes (6:55)
08 : Better Than Walking Away (4:57)
09 : All Falls Down (3:22)
10 : Fool in My Heart (3:48)
11 : Infinite Fire (12:02)

Looks pretty sweet. Looks like the last track is the long-epic they (Mike and Neal) have eluded to, and the track lengths are pretty varied (from 3:22 to 7:05 inbetween).

Pretty sweet cover, pretty sweet track names...now I'm even MORE pumped for this.

Posted back on Jan 11th :lol

-Marc.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #342 on: February 01, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
I just saw this tweet:

ultimateguitar Ultimate Guitar
Mike Portnoy's Flying Colors: Debut Album Track Listing Revealed dlvr.it/185j8W
30 Jan

Wasn't going to bother going back more than a couple of pages to check.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #343 on: February 01, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »
I just saw this tweet:

ultimateguitar Ultimate Guitar
Mike Portnoy's Flying Colors: Debut Album Track Listing Revealed dlvr.it/185j8W
30 Jan

Wasn't going to bother going back more than a couple of pages to check.

Ah fair enough :tup At least people are becoming aware of the album and it's release! I hope plenty of fans in the prog and rock realms are down for this, making it one of the best albums of the year!

-Marc.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #344 on: February 01, 2012, 01:31:59 PM »
'Infinte Fire' sounds like another overtly-Christian closer like 'Dancing With Eternal Glory'.  I hate to say it but I think Neal's albums are just so predictable.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #345 on: February 01, 2012, 01:33:14 PM »
So?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline unklejman

« Reply #346 on: February 01, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »
'Infinte Fire' sounds like another overtly-Christian closer like 'Dancing With Eternal Glory'.  I hate to say it but I think Neal's albums are just so predictable.

Neal is a Christian.

But besides that, you can't make any kind of judgement from that. For all we know it is about a volcano.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #347 on: February 01, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
I mean conceptually it's fine as a stand-alone thing, but when you start lining up all of his albums and they all follow the same structure, it gets annoying.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #348 on: February 01, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »
But, they don't all follow the same structure. ???

And even if they did, I don't see why it would be so "annoying".

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #349 on: February 01, 2012, 02:01:02 PM »
But, they don't all follow the same structure. ???

And even if they did, I don't see why it would be so "annoying".