Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 509309 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« on: September 08, 2010, 06:24:23 PM »
A few things to remember-
1. There will be no bashing of Mike Portnoy
2. There will be no bashing of Dream Theater
3. There will be no bashing of certain other forums

===============================

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...
Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,
MP

--------------------------------------------
From James' website
DREAM THEATER
Press Release
To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with
profound sadness -- regret -- we announce that Mike
Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has
decided to leave Dream Theater. Mike's stature in
the band has meant the world to all of us
professionally, musically, and personally over the
years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major
force within this band.

While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other
ventures and challenges, we can assure you
that Dream Theater will continue to move forward
with the same intensity -- and in the same musical
tradition -- that you have all helped make so
successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.
Fans and friends: File this episode under "Black
Clouds and Silver Linings."As planned, we begin
recording our newest album in January 2011, and
we'll follow that with a full-on world tour. "The Spirit
Carries On."

All of us in Dream Theater wholeheartedly wish Mike
the best on his musical journey. We have had a long
and meaningful career together. It is our true hope
that he finds all he is looking for, and that he
achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be
missed.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:36:16 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 06:24:47 PM »
WHAT

THE

FUCK?!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 06:26:04 PM »
Best be a joke.....
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:26:55 PM »
WWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Why did it have to be when I was just getting to know this band in the last year? WHY!?!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:27:08 PM »
Dammit. I think many of us saw this coming, but it still feels completely unexpected.

Offline jezstyle

• Rafiki from Stradley Hall
  • Rafiki from Stradley Hall
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
WUT.

;_;

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:27:48 PM »
MAN, NO!

I'm feeling awful.....NO, DARN!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:28:30 PM »
I want this to be a joke, but I can't see him joking about this... crazy fucking news.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 06:29:05 PM »
I'm completely stunned, but I have to give it a few days to make sure this isn't a joke cause he lost a bet and I begin a mental breakdown.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »
Terrible news! The Portnoy output in Hail/A7X has been nothing on the DT output, and the Transatlantic releases have been great in a more jammy kinda way than live DT. I hope that he realises that in quitting DT he is probably causing the greatest prog metal band around to break up!
I really can't express how bad an idea this is. I hope he is very happy working with other peoples side projects/inferior bands
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline bmc

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »
OH MY FUCKING GOD. kill me now.
Quote from: SinisterMinisterX
Both "feel" longer than they are (in a good way).

Offline LTE

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 06:30:28 PM »
So fucking unexpected. I had just read in a recent interview Mike saying he would never leave DT "it's my baby", etc.
His reasons though... He wanted a break from DT, but still continued to play in so many other sideprojects and A7X???!?!?
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »
Holy crap, I feel like breaking up with my lifetime girlfriend or something to that extent....
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 06:30:50 PM »
Are you fucking shitting me?

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 06:31:09 PM »
If this is true, I'm going to cry my eyes out. I will leave out the hate until this is 100% confirmed.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »
HOLY SHIT

he'll be back. i know it. he will realize what he left down the road

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 06:32:09 PM »
 :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 06:32:20 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't either.

I feel bad for you guys if it's the latter.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 06:32:29 PM »
So fucking unexpected. I had just read in a recent interview Mike saying he would never leave DT "it's my baby", etc.
His reasons though... He wanted a break from DT, but still continued to play in so many other sideprojects and A7X???!?!?

Yeah...I kinda get the reasons thing...but hey!? No one forced him to be so restless in terms of DT...We all appreciated what he did for us, DT fans, but we even wished he could take a break...and his break is spent touring with other projects...? Hey, not cool...and I'm not bashing MP at all, I love him and I consider him a great drummer, but I sincerely can't digest these news right now...
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
The part that confuses me is that the band would go on without him... who the hell is going to play drums? Kevin Moore?

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 06:33:06 PM »
WHAT THE FUCKING SHIT?
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 06:33:10 PM »
If this is true, I'm going to cry my eyes out. I will leave out the hate until this is 100% confirmed.

MP Posted it on FB and Twitter.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
I don't know though, would MP abandon DT. I think it might be a joke to get the fans crazy, but if it is a joke, it's not that funny
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »
This really does not compute. Where is the origin of this?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 06:35:43 PM »
Why am I getting this unsteady feeling MP's becoming A7X's permanent drummer?
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
HE PROMISED ARIZONA A HEADLINER! Jerk! lol :(:(:(:(:(:(

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 06:36:37 PM »
I really believed that if JR/JlB left DT then they could carry on, but after so many years with 3 members constant then surely this is it for the band?
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
I really never thought I'd see the day... I can't believe how much this is affecting me, I barely even listen to them anymore!

WHY AM I SO SAD

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »
WTF?  :sadpanda: :'( this is terrible news

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »
This is EXACTLY what I was freaking out about when he started playing/recording with A7X.

This is a terrible day for the music industry.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
Holy fucking shit. I'm paralyzed in shock. Wow.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 06:38:05 PM »
Okay guys.

One thing to keep in consideration-

It appears, by Mike's post, that this statement means Dream Theater will continue to put things out (as Mike left because HE wanted to take a break).

So, we're still bound to get plenty of Dream Theater.

That, and, we're bound to get more Transatlantic (hopefully).

BUT this also means the end of the hardest working force in the band... the guy that brought us the custom setlists, official bootlegs, and probably all the other things that we'll never notice.... (along with RORO vocals).

So, trying to be optimistic here.... More DT output... More TA output... and no more RORO... There we go.

:-[

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »
I just don't understand....

Offline LTE

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »
Why am I getting this unsteady feeling MP's becoming A7X's permanent drummer?

It's like this horrible sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.