Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 385714 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Steve Morse + Neal Morse + Mike Portnoy + Dave LaRue Project
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »
potentially a new TA album.

Source? As far as I know there are no plans for such an album.

Well I think Roine said in an interview in recent weeks that he's been working on new material that may end up in one of three places - The Flower Kings (who have been on hiatus since 2007), a solo album (either a guitar-oriented album or something like 3rd World Electric), or with Transatlantic. He's expressed interesting in doing another album again.

And given that Mike's schedule is more free without any commitments to DT, he's spending the year (so far) with Neal, between Testimony 2, MMPLM, and YMC (and whatever tours may or may not happen regarding the first two). I think it's just speculation at this point, but I think Neal and Mike wouldn't mind doing another album - they seemed interested in doing another one again soon (IIRC, this was said on the interview on the Whirld Tour DVD). The only problem would be working around Pete's schedule and Marillion's, considering they're working on their next album.

Regarding Roine, though, he's currently working on Agents Of Mercy's third album, and will likely tour for it around/after it's release sometime in Spring/Summer, so if Transatlantic reunite for a 4th album, it probably won't happen til Fall or Winter later this year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2011, 01:14:12 AM »
potentially a new TA album.

Source? As far as I know there are no plans for such an album.

Well I think Roine said in an interview in recent weeks that he's been working on new material that may end up in one of three places - The Flower Kings (who have been on hiatus since 2007), a solo album (either a guitar-oriented album or something like 3rd World Electric), or with Transatlantic. He's expressed interesting in doing another album again.

And given that Mike's schedule is more free without any commitments to DT, he's spending the year (so far) with Neal, between Testimony 2, MMPLM, and YMC (and whatever tours may or may not happen regarding the first two). I think it's just speculation at this point, but I think Neal and Mike wouldn't mind doing another album - they seemed interested in doing another one again soon (IIRC, this was said on the interview on the Whirld Tour DVD). The only problem would be working around Pete's schedule and Marillion's, considering they're working on their next album.

Regarding Roine, though, he's currently working on Agents Of Mercy's third album, and will likely tour for it around/after it's release sometime in Spring/Summer, so if Transatlantic reunite for a 4th album, it probably won't happen til Fall or Winter later this year.

-Marc.
It's for the bolded reasons that I said something could "potentially" happen.  Not much in the way.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2011, 11:33:47 AM »
Just thinking out loud here - what if these guys do go on tour, and they do a normal 2-hour show, their album can't be more than 70-75 minutes, especially being 11 songs of varying length (I would guess between 4-12 minutes), so what would they do to fill another hour of music?

My best guess - Covers. Of course, there's the chance that they'd do a couple Dixie Dregs tunes, a couple Transatlantic tunes (anyone else hoping for "Mystery Train"?), maybe some stuff by Casey, and maybe some Beatles (if the other 3 guys are Beatles fans - although it may be unlikely since Neal and Mike are already doing YMC this year). I think these guys could easily fill a 2+ hour show and STILL play their whole album. I'm not familiar with Dixie Dregs, so I'm not sure what kind of songs these five could cover, but I'm sure it's possible.

I guess I'm looking WAY ahead, but it's just fun to imagine and hope.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »
I really don't think they're going to tour for this album. If they ever make another one I'd say it'd be more likely then, but I just don't see it being economically feasible to tour this album.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
I really don't think they're going to tour for this album. If they ever make another one I'd say it'd be more likely then, but I just don't see it being economically feasible to tour this album.

I don't mean a huge world-tour but something more along the lines of Transatlantic's first US tour in support of SMPT:e, with just a handful of dates around the US.

-Marc.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »

I don't mean a huge world-tour but something more along the lines of Transatlantic's first US tour in support of SMPT:e, with just a handful of dates around the US.

-Marc.

Even so, from what I've seen across a few sites, DTF is the only community really rallying behind this album. I'm not sure they have the support to do much more than a simple bar tour similar to what they're doing with YMC.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »
"tour" or just a few dates and festivals. 2012 though, depending on when the record comes out, seems more likely due to all the members schedules needing to allign.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2011, 08:41:40 PM »
https://twitpic.com/3pjagz

The faces of this MMPLM band...still without a name.

-Marc.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2011, 08:24:26 AM »
Rumby, you are the only person I know who disliked The Whirlwind.

Really? I thought there's quite a few people here who were disappointed by it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2011, 08:43:13 AM »
You can add me to the list of people who weren't really caught in the whirlwind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »
I'm not familiar with Dixie Dregs, so I'm not sure what kind of songs these five could cover
These five could cover anything they wanted to.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2011, 10:13:18 AM »

rumborak

Musically it's fine, but vocally, it's God awful. Just my opinion. Such uplifting music dragged down by such dreary vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2011, 12:02:33 PM »
I thought The Whirlwind was better than their previous albums, but I don't think its the greatest thing ever like some people.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2011, 12:39:44 PM »
I thought The Whirlwind was better than their previous albums

You mean better than ABAF and SMPTE?! Wot.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »
No way it's better than ABAF.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2011, 01:29:55 PM »
I found/find The Whirlwind long-winded and lacking in flow and maybe most importantly, the highly catchy and memorable moments that made Transatlantic's 1st 2 records amazing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2011, 01:30:26 PM »
SMPT:e - 9.0/10
BAF - 9.5/10
TW (main album) - 9.0/10
TW (w/ Bonus Disc) - 9.5/10

-Marc.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
I found/find The Whirlwind long-winded and lacking in flow and maybe most importantly, the highly catchy and memorable moments that made Transatlantic's 1st 2 records amazing.

:neverusethis:
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »
I thought The Whirlwind was better than their previous albums

You mean better than ABAF and SMPTE?! Wot.

rumborak

I also prefer it to both of those.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline j

« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2011, 04:20:16 PM »

rumborak

I wasn't disappointed by it, but definitely not blown away either (:neverusethis:).  Lyrically it was what I expected based on ALL of Morse's lyrics since he became a born-again Christian, and musically it was pretty drawn-out as I expected once it was revealed that it would be a single 77-minute song.

It had some great moments, but both of TA's other albums are way better.

-J

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2011, 04:35:35 PM »
Neal Morse audio interview is there
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152275

Is this the same one as the one I posted two days ago?

Phone interview with Neal about his life and background, and also some information about the new project!

https://www.bravewords.com/news/153812

-Marc.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »
I thought The Whirlwind was better than their previous albums, but I don't think its the greatest thing ever like some people.

This pretty much hits the nail right on the head.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2011, 11:59:34 PM »
Neal Morse audio interview is there
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152275

Is this the same one as the one I posted two days ago?

Phone interview with Neal about his life and background, and also some information about the new project!

https://www.bravewords.com/news/153812

-Marc.

ahh right, sorry. The b-mouth story doesn't really have anything new, save for the typical b-mouth's comments at the bottom.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2011, 05:20:46 AM »
Yet another update from Neal on his own message board:
Mike is recording his "keeper" drum parts here in the studio as I write. Everyone else had to leave for various reasons and now it's just the old team of Jerry, Mike and me.

Mike is going to the NAMM show in CA tomorrow and was going to go home after that but now is coming back to Nashvlle just to eat more of Cherie's cooking. Just kidding. He needs to finish some tracks on the MMPLM record and then do a few tracks for a bonus disc for Testimony 2. Can you say "hardest working man in show business"?

everything is sounding really fresh and cool and I think you'll dig it.

God bless you all,

Neal

Looks like we ARE getting some Bonus stuff on Testimony 2! Sweet! I wonder if Randy did his parts before or if he'll be coming back or if Neal will do all the non-Mike stuff himself (a la Testimony "1"). Looks like by the month's end, Mike will have completed parts for 2 whole new albums! And next month, Mike will have YMC to pound out! I've gotta wonder what Mike has planned for the next couple/few months ahead!

-Marc.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »

rumborak

Musically it's fine, but vocally, it's God awful. Just my opinion. Such uplifting music dragged down by such dreary vocals.

:lol  Dude, you need to get past this dreary vocals hang up of yours.  It's keeping you from enjoying a broader range of music.  There's more to life than 80's-metal style of vocal delivery a la Dio-Tate-Labrie-Mogg-JLT-Dickinson-etc. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2011, 08:05:17 AM »
Preach it, brother Ludwig.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2011, 08:33:07 AM »

:lol
I'm TRYING! Seriously!

I would love to be able to get into TA, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, etc...
Similar to harsh vocals I guess. I really need a vocal removing program..

I even busted out Whirlwind last week in yet ANOTHER attempt. Ikd probably enjoy a live DVD more than a CD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2011, 09:32:02 PM »

I'm TRYING! Seriously!

I even busted out Whirlwind last week in yet ANOTHER attempt. Ikd probably enjoy a live DVD more than a CD.

Well, that would be the wrong approach anyway.  If you feel that strongly about the vocals on TA, Porcupine Tree and Riverside that you'd want to employ a 'vocal removing program', then you should probably give up the good fight.   :sadpanda:
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2011, 09:37:35 PM »

I'm TRYING! Seriously!

Well, that would be the wrong approach anyway.  If you feel that strongly about the vocals on TA, Porcupine Tree and Riverside that you'd want to employ a 'vocal removing program', then you should probably give up the good fight by ending your life   :sadpanda:
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »
So what's the deal with this album? No new info for a long time. We don't even know the band name.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2011, 07:41:04 PM »
I'd speculate they are shopping for a record deal.

The other thing is that Mike is a little busy at the moment and maybe they have blocked out a fixed amount of time to market the project/band.

Beyond that, I've got nothing...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2011, 07:51:03 PM »
I'd speculate they are shopping for a record deal.

The other thing is that Mike is a little busy at the moment and maybe they have blocked out a fixed amount of time to market the project/band.

Beyond that, I've got nothing...

This is possible. Last I heard, the album itself was finished, but I hadn't heard anything about a label or release, but I would hope they get it released before the end of the year, especially now that Mike's other project/band's debut album is being pushed back to 2012 (Adrenaline Mob, for those who didn't know), so I would hope MMPLM get's a release this year, considering it was his first studio album to be recorded this year (not counting Testimony 2, since much of that was done in December of last year).

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »
From MPs Facebook

Mike Portnoy
In NYC all week w Michael Brauer mixing the MP, Steve Morse, Neal Morse, Dave LaRue & Casey MacPherson album...scheduled for a March release

Finally there's some news about this. I am really looking forward to see what these guys come up with.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #209 on: November 07, 2011, 09:23:07 AM »
Does MP have any prior mixing experience? I mean I know artists always give feedback, but I don't think he's ever been in studio and credited with it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1