Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411252 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (with Cover Art)
« Reply #1120 on: June 19, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
Judging my Matt's comments, I'm really curious to know how involved JLB is with these albums. It sounds like the band write and record everything, and then just send James to add his vocals. Which is cool, not really what you expect for a "solo" record, but I guess if that kind of arrangement doesn't make anyone in the band feel devalued, then who cares?

The whole "solo" label is something we've been dealing with since EOP. It's quite understandable that there might be some confusion about it. Despite them being marketed as a James LaBrie "solo" records, the truth of the matter is that they're really not. This is just as much my record as it is James'. James has a "marquee" name and his history as being the frontman for DT is used to promote the music. That's not to say that James isn't part of the creative process. He definitely is. (He mainly contribute lyrics). Just want to clear that up. :)
Cool! Thanks for the candid answer. I always kinda assumed that, and from what I remember, James has recently always emphasized how it's really a band effort.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1121 on: June 19, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »
That 2nd song, Undertow, must be killer like any other Undertow (PoS, Tool, Chroma Key) :biggrin:
Why yes, songs named Undertow are usually good songs :lol

You missed one- Warrant's Undertow from Ultraphobic  :biggrin:

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #1122 on: June 19, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »
I liked the song but it had the formula of pretty much every country song. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, muted verse, kick it into full again chorus. So pretty boring on that front.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1123 on: June 19, 2013, 10:52:49 AM »
Judging my Matt's comments, I'm really curious to know how involved JLB is with these albums. It sounds like the band write and record everything, and then just send James to add his vocals. Which is cool, not really what you expect for a "solo" record, but I guess if that kind of arrangement doesn't make anyone in the band feel devalued, then who cares?

The whole "solo" label is something we've been dealing with since EOP. It's quite understandable that there might be some confusion about it. Despite them being marketed as a James LaBrie "solo" records, the truth of the matter is that they're really not. This is just as much my record as it is James'. James has a "marquee" name and his history as being the frontman for DT is used to promote the music. That's not to say that James isn't part of the creative process. He definitely is. (He mainly contribute lyrics). Just want to clear that up. :)
Cool! Thanks for the candid answer. I always kinda assumed that, and from what I remember, James has recently always emphasized how it's really a band effort.
I can remember inties dating back to EoP explaining that. It's a relatively weird situation but it's perfectly understandable.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline emtee

« Reply #1124 on: June 19, 2013, 10:57:49 AM »
Interesting. Mainly lyrics. Huh.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: June 19, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »
Well that was tasty, can't wait for the album!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1126 on: June 19, 2013, 11:16:39 AM »
Niiice. Again I can cope with the growls as with SI. The blast beats though??? I really don't like 'em (at all, not just here). Everything else is excellent and James sounds great.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #1127 on: June 19, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »
WAsn't a huge fan of the mix, or the drumming overall.  James sounded great though (when I could hear him)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1128 on: June 19, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »
I listened to it, but I'll have to give it more spins for a real opinion on it. I think it's just because of the MP3 compression but I had a hard time hearing JLB.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1129 on: June 19, 2013, 11:33:43 AM »
It's even better than I expected :metal

Really looking forward to the album now (even more than before).

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1130 on: June 19, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »
Well, not too crazy about Wildoer dominating the verses again, but musically it's pretty awesome. It'll take some time before I can decide whether I like it better than the songs on Static Impulse, but right now, I'm really digging the direction they're taking it.

Also, love the ending... "Yeeeeahhh..."
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1131 on: June 19, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »
Well, not too crazy about Wildoer dominating the verses again, but musically it's pretty awesome.
Likewise - I didn't dig how Static Impulse started with Wildoer vocals, and it looks like they've gone for the same thing again, but I think it works so much better here than it did last time round. I second the motion that this song blows SI out of the water, and SI was no slouch. It's like they've perfected it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1132 on: June 19, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Also, love the ending... "Yeeeeahhh..."

I wasn't expecting it so it made me :lol

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1133 on: June 19, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
This is quality stuff, it should (but won't) be more mainstream. God I hope they tour.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: June 19, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
Interesting. Mainly lyrics. Huh.
Kinda confirms what I always thought, honestly. I remember learning about JLB's solo work around the same time I saw Romavarium, where James shows off his toy keyboard with stickers on which keys he needed to hit, and thinking "that dude writes music?"  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1135 on: June 19, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »
This is fucking amazing.

The first thing I love is chorus vocal melody.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1136 on: June 19, 2013, 12:01:49 PM »
This is quality stuff, it should (but won't) be more mainstream. God I hope they tour.

I wouldn't mind traveling to see them.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline adace

« Reply #1137 on: June 19, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
Loving this song. Reminds me of Soilwork. :metal

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #1138 on: June 19, 2013, 12:31:06 PM »
This is fucking amazing.

This. I love hearing refreshing vocal melody lines. That creative ascension on the latter part of the chorus is pretty sweet!  :metal
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1139 on: June 19, 2013, 12:47:01 PM »
Does anyone else not like LaBrie's solo efforts? :/ I love LaBrie and his singing, but the music sounds no different whatsoever to any other generic power metal band to me.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1140 on: June 19, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »
Labrie is so lost in the mix, hoping it's the compression. Can't understand any words until the quiet part.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #1141 on: June 19, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »
Loving this song. Reminds me of Soilwork. :metal

Well that would make sense

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1142 on: June 19, 2013, 12:58:55 PM »
Does anyone else not like LaBrie's solo efforts? :/ I love LaBrie and his singing, but the music sounds no different whatsoever to any other generic power metal band to me.

I don't know if I'd call it power metal, but after the first two Mullmuzzler albums, there is a genericness to it. Especially EOP. Static Impulse was OK, but when I get a James Labrie album, I expect him to be going nuts vocally. You know, generic isn't the word I'd use. I'd probably go with safe.

Agony is a pretty good song. Easily as strong as anything on SI. Still the screamo/growly vocals add nothing to me. To my ears, it simply undercuts the song totally. Adding growls turns it into James answer to AMob.

Hopefully, as with SI, the screams are basically only on the couple songs they released before the album came out. I am looking forward to this album, as I do expect it to be better than SI, and Agony is definitely cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1143 on: June 19, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »
I think it rips! :metal

Even more excited for the album AND DT12 now.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline philmcson

« Reply #1144 on: June 19, 2013, 01:08:56 PM »
Yes the drums in the intro yes deeper growls in verses yes THAT CHORUS yes those solos HOLY FUCK MATT GREAT JOB ON THAT SOLO yes the breathy bridge eeeeeeeeeeeeeh

It's like Static Impulse but twice as good.

YES! FUCK JLB records without growls! Great job, Pete!  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1145 on: June 19, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »
You might wanna rephrase that.  ;)  ;D

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: June 19, 2013, 01:24:37 PM »
DAT "YEEEAH" AT THE END!!!!!!!  :metal :metal

Really good song, have to listen to it at least 20 times and then I can say my thoughts!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1147 on: June 19, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
You might wanna rephrase that.  ;)  ;D
Yeah, I mean, both of the Mullmuzzler records are hot, and EoP has its charms, but they are all underage :xbones

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1148 on: June 19, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »
But what the Mullmuzzler albums do that the others fail to do is showcase James' amazing vocal abilities.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: June 19, 2013, 01:41:26 PM »
I don't find anything particularly interesting in either Mullmuzzler albums. I loved EoP when it came out, but it fell off my radar quite a bit. SI took a little more time to appreciate and I don't listen to it as much as I should. And this is new song is making me want this release out now.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1150 on: June 19, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »
But what the Mullmuzzler albums do that the others fail to do is showcase James' amazing vocal abilities.

I would love to hear those songs live now. I bet they'd be way way better than the studio, as JLB really didn't sound as great at the time.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline krands85

« Reply #1151 on: June 19, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »
Sounds good  :metal Looking forward to hearing the full album.

I agree with others that have mentioned James seems to be mixed a little low though.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #1152 on: June 19, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
I haven't listened yet as I am at work but not really looking forward to more screaming. In regards to issues some have calling it a JLB solo album, Tony Bennett has released 5000 albums and didn't write one word or play one instrument on them, so there. I know, not a 100% accurate comparison, but JLB is the name and they want to sell records.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1153 on: June 19, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »
This is fucking amazing.

This. I love hearing refreshing vocal melody lines. That creative ascension on the latter part of the chorus is pretty sweet!  :metal

Thank you! :)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1154 on: June 19, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »
Matt, this song is awesome! Keep up the good work!  :metal