Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 59449 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (ReaperKK ReMix!)
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2023, 08:28:06 AM »
Mine appears to be 77 MP / 23 MM.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2023, 09:14:19 AM »
Well, I'm not going to spotlight my list, but take The Walking Shadow. It has a wicked King Diamond vibe, and I find it way more interesting than...say..Constant Motion.
There is a good reason for that.

The Walking Shadow is a good song, while Constant Motion is a bad song wrapped around a somewhat interesting solo section.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2023, 12:23:41 PM »
Sent!

My split was 72 MP / 28 MM
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Animal

« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2023, 02:50:36 PM »
Just sent my list.

Breakdown by era: MP/MM   60/40

Breakdown by album:

WDADU: 6
IaW: 8
Awake: 11
A Change of Seasons: 1
FII: 5
Scenes: 11
Six Degrees: 5
ToT: 8
Octavarium: 4
Systematic Chaos: 2
BCSL: 2
ADTOE: 8
DT12: 7
TA: 13
DoT: 6
AVotTotW: 4

When re-listening to the whole catalog, I found that I liked most of the stuff about the same as before. But The Astonishing really clicked for me this time and got a huge bump as a result. The same for DT12 and, to lesser extent, ADTOE (I already liked this one a lot).

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2023, 04:33:56 PM »
Just sent my list.

Breakdown by album:

Check you've not made a mistake with your list because there's only 7 songs on Train of Thought, and although I only did a quick add-up in my head, I'm pretty sure you've got 101 songs there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2023, 05:21:13 PM »
Just sent my list.

Breakdown by album:

Check you've not made a mistake with your list because there's only 7 songs on Train of Thought, and although I only did a quick add-up in my head, I'm pretty sure you've got 101 songs there.

As I Am was on the list twice because it's so good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2023, 08:28:47 PM »
Just sent my list.

Breakdown by album:

Jeez just calling him out in public... :lol

I just checked, the list Animal sent only has 100 songs :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2023, 11:31:22 AM »
Doing my list now; the great thing about the ranker is it makes you decide between two songs that I never in a million years would have ever compared with each other (in my case, Another Won and Enigma Machine).

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2023, 11:35:15 AM »
Doing my list now; the great thing about the ranker is it makes you decide between two songs that I never in a million years would have ever compared with each other (in my case, Another Won and Enigma Machine).

Which was easily won by Another Won, I pressume.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2023, 01:42:27 PM »

That was me staring at The Silent Man vs This Dying Soul :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jeff_kinsley

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2023, 04:11:35 PM »
My split was 70 MP / 30 MM

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2023, 05:35:48 PM »
I'm either doing my Astonishing listen around this time tomorrow or Friday........I may post my thoughts in The Astonishing thread, as opposed to clogging this thread.  To be honest, it won't be anything special.  I don't want to go in with the thinking of dogging the shit out of it to entertain the audience, I want to be respectful to those that love it.  I'll do my top 100 but need to do some listening all across the board to be fair, including TA.

I'm listening to A View right now actually and I'm coming to terms with it and mildly enjoying it.  The Alien isn't a highlight but gets nicer to listen to each time, even though I don't think it's top tier DT.

Actually, I might do my listen tomorrow, around 9am-10am my time.  So about 23 hours from now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2023, 05:44:28 PM »
Unfortunately, Invisible Monster is still quite shit.

One day, I'll understand the hype for SG too.....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2023, 06:15:09 PM »

Still not a fan of Invisible Monster, either.

I've had about six or seven Astonishing songs already and they all seem to start awesome, then about halfway in they veer off on a tangent.  I get it's a concept album and you follow the plot, but they're awesome MUSIC, but not really awesome SONGS, if that makes sense.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2023, 06:18:48 PM »

I've had about six or seven Astonishing songs already and they all seem to start awesome, then about halfway in they veer off on a tangent.  I get it's a concept album and you follow the plot, but they're awesome MUSIC, but not really awesome SONGS, if that makes sense.

It's not a great song.  I just can't get the love for SG or ATM, simply don't see it.  The title track however has become quite excellent.

I'm looking forward to the Astonishing listen to be honest.  I have zero expectations so you never know.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2023, 08:25:09 PM »
I wasn't keen on View when it first came out and after the first few listens I didn't listen to it for well over a year. But it's since become one of my favourite DT albums, and only narrowly behind ADTOE as my favourite of the MM era. I don't know how or why but the whole thing just connected with me very deeply over time, it has a hopeful and encouraging energy that I've needed of late.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2023, 08:37:38 PM »
I wasn't keen on View when it first came out and after the first few listens I didn't listen to it for well over a year. But it's since become one of my favourite DT albums, and only narrowly behind ADTOE as my favourite of the MM era. I don't know how or why but the whole thing just connected with me very deeply over time, it has a hopeful and encouraging energy that I've needed of late.

I can see that.

ADTOE is another one I'll be revisiting.  I never took to it at all.  I've tried a few times and I always come out of it underwhelmed.  Again, another I don't see the hype about.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2023, 08:49:27 PM »

It's not a great song.  I just can't get the love for SG or ATM, simply don't see it.  The title track however has become quite excellent.

I'm looking forward to the Astonishing listen to be honest. I have zero expectations so you never know.

The album will still fail to meet them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2023, 09:08:46 PM »

I'm looking forward to the Astonishing listen to be honest. I have zero expectations so you never know.

The album will still fail to meet them.

:lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2023, 05:34:04 AM »

I can see that.

ADTOE is another one I'll be revisiting.  I never took to it at all.  I've tried a few times and I always come out of it underwhelmed.  Again, another I don't see the hype about.

ADTOE has what I consider my favorite Mangini-era song, so there's that to look forward to ("This Is The Life").

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2023, 08:18:43 AM »

I can see that.

This one surprised me the most when ranking all the songs. I never took to it either, but listening to.each song individually and rating it on it's own merits definitely helped. I actually prefer it over quite a few albums that are considered DT favourites.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Just a heads up that there are 10 days left to submit a list. If you've sent me a list and haven't heard back from me that means I just haven't gotten a chance to put your list in the tracker, I'm slowly going through the lists :)

Online MirrorMask

I noticed I don't save my outgoing messages, but I'm quite sure I sent you my list  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't sent yet and we've got a complete shitshow going on at work so at this point I'm not even sure I'll be in. Might just throw whatever songs in the ranker and submit it after one go.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm working on mine now.  By the way, have we discussed yet whether SDOIT should be one song or broken into pieces?   ;) :) :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I'm working on mine now.  By the way, have we discussed yet whether SDOIT should be one song or broken into pieces?   ;) :) :)
>:(
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness

Surprisingly we have not! We got too distracted talking about how Schiff isn't a liar.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Surprisingly we have not! We got too distracted talking about how Schiff isn't a liar.

And whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Does anyone else's copy of Pull Me Under have an abrupt ending?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

You know, that would be funnier if anyone actually DID respond to it with any substance.  ;) :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

You know, that would be funnier if anyone actually DID respond to it with any substance.  ;) :)
Not the correct venue for that kind of substance.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Understood and agreed; just making an observation in the spirit of the conversation. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Understood and agreed; just making an observation in the spirit of the conversation.
Sorry, I've just seen that particular debate, at a rough estimate, 17,000 times over the years lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Sorry, I've just seen that particular debate, at a rough estimate, 17,000 times over the years lol

Do you have a link? Because I missed it; I usually get silence when it's brought up.   :)

Back on thread; I'm going through and while I don't have to do it for every song, there are songs I listen to while making the choice, and MAN.  What a consistent catalogue.  I'm frankly amazed how little of this sounds either dated or of it's time (not the same thing) or that doesn't resonate in some way still today.   Solid.  I'll be comfortable in my Top 20, but honestly, I'm glad I'm ranking the whole list, because I don't think I could have just left 40 songs aside before any real comparison.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni

For everyone that mentions SDOIT being multiple songs I'm going to replace their vote with Barry Manilow's smash hit "Copacabana"