Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488990 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #2240 on: July 02, 2016, 06:17:26 AM »
Been playing a ton of Overwatch. Also picked up Cities: Skylines and Transistor on the steam sale, they're both great. I got Pathologic HD and Marvelous Miss Take as well, but haven't played them yet.

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2241 on: July 02, 2016, 06:33:13 AM »
I usually hop in and play a few rounds of overwatch every night. It's a great game to just hop in and play.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2242 on: July 02, 2016, 12:39:43 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2243 on: July 02, 2016, 06:18:16 PM »
I'm thinking about trying Dark Souls while it's on sale on Steam. Should I get DS1 or DS2? I don't really want to drop the 45 bucks for DS3 having not played them before.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2244 on: July 02, 2016, 06:30:58 PM »
everyone says DS1 is the best (and i have it and need to play it) so

i dunno though  :lol

i've spent basically all my free time since wednesday playing zero time dilemma, which is unsurprisingly good

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2245 on: July 02, 2016, 07:06:12 PM »
DS1 is better than DS2 but the PC version of DS2 is miles ahead well optimized than DS1 (which was a terrible port).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2246 on: July 03, 2016, 07:07:54 AM »
Yeah Dark Souls 2 is not great... and some of the problems with it aren't even just "That wasn't the best choice" it's "This is bad on a technical level". The lighting effects are wonky, the camera sucks, etc.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2247 on: July 03, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »
Personally, i liked both Dark Souls very much.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline j

« Reply #2248 on: July 03, 2016, 07:56:16 PM »
I'm thinking about trying Dark Souls while it's on sale on Steam. Should I get DS1 or DS2? I don't really want to drop the 45 bucks for DS3 having not played them before.

I'd play them in order.  Not because you really have to at all, the mechanics are similar in all of them.  But although 1 is considered the best, it has some flaws that I think will be a lot more noticeable if you play the others first.  There's an element of nostalgia in there as well for a lot of people I think, but honestly at least the first 2/3 of that game is one of the most well-designed and fantastic gaming experiences I've had.

Genowyn's opinion on Dark Souls 2 seems to be the prevailing one, but I tend to disagree.  It fixes some huge issues that 1 had and introduces a few new problems of its own, but it's also a really phenomenal game overall.  I can't see why some people say it's so clearly worse than its predecessor.

-J

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2249 on: July 03, 2016, 08:51:28 PM »
One big thing is the world design. Compare DS1 and 3 which are these huge interconnected, cohesive areas to DS2, where you climb up a tower and come out at the bottom of a volcano.

...my name is Araragi.

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2250 on: July 04, 2016, 03:30:57 AM »
I haven't spent a lot of time with DS2 yet, but one thing I noticed early on is that the enemies seems to lack variety - most are just armored dudes.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline j

« Reply #2251 on: July 04, 2016, 05:01:28 PM »
One big thing is the world design. Compare DS1 and 3 which are these huge interconnected, cohesive areas to DS2, where you climb up a tower and come out at the bottom of a volcano.

Yeah that was definitely kind of a WTF moment.  But I consider it a relatively minor gripe.

-J

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2252 on: July 04, 2016, 06:41:55 PM »
For me the world-building and lore are a huge selling point of the game so an oversight that egregious kills it for me.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: July 05, 2016, 11:16:30 AM »
Anyone excited for Inside? That's the new game from the developers that made Limbo. I'm currently replaying Limbo to get ready for it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2254 on: July 05, 2016, 08:46:09 PM »
I hadn't heard of it until you told me about it, but I definitely want to check it out. I'm not sure if my graphics card could handle it though according to the minimum requirements.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2255 on: July 05, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »

I'd recommend going with DS1 first. They're all great games, so you might as well start with the first. I do agree with some of the criticism mentioned here of DS2 but don't let that turn you off from playing it, I thought it was still a really solid game.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2256 on: July 06, 2016, 05:46:32 AM »
Been playing a ton of Overwatch.

Competitive mode (i know Ive talked about this already) is really addicting.  It seems the skill levels are well done as I'd guess about 60% of my games go to a sudden death because the teams are so evenly matched.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2257 on: July 06, 2016, 06:06:27 AM »
I hadn't heard of it until you told me about it, but I definitely want to check it out. I'm not sure if my graphics card could handle it though according to the minimum requirements.

I'm really excited about it. Every review I hear of the game everyone says "I don't know what the studio has been doing for 6 years but playing this game it makes sense." and "This game is one of the best games of the year so far."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2258 on: July 06, 2016, 06:09:18 AM »

I'm really excited about it. Every review I hear of the game everyone says "I don't know what the studio has been doing for 6 years but playing this game it makes sense." and "This game is one of the best games of the year so far."

I read a couple of reviews, and they all seemed to give it unanimous praise. Still not enough to make me pay full price for a game though. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline adace

« Reply #2259 on: July 07, 2016, 11:17:10 PM »
Just finished Tales from the Borderlands. Pretty enjoyable but not as good as TTG's other games such as Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us. The ending was especially meh.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2260 on: July 08, 2016, 01:20:22 AM »
Just bought Overwatch for PC. Downloading updates, so I probably won't get to play until tomorrow.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2261 on: July 08, 2016, 01:45:59 AM »
I've been replaying Witcher 3 lately...and I forgot how big this fucking game is! I'm just about to head to Skellige and damn...even though I did a TON of side quests and monster hunts, I feel like I'm leaving a lot behind me.

And I was planning on playing the DLC as well. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2262 on: July 08, 2016, 06:12:59 AM »
Just bought Overwatch for PC. Downloading updates, so I probably won't get to play until tomorrow.

PC or console?

I've been replaying Witcher 3 lately...and I forgot how big this fucking game is! I'm just about to head to Skellige and damn...even though I did a TON of side quests and monster hunts, I feel like I'm leaving a lot behind me.

And I was planning on playing the DLC as well. :lol

I'm 20+ hours in the Witcher and I feel like I've only scratched the surface.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2263 on: July 08, 2016, 06:45:28 AM »

Nice. Between my brother, his friend, and his friend friend's we've been able to get up to 5 people playing together.  So much fun.  Also using mumble for our chat server.  cramx3 on battlenet if you ever want to play.  I'm level 42 in this season's competitive mode.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2264 on: July 08, 2016, 11:44:18 PM »

Nice. Between my brother, his friend, and his friend friend's we've been able to get up to 5 people playing together.  So much fun.  Also using mumble for our chat server.  cramx3 on battlenet if you ever want to play.  I'm level 42 in this season's competitive mode.
No results found for cramx3. Shouldn't there be a # with some numbers behind it? Gozer#1432 is mine.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2265 on: July 08, 2016, 11:44:50 PM »

PC or console?
PC

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2266 on: July 09, 2016, 02:24:55 AM »
I tried Dead by daylight yesterday with some friends and it was fun and intense. However it's boring if you play alone and also if you're less than 3 people the killer is to OP so it may not be for everyone. I played with 3 survivors and one killer and that was a pretty good balance. Everytime someone was the killer he changed to another TS channel which made it even more scary for the survivors. :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2267 on: July 09, 2016, 08:48:48 AM »
I ended up going with Dark Souls 1. I haven't gotten far at all, because I got stuck forever at the Firelink shrine and was getting absolutely dominated by 2 skeletons right out of the gate. After several dozen attempts to try to kill them I finally googled around, at which point I learned I was going the wrong way  :lol

Just got to the Taurus Demon this morning, and the difficulty level seems much more reasonable now :lol

Offline j

« Reply #2268 on: July 09, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »
There's some pretty good treasure in that graveyard that you can get early by streaking to it though. :biggrin:

Of course to each his own, but I recommend trying not to look too much stuff up while you play.  Personally, playing it blind and getting destroyed sometimes but gradually figuring things out made every accomplishment exhilarating, and made it one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've had.

Granted, I played it right when it came out so there was virtually no info online about it, meaning I was kinda forced to play that way.  Not sure I'd be able to resist the temptation to look stuff up if I played it now; it does get super frustrating at times.

-J

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: July 10, 2016, 10:19:59 AM »

No results found for cramx3. Shouldn't there be a # with some numbers behind it? Gozer#1432 is mine.

Ah, #1907 forgot about that.  Either way, sent you a request.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2270 on: July 12, 2016, 02:01:21 PM »
New Overwatch Hero Ana https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQF6eczCtvo pretty much kills Zenyatta since the long distance healing was really his best ability IMO.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2271 on: July 12, 2016, 06:47:25 PM »
I just got Overwatch on PS4 and I'm having a blast with it so far. It's so damn addictive  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2272 on: July 12, 2016, 07:36:39 PM »
I just got done with a round of overwatch only because I wanted to fix myself a drink and the afk timer would have booted me.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2273 on: July 13, 2016, 01:52:46 AM »
Does anyone here play Monster Hunter? The new game, Monster Hunter Generations, is coming out this Friday. I'm a huge fan, it's probably my favourite game series of all time, but I'll have to be patient until the end of this month since I'm having exams next week and the week after, and I don't want to own that game during that time. It'll be too much distraction  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2274 on: July 13, 2016, 07:36:17 AM »
I just got done with a round of overwatch only because I wanted to fix myself a drink and the afk timer would have booted me.

I hate how short the afk timer is.  I get its good for the game though, but it's a pretty short leash.