Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 562633 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6160 on: October 10, 2021, 09:48:20 AM »
Yeah, someone in the NM facebook group posted a picture of a For Sale sign up on the church property this weekend.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6161 on: October 10, 2021, 10:21:30 AM »
Not related to NM, and maybe it's having been brought up as a Roman Catholic, but "selling a church" has always bewildered me.   It just seems like one of those things you don't "sell".

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6162 on: October 10, 2021, 10:22:48 AM »
All this has me very excited for MF22 in April, but it also has me wondering what's left in Neal's catalog to cover at future Morsefests.

In the IC letter for March of this year, Neal said:
It remains to be seen how many more years we will be able to do Morsefest at New Life Fellowship, the church we've been having it all these years, as it is possible the owners could sell it.
So who knows when/where/if MF23 will happen.

Considering that Neal has played almost all of his solo albums and (nearly) all of the NMB albums live at Morsefest over the last 8 years, I really am not sure what else he could do, especially after a Transatlantic Morsefest (which will likely be a very definitive TA Morsefest). I suppose if Flying Colors releases a fourth album, they could have a FC Morsefest weekend and play almost all of their material over two nights of shows. Neal could also do another SB Morsefest and revisit SB songs he hasn't played at Morsefest yet, or do whole albums (like Beware Of Darkness and V, two of my favorites).

But at this point, if you've been to/seen/bought physical media of the eight Morsefest shows, you've seen nearly everything Neal has had to offer in his career. I'm not sure what else he could do, or even would want to do, after Morsefest 2022. Guess we will wait and see!

Regarding last night's show, can anyone say they ended "Beyond The Years" live? I'm curious as to whether or not they played it like on the album (since they have a live string section), or if it was a big epic finish with the full band.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6163 on: October 10, 2021, 11:36:21 AM »
I assume a potential sale would not affect Morsefest 2022, correct? 

Thinking ahead to the NMB tour, I think seeing what they played over these two shows gives a good indication of what they'll play then.  I could see the set list consisting of a lot of what was played night 1 and then the two new epics from night 2.  Hopefully, Revelation and The Way Home, which I thought were unimpressive selections given what they had to choose from (good shorter songs from the Neal catalogue that had yet to be played at a Morsefest), are not played, and Waterfall remains a part of the acoustic set with Not Afraid, Part 1.  I like Distance to the Sun, but if the acoustic set on the tour is just two songs, Waterfall and Not Afraid, Part 1 is the way to go, IMO. 

Offline DTA

« Reply #6164 on: October 10, 2021, 11:50:08 AM »
I’m thinking they do the entire I&D minus Bridge Over Troubled Water and Emergence, Waterfall, Alive Again, and some kind of Similitude/Great Adventure Medley. I can’t imagine they’d stick any of the SB songs in with the limited time they have.

Online HOF

« Reply #6165 on: October 10, 2021, 11:55:44 AM »
Time Has Come is easily one of my least favorite Neal era SB songs. It’s almost a total train wreck! Flow on the other hand is totally brilliant.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6166 on: October 10, 2021, 02:18:12 PM »
Great set list!  The only song that is slightly surprising to me is The Separated Man (in a good way as I too love that song) - just because it was already played during the first Morsefest.  If they release this on DVD/BD I'd definitely be a first day buyer!  In a somewhat related note, Beyond the Years has grown on me big-time!  So much good stuff packed into that Epic.  I'm even starting to enjoy and appreciate that crazy instrumental section now -  as it does provide some tension that gets resolved with the ending of the song.  I also really enjoy Bill's vocals on this and both of Eric's guitar solos are absolutely rippin - Great Stuff!!

Online HOF

« Reply #6167 on: October 10, 2021, 03:15:32 PM »
Not related to NM, and maybe it's having been brought up as a Roman Catholic, but "selling a church" has always bewildered me.   It just seems like one of those things you don't "sell".

It happens with some frequency depending on the denomination/type of church. Churches outgrow their space and move or build new buildings (or more sadly the neighborhood changes and they don’t want to be there anymore). Sometimes they close altogether and have to sell the property.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #6168 on: October 11, 2021, 04:01:22 AM »
Regarding last night's show, can anyone say they ended "Beyond The Years" live? I'm curious as to whether or not they played it like on the album (since they have a live string section), or if it was a big epic finish with the full band.
It was both - the band played to an eventual ending like how all fade-outs wrap up live, and a couple of seconds later the strings came back in and played that outro to an abrupt stopping point like on the album.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6169 on: October 11, 2021, 06:56:21 AM »

This has become a very common thing in the Netherlands (and I bet similar in surrounding countries). If no one is using them, it becomes impossible to maintain them and pay for them. The fate of such a building varies wildly. Usually they are repurposed for something else.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6170 on: October 11, 2021, 07:19:15 AM »

It happens with some frequency depending on the denomination/type of church. Churches outgrow their space and move or build new buildings (or more sadly the neighborhood changes and they don’t want to be there anymore). Sometimes they close altogether and have to sell the property.
Or there could be that old standby, a split caused by a doctrinal issue.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6171 on: October 11, 2021, 07:23:25 PM »
I’m thinking they do the entire I&D minus Bridge Over Troubled Water and Emergence, Waterfall, Alive Again, and some kind of Similitude/Great Adventure Medley. I can’t imagine they’d stick any of the SB songs in with the limited time they have.

I'd be surprised if Alive Again stays for the tour, as that would give them two 30 minutes plus songs (which Alive Again always is live), not to mention a 20 minute one (Not Afraid, Part 1).  I think it is more likely that The Separated Man gets played, as it is not crazy long and would work a song from Neal's solo career into the mix.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6172 on: October 12, 2021, 07:56:34 AM »

I'd be surprised if Alive Again stays for the tour, as that would give them two 30 minutes plus songs (which Alive Again always is live), not to mention a 20 minute one (Not Afraid, Part 1).  I think it is more likely that The Separated Man gets played, as it is not crazy long and would work a song from Neal's solo career into the mix.

Bummer; Alive Again is probably my favorite (or at least top three) NMB songs, and I would LOVE to hear it live.  I'm going to at least two shows (maybe three depending where they add shows) and I would love to see that up close and in person.   I could care less if they play any Spock's Beard; I'd rather hear NMB and NM (solo) material.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6173 on: October 12, 2021, 06:19:43 PM »

Bummer; Alive Again is probably my favorite (or at least top three) NMB songs, and I would LOVE to hear it live.  I'm going to at least two shows (maybe three depending where they add shows) and I would love to see that up close and in person.   I could care less if they play any Spock's Beard; I'd rather hear NMB and NM (solo) material.

I am just speculating, and odds are I will be dead wrong :lol.  I would just be surprised to see them play another 30-minute plus song on the proper tour, assuming of course that they play the two long epics from the new album, which I feel is a pretty safe assumption.

Offline DTA

« Reply #6174 on: October 13, 2021, 06:04:12 AM »
They could surprise us all and keep doing World Without End instead...  :lol

I feel like Alive Again has more of a shot since it includes the entire NMB and hasn't been played for a tour's duration since 2015, and I know MP is always good at bringing back songs that haven't been aired in awhile. But The Separated Man is a top 10 NM track so you can't go wrong with whatever they play

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6175 on: October 13, 2021, 06:22:53 AM »
Yep, any of those choices would be great (Alive Again, World Without End, Separated Man).

I'd love to see the return of In the Fire, but that got played on the first proper NMB tour, so it's probably not coming back this soon.  I am guessing this will be the first tour where The Call is given a rest.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #6176 on: October 13, 2021, 09:09:10 AM »

Boy do I have news for you about the state of the Roman Catholic Church in America

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6177 on: October 13, 2021, 09:50:00 AM »
Yep, any of those choices would be great (Alive Again, World Without End, Separated Man).

I'd love to see the return of In the Fire, but that got played on the first proper NMB tour, so it's probably not coming back this soon.  I am guessing this will be the first tour where The Call is given a rest.

The Call is one of those songs I don't listen to a lot, and I don't get jazzed for when I see it in the setlist, but when it's ACTUALLY played, and you see the joy that Neal has singing it, just makes you want to smile.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6178 on: October 13, 2021, 05:49:52 PM »

The Call is one of those songs I don't listen to a lot, and I don't get jazzed for when I see it in the setlist, but when it's ACTUALLY played, and you see the joy that Neal has singing it, just makes you want to smile.

Not that the first half of the song isn't great, because it is, but from the little bass guitar break around the 5 1/2 minute mark to the end of the song is just some of the best music ever.  Awesome guitar solo, awesome synth solo, and those final choruses are just massive.  To say that ending is powerful would be the understatement of the century.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline 425

« Reply #6179 on: October 13, 2021, 07:11:05 PM »
If someone asked me to play them one song that shows what prog rock is all about, The Call would be one of the first songs to come to mind. Complex and proggy while being fun, accessible and emotional.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6180 on: October 14, 2021, 05:49:42 AM »
If someone asked me to play them one song that shows what prog rock is all about, The Call would be one of the first songs to come to mind. Complex and proggy while being fun, accessible and emotional.

This is something I think about a lot. How could you explain "Prog" in one song to someone who has no idea what it is? The Call is a very good example!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6181 on: October 14, 2021, 07:43:12 AM »
There are so many songs to choose from that are good examples of prog.  Close To The Edge  and Hemispheres are the first ones that come to mind.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:06:33 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6182 on: October 14, 2021, 09:50:22 AM »
There are so many songs to choose from that are good examples of prog.  Close To The Edge  and Hemispheres are the first ones that come to mind.

I love those two tracks but I think I'd show a song with a little more modern production. At least to someone in my age (I'm 28). And at least Close To The Edge - while being a masterpiece of course - might be to "much" for a casual charts or rock listener  ;) Anyway, didn't want to push this thread into off topic, but this might make an interesting separate thread!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6183 on: October 14, 2021, 11:48:13 AM »
Yep, and the most important thing is to show them that progressive rock is alive and well in our time here and now.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6184 on: October 14, 2021, 11:52:23 AM »
Definitely go with something from Spiral Architect.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6185 on: October 14, 2021, 12:58:49 PM »

I love those two tracks but I think I'd show a song with a little more modern production.
That's a really good point.  The Odyssey, Octavarium, Greatest Show on Earth,  would be logical choices. Also the whole Similitude of a Dream album.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #6186 on: October 14, 2021, 04:44:24 PM »
They sent out the download links for the MF21 streams. I ripped the audio from both nights, chopped it up, and made it into an album. So at long last...

I finally have them all

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6187 on: October 14, 2021, 09:29:53 PM »
They sent out the download links for the MF21 streams. I ripped the audio from both nights, chopped it up, and made it into an album. So at long last...

I finally have them all

Amazing! I'm still miffed that Neal most likely won't ever release the Morsefest 2020 stuff on physical media. Hopefully he changes his mind for 2021.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #6188 on: October 15, 2021, 07:35:43 AM »
I could see it being an Inner Circle release someday.

Maybe he just doesn’t see a regular CD/Blu-Ray release as profitable. Sola Gratia got a very lukewarm response from what I’ve seen. As did the last Cover album. I remember him teasing a “secret project” last year and it turned out to be Cov3r to Cov3r, and the reaction here was pretty much “Oh…ok…”.

2021 I think will definitely get a physical release. Along with a second live album from the upcoming tour featuring mostly the same songs  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6189 on: October 15, 2021, 08:12:01 AM »
I could see it being an Inner Circle release someday.

Maybe he just doesn’t see a regular CD/Blu-Ray release as profitable. Sola Gratia got a very lukewarm response from what I’ve seen. As did the last Cover album. I remember him teasing a “secret project” last year and it turned out to be Cov3r to Cov3r, and the reaction here was pretty much “Oh…ok…”.
I'm not sure how excited he thinks people should be about a covers album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6190 on: October 15, 2021, 09:06:20 AM »
I don't see this year's Morsefest getting a physical release with the general public.  If I am reading it correctly, you can still buy the online stream for like $80 (I think), which then gives the option to then buy the download of the two shows for $30, so it would be a middle finger to the streamers to get them to pay $110(ish) for the download and then turn around and release it as a physical product to everyone for presumably a much cheaper price.   It stinks, but it's just the way it is.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #6191 on: October 15, 2021, 09:25:23 AM »
I think I’ve listened to the Cover albums once each. I’m sure it’s fun for him and Mike and Randy but I don’t think any of their covers are interesting takes on the originals. If they did their own arrangements like with MacArthur Park and BOTW I’d be a bit more interested.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6192 on: October 15, 2021, 07:20:56 PM »

I finally have them all

pssst... you're missing the Storytellers nights from 2016 and 2018 :-X

...AND The Great Nothing
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #6193 on: October 15, 2021, 07:40:09 PM »

;)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6194 on: October 15, 2021, 07:42:36 PM »
hahaha, NICE!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.