Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 559567 times)

Offline Learning2Live

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4620 on: August 28, 2020, 05:56:05 PM »
What was the reason again why Neal played drums on this track? I remember reading the reason before but can't find the interview where Neal gave details. Didn't he want something simpler than what MP originally came up with?

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4621 on: August 29, 2020, 09:27:20 AM »
My impatience got the best of me and I subscribed to waterfall instead of waiting two more weeks to get my cd... 

My spoiler-free first listen impression:  I don't really know what to think. LOL.  It's great obviously, but it's a lot to digest and it's going to take many listens to get to know it and see how it ranks amongst other Neal Morse solo albums.  My first impression is that there's no way it lives up to my other favorite Neal solo discs, like Sola Scriptura or One.  But I also know that pretty much all of my favorite albums had to grow on me and weren't instant classics on first listen (although I think Sola Scriptura and One both may have been haha).

I'm pretty confident though that it will be a grower.  Really great musically.  First listen favorite songs are probably Seemingly Sincere and Overflow.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4622 on: August 29, 2020, 09:40:34 AM »
I love the sound of Overflow.  But that song is the most "frustrating" for me, simply because I cannot figure out what it is about.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4623 on: August 29, 2020, 12:45:58 PM »
I've been a Waterfall subscriber for about a year or so (even though I barely use it), but I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. I've been too absorbed into digesting Petrucci's new album and the new Tangent album lately. I'm sure I'll get to Sola Gratia in the coming days, though! So much new music lately, it's kind of overwhelming trying to find time to get to it all, especially since I just started back up at work earlier this week.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4624 on: August 29, 2020, 01:09:01 PM »
First listen of Sola Gratia yesterday and I was just kind of 'ehh, it's a Neal album'   But that was also squeezed between a few listens of JP's albums so....today I gave Sola Gratia another spin and it was much better second time around. Definitely going to be one of those albums that reveals more with each listen.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4625 on: August 30, 2020, 07:01:27 AM »
What was the reason again why Neal played drums on this track? I remember reading the reason before but can't find the interview where Neal gave details. Didn't he want something simpler than what MP originally came up with?

I can't find the article, but that sounds right.  He was looking for a simpler sound, I believe.  My assumption beyond that was that Mike was busy and Neal had to get it done in a time crunch.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4626 on: September 07, 2020, 12:51:11 PM »
WELP........They did it.  they got me subscribed to the damn app cause i hate being left out.  BUT i fully intend to dump it as soon as the physical album drops

Anyhow......first listen......i love it.  a ton more than i do the last two (Was never keen on The Great Adventure.  and JCTE...well i started out loving it but it quickly faded.  and i find it a misguided attempt to be Jesus Christ Superstar)  but Sola Gratia hooked me straight off.

the singles which out of context left me cold.  shime on this record.  Particularly Seemingly Sincere.  Also i dig the production on the album as a whole.  I love all the little musical nods too Scriptura. 

Overflow......Where did THIS come from?  such a different kinda sound to what neal has done!! i love it.  the brushes on the drums.  "chef's  kiss)  Also Never Change...hot damn!!!  great solo from Neal there too

i also find thhe 2nd half in general way stronger then the first.  the last 7 songs all kill.

not the first half was bad i like Build the wall a lot.  it had a nice 70's rock anthem vibe going. Kinda different for Neal there as well!!

Portnoy is being portnoy on the kit so not much to say there, lol

It ends with your typical hands to the sky praise be Neal song but i can't complain cause it's always nice melodically.  even if the message just bounces off a guy like me, lol

so yea........thrilled and this is to me.  a nice bounce back from the last two. it follows the clear Morse road map but adds some new surprises as well.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4627 on: September 07, 2020, 01:04:46 PM »

I can't find the article, but that sounds right.  He was looking for a simpler sound, I believe.  My assumption beyond that was that Mike was busy and Neal had to get it done in a time crunch.

Neal talks about it in this ineterview:

https://progarchy.com/2020/09/04/by-grace-alone-a-conversation-with-neal-morse/

Bryan: Well is there anything we haven’t covered about the album? Anything you want people to know?

Neal: There’s a version where I played drums on the album.

Bryan: Oh wow. Is there one of the songs that’s on the final version of the album where you play drums?

Neal: Yeah I kept the drums that I did on “Building a Wall.” Mainly because I liked how – I play very simply, generally, because that’s all I can do. So I like the super simple approach that I was doing. I actually called Mike afterwards and told him I wasn’t really entirely digging that, and I asked him if he wanted to redo it. He said, “nah just use yours.” Which was fine with me. That worked out good, but I wanted to see, to give him an opportunity. But I think he was moved on to other things. Didn’t really want to go back to that. So yeah, I don’t like to program drums anymore, and I have a drum kit that’s all lined up in my studio. It took me like three days because I’m not very good as a drummer. That was interesting, but I found like I was feeling like maybe I was spending too much time. You want to use your time wisely, but anyways so be it. That’s how it was.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4628 on: September 07, 2020, 01:38:34 PM »
I've got a question for the people that have heard the new album. Before I dig into it, I would like to know beforehand if I should expect a particular thing from it. You might say it's as if I'm inviting spoilers.  :lol

You know those magical, dramatic, tragic musical themes that Neal whips out in his overtures? For example, the Testimony 2 Overture at 4:04, or The Great adventure Overture at 5:44? The question is, is there a theme like this on Sola gratia? I need to get myself ready emotionally.  ;D

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4629 on: September 07, 2020, 05:58:51 PM »
I've got a question for the people that have heard the new album. Before I dig into it, I would like to know beforehand if I should expect a particular thing from it. You might say it's as if I'm inviting spoilers.  :lol

You know those magical, dramatic, tragic musical themes that Neal whips out in his overtures? For example, the Testimony 2 Overture at 4:04, or The Great adventure Overture at 5:44? The question is, is there a theme like this on Sola gratia? I need to get myself ready emotionally.  ;D

I've only listened to the album a handful of times, so I may just be missing a part like that, but I don't think there's a part like those two (that I can remember at the moment).  At least not in the overture.  That said, there are definitely at least a couple of Neal trademark emotional moments on the album.

Spoiler alert  (kind of, although what I say will be pretty obvious to anyone who knows Neal's music)...  I will say that the last couple of tracks on this album rival the most emotional moments of any Neal albums.  Right up there with T2's Mercy Street reprise or the end of So Many Roads.  Also, there are a couple of insanely awesome guitar solos on the album.  One by Neal and one by Eric. Both are album highlights.

I think I'm finally getting close to the point where the album "clicks".  I've been avoiding it as much as possible to not over listen to it until I get the physical disc (mostly because I'm limited to where I can Waterfall so my listens haven't been all that in depth).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4630 on: September 08, 2020, 06:49:17 AM »

I've only listened to the album a handful of times, so I may just be missing a part like that, but I don't think there's a part like those two (that I can remember at the moment).  At least not in the overture.  That said, there are definitely at least a couple of Neal trademark emotional moments on the album.

Spoiler alert  (kind of, although what I say will be pretty obvious to anyone who knows Neal's music)...  I will say that the last couple of tracks on this album rival the most emotional moments of any Neal albums.  Right up there with T2's Mercy Street reprise or the end of So Many Roads.  Also, there are a couple of insanely awesome guitar solos on the album.  One by Neal and one by Eric. Both are album highlights.

I think I'm finally getting close to the point where the album "clicks".  I've been avoiding it as much as possible to not over listen to it until I get the physical disc (mostly because I'm limited to where I can Waterfall so my listens haven't been all that in depth).

Well, this makes the post I was gonna write redundant  :smiley:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4631 on: September 08, 2020, 07:54:19 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys!  :tup

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4632 on: September 08, 2020, 09:46:03 AM »
Just want to say i've had about 4 plays now.  and this album keeps getting better.

at over an hour it flies by.  it has zero dull moments.  it seems to me to be completely realized.  knows where it needs to go exactly.  and does not waste your time.  which is big with me.  i hate albums tat fart around without making any impact.

my fav tracks

i have to this album may have the best flow song to song that Neal has done.  it just is a truly cohesive piece.

and i may have overplayed Overflow, lol

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4633 on: September 08, 2020, 10:17:03 AM »
It definitely gets better after several listens.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #4634 on: September 09, 2020, 04:21:38 AM »
My copy came in the mail yesterday, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I've listened to it twice and I have to agree with the people who said that the singles work great in context. The ending was amazing!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4635 on: September 09, 2020, 08:25:03 AM »
Interestingly, although I really like the album as a whole, the ending does nothing for me.  But for others' sake, I'm glad I am apparently in the minority.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4636 on: September 09, 2020, 09:14:14 AM »
Interestingly, although I really like the album as a whole, the ending does nothing for me.  But for others' sake, I'm glad I am apparently in the minority.

I like it melodically. but it's your typical Neal i love Jesus ending.  which i'm not bashing.  if you love the message....wonderful.

but for a guy like me it misses me, lol

the ending doesn't detract though this is a great album.  Neal's best since Similitude.  he sorta lost me on the last 2 but he's back for me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4637 on: September 11, 2020, 09:07:18 AM »
Sola Gratia might be album of the year for me :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4638 on: September 11, 2020, 11:08:57 AM »
Thank goodness I broke and got waterfall app. Ordered first day of preorders on Radiant and it hasn’t even been processed there yet. Kind of bullshit, same thing happened with Similitude, got that like 3 weeks after release. Oh well. Enjoying lots of other great stuff on waterfall too. I’m not a huge Flying Colors fan but their live albums are great.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4639 on: September 11, 2020, 01:19:05 PM »

AND.....it's the best Neal album for me since Similitude.  wasn't a fan of the last 2.  so Neal actually hit a slump with me, lol

this remedied that in a big way.  i love this more each spin.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4640 on: September 11, 2020, 02:12:16 PM »
I'm one listen in and honestly it's not doing much for me. Sound like it's a grower and I hope that is the case but I've never been this 'meh' on a Neal album.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4641 on: September 11, 2020, 02:15:22 PM »
I'm in a neal Facebook group.  i've never seen a Neal album so split.

i know which side i'm on, lol

but it's interesting.

Offline DTA

« Reply #4642 on: September 11, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »
First listen through was okay. A little boring, but some things definitely got my attention in a good way. He's mastered the ability to create the same album over and over again and still have it be a decent listen.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4643 on: September 11, 2020, 03:51:44 PM »
First listen through was okay. A little boring, but some things definitely got my attention in a good way. He's mastered the ability to create the same album over and over again and still have it be a decent listen.

he HAS made the same album over and over.  but i love the formula, lol i mean for the most part.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4644 on: September 11, 2020, 07:10:31 PM »

AND.....it's the best Neal album for me since Similitude.  wasn't a fan of the last 2.  so Neal actually hit a slump with me, lol

this remedied that in a big way.  i love this more each spin.

If the last two you're talking about are TGA and JCTE... then yeah, much better than those two. The Exorcist album was different and still very good, but something quite didn't work there for me (the drums and maybe the more opera-ish approach), and TGA felt really forced, though there's some great material in there.

Also, this kind of NM album feels much better to me, with him doing all the writing and singing, as I'm not the biggest fan of Eric's or Bill's vocals.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4645 on: September 12, 2020, 07:43:02 PM »
Only one first proper listen but pretty underwhelmed so far and I am a big fan of all Neal’s prog stuff except the JCTE album which I don’t really count!  Just feels all a little undercooked and small to me compared to his other stuff.  To say it was phoned in would be overly harsh but just doesn’t seem particularly energised or as bombastic as his stuff usually is.  Neal’s music can often bring me to tears but I have no real emotional reaction to any of this.

Maybe it will grow on me but definitely feels like it will be my least favourite of his albums.  I am fully prepared to eat my words though on repeat listens and hope that is the case.  Shame because I was pretty excited to see him do a solo album again as I prefer his solo albums to the NMB ones.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4646 on: September 13, 2020, 08:26:53 AM »
Only one first proper listen but pretty underwhelmed so far and I am a big fan of all Neal’s prog stuff except the JCTE album which I don’t really count!  Just feels all a little undercooked and small to me compared to his other stuff.  To say it was phoned in would be overly harsh but just doesn’t seem particularly energised or as bombastic as his stuff usually is.  Neal’s music can often bring me to tears but I have no real emotional reaction to any of this.

Maybe it will grow on me but definitely feels like it will be my least favourite of his albums.  I am fully prepared to eat my words though on repeat listens and hope that is the case.  Shame because I was pretty excited to see him do a solo album again as I prefer his solo albums to the NMB ones.

This pretty much sums up my feelings after a few listens. Some good songs but a lot of boring stuff to my ears.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4647 on: September 13, 2020, 12:23:42 PM »
The album is growing on me with each spin, it's pretty cool so far. Has anyone been able to dig into the story? What is this exactly about? I've read it's about the Apostole Paul, but wasn't able to find a more detailed description.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4648 on: September 13, 2020, 01:07:43 PM »
The album is growing on me with each spin, it's pretty cool so far. Has anyone been able to dig into the story? What is this exactly about? I've read it's about the Apostole Paul, but wasn't able to find a more detailed description.

The review posted a page or so back goes into a lot of detail on the story:  https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/neal-morse-unleashes-a-progressive-rock-biography-of-saul-of-tarsuspaul-with-his-latest-solo-album-sola-gratia-album-review-by-jerry-deschler

Now that I've listened to the new album quite a few times and the excitement has died down a bit...  I think this will probably fall into the "upper middle" of Neal albums for me.  Doesn't feel like it has the staying power of some of the greatest albums (One, Sola, etc).  What I mean by that - when I got both One and Sola I swear I listened to the entire album all the way through almost daily for like a year, I just couldn't get sick of them. With Sola Gratia, I don't feel the daily need to listen to it.  That said, it's a great album and there's no songs that I don't like.  Still possibly my favorite album of his (band or solo) in the past decade.  And the ending (last two songs) is one of the strongest album endings (in my opinion, I know not everyone feels this way) of any Neal album.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4649 on: September 13, 2020, 01:27:10 PM »
i think i just appreciate how Sola Gratia is smaller and pulled back.  after 2 massive doubles in a row (both of which i rarely play and did super little for me)  it's just nice to have a "smaller" Neal Album.

i dig it more each day.

But i can't fault folks that are underwhelmed.  because this Album is getting a blah reaction and i get it.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #4650 on: September 13, 2020, 01:53:46 PM »
Anyone doing the virtual double night ticket for Morsefest want to grab me a Great Nothing DVD? I'll pay for one for you, as well. Turns out I won't be able to get a virtual ticket for this weekend because I'm moving and am not sure when I'm going to be able to get internet, but I don't want to miss out on that.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4651 on: September 13, 2020, 02:00:43 PM »
Thanks for the link, ronnibran. That was exactly what I was looking for.  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4652 on: September 14, 2020, 08:11:38 AM »
I ordered Sola Gratia over the weekend.  Hopefully I get my CD before Halloween.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4653 on: September 14, 2020, 09:50:07 AM »
Listened twice so far, early impression is that it's a perfectly fine Neal album, but it hasn't clicked with me the way my favorites of his do. We'll see how I feel after the MorseFest show this weekend, it took seeing Similtude live for that click to happen.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4654 on: September 14, 2020, 11:42:42 AM »
Listened twice so far, early impression is that it's a perfectly fine Neal album, but it hasn't clicked with me the way my favorites of his do.

Describes my feelings exactly.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D