Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 175687 times)

Offline ehra

Re: Avatar
« Reply #945 on: August 30, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
https://blastr.com/2010/08/james-cameron-piranha-3-d.php

I tend almost never to throw other films under the bus, but that is exactly an example of what we should not be doing in 3-D. Because it just cheapens the medium and reminds you of the bad 3-D horror films from the 70s and 80s, like Friday the 13th 3-D. When movies got to the bottom of the barrel of their creativity and at the last gasp of their financial lifespan, they did a 3-D version to get the last few drops of blood out of the turnip.

Considering some of the main criticisms aimed at Avatar, I find this delicious.

Also, I get the feeling that he missed the point of the movie.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #946 on: August 31, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »
Instead of bitching about Piranha 3-D, he should apologize for Piranha 2.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #947 on: September 04, 2010, 08:07:33 PM »
Did you guys hear about Chino's new tatoos?

Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #948 on: September 04, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »
Well at least (whoever that is) has accepted that he'll never get laid.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #949 on: September 04, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »
Well at least (whoever that is) has accepted that he'll never get laid.

except by smurfs
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline TL

« Reply #950 on: September 04, 2010, 09:37:18 PM »
https://blastr.com/2010/08/james-cameron-piranha-3-d.php

I tend almost never to throw other films under the bus, but that is exactly an example of what we should not be doing in 3-D. Because it just cheapens the medium and reminds you of the bad 3-D horror films from the 70s and 80s, like Friday the 13th 3-D. When movies got to the bottom of the barrel of their creativity and at the last gasp of their financial lifespan, they did a 3-D version to get the last few drops of blood out of the turnip.

Considering some of the main criticisms aimed at Avatar, I find this delicious.

Also, I get the feeling that he missed the point of the movie.
Cheapens... 3D...
lolwut?

Seriously, the guy really needs to get his head out of his ass. I mean, I know having the highest grossing film of all time (without adjusting for inflation) must go to your head, but seriously.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #953 on: September 20, 2010, 02:45:45 PM »

Wasn't the movie kind of against....capatalism in a sense? huh

no
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:51:35 PM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #954 on: October 06, 2010, 12:22:25 PM »
fap fap fap fap

https://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/06/trailer-avatar-extended-collector%E2%80%99s-edition-blu-ray-reveals-future-earth-opening/

Looks like Jake may be an alcoholic or something before being sent away.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #955 on: October 06, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »
I never saw the movie.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #956 on: October 06, 2010, 07:33:32 PM »
You did the right thing, Chris.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #957 on: October 07, 2010, 04:35:31 PM »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: October 07, 2010, 05:12:19 PM »
Because he thought it would just be a slideshow of everyone's avatar on DTF, so he didn't want to waste his money.

/reallyshittyjoke
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #959 on: October 07, 2010, 07:35:57 PM »

You can read the scene in the script.

EDIT: Apparently they still make Converses 150 years in the future. I'm torn between the absurdity of the notion and its irrefutable logic.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:43:03 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: October 07, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »
>3 hour extended edition

Because the movie really needed to be longer.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #961 on: October 07, 2010, 07:45:47 PM »
Maybe the interesting parts of the plot were cut for the theatrical version.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #962 on: October 07, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »

You can read the scene in the script.

EDIT: Apparently they still make Converses 150 years in the future. I'm torn between the absurdity of the notion and its irrefutable logic.

Converses? Where can I see a script?

Offline kala1928

« Reply #963 on: October 08, 2010, 05:34:17 AM »
This thread is so lol

Oh well maybe I should try to feel more empathy for people who manage to tap into their own imagination for the first time in their lives to actually get an emotional response from a movie or a book. Its just that it usually happens when you're around 12, not when you're, like oh, 20. Which makes me sad for some of the people here.
Sure its a cool fantasy trip but it doesn't really rock anyone's boat who has seen or read something similar ever before. I was really into some of the dragonlance novels and a lot of other really really average and downright poor fantasy novels when I was 12. And to the contrary of a lot of believes, there is a ton of very very original stuff out there so the argument that 'So what if Avatar is unoriginal, so is everything else !!!1' has some pretty big flaws.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:40:21 AM by kala1928 »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #964 on: October 08, 2010, 05:43:15 AM »
Oh well maybe I should try to feel more empathy for people who manage to tap into their own imagination for the first time in their lives to actually get an emotional response from a movie or a book. Its just that it usually happens when you're around 12, not when you're, like oh, 20. Which makes me sad for some of the people here.

lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #965 on: October 08, 2010, 06:11:38 AM »
This thread is so lol

Sure its a cool fantasy trip but it doesn't really rock anyone's boat who has seen or read something similar ever before. I was really into some of the dragonlance novels and a lot of other really really average and downright poor fantasy novels when I was 12. And to the contrary of a lot of believes, there is a ton of very very original stuff out there so the argument that 'So what if Avatar is unoriginal, so is everything else !!!1' has some pretty big flaws.

I can already tell I don't like you.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: October 08, 2010, 08:58:45 AM »
This thread is so lol

Man, I HATED Avatar and I felt this post to be completely unnecessary.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #967 on: October 08, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »
This thread is so lol

I loved Avatar and I have no problem getting an emotional responce from movies or books.

Offline ehra

« Reply #968 on: October 08, 2010, 08:15:18 PM »
This thread is so lol

This post is bad in more ways than one.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #969 on: October 08, 2010, 08:48:47 PM »
lolkala
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Vivace

« Reply #970 on: October 10, 2010, 09:04:04 AM »
Three things I feel should be mentioned about Avatar.

#1) Those who say it's complete trash should have their critic cards revoked. Avatar is not complete trash. To say the whole movie is complete trash is about as lame as it gets. Really? So the effects were trash? Wow. That's pretty bold.
#2) Yes, the movie is unoriginal, but it's still entertaining. I think that works for many movies out there
#3) As a James Cameron movie it was disappointing as we know he is better than this when it comes to the story.

In a nutshell, I loved every minute of this movie and had a great time. The story was subpar and the characters wooden and cliche. The effects were breathtaking.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #971 on: October 10, 2010, 09:06:42 AM »
Also the written dialogue itself was almost as bad as its delivery.  And that was bad.

That was really my main gripe, which is best seen in the scene where angry-bitch-scientist and smug-corporate-honcho are explaining the reason they're on Pandora: unobtanium (lol).  The other part that makes me wanna die is when angry-bitch-scientist is introduced, with her coming out of her pod and moaning that she doesn't have a cigarette.  If that's not the most pathetic and obvious introduction of a tired archetype I don't know what is.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: October 10, 2010, 09:08:42 AM »
Also the written dialogue itself was almost as bad as its delivery.  And that was bad.

I had a serious problem with that when I watched it again.  Especially since we're still using slang like "punk-ass" 200 years in the future, and some phrases just sound silly, like "limp dick scientists" (made even more lame/tired because its the super-macho army man that says this).

Offline kala1928

« Reply #973 on: October 11, 2010, 03:23:49 AM »
I have no problems with the movie. I have some problems with silly people who paint themselves blue and go apeshit over it :)

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: October 11, 2010, 08:43:32 AM »
I am more impressed by how long this thread has lasted than I was with the actual movie itself.

What was that rule we were told as kids? "If you don't have something nice to say than don't say anything at all"? Naw, that couldn't be it.

Offline ehra

« Reply #975 on: October 11, 2010, 08:45:02 AM »
What was that rule we were told as kids? "If you don't have something nice to say than don't say anything at all"? Naw, that couldn't be it.

That means you're going to stop posting in the facebook thread, right?  :P

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: October 11, 2010, 08:48:15 AM »
NO FUCK YOU GRAMMAR IS A BIG DEAL

:neverusethis:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #977 on: October 11, 2010, 03:45:17 PM »
I am more impressed by how long this thread has lasted than I was with the actual movie itself.

It is my job to keep it going.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #978 on: October 15, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
I have an actual Mitsubishi 3dtv, and I've been so tempted to pick that up  ;). 3d at home with the active shutter glasses is awesome!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: October 15, 2010, 08:38:21 AM »
I have an actual Mitsubishi 3dtv, and I've been so tempted to pick that up  ;). 3d at home with the active shutter glasses is awesome!
How does it feel being probably one of 3 people on our planet who owns one of those?