Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 147546 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #490 on: February 03, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »
Thank  you

I'm still confused on why 5 before 3 and 4 but whatevs. It's prog. :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #491 on: February 03, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »
Thank  you

I'm still confused on why 5 before 3 and 4 but whatevs. It's prog. :lol

When Neal was writing his last album Momentum early last year, he started writing a song with Randy that ended up having a "Thoughts"-like feel to it, and so he decided to use it on his album. After putting the album together, he remembered he had helped his brother in the fall/winter of 2011, Alan Morse (of Spock's Beard), to write a couple new songs for THEIR upcoming album - and there was a "Thoughts"-like song among those sessions.

So with THAT in mind, Neal decided he was going to call his song "Thoughts Part 4", but later changed it to "Part 5", just in case SB wanted to do one more "Thoughts" song in the coming years/albums... or if HE wanted to do it. And that's why Neal has "Thoughts Part 5" on HIS album, and we get "Part 3" in "Afterthoughts" on the upcoming SB album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #492 on: February 03, 2013, 06:29:35 PM »
Why not just call it part 3 and let SB use 4, 5 and so on?

It doesn't really matter in the end honestly. I'm all about hearing all the parts of songs like that... and was thrown off. So 1, 2, and 3 are SB and 5 is Neal...

Okay I'll stop over analyzing it. :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #493 on: February 07, 2013, 01:27:41 AM »
UK tour in May - tickets go on sale tomorrow (8 Feb)  :yarr
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline adameastment

« Reply #494 on: February 14, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »
Just got my tickets to see them at The Garage in London. Anyone else going?

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #495 on: February 15, 2013, 04:33:07 AM »
Yes - me!

Offline adameastment

« Reply #496 on: February 15, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
Yes - me!
Sweet! Have you preordered the new album? I just pledged the $53 dollars for the signed ltd ed CD and Tshirt :D pretty happy

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #497 on: February 18, 2013, 04:35:30 PM »
Someone explain Indiegogo to me so I can get the damn album already? Please? I pledge $15 for the cd, add a 5 to cover shipping and handling, and $20 total will cover it, yes?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #498 on: February 18, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »
Someone explain Indiegogo to me so I can get the damn album already? Please? I pledge $15 for the cd, add a 5 to cover shipping and handling, and $20 total will cover it, yes?

I'm pretty all the instructions are on there, and pretty clear. There have been several posts by Dave (Meros) about how it should work, and to double-check your purchase and self-add shipping to the total.

Also, I confirmed that the digital version will be sent to those who pre-ordered it on MARCH FIRST, via a download code, so if you ordered that version, you'll be able to get the album digitally on the release date.

With only ELEVEN days to go til then, they're hurrying things along and will soon be shipping (I hope!) to meet or beat the release date!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #499 on: February 18, 2013, 04:57:11 PM »
Alright, it didn't even ask me to log into my paypal, so I'm just going to assume it's paid for, and if it doesn't show up, so be it. No confirmation email or anything.

I'm only doing it this way for the exclusive bonus track. I really hate these kickstarter-type things.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #500 on: February 19, 2013, 01:18:31 AM »
There's a delay with the confirmation emails - I think they're sent out manually rather than automatically - mine took about a week to arrive!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #501 on: February 19, 2013, 09:17:48 AM »
I'm just waiting on it then, I guess. I got an email from indigogo telling me I encountered a technical problem trying to do it, yet when I clicked "pay with paypal" it immediately went to the "Thank you for contributing" page. And on Facebook, SB themselves thanked me for contributing, so I'm just going to assume it went through. I'm not going to risk donating another $20.  :lol Shit.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #502 on: February 20, 2013, 09:32:10 AM »
Did anyone here get the Tshirt option? When do you get the email for that? Cause I haven't yet. I know I'm in the UK and the USA is like 5, 6, 7 hours ahead and I have no idea what time zone SB are in, I'm just getting worried they'll send me a generic M shirt when I'm really not a medium*...

* - Not a psychic, I mean shirt size.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #503 on: February 20, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
I got an email for the shirt on January 2nd. The email was from spocksmerch@gmail.com.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #504 on: February 20, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »
I got an email for the shirt on January 2nd. The email was from spocksmerch@gmail.com.

Ditto - I got my email the same day from Glenn.

-Marc.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #505 on: February 21, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
Thanks guys, I emailed him anyway and he changed my details for me. I didn't know how quickly I'd get the shirt email, he didn't seem too bothered (although it's hard to see angry-ness through a computer screen).

Can't wait to give this album a listen :)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #506 on: February 24, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »
Just popping in to say The Light is awesome. Carry on.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #507 on: February 24, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »
Just popping in to say The Light is awesome. Carry on.

Their debut album is one of my favorite debuts of any 'recent' prog rock band. Them and Kansas had amazing debuts and early albums.

Also, "Go The Way You Go" is a great song as well.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #508 on: February 25, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
The band's website has been updated today, and includes a page for the new album, with LYRICS!

https://www.spocksbeard.com/discography/bnads.html

It also notes that Neal is not only credited for writing songs, but also plays on one as well! He plays additional guitar on "Waiting For Me", the albums 'epic' closer, and longest song at 12:36.

Less than 4 days away from this album! I CANNOT WAIT :metal It's gonna be a GREAT birthday!

-Marc.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #509 on: February 27, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »
Quote from: Spock's Beard Facebook
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
regarding the Indiegogo pre-order!!

If you have placed any type of pre-order for "Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep" through Indiegogo, please keep an eye on your email inbox beginning March 01. We will be sending an IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT to the email address that you placed your pre-order with, so please make sure you check that email address as-well-as your spam folder just in case.

We are working very hard to overcome a few production and logistics problems concerning the new CD that will delay shipping of the pre-order items. We have good news and bad news to give you regarding this situation:

• The BAD News ~ We can't give you an exact date when the pre-orders will be shipped because we're still waiting for the printer and CD manufacturer to get their acts together. But, we don't think the delay will be more than a week or two.

• The GOOD News ~ We said that we would do our best to ship on March 01, so we have arranged for everyone who have pre-ordered any item to receive a download code that will be sent to you on March 01 that will allow you to download a digital copy of the full CD complete with all bonus tracks and an e-booklet.

You can choose from various audio formats, including a couple MP3 qualities and FLAC lossless.

We sincerely apologize for the delay in shipping your CDs and t-shirts, and hope that this will keep you satisfied until your package arrives in the mail.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!!

Sincerely yours,
~Spock's Beard

I'm not upset over this at all since I'll be able to hear the mp3 download (and a week isn't that long of a wait), but this whole preorder/funding thing has been a huge mess with the shipping cost issues, not sending t-shirt emails, and now this.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #510 on: February 27, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »
Agreed. I still have no idea if my donation ever went through. I understand they're busy, but there has to be a faster way to get confirmation emails out.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #511 on: February 28, 2013, 05:30:57 AM »
So, is this album coming out tomorrow or...

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #512 on: February 28, 2013, 06:07:31 AM »
So, is this album coming out tomorrow or...

Yes (kind of). You'll get the email with the download code tomorrow. The physical CD will take a little longer to arrive.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #513 on: February 28, 2013, 07:25:07 AM »
I'm asking because I've been finding all kind of different information about the release date on the web, some sites say April, some say March with no specific date, some say March 1st. I won't be getting the album any times soon, though, but I'm looking forward to your reviews and stuff.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:16:20 AM by Mladen »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: March 01, 2013, 12:25:15 PM »
Well I just blew through my downloads with a javascript problem.  The code is only good to download a couple times and unsuccessful downloads still count toward the total.   :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #515 on: March 01, 2013, 12:32:53 PM »
Holy shit, I just got mine! :metal
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #516 on: March 01, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
:squee:

I cannot contain my excitement, this first listen is awesome.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #517 on: March 01, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »
Yeah, just downloaded mine, will listen in the car on the way home from work tonight

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #518 on: March 01, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »
No code for me, so I can only assume my money never went through. Frack you, Indiegogo.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #519 on: March 01, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »
Got my code, and my download. It's on my iPod and now I am listening. GREAT stuff so far, I'm on track 3! I LOVE it, and the songs are just so good so far! Cannot wait to get through the whole thing soon!

-Marc.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #520 on: March 01, 2013, 01:39:35 PM »
Currently on the last track of the regular album. Holy shit, this final track (Waiting for Me) is absolutely amazing. On to the bonus tracks after this.
This Friday night has become awesome with this news and new stuff :D
Squ

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: March 01, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »
Currently on the last track of the regular album. Holy shit, this final track (Waiting for Me) is absolutely amazing. On to the bonus tracks after this.
This Friday night has become awesome with this news and new stuff :D

Just started Waiting for Me.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #522 on: March 01, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »
First impression of the bonus tracks is that they're not nearly as good as the actual album tracks, but I suppose that's why they're bonus tracks. I'll give them another chance in the future, but my main focus will be on the album tracks for the coming weeks. :)
Squ

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #523 on: March 01, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »
Downloading now!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #524 on: March 01, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »
Just put the album on right now!