Author Topic: Porcupine Tree Lists-thread - Currently rocking you: mikemangioy  (Read 111582 times)

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
Re: Porcupine Tree Top50 (Version 2.0)
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2010, 06:21:51 PM »
I don't think you can have a definitive PT song, they've covered way too much ground over the years to really have one. Definitive maybe for their newest sound/era/whatever, but not for the band as a whole.

Yeah, maybe.

Perhaps definitive was a poor choice of words.
For me I think the only song (that I can think of, at the moment) that comes close is Arriving Somewhere. Yeah I know, I'm not stating anything new here but we are on the topic, so there.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2010, 07:27:37 PM »
I don't think you can have a definitive PT song, they've covered way too much ground over the years to really have one. Definitive maybe for their newest sound/era/whatever, but not for the band as a whole.

Yeah, maybe.

Perhaps definitive was a poor choice of words.
For me I think the only song (that I can think of, at the moment) that comes close is Arriving Somewhere. Yeah I know, I'm not stating anything new here but we are on the topic, so there.

This man speaks truth!

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2010, 09:29:16 PM »
It is awesome, but I certainly wouldn't call it the definitive PT song,

Which song then?

Linton Samuel Dawson  :neverusethis:

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »
Sometimes I do nothing but listen to Jupiter Island all day. That song fucking OWNS

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2010, 06:03:36 AM »
Time for an update, and we're now entering top20.

20. Waiting - (Signify)
Both phases included, together they form ~10 minutes of amazing & relaxing music.
The first single of the album, and one of the songs from the earlier-days that i'm pretty sure that all the newer PT-fans appreciates as well.
First part is a very catchy & poppy little piece, that features great lyrics, and some amazing harmony singing between SW and Chris on the chorus, then the song kinda explodes with an amazing guitar-part, one of the PT songs with the best guitar-solo imo.
The second part of it is more experimental, features a very cool bass-line and some interesting drums.
It's truly an experience listening to it, and one of the many highlights on 'Signify'.

19. Drown With Me - (In Absentia, European limited edition/Futile EP)
One of the poppier/more catchy PT-songs, that mixes amazing music with great lyrics and a catchy chorus.
The bass-line is simple but very effective, and the acoustic guitars plus the drums makes the song sound very interesting, which results in a song that just has to end up in the top20.
The harmony-singing between SW and JW when performing it live (like on We lost the Skyline) is amazing, and this song is def. amongst the best recorded during the In Absentia-period.

18. Anesthetize - (Fear of a Blank Planet)
I might place it a bit lower then others, but i did point out before starting this thread that it would have some 'controversial' moments. ;)
This song is the beast of the album, stretching up to whole 17 minutes of pure eargasm, this song offers a great mix between technical skills, amazing solo's and great melodies.
Part1 and the intro is very Radiohead-influenced, but it set's the tone for the rest of the song.
The whole piece is very dark, except for maybe the last part, which is my only 'problem' with the song.
I agree that it's a masterpiece, part1 and part2 especially, even though i don't dislike part3 (i still find it to be very good), i still think that part3 is the little 'flaw' of the album.
Still, this is a masterpiece, and one of the best "over 15 minutes"-songs ever made.

17. Deadwing - (Deadwing)
One of their best, if not THE best opening-track on a PT-album.
The keyboard-part with trains in the background, is just the start of a long musical-journey.
I remember in my early-PT days (being a new fan), this was one of the songs i just loved playing out loud from my speakers, and it's really a shame it isn't played more live.
The 'whispering'-part is pretty cool, and the instrumental-section before the end is spot on.
Finally, the song closes at 9.47, just below the 10-minute mark, but i still think this song should be considered an "epic".

16. I Drive The Hearse - (The Incident)
"And silence is another way
Of saying what I wanna say
And lying is another way
Of hoping it will go away
And you were always my mistake..."

This song is one of the absolute highlights of the song-cycle, and a perfect ending to a perfect masterpiece.
Lyric-wise it's one of my favorite PT-songs, it's sad and beautiful, and a gorgeous 6.44 minutes of music.
Another thing i really love about it, is the instrumental-part right before the chorus, "When im down, i drive the hearse..."
One of their best closing-songs. :)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2010, 06:13:31 AM »
Under normal circumstances, I Drive the Hearse at this spot would protect you.

But not now. [Sigz? We need a pic]

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2010, 06:37:09 AM »
Wow. Deadwing and Anesthetize out of the Top 15.

Wow.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2010, 07:19:42 AM »
Very nice choices.  I am especially fond of "I Drive the Hearse" beating those other four songs.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2010, 08:02:39 AM »
Looking at the 15 songs i have left on the list, there will be some surprises... ;)
People can say "omg that song on that place?" all they want, fact remains that PT has made pretty much only good (or better) songs, and if a song doesn't make it to the list, it doesn't make it bad. :)

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2010, 11:44:36 AM »
Looking at the 15 songs i have left on the list, there will be some surprises... ;)
People can say "omg that song on that place?" all they want, fact remains that PT has made pretty much only good (or better) songs, and if a song doesn't make it to the list, it doesn't make it bad. :)

If Arriving Somewhere is in the top 5 I will be a  :sadpanda:
caw caw

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »
I will never understand the love for I Drive the Hearse. It's a nice closer, that's about it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »
I think it's really pretty.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »
I Drive the Hearse is such a great song.
I will never understand the love for I Drive the Hearse. It's a nice closer, that's about it.

It's such a beautiful song with some of my favorite of PT's lyrics.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »
Nice.  Five great, great songs in the latest update!  :)

"I Drive the Hearse" is so incredible.  If I redid my PT top 50 today, that song might very well be top 10, or even top 5.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2010, 03:10:08 PM »
Great choices though I would have put Drown With Me higher (the live version on We Lost the Skyline is the song that really got me into PT so it has a special place for me  :D).

And I really like reading the descriptions of each song, makes me want to go back and listen to them all. :laugh:

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2010, 04:18:50 PM »
I had also been like that in the beginning, but it has really grown on me since. It's perfectly written, incredibly atmospheric, and has plenty of amazing moments (like the beautiful solo, and THE OUTRO!). And The Incident wouldn't be what it is without it. The album starts firmly with its feet on the ground, slowly detaches from reality throughout the album, and I Drive The Hearse is like a different world entirely. It's amazing.

...BUT STILL EVEN IT IS NOT BETTER THAN ANESTHETIZE DAMN IT.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »
I think the individual parts of The Incident are incredibly tough to compare to PT's regular 'songs'.

I Drive the Hearse is a very beautiful song on it's own. But on its own, it's also very short and not very spectacular.

What this song does to you when you've listened to the entire 55-minute piece however... That makes it one of the best moments in PT history. I loved seeing it live, after PT had played themselves through the entire song-cycle. It was such an emotional ending to one of the best concert experiences of my life.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2010, 06:18:41 PM »
Actually in my opinion I Drive the Hearse holds its own very well even as a separate song (contrary to most of The Incident parts, which are usually only good in combinations of two or three). But how is it very short? It's nearly 7 minutes, more than 1/3 of PT songs.

Agreed on the live statement. I still remember the ending... though also several other moments, especially the Time Flies solo.

Offline faemir

« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »
I know i've said this before, but I utterly cannot stand the strummed guitar part that goes through the song. Does anyone else know what I mean? Apart from that I love the song, but it really drags it down for me :(

The whispered/spoken parts are very fun on the 5.1 though!

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2010, 06:52:06 PM »
Do you mean the part at :40 or 1:05? Either way you're wrong.   :P

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »
What this song does to you when you've listened to the entire 55-minute piece however... That makes it one of the best moments in PT history. I loved seeing it live, after PT had played themselves through the entire song-cycle. It was such an emotional ending to one of the best concert experiences of my life.

I have to agree with this though, it was fantastic live. Still, on the studio it does absolutely nothing for me. Yes it's pretty and all, but nothing mindblowing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2010, 04:42:54 AM »
Update incoming...

15. Sleep Together - (Fear of a Blank Planet)
A highlight of the album, this closing-track focuses on building up a certain atmosphere, and then closing it all with a big climax.
And i consider it to be the perfect ending to a perfect album.
The song features some really dark keyboard-patterns, combined with heavy guitars and epic drums.
I think the way SW sing's this song really goes along well with the music, and the line "LETS SLEEP TOGETHER" is just delivered in a cool way, and the music-part that follows the chorus is another favorite part of the song.
I think many people here would've ranked it lower, but i really love it..
Guess i'm a sucker for build-up songs with climaxes.  :laugh:

14. Gravity Eyelids - (In Absentia)
One of the highlights of In Absentia, this song stands out amongst the other more 'straight-forward' songs.
I remember the first time i listened to IA (my first experience with PT overall), and i was practically singing along to all of the songs, even though i didn't know them.  :lol
But when this song came on, it immediately grabbed my focus because of the creepy keyboard-intro.
Looking back at it afterward, it feel's like it could've been on the second half of Lightbulb Sun, the experimental side.
As i said with Sleep Together, i am a sucker for climaxes, and this song literally EXPLODES after the guitar kicks in, resulting in a music-term called 'eargasm'.  :metal

13. Lightbulb Sun - (Lightbulb Sun)
Kev ranked it at nr1, i place it at nr13.
I agree that it's a great song, short, simple and catchy, and a good song to start with. (if you don't know the band)
The mix between the acoustic-part and the electric-part during the chorus is very interesting, and the guitar-solo in this song is just lovely.
One of my favorites.
This song just has everything you love about PT.

Soon in top10. :)

Offline jag66

« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2010, 06:12:05 AM »
Great choices for 14 and 13, although i'm not a huge fan of sleep together.

Offline faemir

« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »

Yup. I just don't like the feeling of it and I don't know why :(

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2010, 10:35:33 AM »

Yeah, but which one?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »
Sleep Together over Anesthetize??? Wait a minute...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2010, 11:55:09 AM »
Sleep Together is easily my least favorite track from FOABP. It's a good song, but it never really clicked with me.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »
I love Sleep Together. Might be my favorite track off FoaBP. The strings are just too evil for words. Freakin' hell. I love that stuff.

Anesthetize.. I used to be drooling all over it, and I'll probably be drooling over it again in a few months. I just don't think that highly of it now, and the last part is relaxing - but boring. Right now, I'm all for the punch-in-the-face 'Sleep Together' delivers.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
I'm not so sure why everyone is so crazy over Lightbulb Sun(song). It's probably not even one of my top two or three favorite on Lightbulb Sun.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:30:49 PM by glaurung »
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2010, 02:45:40 PM »
Great choices, but I probably wouldn't have put Sleep Together so high. It's a cool song but it's not that special in my opinion.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2010, 04:49:36 PM »
I'd easily put Gravity Eyelids in top 3, but it's great to see all three pretty high anyway.

Offline faemir

« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »

Yeah, but which one?

oh right!

0:40, 1:27, etc.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2010, 03:32:07 AM »
Update-time...

12. Sentimental - (Fear of a Blank Planet)
There's a lot of different opinions about this song from most fans, some people like Normal over it, and some people (myself included) love this song over Normal.
It's one of my favorite PT-ballads, i just love a well-crafted haunting-piano tune.
This song has just that, it starts off with the haunting piano that will follow you throughout the song, it also features some interesting drum-parts, and some good lyrics. (yes i think so  ;) )
Chorus is pretty catchy as well, and i really love the Trains-part at the end, when the guitars comes in.
Really adds something to the song.

11. The Start of Something Beautiful - (Deadwing)
Since Deadwing came out, this song has been played lots live, and for a reason.
It's one of the absolute highlights of the album, and one of the best songs written by PT in the 21st century.
The song starts off pretty chill with they keyboard setting the atmosphere, and then during the verse the song builds-up to the chorus, where the song explodes.
My favorite line of the song has to be: "You thought it was the start of something beautiful?, well think again."
Didn't use to care that much for this song, but after seeing it live i can only agree with the people that loves it, and feel like a complete tool for not seeing that earlier.  :D

Seeing as top10 is all that remains now, i'll stop here until next update. ;)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2010, 04:16:44 AM »
The Start of Something Beautiful is one of my favorites too.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2010, 07:25:34 AM »
TSOSB is Top 5 for me.

But it's nice to see it high on your list.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.