Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 514542 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1785 on: September 28, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »
Yeah, after World Tourbulence. They wanted to take a break for awhile, can't remember if they said how long. However, they said that it wasn't financially smart. Rick Solomon convinced them to record a new album
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1786 on: September 28, 2010, 09:08:07 PM »
Yeah, after World Tourbulence. They wanted to take a break for awhile, can't remember if they said how long. However, they said that it wasn't financially smart. Rick Solomon convinced them to record a new album

Interesting. I guess the band didn't want to repeat that mistake again and risk seeing what a break would do to the band. Was the idea to take a break a unanimous decision back then, or was it brought up by one or two members?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1787 on: September 28, 2010, 09:28:46 PM »
Does anyone remember MP saying JLB has absolutely no input in writing the music?

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1788 on: September 28, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
I don't think he attended the writing sessions for BC&SL.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1789 on: September 29, 2010, 06:37:09 AM »
Can you imagine how Mike would feel if by some bizarre turn of events, the next DT album is huge and they start headlining stadiums? He'd be all like  :facepalm:.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1790 on: September 29, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »
That's my hope, in spite of all this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1791 on: September 29, 2010, 08:37:48 AM »
I would be extremely weary thinking about joining DT, only for Mike to realise he has made a terrible mistake (which is definitely the case) to then be allowed back into the band. Extremely weary.

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but "weary" doesn't mean what you probably think it means.

:lol  I'm guessing he means "wary" but I'm more concerned that he believes that Mike has definitely made a "terrible mistake".

Yes, wary. I was very tired before lol!

As for his terrible mistake, well, how can you deny that being a DT fan? He has left a very well respected band, in their later years, after 10 albums and 25 years........to join Avenged Sevenfold. Sure, we can debate whether that is the exact scenario all day long. But that's how it looks. And that's where he finds himself now. That's how the average DT fan will see it.

Even if I wasn't a DT fan, I would call that a mistake.

The problem with that line of thinking is that it presumes that playing with Avenged Sevenfold is somehow "worse" than playing with Dream Theater.  He's been with DT for 25 years and has 10 albums with them.  So what?  Avenged Sevenfold has five albums in 10 years.  Does this make them less worthy or something?

Suppose Mike was a founding member of a band that released 10 albums in 25 years that most people consider nothing more than generic crap rock, then he has a chance to play with a band that in less than 10 years has released five albums that have totally redefined rock music and picked up dozens of awards from critics and fans alike.  Would that definitely be a good move?

The only way you can say whether it's a good or bad move is to consider the relative merits of each band.  That might be in terms of popularity, record sales, how much money they make (all related but not the same thing) or anything else one might use to "rank" the bands.  A true artist does not consider any of that at all; he thinks about what kind of music he wants to make.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1792 on: September 29, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
Yes, all that is true, but I will keep saying this until we hear something different about Mike and A7X:  Comparing Mike in DT to Mike "in" A7X is premature because he is, at present, only a temporary member, and there is no real evidence at the moment that he "left DT for A7X."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1793 on: September 29, 2010, 08:46:18 AM »
BUT HIS CAR IS PARKED IN FRONT OF A7X'S HOUSE EVERY NIGHT ;_;

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1794 on: September 29, 2010, 08:50:43 AM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1795 on: September 29, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »
Man.....  Im speechless, but not shocked.  It was a helluva good run.  DT was the driving force in my life for 16 years.  It will be interesting to see what DT becomes... but I don't think it will ever be close to being the same....but I seriously hope that I'm wrong.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1796 on: September 29, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »
Man.....  Im speechless, but not shocked.  It was a helluva good run.  DT was the driving force in my life for 16 years.  It will be interesting to see what DT becomes... but I don't think it will ever be close to being the same....but I seriously hope that I'm wrong.

You serious?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1797 on: September 29, 2010, 10:42:30 AM »
I would be extremely weary thinking about joining DT, only for Mike to realise he has made a terrible mistake (which is definitely the case) to then be allowed back into the band. Extremely weary.

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but "weary" doesn't mean what you probably think it means.

:lol  I'm guessing he means "wary" but I'm more concerned that he believes that Mike has definitely made a "terrible mistake".

Yes, wary. I was very tired before lol!

As for his terrible mistake, well, how can you deny that being a DT fan? He has left a very well respected band, in their later years, after 10 albums and 25 years........to join Avenged Sevenfold. Sure, we can debate whether that is the exact scenario all day long. But that's how it looks. And that's where he finds himself now. That's how the average DT fan will see it.

Even if I wasn't a DT fan, I would call that a mistake.

The problem with that line of thinking is that it presumes that playing with Avenged Sevenfold is somehow "worse" than playing with Dream Theater.  He's been with DT for 25 years and has 10 albums with them.  So what?  Avenged Sevenfold has five albums in 10 years.  Does this make them less worthy or something?

Suppose Mike was a founding member of a band that released 10 albums in 25 years that most people consider nothing more than generic crap rock, then he has a chance to play with a band that in less than 10 years has released five albums that have totally redefined rock music and picked up dozens of awards from critics and fans alike.  Would that definitely be a good move?

The only way you can say whether it's a good or bad move is to consider the relative merits of each band.  That might be in terms of popularity, record sales, how much money they make (all related but not the same thing) or anything else one might use to "rank" the bands.  A true artist does not consider any of that at all; he thinks about what kind of music he wants to make.

You make a fair comment. It's not an easy subject to talk about. Especially considering we don't know the politics behind DT and MP's own personal tastes.

I just hope there isn't any bad blood when/if DT make an amazing 11th album without him. If this happens and all the fan reaction starts coming in, I wouldn't be suprised if Mike started coming out with some daft comments. He has made his decision and needs to move on. As do DT.

Like I said earlier, i'd be wary becoming the new drummer for DT. If Mike is allowed back in, say, 5 years time. That would be a horrible situation for the drummer to be put in. And depending on the music quality, I would lose a ton of respect for DT if they went down this road.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #1798 on: September 29, 2010, 12:03:27 PM »

You serious?

His statement is fair.  Many of us have concerns about the band being able to produce good material, do all the things that MP did for the band.  That being said, I am still excited about the future of DT, just with alot of caution.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #1799 on: September 29, 2010, 12:17:31 PM »
my hope is that when this thread hits 2112, MP will come back

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1800 on: September 29, 2010, 12:20:01 PM »

You serious?

His statement is fair.  Many of us have concerns about the band being able to produce good material, do all the things that MP did for the band.  That being said, I am still excited about the future of DT, just with alot of caution.
JP and JR were the main writers of the band anyway.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1801 on: September 29, 2010, 12:38:07 PM »
my hope is that when this thread hits 2112, MP will come back

What I thought of when I read this:
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.
:rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1802 on: September 29, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1803 on: September 29, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
God I missed that! :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1804 on: September 29, 2010, 12:53:32 PM »
So I hear mike is starting a new band with Jason Newstead, Kevin Moore and Marty Freedman called "yea? Well we don't need you anyway!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1805 on: September 29, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »
"I'm still trying to find out where this guy came from. Give it up for mr. Mike Portnoy"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1806 on: September 29, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Adami

« Reply #1807 on: September 29, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »
Oh Slippy, you heartless whore of a frog.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1808 on: September 29, 2010, 03:12:29 PM »

Only UP TO 9000? Damn...

-Marc.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1809 on: September 29, 2010, 03:43:47 PM »

You serious?

Well... that's how I'm feeling.  MP did all those lil extras that made DT so accesable, the DVD's...Bootlegs...setlists...etc.  DT is also has some huge shoes on the Kit to fill.  One of the best things DT had was their chemistry.  What will a new DT look like?  A band that puts out an album every 3-4 years... then a tour with a 1.5 hour show?  Or will someone pick up MP's "Drive"  and continue as they have been?

** on a side note.... I meant too say that DT has been the driving MUSICAL force in my life for the last 16 years...... :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1810 on: September 29, 2010, 03:47:05 PM »
So I hear mike is starting a new band with Jason Newstead, Kevin Moore and Marty Freedman called "yea? Well we don't need you anyway!"

I heard that too.  MP and KM are going to write all the music together, somehow, without actually speaking to each other.

Online Adami

« Reply #1811 on: September 29, 2010, 04:19:39 PM »

You serious?

Well... that's how I'm feeling.  MP did all those lil extras that made DT so accesable, the DVD's...Bootlegs...setlists...etc.  DT is also has some huge shoes on the Kit to fill.  One of the best things DT had was their chemistry.  What will a new DT look like?  A band that puts out an album every 3-4 years... then a tour with a 1.5 hour show?  Or will someone pick up MP's "Drive"  and continue as they have been?

** on a side note.... I meant too say that DT has been the driving MUSICAL force in my life for the last 16 years...... :lol

As John Petrucci has stated, they have had and will always have managers to actually do all of those things. Sure, Mike played a huge role in Ytse Jam records, but it's been stated that it won't stop. Also, the band wanted to record in jan, so much so that portnoy quit, why in gods name would that make you think they'll do less? Also why would they play shorter shows? If MP was in charge if all as you claim, then he is the one who decided against doing longer shows for the past few years.

Also, I'd have to say the chemistry was becoming boring and predictable. A huge change will hopefully be good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1812 on: September 29, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
I hope you're right about the chemistry.... you very well could be.  Maybe it's a case of other members being held back in a sense due too Mike's overwhelming drive.  Nothing against Mike...  But maybe the direction will freshen up a bit like you say.  Will the management due all the Bootlegs? Custom setlists?  All those things Mike did?  Again.... I sure hope so.  Seeing I just heard this news today, the question that pops into my mind foremost is.... who can fill MP's shoes on the kit???

Online Adami

« Reply #1813 on: September 29, 2010, 04:34:36 PM »
I hope you're right about the chemistry.... you very well could be.  Maybe it's a case of other members being held back in a sense due too Mike's overwhelming drive.  Nothing against Mike...  But maybe the direction will freshen up a bit like you say.  Will the management due all the Bootlegs? Custom setlists?  All those things Mike did?  Again.... I sure hope so.  Seeing I just heard this news today, the question that pops into my mind foremost is.... who can fill MP's shoes on the kit???

The setlists? The band can easily do that. It's not really as much work as some of you seem to think it is. You just need a database of previous tours, which is easy to find.

Also, as far as the bootlegs go....well, a nice break from them is good. We don't need a dvd of every tour, and I'm sure they'll continue on some level. And yes, that is what management is for.

As far as their chemistry goes, just being together that long and knowing the other people SO well, it can easily get stale. A new guy, would change all of that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1814 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04:49 PM »
Could someone please post a link to James' radio interview on Used Bin Radio from 9-28-10?  Thanks!!!

Offline TL

« Reply #1815 on: September 30, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »
Could someone please post a link to James' radio interview on Used Bin Radio from 9-28-10?  Thanks!!!
https://purerockradio.org/podcast/?p=1634
Just found it, so I have no idea how far in the actual interview is.

Edit: Okay, it starts about 13 minutes in.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:22:27 PM by TL »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1816 on: September 30, 2010, 07:58:58 PM »

JP and JR were the main writers of the band anyway.

Something many people tend to forget and glaze over. MP's loss won't impact the music as much as it'll impact the attention to detail.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1817 on: October 01, 2010, 01:55:36 AM »
Big thanks TL!!  Here is what I ascertained so far (its a LONG interview and I need to finish listening):

"already have several drummers lined up for auditions"
"auditions start in about two weeks"
OFF TOPIC:  US/Canada tour in support of Static Impulse the works Nov 26 - Dec (FIST PUMP!)

oh, and I think "Shit Fling Circus" should be the name of the 11th album. (jk)

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1818 on: October 01, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
I suggest we talk about JLB's interview in its thread: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=17037.0

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1819 on: October 02, 2010, 08:37:20 AM »
Jamming some System Of A Down tonight...great stuff...see, sometimes a hiatus does indeed make the heart grow fonder...just sayin... : )
about 2 hours ago via web