Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 705046 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #1505 on: June 09, 2015, 10:35:51 AM »
I hope they can re-establish a bit of a relationship on those couple of dates, and maybe strike a rapport that leads to another tour together.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1506 on: June 09, 2015, 01:11:34 PM »
Listening to QR's Promised Land today at work.  I have this album ranked as my all-time favorite album (DT's Awake is #2; Fates Warning's APSOG is #3), but it's been a while since I've listened to it start to finish.  Damn, this album is so well-crafted.  I love everything about it.  What an absolute gem.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1507 on: June 09, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »
https://queensrycheofficial.com/tour

You tell me. :P

It's interesting to see some of those posters with Dream Theater getting top billing over Queensryche.  The band with one gold record is now the bigger draw than the band with multi-platinum mega-hits.

Yeah, and aside from last year QR hasn't been as consistent touring Europe as DT has.

That and you add how one band was well-maintained for years while the other was nearly ruined due to over-touring says a lot. Oh well, it will be cool to see them both together!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1508 on: June 09, 2015, 02:13:46 PM »
Listening to QR's Promised Land today at work.  I have this album ranked as my all-time favorite album (DT's Awake is #2; Fates Warning's APSOG is #3), but it's been a while since I've listened to it start to finish.  Damn, this album is so well-crafted.  I love everything about it.  What an absolute gem.

It took a while to click but it's one of my favorites too.

The title track is one of the coolest songs the band has ever done

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1509 on: June 09, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »

I have the same top 3  ;)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1510 on: June 09, 2015, 02:40:50 PM »

Agreed.  I was kinda disappointed in the album when it first came out, but it really clicked for me when I saw them live on that tour.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1511 on: June 09, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »

For reals??  That's so funny and cool.  Dare I ask what your #4 is?  Mine is Redemption's Snowfall on Judgment Day.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1512 on: June 09, 2015, 02:55:20 PM »

Agreed.  I was kinda disappointed in the album when it first came out, but it really clicked for me when I saw them live on that tour.
The tour was great, and the songs translated much better live, but I still cannot get into the album. I still think it's terrible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1513 on: June 09, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »
We know.  You have said it many times.  Saying it again does not make it any less egregiously wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1514 on: June 09, 2015, 03:03:18 PM »
We know.  You have said it many times.  Saying it again does not make it any less egregiously wrong.
No seriously, the tour was awesome! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1515 on: June 09, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
No seriously, the tour was awesome! ;D

I know you don't like Promised Land, but I'm still more dumbfounded that you don't like Savatage. That band should be Tim 101.

The clips I've seen from the Promised Land tour are great

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1516 on: June 09, 2015, 04:40:40 PM »
I know you don't like Promised Land, but I'm still more dumbfounded that you don't like Savatage. That band should be Tim 101.
I'm strongly considering a Savatage Round when my Roulette gets underway.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1517 on: June 09, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »

The tour was great, and the songs translated much better live, but I still cannot get into the album. I still think it's terrible.

*Backhands*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1518 on: June 11, 2015, 05:10:44 PM »

For reals??  That's so funny and cool.  Dare I ask what your #4 is?  Mine is Redemption's Snowfall on Judgment Day.

Yes sir ;)

My #4 is Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #1519 on: June 11, 2015, 06:58:36 PM »
To be honest, it took me a while to "get" Promised Land.  When I first got into Queensryche (which was around the Q2K era), I was told by most of the QR fan establishment at the time that the band's good albums ended with Empire, so I did not immediately seek out the post-Empire albums for a while.  When I first heard PL, I certainly didn't think it was bad (unlike Hear in the Now Frontier and Q2K, both of which I still hate, although they have a few select tracks I like), but I did not like it anywhere near as much as the band's 1981-1991 works.  Technically, I suppose that is still true, as when it comes to rock music, I am first and foremost a progressive and melodic metal fan, and I would take any of those 81-91 albums over PL.  That being said, the record has grown on me considerably over the years, and some of the tracks on there have a special place in my heart, particularly Damaged, Bridge, Promised Land, My Global Mind and Someone Else.  It's the textbook definition of a "grower" album in my book.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1520 on: June 11, 2015, 07:14:45 PM »
I like Promised Land, but I can fully understand people not really warming to it.  It is hard to get into.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1521 on: June 12, 2015, 01:21:35 AM »
I agree with Dark M that it is the definition of a grower album.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1522 on: June 12, 2015, 10:13:02 AM »
I listened again to Promised Land last night, this time start to finish with no distractions at all in the quiet of my home.  Wow.  I'd say the only tracks that I don't head-over-heels love are "Lady Jane" and "My Global Mind," which I give an 8/10.  The other songs get an 11 on a scale of 1-10.

Tate's singing on the title track is just sick.  What emotion!  He is pouring it all out, man.  Unbelievable performance all around.   
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:04:57 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1523 on: June 12, 2015, 11:02:14 AM »
PL is definitely one of those albums that really captures the vibe of a band in it's present state. The band is coming off the massive success of Empire, and now they're all fairly rich and wealthy. At the same time they seem to be struggling with success and all that it brought. I thought it was brilliantly made, and you definitely can feel the emotion pouring out of a lot of the songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1524 on: June 12, 2015, 11:38:44 AM »
Looks like I have to give Promised Land a spin.

Thanks assholes! ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1525 on: June 12, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »
Please don't.  I don't particularly want to share it with you.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1526 on: June 12, 2015, 11:58:49 AM »
Looks like I have to give Promised Land a spin.

Thanks assholes! ;D

Lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1527 on: June 12, 2015, 12:29:07 PM »
I don't want to share it with TAC either ,but for his own good  :lol    I must admit that on a recent listen I upgraded my thoughts on it a bit (and have always loved One More Time) but it's still right at the bottom of my rankings for anything pre-HINTF and I hit Skip halfway through the title track......
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1528 on: June 12, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to give it a spin over the weekend. I will say that it's been a few years since I've heard it.
From what I Remember Now  ;D

I Am I is an absolute mess.
Damaged is freaking AWESOME!
Bridge blows..Lucidity II?
I totally respect the title track. I actually think it's pretty cool.
Out Of Mind is useless as a studio track, but was BRILLIANT live.
When I hear Someone Else, I am thinking of someone else..Kiske!!
One More Time. Not a bad tune. Still would be considered weak if it were on Empire.
Disconnected..junk!
My Global Mind..useless.
Lady Jane..Blows.

But I'll go through it just to be sure.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: June 12, 2015, 01:22:01 PM »
One More Time is my favourite track on PL.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: June 12, 2015, 01:28:07 PM »

First time someone has agreed with me on that - I think I will apply to be your apprentice  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1531 on: June 12, 2015, 01:31:22 PM »
Accepted :zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1532 on: June 12, 2015, 01:36:34 PM »
Man I love Bridge. 

Tim, you hurt me. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1533 on: June 12, 2015, 01:55:45 PM »
No issue there. It's a good tune amongst some junk.

Man I love Bridge. 
Lyrically, I think it's impressive. But Bridge was the first tune I heard from the album and it was an instant turn off.

One of my issues with Empire was that although it is a great album, I felt like they were moving in another direction that I was fearful of. And when I heard Bridge, I was horrified. Like What happened to Queensryche horrified! I think before the show, the only other track I had heard was I Am I, which as I said is a total mess.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1534 on: June 12, 2015, 02:06:01 PM »
After Chris left was when I was worried.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1535 on: June 12, 2015, 02:06:51 PM »
After Chris left was when I was worried.
Apparently he left right after the Empire tour!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1536 on: June 12, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »

I...just don't even understand this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1537 on: June 12, 2015, 02:33:16 PM »

I agree. Every time I hear it, I never understand it either.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1538 on: June 12, 2015, 02:48:54 PM »
To each his own.  I dug it.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #1539 on: June 12, 2015, 02:56:48 PM »

I agree. Every time I hear it, I never understand it either.

I don't think it's a mess, but it was one of the worst possible choices they would have made for a lead off single.  The vocal melodies are far too awkward and odd for a single.  Singles are supposed to have big, easily memorable sing-a-along vocal melodies.  I Am I, while a fine song, has none of that.