Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 259256 times)

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

Re: The "Apple Thread" iPad 2 + White iPhone In Stores Now
« Reply #1330 on: May 27, 2011, 01:21:24 AM »
So, I want to buy a new laptop. I've heard lots of people say Macbooks are really awesome. Now, I was wondering, what makes a Macbook so special that people pay 1200 euros for it when they can get an Asus laptop with essentially the same specifications for 600 euros?

wait wait wait. Did i write all of that for NOTHiNG! lol.

Yeah I read that, and it comes down to ease of use, security, stability and durability. But since I've used Windows 7, it's only crashed on me once over the course of 2 years and I've never had a virus/spyware. As for the durability, when looking at the statistics of laptop failure rates, Asus, Toshiba and Sony do better than Apple. And for me personally, Windows is easier to use because I've used it for years.

So, yeah, I guess it's mostly personal preference then.

well the mac laptops were tops again in consumer reports this year. So there's that.

I saw that, it's one of the reasons why I was wondering what makes Macbooks so great. But aside from personal preference, I still don't see how they're objectively better than a much cheaper Windows laptop.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #1331 on: May 27, 2011, 02:34:53 AM »
I prefer the OSX to Windows by miles (and I'd worked exclusively with Windows up until I got my macbook last September), it also comes with amazing software, and I know some people who have had their macbook last them for four or five years and counting, and it's still useable. I don't know anyone who is still intensively using a four-year old windows laptop daily.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1332 on: May 27, 2011, 03:05:00 AM »
The only reason most people get new windows laptops like that is because most people have no idea how to keep their computer clean. If you have even a basic knowledge of how to maintain a windows setup there's really no reason to get a mac besides personal preference or for some specific function.

Not to mention that even if you do buy a new laptop five years later you've still only spent as much as you would have for a macbook  :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1333 on: May 27, 2011, 05:38:26 AM »
Have windows laptop manufacturers figured out how to make trackpad scrolling not suck dick yet? It may sound stupid but I appreciate how fluid it is on the macbook trackpads because I don't use a mouse exclusively.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1334 on: May 27, 2011, 07:50:20 AM »
The MBP trackpad is awesome indeed. I completed portal with it.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1335 on: May 27, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Very painfully I would imagine.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1336 on: May 27, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »
Not at all.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1337 on: May 27, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »
My ipad2 made it to Arkansas this morning. Should be here any day! :biggrin:

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1338 on: May 27, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »
Arrival via tornado.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1339 on: May 27, 2011, 03:02:14 PM »
Have windows laptop manufacturers figured out how to make trackpad scrolling not suck dick yet? It may sound stupid but I appreciate how fluid it is on the macbook trackpads because I don't use a mouse exclusively.

I dunno, I've never had any problems with scrolling on mine. Haven't used a macbook much though so I can't really say how they compare.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #1340 on: May 27, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »
WINDOWS MAKES LAPTOPS NOW?? :splodetard:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1341 on: May 27, 2011, 05:15:18 PM »

I dunno, I've never had any problems with scrolling on mine. Haven't used a macbook much though so I can't really say how they compare.

That varies with manufacturer. I loved the way my HP used to scroll with the touch pad. My Toshiba was a piece of shit.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: May 27, 2011, 06:31:40 PM »
My satisfaction with trackpads scrolling depends on the driver I have installed on my laptop.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1343 on: May 28, 2011, 04:29:46 AM »

That varies with manufacturer. I loved the way my HP used to scroll with the touch pad. My Toshiba was a piece of shit.

And obviously personal preference, as I have a Toshiba and don't have a problem with it.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: May 28, 2011, 06:23:01 AM »
I don't know how big trackpads are on most other laptops, but a Macbook's trackpad is fucking huge. That's why I like it so much. There's never a danger of your finger running off of it while moving the cursor around. Unlike my Mom's Dell, which has a trackpad that's about 75% smaller.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: May 30, 2011, 11:50:23 AM »
Does anyone here knows of a good plug-in for iTunes that allows you to download the lyrics to all the songs in your music library (so it also works in your iPod/iPhone/iTouch too)? Preferably for Windows.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:18:40 PM by emindead »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1346 on: May 31, 2011, 09:08:06 AM »
ipad just arrived  :biggrin: updating itunes...

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1347 on: May 31, 2011, 09:17:24 AM »
Does anyone here knows of a good plug-in for iTunes that allows you to download the lyrics to all the songs in your music library (so it also works in your iPod/iPhone/iTouch too)? Preferably for Windows.

https://www.ipodsoft.com/site/pmwiki.php?n=IArt.HomePage

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1348 on: May 31, 2011, 09:17:40 AM »
ipad just arrived  :biggrin: updating itunes...

nice! enjoy.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1349 on: May 31, 2011, 09:22:24 AM »
Can someone explain to me why this iCloud thing is so great? I can see how it would be good for people with huge music collections that can't fit it in the storage space on their iphone, but for the vast majority of people it would be easier to just put their music on their iphone. You're not dependant on having an internet connection to access your music, and won't run into any streaming issues. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get the appeal. To me, the thing that would have made this great is if you could stream any music (whether you "own" it or not) for a monthly fee. Uploading music I own to a server and then getting the rights to stream it back makes no sense to me.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1350 on: May 31, 2011, 09:22:37 AM »
YES!

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/steve-jobs-to-introduce-icloud-ios-5-and-mac-os-x-lion-at-wwdc-keynote/

Apple today announced that Steve Jobs will indeed host the keynote for the company's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) next Monday in San Francisco. Aside from the expected focus on iOS 5 and Mac OS X Lion, Apple's announcement also confirms that Jobs will introduce the company's "iCloud" service.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs and a team of Apple executives will kick off the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address on Monday, June 6 at 10:00 a.m. At the keynote, Apple will unveil its next generation software - Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X; iOS 5, the next version of Apples advanced mobile operating system which powers the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch; and iCloud, Apple's upcoming cloud services offering.

Apple last month was reported to have purchased the iCloud.com domain name, with additional reports claiming that Apple has indeed been referring to its streaming service by that name. Apple has been said to be close to wrapping up negotiations with major music labels and publishers to allow users to stream their owned music from Apple's cloud-based servers to any of a number of Internet-connected devices.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1351 on: May 31, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »
Can someone explain to me why this iCloud thing is so great? I can see how it would be good for people with huge music collections that can't fit it in the storage space on their iphone, but for the vast majority of people it would be easier to just put their music on their iphone. You're not dependant on having an internet connection to access your music, and won't run into any streaming issues. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get the appeal. To me, the thing that would have made this great is if you could stream any music (whether you "own" it or not) for a monthly fee. Uploading music I own to a server and then getting the rights to stream it back makes no sense to me.

WEll it hasn't been announced yet so we really don't know what it is. We do know that Apple is the only company that has gotten the liscencing from the music companies so they will be able to do things with their cloud service that no one has right now which is a huge advantage. One of the things rumored to be true, which seems likely is the ability to NOT have to upload anything to the cloud. Basically it will scan your itunes library and match the songs you have with a music database and you'll be able to play it, no uploading necessary and you can have access to your entire library. If it's custom music that might not be in the database then you can upload it.

Having access to your entire music library everywhere you go with no uploading is very exciting i think.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: May 31, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »
I don't want to be in a position where I need Internet access to listen to music.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1353 on: May 31, 2011, 09:30:55 AM »
I don't want to be in a position where I need Internet access to listen to music.

Well then don't use it! I would welcome it, i have internet access at all times.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1354 on: May 31, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »
I still don't get it. So there's no uploading... it's still the same thing. I purchase music and then have the right to stream it from anywhere. I already have access to my entire music library everywhere I go. It's on my ipod. Sure, I have to sync it to my computer or download the music directly from itunes, but so what? It takes a few seconds. I just don't get why this would have widespread appeal apart from people with huge music collections or people who listen to music on several different computers or mobile devices on a regular basis.

Well then don't use it! I would welcome it, i have internet access at all times.
Explain to me why you'd rather stream it than just listen directly off your iphone.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1355 on: May 31, 2011, 09:36:48 AM »
I still don't get it. So there's no uploading... it's still the same thing. I purchase music and then have the right to stream it from anywhere. I already have access to my entire music library everywhere I go. It's on my ipod. Sure, I have to sync it to my computer or download the music directly from itunes, but so what? It takes a few seconds. I just don't get why this would have widespread appeal apart from people with huge music collections or people who listen to music on several different computers or mobile devices on a regular basis.

Explain to me why you're rather stream it than just listen directly off your iphone.

Ok my itunes library is 127 gigs. My iphone is 32 gigs. I use about 20 of it for music. I have my iPhone on me at All times. If i could have access to all of my 127 gigs at all times without having to worry about space or syncing or buying another mp3 player, etc.. that seems pretty cool. Every company is going to offer this service. Amazon and google do already it's just they don't have licensing with the companies so their services are very limited.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1356 on: May 31, 2011, 09:41:34 AM »
So you fall into the category of a person with a huge music collection. I understand why this would apply to you. I just don't get the widespread appeal. Maybe I underestimate the average person's music collection, but I would guess it would easily fit on a 32 GB phone. I would guess within several years phones will be able to have terrabytes of data on them for similar prices to today's phones and memory is getting cheaper all the time.

I don't know. Call me crazy, but I'd rather not have to stream my music. The quality wouldn't be as good and I'd be at the whims of my internet connection.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1357 on: May 31, 2011, 09:41:48 AM »
First post from m iPad. This thing is much easier to type on than I thought it would be. I can actually type really fast and easily on it. I'm shocked.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1358 on: May 31, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »
Missed a spot.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1359 on: May 31, 2011, 09:50:48 AM »
So you fall into the category of a person with a huge music collection. I understand why this would apply to you. I just don't get the widespread appeal. Maybe I underestimate the average person's music collection, but I would guess it would easily fit on a 32 GB phone. I would guess within several years phones will be able to have terrabytes of data on them for similar prices to today's phones and memory is getting cheaper all the time.

I don't know. Call me crazy, but I'd rather not have to stream my music. The quality wouldn't be as good and I'd be at the whims of my internet connection.

you don't HAVE to stream music. You can still put music on as normal.

Offline tjanuranus

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1361 on: May 31, 2011, 09:53:14 AM »

I know. Just curious if there was a huge benefit to it that I was missing. Doesn't sound like it.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1362 on: May 31, 2011, 09:56:01 AM »

I know. Just curious if there was a huge benefit to it that I was missing. Doesn't sound like it.

I guess we'll have to see what it really is next tuesday. No one has any real knowledge right now.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1363 on: May 31, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I guess we'll have to see what it really is next tuesday. No one has any real knowledge right now.
Yep. I really hope it's much bigger and better than people are predicting. Paying a monthly fee to be able to stream any song would be awesome. I've been waiting for that for a long time. Hopefully if the predictions are true, it's just a stepping stone for this.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: May 31, 2011, 10:01:10 AM »
Let me go into a bit more detail: I have a large music collection and I am against the idea of a cloud.

First of all, streaming media from online right now is not perfect. No matter how good your network is, there will always be hiccups (likely caused by buffering). Even if it's only for five seconds, it still means a disruption in the flow of my music.

Second, what if I'm in a building or going through a tunnel where I can't get service on my phone? That isn't all that uncommon. Guess that means I can't listen to music then, either.

And lastly, why would I want to pay for a subscription to access music? (I'm assuming that's how they'll do it.) Right now when I walk down the street listening to music or if I'm on my laptop, I do so for free. The last thing I need or want is another bill for something that previously wouldn't cost me anything.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.