Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 177433 times)

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1260 on: May 09, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »
Well 3D itself isn't natural to watch on a screen. It fucks with our natural depth perception while watching what is essentially a 2D image. It's forcing you to screw up your eyes in order for the effect to work.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1261 on: May 09, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »
I'm okay with that.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1262 on: May 09, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »
Chino is willing to suffer for art.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1263 on: May 10, 2013, 01:21:54 AM »
3D television and cinema will most likely develop into something completely "natural". There has been far more radical changes in how movies are made. Just color image or that the actors started actuallt talking. Those changes were a lot "bigger" than the introduction of 3D and now that the technique is developed (even if it's not perfect yet) I think it won't be too many years before it's as common as high definition or something like that.

They just have to lose the glasses, that's the main problem for me with 3D right now. And I have seen 3D-without-glasses stuff and it looks awesome. So when they've perfected that technique and put it in a bit larger scale I'm willing to fully accept 3D.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1264 on: May 11, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
I'm watching the featurettes of the extended edition of Avatar and all I can say is 'WOW' Just wow. I'm amazed at the technology behind this movie. The extended cut is great too, I liked the addition of showing Earth and other added scenes. I think I like this movie more now than before.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1265 on: August 01, 2013, 05:43:05 PM »
Woooooo! Fuck yeah! Opposite of shitty! December 2016 is a little longer than I'd like, but it's all good!! I'm so happy to finally have confirmation. I'm really hoping the last one is a prequel!

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-james-cameron-avatar-sequels-20130801,0,6518554.story

“In writing the new films, I’ve come to realize that ‘Avatar’s’ world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated, and it became apparent that two films would not be enough to capture everything I wanted to put on screen,” Cameron said in a statement. “And to help me continue to expand this universe, I’m pleased to bring aboard Amanda, Rick, Shane and Josh -- all writers I’ve long admired -­- to join me in completing the films’ screenplays.”

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1266 on: August 01, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
While I enjoyed Avatar, (mostly for the colors) I must say I have very little interest in a sequel.

But, who knows. Maybe it'll be good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: August 01, 2013, 05:46:22 PM »
Cameron has said many times that the 4th one will be a prequel about how humans ended up on Pandora.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1268 on: August 01, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
Cameron has said many times that the 4th one will be a prequel about how humans ended up on Pandora.

He's talked about the possibility, but hasn't officially stated it.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1269 on: August 01, 2013, 05:56:21 PM »
“In writing the new films, I’ve come to realize that ‘Avatar’s’ world, story and characters have become even richer than I anticipated, and it became apparent that two films would not be enough to capture everything I wanted to put on screen,” Cameron said in a statement. “And to help me continue to expand this universe, I’m pleased to bring aboard Amanda, Rick, Shane and Josh -- all writers I’ve long admired -­- to join me in completing the films’ screenplays.”

Key word.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1270 on: August 01, 2013, 07:29:05 PM »
How many times has this been delayed again?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1271 on: August 01, 2013, 08:55:11 PM »
I still haven't seen this movie.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1272 on: August 01, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »
It's forcing you to screw up your eyes in order for the effect to work.
Just like pixels on a computer screen, which trick your eyes into seeing a continuous image.
December 2016 will be my freshman year of college, no way I could afford to see Avatar 2.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1273 on: August 02, 2013, 01:25:33 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about 3 sequels. I'm not even sure how I feel about any sequel at all. It feels like Avatar should be the only one, but I guess the others will be worth seeing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1274 on: August 02, 2013, 05:09:52 AM »
It's forcing you to screw up your eyes in order for the effect to work.
Just like pixels on a computer screen, which trick your eyes into seeing a continuous image.
December 2016 will be my freshman year of college, no way I could afford to see Avatar 2.

Yeah you can. Take it from me. Not that you want to, but you can.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1275 on: August 02, 2013, 06:25:56 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about 3 sequels. I'm not even sure how I feel about any sequel at all. It feels like Avatar should be the only one, but I guess the others will be worth seeing.

I really want sequels, and I want them to be insane. I have a feeling they won't be anywhere near as big as the first movie. I feel like a lot of people are going to opt out of seeing it just so they don't have to admit that the first one wasn't good only because it was "Pandora in Space".

I couldn't care less where the story goes. I just want to see every freaking inch of that moon and dive deep into its oceans. The only thing I'd really like to see happen in the story is a glimpse into the first ever encounter of the humans and the Na'vi. I'd be willing to bet my testicles that Jake knocks Neytiri up and we see a 1/4 human:3/4 na'vi being. That'd be pretty cool. A deleted scene that was suppose to be toward the end of the first film hinted at it, but I'm still not sure.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: August 02, 2013, 06:52:12 AM »
I reckon that the army will bring back Quaritch as a super-avatar using his DNA. . .

It would be cool to have Stephen Lang in it again.

It seems like Avatar is one of those things you're not supposed to admit to liking and it's just *accepted* that everyone hates it despite everyone going to see it many times.

Like it's just *accepted* that Load was a *shit* album and that U2 *suck* etc etc. . .

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:02:38 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1277 on: August 02, 2013, 07:07:08 AM »
I reckon that the army will bring back Quaritch as a super-avatar using his DNA. . .

I have an interesting theory on this. If the RDA can make a na'vi/human hybrid controlled by a human driver, they could easily make a human controlled by a human driver. I'm thinking that the Quaritch we saw in the first movie was actually an avatar being driven by him somewhere else. I'm thinking there are multiple RDA bases scattered throughout Pandora and he leads the security teams on all (or most) of them.

If you recall in the first movie, when he met Jake for the first time, he said "I was first recon myself, few years ahead of your. Well, maybe more than a few (and then does this little chuckle thing). Three tours in Nigeria, not a scratch." -- I think this is a little foreshadowing hinting at his return in the sequels. It almost makes it sound like he could be much older than he appears. Think about it. They put people into cryo and fly them at near speed of light for six years. What if the real Quaritch has just been cruising the cosmos at near speed of light while controlling his avatars. The time dilation on the ship would allow him to controller an avatar for decades with only a few months of aging on his body. At the very least it was just his avatar that Neytiri killed and not the real one.

Maybe I'm just over-thinking the hell out of it and a new one will just appear and be all like "hey, I'm a clone, memory and all". I'd be a little disappointed if that happened. 

It seems like Avatar is one of those things you're not supposed to admit to liking and it's just *accepted* that everyone hates it despite everyone going to see it many times.

You mean I'm not suppose to tell everyone that I saw it in theaters on ten different occasions, have purchased every release made available, and have a 6'x10' poster from a cinema in my room?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: August 02, 2013, 08:09:08 AM »
It's just one of those things that is trendy to bash.

If Avatar made like $350m worldwide - people would be more like - Did you see Avatar ? It was pretty cool !

But now it's the biggest movie of all time - that means you have to slate it and say lol it was pocahontas smurffs with wolveses in spacze !!!!!

You and I don't because we don't pretend to like/dislike something because everyone else appears to.

Vis a Vis Quaritch : that's a cool concept. It sounds like something JC would think up. He did write the first 2 Teeminators so it's not beyond him plus he's getting additional writing help this time around. So the scripts should be a bit better ( even though the first one was deliberately simple - JC said so before the film opened. )

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1279 on: August 02, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »
I hold to my original statement from just after watching it for the first time: "This is probably the best movie experience I've had at the theaters". So no bashing for the point of bashing here.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1280 on: August 02, 2013, 08:20:14 AM »
I hold to my original statement from just after watching it for the first time: "This is probably the best movie experience I've had at the theaters". So no bashing for the point of bashing here.

This is something that I think a lot of people forget. There are awesome movies that come out that I wait to watch at home from my couch. The movie will have the same effect on me whether I see it in theaters or on my 55". To me, the point of the movie theater is to deliver an experience that my home setup can't replicate. That's why I pay the ridiculous ticket prices. I never understood why movies like The Vow draw so many people to theaters. The theater experience does nothing for that movie other than put it on a huge screen. Avatar was unlike anything I ever witnessed in a movie theater. That's why I went an saw it so many times. It's rare that you get a movie that can be enhanced to that level just by seeing it in Imax.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: August 02, 2013, 08:32:30 AM »
 :tup Excellent.

Movies like Avatar & Prometheus and Inception and Star Trek Into Darkness are the main reason I even GO to the cinema.

I would never go to the cinema and pay £15 to see " Grown Ups 2 " because it will lose NOTHING on DVD.

Unless you have a giant home 3D TV and cinema sound system in your own home - then Avatar was MADE for the cinema.

It's as much about the *spectacle* as it is about the film itself.

I know some people would argue that " duh - they're just focusing on 3D and CGI instead of story " -

- but some films are awesome BECAUSE of the spectacle. Avatar was a prime example.

I don't go to the cinema to see Waiting for Godot. I go primarily for the experience and the spectacle.

I can't afford to go to the cinema every week to see whatever is out - so when I DO go - you better believe I want to be entertained.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1282 on: August 02, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »

Clearly you never saw Snakes On A Plane in theaters.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1283 on: August 02, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »

There were two very valid reasons to see Snakes On A Plane in theaters:
1.  The risk that by the time it came out on DVD, you'd lose interest and forget, and thus never see it. 
2.  The experience of being in a large-scale game of "chicken" with everyone else in the theater to see who would "wimp out" and be the first to be overwhelmed by the fear that there actually might be snakes the floor and actually look under your seat just to make sure.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #1284 on: August 02, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »

Like it's just *accepted* that Load was a *shit* album and that U2 *suck* etc etc. . .

It would be cool to have Stephen Lang in ANYTHING again.  I like him as an actor...and had no idea he was the same one who played "Ike" in "Tombstone" 

He looks younger now than he did 20-odd years ago!

I'll watch another "Avatar".  I just hope the story is a little more enduring.  I liked it a lot at the cinema and bought the bluray DVD asap.  But after watching it more than four or five times, it became a little boring for me.  And that made me sad.

Good story will trump effects for me any day.  The triteness started to wear on me.  :(
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1285 on: August 02, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »

There were two very valid reasons to see Snakes On A Plane in theaters:
1.  The risk that by the time it came out on DVD, you'd lose interest and forget, and thus never see it. 
2.  The experience of being in a large-scale game of "chicken" with everyone else in the theater to see who would "wimp out" and be the first to be overwhelmed by the fear that there actually might be snakes the floor and actually look under your seat just to make sure.

3. Many beers.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1286 on: August 02, 2013, 04:32:10 PM »
Fair point.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1287 on: August 02, 2013, 04:35:33 PM »
I couldn't care less where the story goes. I just want to see every freaking inch of that moon and dive deep into its oceans.

Just watch Blue Planet or something.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: August 02, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »
...the first one wasn't good only because it was "Pandora in Space".

Nice Freudian slip...though more like a Cameronian slip.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1289 on: August 03, 2013, 06:58:55 AM »
It's just one of those things that is trendy to bash.
This argument has always amazed me.  Like people would really like something, but claim not to like it to be cool.

Meanwhile, Sharknado.

I'm pretty sure that everyone that has criticisms of Avatar (or any other piece of pop culture) really means them
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: August 03, 2013, 07:43:58 AM »
No.

It's like when people say they hate oasis but if you dig a little deeper - they like the music but hate the singer.

But it's *cooler* to say you hate oasis so they just go with that.

If you mention Avatar in conversation - you'll most likely get a few " hurr hurr derpy derp Smurfahontas with wolves in space " chucked in.

I've known a few occasions where people have spoken out about how they enjoyed something but all their friends mock them for it so they

start going " actually it was a bit shit wasn't it ? " . . .

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1291 on: August 03, 2013, 08:00:21 AM »
That's still a pretty poor argument that, like hef said, does not make a whole lot of sense. From where I stand, it deserves the criticism because at the most it's no better than something like Transformers. All flashy visuals, no or very trite, uninspired story, one-dimensional characters, unimaginative world, really shallow dialogue. It's a popcorn flick, but like me and many others there should 've been something more. If your friends are going to outcast you for saying you liked a movie then I can't help you there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: August 03, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »
I just hate the kind of people that *inform* me that I didn't enjoy something when I did.

" Oh I went to see Avatar last night "

" Oh. Unlucky. "

" Actually, I loved it. "

" Err. Trust me, you didn't "

Oh do fuck off .

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1293 on: August 03, 2013, 08:04:37 AM »
Man, who are you hanging out with?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1294 on: August 03, 2013, 08:40:38 AM »
That's still a pretty poor argument that, like hef said, does not make a whole lot of sense. From where I stand, it deserves the criticism because at the most it's no better than something like Transformers. All flashy visuals, no or very trite, uninspired story, one-dimensional characters, unimaginative world, really shallow dialogue. It's a popcorn flick, but like me and many others there should 've been something more. If your friends are going to outcast you for saying you liked a movie then I can't help you there.

This escapes me.