Author Topic: The official Modern Warfare 2 thread.  (Read 106145 times)

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
Re: The official Modern Warfare 2 thread.
« Reply #420 on: November 15, 2009, 12:48:50 PM »
Lats & ZackyDou:

Gimmicky and cartoony? How so? It's  literally CoD4 with more weapons and customization. Are you referring to the titles and emblems?

For me, the console controls are just making it seem a lot more arcade-y, I guess.
But also the fact that every time you kill someone theres like 5 messages that pop up in bright yellow telling you all the points you've gotten, and a few other things, it feels less realistic.
Im still really enjoying it, though.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #421 on: November 15, 2009, 12:52:06 PM »
Oh a couple more points:

- spec ops is too easy. On hardened you can still kill them with a single shot to the shoulder or arm or leg etc, which is plain stupid.
- magazines STILL don't work properly. If you reload before using the clip, you should lose the bullets from that near-full clip imo.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #422 on: November 15, 2009, 12:56:22 PM »
Oh a couple more points:

- spec ops is too easy. On hardened you can still kill them with a single shot to the shoulder or arm or leg etc, which is plain stupid.
- magazines STILL don't work properly. If you reload before using the clip, you should lose the bullets from that near-full clip imo.
I take it you played the earlier Rainbow Six games?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #423 on: November 15, 2009, 12:57:58 PM »

Thats just not convenient. I'm one of those people who reloads after almost every kill, and I'd run out of amo after 3 kills.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #424 on: November 15, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »

Virtually every game is like that though (even though I agree with you).
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: November 15, 2009, 01:00:12 PM »

Rainbow Six: Lockdown is probably the only game I can think of that implements the feature he requests.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #426 on: November 15, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
Addressing the complaints about MW2's campaign length: Do you really think it should have been longer? An intense experience like that has no reason to be longer. Especially with the dumbass story I think it would have suffered from being any longer than it was.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #427 on: November 15, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »

Rainbow Six: Lockdown is probably the only game I can think of that implements the feature he requests.

The ultimate multiplayer FPS: the Battlefied series!
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #428 on: November 15, 2009, 01:04:34 PM »
Adding a realistic feature like that in a super arcadey game would just be lame.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #429 on: November 15, 2009, 01:06:29 PM »

No no, I mean almost every game has COD's type of ammo system.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: November 15, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »

No no, I mean almost every game has COD's type of ammo system.
Oh right. Please, carry on.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #431 on: November 15, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »

I think Socom 2 did as well.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #432 on: November 15, 2009, 01:20:08 PM »
Yeah, but you had a ton of ammo in that game so it didn't matter much.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #433 on: November 15, 2009, 01:29:32 PM »
Just sayin

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #434 on: November 15, 2009, 01:34:20 PM »
I think in that one they'd save those clips, 'cause i remember reloading and getting like 2 bullets before I had to again.

In other news, the M4 is my new favorite gun in mw2. MUCH better results than with the FAMAS.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: November 15, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »
I think in that one they'd save those clips, 'cause i remember reloading and getting like 2 bullets before I had to again.

In other news, the M4 is my new favorite gun in mw2. MUCH better results than with the FAMAS.
The Famas is this games M16. Unbalanced and good for easy kills in hardcore game modes. And I think the M16 is more balanced this time.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #436 on: November 15, 2009, 01:39:18 PM »
I'd like it if they added something like realism settings in future games (CoD6?). Ammo, health regeneration, endurance (perfectly steady aim after long sprinting?), sniping (sniping while jumping...), weapon limitation (CoD1 like/CoD2 and later-like/3 main weapons), friendly fire, friendly tags, weapon recoil etc... that would be pretty cool I guess, everyone would be able to set it like he wanted - total arcade or nearly hardcore realism to a certain level. I don't think it would be hard to implement the above settings, as it wouldn't change the game mechanics much.

Btw, my will is weakening and I almost feel like buying MW2. Damn you. :( (Don't have money for it yet, though)

And, as for guns - still any doubts that MP5 is the world's best SMG, or in MW2 everyone agrees on it? :P

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #437 on: November 15, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »

The Famas is this games M16. Unbalanced and good for easy kills in hardcore game modes. And I think the M16 is more balanced this time.

Really? I felt it was very weak.

Offline klonere

• GOTTAM
  • Cotton Candy Metropolis YUM
« Reply #438 on: November 15, 2009, 01:53:33 PM »
I'd like it if they added something like realism settings in future games (CoD6?). Ammo, health regeneration, endurance (perfectly steady aim after long sprinting?), sniping (sniping while jumping...), weapon limitation (CoD1 like/CoD2 and later-like/3 main weapons), friendly fire, friendly tags, weapon recoil etc... that would be pretty cool I guess, everyone would be able to set it like he wanted - total arcade or nearly hardcore realism to a certain level. I don't think it would be hard to implement the above settings, as it wouldn't change the game mechanics much.

Btw, my will is weakening and I almost feel like buying MW2. Damn you. :( (Don't have money for it yet, though)

And, as for guns - still any doubts that MP5 is the world's best SMG, or in MW2 everyone agrees on it? :P

It's not going to happen. Hardcore mode on MP is as far as they will go IMO. They have a formula and a captive audience, any serious change in game mechanics would upset the fanbase. Its an extremely polished and well presented arcadey shooter. (Wait I just described Halo).

Anyone think, while good, the single player story is kept on a fucking shoe-string? I mean its basically. cool shit is goin down, here have an M4.
Wow. His 16th post, and already being sig'd.

Offline faemir

« Reply #439 on: November 15, 2009, 02:38:01 PM »

Thats just not convenient. I'm one of those people who reloads after almost every kill, and I'd run out of amo after 3 kills.

Oh dear god, you have to learn to not reload after every kill? What do you want next, a railshooter with autoaim?

It's not turning it into some 'hardcore' experience. It just adds a nice bit of realism.

Addressing the complaints about MW2's campaign length: Do you really think it should have been longer? An intense experience like that has no reason to be longer. Especially with the dumbass story I think it would have suffered from being any longer than it was.

So redo the story. You can't defend it being short by saying that the story sucks :P It's inexcusably short no matter how you look at it, especially at the nice £45 price tag.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #440 on: November 15, 2009, 02:47:18 PM »

Really? I felt it was very weak.
This.

The M16, though, is as glorious as it was on CoD4.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #441 on: November 15, 2009, 02:49:06 PM »

Oh dear god, you have to learn to not reload after every kill? What do you want next, a railshooter with autoaim?

It's not turning it into some 'hardcore' experience. It just adds a nice bit of realism.

So redo the story. You can't defend it being short by saying that the story sucks :P It's inexcusably short no matter how you look at it, especially at the nice £45 price tag.

I disagree -- There's nothing inherently wrong with a short game, especially when it's bolstered by multiplayer and extra missions.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #442 on: November 15, 2009, 02:56:36 PM »
Demolition is fun as hell.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #443 on: November 15, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »

I disagree -- There's nothing inherently wrong with a short game, especially when it's bolstered by multiplayer and extra missions.
Exactly. Spec Ops and MP more than make up for the short single player.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline faemir

« Reply #444 on: November 15, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »

There is something inherently wrong when I don't feel that the length of it justifies the price tag. YES, the multiplayer is great, but that only shows up the singleplayer even more. Last week I picked up Dragon Age, and it has a 90 hour campaign. Yes it has no multiplayer, but it also can be played 6 different ways, amounting to nearly 600 hours. Of course, i'm not asking for this, but I would like something nearer to Half-Life 2's length. And as I said, apart from my price concern, it's not a strong enough single player to get 94%

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #445 on: November 15, 2009, 03:00:23 PM »

They should take lesson for the Blizzard school of video games. Make a pretty long and awesome campaign, AND have some of the most addicting multiplayer around.

Offline faemir

« Reply #446 on: November 15, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »

Exactly. Spec Ops and MP more than make up for the short single player.

That does not excuse the shoddy singleplayer though. Gears of War 2 has just a strong (imo) multiplayer, and has a much stronger single player campaign.

Stop dodging the issue by saying "b-b-but the multiplayer is really good so it doesn't matter!"

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #447 on: November 15, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »

There is something inherently wrong when I don't feel that the length of it justifies the price tag. YES, the multiplayer is great, but that only shows up the singleplayer even more. Last week I picked up Dragon Age, and it has a 90 hour campaign. Yes it has no multiplayer, but it also can be played 6 different ways, amounting to nearly 600 hours. Of course, i'm not asking for this, but I would like something nearer to Half-Life 2's length. And as I said, apart from my price concern, it's not a strong enough single player to get 94%

Diff'rent strokes, I guess. I would lose interest in a wacky military shooter that was more 6 or 7 hours. Of course an RPG is going to be super long, that's the nature of the genre.

Of course you have every right to think the price tag was unjustified, and maybe if there weren't the two extra modes I would agree with you. The fact that the two extra modes not only exist, but are fun and offer potential years of replay value, the length of the single-player is a non-issue for me when talking about "price justification".

Offline faemir

« Reply #448 on: November 15, 2009, 03:14:33 PM »

Diff'rent strokes, I guess. I would lose interest in a wacky military shooter that was more 6 or 7 hours. Of course an RPG is going to be super long, that's the nature of the genre.

Of course you have every right to think the price tag was unjustified, and maybe if there weren't the two extra modes I would agree with you. The fact that the two extra modes not only exist, but are fun and offer potential years of replay value, the length of the single-player is a non-issue for me when talking about "price justification".

Why would you lose interest after 6 or 7 hours? Do you try to play game campaigns in one sitting every time? Very few games have campaigns that short, you play them a bit at a time. Half-Life 2 is a 'wacky' shooter too, and it's far far longer (it has pretty cool multiplayer too, and if you bring the orange box into the equation well...yeah)

And I don't think that spec-ops is that replayable once you have three stars on everything, and we made serious headway into that after several hours. Some of them are just damn limited. The snowmobile ones are fun, but short. The patrol ones get tedious because there is no variation. Yes they should patrol the same each time during one session, but it would be nice if when you try the mission next time they swap around the numbers a bit or something, else starts getting boring and frustrating when one guard manages to alert the horde and then you die horribly and have to the do exact same thing again just to get back to try that section again.

Okay, so even if I do decide that it's worth £45 on the fun multiplayer, that doesn't stop me from being disappointed in it, because as far as multiplayer goes, well CoD4 and 5 had multiplayer that is almost identical and still has plenty of players on. So why do I fork over £45 for more of the same fun? I don't know, I just find that when the campaign they said they couldn't add co-op in because it would ruin the "cinematic experience" (terrorists attack, so we go and kill them. revolutionary.) which turns out to be... well, lame, a disappointing factor in regards to what I think of the game.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #449 on: November 15, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »
Why would you lose interest after 6 or 7 hours? Do you try to play game campaigns in one sitting every time? Very few games have campaigns that short, you play them a bit at a time. Half-Life 2 is a 'wacky' shooter too, and it's far far longer (it has pretty cool multiplayer too, and if you bring the orange box into the equation well...yeah)

And I don't think that spec-ops is that replayable once you have three stars on everything, and we made serious headway into that after several hours. Some of them are just damn limited. The snowmobile ones are fun, but short. The patrol ones get tedious because there is no variation. Yes they should patrol the same each time during one session, but it would be nice if when you try the mission next time they swap around the numbers a bit or something, else starts getting boring and frustrating when one guard manages to alert the horde and then you die horribly and have to the do exact same thing again just to get back to try that section again.

Okay, so even if I do decide that it's worth £45 on the fun multiplayer, that doesn't stop me from being disappointed in it, because as far as multiplayer goes, well CoD4 and 5 had multiplayer that is almost identical and still has plenty of players on. So why do I fork over £45 for more of the same fun? I don't know, I just find that when the campaign they said they couldn't add co-op in because it would ruin the "cinematic experience" (terrorists attack, so we go and kill them. revolutionary.) which turns out to be... well, lame, a disappointing factor in regards to what I think of the game.

The MW2 campaign is the video game equivalent of a Bay/Emmerich movie. I don't know how much of that I'd be able to take before turning off, 'cause by the time MW2 ended it had already started wearing on me. HL2 was a different beast entirely. The single-player was the focus of that game, and you could tell. For MW2, it's clear that campaign wasn't as important to Infinity Ward as the multi-player. Could the story have made sense? Yes. Could it have been longer? I suppose so. Could they have included co-op without ruining the "cinematic experience"? Hell yes, and that was a cop-out answer. But at the end of the day, a large number of people who bought the game will probably never even touch the campaign so was there much incentive for Infinity Ward to craft a superb campaign? Not really.

I had something else to say, but I forgot exactly what we are debating. :lol

Offline faemir

« Reply #450 on: November 15, 2009, 03:43:49 PM »

The MW2 campaign is the video game equivalent of a Bay/Emmerich movie. I don't know how much of that I'd be able to take before turning off, 'cause by the time MW2 ended it had already started wearing on me. HL2 was a different beast entirely. The single-player was the focus of that game, and you could tell. For MW2, it's clear that campaign wasn't as important to Infinity Ward as the multi-player. Could the story have made sense? Yes. Could it have been longer? I suppose so. Could they have included co-op without ruining the "cinematic experience"? Hell yes, and that was a cop-out answer. But at the end of the day, a large number of people who bought the game will probably never even touch the campaign so was there much incentive for Infinity Ward to craft a superb campaign? Not really.

My problem is yes, evidently multiplayer WAS the main focus. But how much have they actually added apart from some new guns and maps? You could nearly call it an expansion pack or DLC at a stretch. With the time they had they could have done a compelling improvement over the previous game, like CoD3 to CoD4.

And I don't think saying that because people want to play MP more than SP that means you can skip making the SP campaign superb, you don't go for the minimum required in games, you go for the reasonable maximum, especially with people like Infinity Ward.

All of this just brings back my annoyance at how it's average rating is 9.4.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #451 on: November 15, 2009, 03:50:15 PM »
The developer of CoD3 are not the same from CoD4, so that may have something to do with the vast improvement.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #452 on: November 15, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »

My problem is yes, evidently multiplayer WAS the main focus. But how much have they actually added apart from some new guns and maps? You could nearly call it an expansion pack or DLC at a stretch. With the time they had they could have done a compelling improvement over the previous game, like CoD3 to CoD4.

And I don't think saying that because people want to play MP more than SP that means you can skip making the SP campaign superb, you don't go for the minimum required in games, you go for the reasonable maximum, especially with people like Infinity Ward.

All of this just brings back my annoyance at how it's average rating is 9.4.

How much would you have liked Infinity Ward to change the multiplayer, though? They created 16 fully featured maps, added a bunch of guns, perks, and other extras. You're not going to change the core gameplay that made the first one so damn popular. Stick a (very competent) campaign on top and you have yourself a sequel.

I agree that Infinity Ward could have done a better job at crafting the Campaign, and I think some of their design choices were poor (CONSTANTLY being fired upon from every freaking direction) but as it stands I am very pleased with my purchase which is why I'm not too heartbroken about the campaign.

Offline faemir

« Reply #453 on: November 15, 2009, 05:27:57 PM »
The developer of CoD3 are not the same from CoD4, so that may have something to do with the vast improvement.

I meant 2, not 3. (3 was not on pc)

How much would you have liked Infinity Ward to change the multiplayer, though? They created 16 fully featured maps, added a bunch of guns, perks, and other extras. You're not going to change the core gameplay that made the first one so damn popular. Stick a (very competent) campaign on top and you have yourself a sequel.

I agree that Infinity Ward could have done a better job at crafting the Campaign, and I think some of their design choices were poor (CONSTANTLY being fired upon from every freaking direction) but as it stands I am very pleased with my purchase which is why I'm not too heartbroken about the campaign.

Fourth one you mean? ;)

But no I see what you mean and agree, the formula works. It would be nice to see improvement as have been seen through the series though which I think improved more between 1/2/4 compared to 4/6 (or even 5 I guess but I haven't played it).

I'm not sure. I just feel like Infinity Ward are damn good developers and I kind of feel sad with them not pushing their boundaries as they did so much with CoD 1, 2 and 4 :( But hey, maybe the game has reached its peak until they shoehorn in the crytek engine or something.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #454 on: November 15, 2009, 07:07:15 PM »
Just about to start the campaign for the first time  :corn