Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411201 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (2 songs out)
« Reply #1575 on: July 17, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »
Yes. Yes you do.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1576 on: July 17, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »
I'm gonna buy this regardless but this new track is much more along the lines of what I like to listen to.  Awesome!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: July 17, 2013, 08:44:13 PM »
This new song is incredible, right up my alley and I can't stop listening to it.  This definitely should be a hit, like it or not.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1578 on: July 17, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »
Unfortunately it wont be.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1579 on: July 17, 2013, 11:35:37 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1580 on: July 18, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »
I'm digging this new song more than Agony. This is what I was expecting from the new JLB record, a simple-yet-catchy tune reminiscent of the Mullmuzzler 2/Elements of Persuassion days. As a keyboardist, I'm extremely influenced by Matt's use of electronic sounds in metal and I couldn't agree more that JLB hasn't sounded so modern ever. Not because of the synth-y elements, but the approach JLB took into signing the tune and how incredible it blends with Matt's harmonies. I don't think Mike Portnoy's or even John Petrucci's voice had such a nice cohesion with James LaBrie's voice, and it's incredible to see this happen now. Great job, Matt. I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Thank you! Very nice of you to say. As simple as the song may seem on the surface, it actually took more work than most of the tunes - especially when it came to the vocals. Glad you dig it! :)

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: July 18, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »
This song has been stuck in my head like no other song in a long time.  Nice work, Matt!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1582 on: July 18, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »
Quote from: James LaBrie via Twitter
@Piratecjs 42s
Thanks for digging Back On The Ground. Great feedback, and just to clear things up both Matt and I write all the lyrics. BOTG  are Matt's.

I wonder if he's "clearing that up" because the lyrics are a bit simplistic? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1583 on: July 18, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »
I would wager lots of money it has everything to do with LaBrie getting feedback either complimenting or talking about his lyrics, when the credit isn't his to take and he wants to get it to its proper place.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1584 on: July 18, 2013, 02:51:59 PM »
I don't see the problem with the lyrics. I really like them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1585 on: July 18, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
I know Youtube is Youtube but a lot of the comments were about the simple lyrics.

Offline drew512

« Reply #1586 on: July 18, 2013, 03:04:37 PM »
Pre-ordered the bundle from cmdistro - really looking forward to this one! :yarr  :metal

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1587 on: July 18, 2013, 03:11:32 PM »
I know Youtube is Youtube but a lot of the comments were about the simple lyrics.

No matter what, people will always find something to complain about. (e.g., screams, too melodic, too simple, too catchy...) The bottom line is this: You cannot please everybody. Once you try to do that, it's a very slippery slope. We make the music we want to make. Period.

And in this case, these lyrics (simple or not) are completely relevant to me - and have a deep personal meaning behind them. As far as I'm concerned, that's all that matters. :)

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1588 on: July 18, 2013, 03:13:46 PM »
For what it's worth, Matt, i love the lyrics. They get a big :tup from me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1589 on: July 18, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »
No matter what, people will always find something to complain about. (e.g., screams, too melodic, too simple, too catchy...) The bottom line is this: You cannot please everybody. Once you try to do that, it's a very slippery slope. We make the music we want to make. Period.
Yep, that is what real artist do. I really admire that, man, keep up with the good work.  :tup

Offline ronrule

« Reply #1590 on: July 18, 2013, 03:34:22 PM »
I really like BOTG! Kinda reminds me of Skillet -- a total "pop" song with brutal riffage as support. And those drums!!

Offline ronrule

« Reply #1591 on: July 18, 2013, 03:42:34 PM »
it actually took more work than most of the tunes - especially when it came to the vocals. Glad you dig it! :)

The work is very apparent as the lead vocals and background vocals sound amazing on this, especially the intertwining vocals on the later chorus.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1592 on: July 18, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »
I'm gonna be honest... I haven't listened to the new song yet.  I heard Agony, and I ran through the short snippets on Amazon once... now I am holding out till I can hear the entire thing.

Even though I know I won't be able to do so for the new DT album. lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1593 on: July 18, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »

And in this case, these lyrics (simple or not) are completely relevant to me - and have a deep personal meaning behind them. As far as I'm concerned, that's all that matters. :)

Cheers,
Matt

Ya. Youtube is Youtube... I don't have a problem with the lyrics in this case or indeed  in general - unless they're ultra facepalmingly bad. I'm not a lyricist by any stretch so lyrics have to be extraordinarily good or unbelievably bad for me to really notice them. Otherwise they mean nothing to me. . .

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1594 on: July 18, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt, is it possible to give some insight into the lyrics? I always love hearing insight from he author. Also great song!  :o

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1595 on: July 18, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »
Boy, am I happy to be writing for Lady Obscure now ;) I've listened to the whole thing twice already, and still can't wait for my imported vinyl version to get here in early August.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1596 on: July 18, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »

How it works is one person posts a comment.  Then other simpletons simply say the same thing to agree because it is easier to agree with a previous statement than make your own.

Not everything has to have seven layers...unless you are talking about seven layer dip, then it better damn well have seven layers.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1597 on: July 18, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »
YouTube commenters are some of the lowest forms of life I've encountered.

Of course, I'm a YouTube commenter, so.... :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: July 18, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »
Indeed. People just love to be cunts on Youtube.

My brother just spent months making a CGI video for the new Serj Tankian & Devin Townsend song for Revolution Harmony.

One comment : " Shit Song. Shit Message. Shit Video. "

Brilliant. Go buy yourself a copy of after effects and a £1,000 video camera and two iMac computers and a complete green screen kit and see how well you do.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1599 on: July 18, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »
Indeed. People just love to be cunts on Youtube.

My brother just spent months making a CGI video for the new Serj Tankian & Devin Townsend song for Revolution Harmony.

One comment : " Shit Song. Shit Message. Shit Video. "

Brilliant. Go buy yourself a copy of after effects and a £1,000 video camera and two iMac computers and a complete green screen kit and see how well you do.

Dude, your brother made that? I thought it was really cool.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: July 18, 2013, 07:05:21 PM »
Yeah he did the main vid and the lyric video.

He's done loads of videos for bands. A lot of Sacred Mother Tongue ones too.

https://www.facebook.com/darkfablemedia

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1601 on: July 18, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »
Well, tell him from me that it rocked. I was hoping for more Devin in the song itself, though. (not that your brother had any control over that, I imagine)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1602 on: July 18, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »
Well, tell him from me that it rocked. I was hoping for more Devin in the song itself, though. (not that your brother had any control over that, I imagine)

No. He didn't get to meet anyone either. He got sent the song and the shots of Serj already filmed.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1603 on: July 18, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »

How it works is one person posts a comment.  Then other simpletons simply say the same thing to agree because it is easier to agree with a previous statement than make your own.

Not everything has to have seven layers...unless you are talking about seven layer dip, then it better damn well have seven layers.
I agree.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1604 on: July 18, 2013, 11:24:08 PM »

Cheers,
Matt

Great post, Matt :tup

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #1605 on: July 19, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »
I like Agony, but I like this new song even more. Definately going to get this one as I really liked SI also. James sounds absolutely great on the Back on the ground. Only off putting thing about these new songs is the sound. The amount of compression takes the impact away from the choruses and makes it sound muddy overall. Even more so than on SI.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: July 19, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »

Cheers,
Matt

Great post, Matt :tup

This.....

Plus... My review will be up soon...

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1607 on: July 19, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »
Plus... My review will be up soon...

Had to steal this one, sorry :D

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: July 19, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1609 on: July 20, 2013, 12:53:14 AM »
Preorded! :metal

(thanks to panda :D )
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"