Author Topic: Now that the MM era is finished, how would you rank those five albums?  (Read 9847 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: Now that the MM era is finished, how would you rank those five albums?
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2024, 11:46:53 AM »
TIL JLB did all the character voices, you can barely tell it's him!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Digdug0913

« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2024, 12:57:58 PM »
1. Distance Over Time - This is the record that started it all for me and a personal favorite DT record. Since this record I have been slowly branching out on Dream Theater's fantastic catalog. All great songs front to back. I also like that it has a bit of a heavy edge to it (like Train of Thought)

2. A View From The Top Of the World - The is another really great record. Not a bad song on it and one of my favorite of their 20 minute epic songs.

3. Dream Theater - Another really great record from tart to finish. I feel in some ways it is one of their strongest efforts.

4. The Astonishing - This could still climb a bit as I am relatively new to it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. A lot of great hooks and music. I also really enjoy concept records. Metropolis Pt 2 is an exceptional one. This record is really long and there is good and bad to that. Time will tell if this becomes one I return to a lot or gets kinda lost in the mix.

5. A dramatic Turn Of Events - I do not enjoy this record all the way through (at least not yet) However, there are some songs on it I really enjoy quite  a bit.

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2024, 01:30:04 AM »
1. A View From The Top Of The World (8/10)
Pros: very solid album, great sounding record
Cons: a bit too much DT by the numbers, no top 10 or even top 20 song on here

2. Distance Over Time (7.8/10)
Pros: love the high energy, shorter song direction, a few outstanding songs like Pale Blue Dot, Barstool Warrior, Fall Into The Light, S2N and At Wit's End, plus one of the more memorable album covers as far as I'm concerned
Cons: over processed vocals, a few stale songs as well

3. A Dramatic Turn Of Events (7.5/10)
Pros: love Bridges In The Sky and Breaking All Illusions is my favorite Mangini era song
Cons: a bit too familiar at times, a bit too wankery at times and I don't really like On The Back Of Angels, Build Me Up, Break Me Down and the ballads, except for This Is The Life if you consider it a ballad

4. The Astonishing (7.3/10)
Pros: something different, the use of analogue instruments, great performance by LaBrie, some terrific melodic (guitar) playing
Cons: too long, often too cheesy, not a great story, sword fights and bag pipes?!

5. Dream Theater (6.5/10)
Pros: I like moments in songs like The Bigger Picture, Illumination Theory and The Enigma Machine, plus the wild guitar solo in Surrender To Reason is quite fun and a bit different
Cons: the sound/mix, poor songwriting as overall the songs are not too memorable, too little strong moments, might be my least favorite DT record overall
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 09:56:49 AM by The Paddies »

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2024, 09:26:41 AM »
#1 Self Title DT - Really liked Illumination Theory (felt emotion) and The Bigger Picture. Other solid songs include The Enemy Inside, Surrender to Reason, Along for the Ride just do enough to bump it up to number 1

#2 A Dramatic Turn of Events - Lots of solid songs but a little safe and samey overall

#3 The Astonishing: I disliked the souless "A View of the Top of the World" so much that I went back to this album and began to appreciate that it had catchy melodies and memorable songs. Sorry. Just how I feel.

#4 DoT  Really like Barstool Warrior, S2N, and At Wit's End.  The rest was meh to me

#5 A View From the Top of the World - This is the only DT release that I never have to hear again.  Nothing memorable when it comes to vocal melodies. Nothing catchy. Didn't like it at all. Made me wish they wuold return to the Awake formula instead of length.  Made me appreiate The Astonishing so much more and pray for The Astonishing part 2. Anything but this.

Offline lightbug

« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2024, 12:02:04 AM »
1. ADTOE
By FAR the best one. Even though the rest of them were great in their own way, none comes close to the greatness of this one. A perfect ride from start to finish.

2. DT
Less is more. This album is consistently good.
 :hefdaddy The Bigger Picture and Surrender To Reason  :heart

3. AVFTTOTW
This album could've been in 2nd place, but I think DT does things a bit better. Basically, it is an improved version of DOT. Even though it is clearly "modern DT", they were trying to do something different (e.g. Sleeping Giant and the epic).

4. DOT
Not a great album, also not bad at all. This album sounds like the guys were having fun, and that's ok. The mix (especially drums) was notably better, and that's a BIG plus. S2N and BW is why this album is 4th and not 5th.

5. TA
I liked TA back then and I like it now (I'm listening to it as I write this). However, as a full album, this one is weird and probably deserves the fifth place. Musically speaking it is fantastic. I really like how they managed to keep the flow from section to section, which is obviously tricky to achieve.
I remember listening to CD1 with a big smile on my face. Part 2 was ok, but part 1 was definitely better.

Cons:
- >2 hours long
- The NOMAC instrumentals are crap.
- The concept/story is 100% cliché and a bit Disney-like.
- The presentation overall is meh.
- The mix is meh.

... so much wasted potential here  :-\

However, I really appreciate they tried to make something different and ambitious, which btw is what DT desperately needs now.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2024, 07:36:07 AM »
Just for kicks, I added up the "scores" for each of the albums to see what the general ranking would be based on how you all ranked them in this thread. A few of you posted a few times - perhaps not remembering you posted once before - and I didn't include ariich since he wasn't clear on his ranking.

So adding the totals (giving 5 points to first place, 4 points to second, etc.) here are the numbers:
ADToE: 262.5
d/t: 224
AVFtTotW: 204
s/t: 183
TA: 131.5

Given the general comments on this forum, I'd say this is a fairly accurate representation of how people here feel about the albums.
Updated totals:
ADToE: 326.5
d/t: 277
AVFtTotW: 247
s/t: 230
TA: 164.5
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2024, 08:22:26 AM »
More proof to me that Dramatic Turn can be considered a modern day prog classic. (I most certainly do) beyond it being as nice as it is musically.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2024, 01:28:25 PM »
1. Distance Over Time. This album got me back into the band after the one two snooze of DT12 and Astonishing made me think my time as a modern fan was pretty much over. They remembered how to write songs and hooks and even be a little goofy! The only black mark is Room 137.

2. A Dramatic Turn of Events. Good songs, some forgettable moments and went overlong in a few places but it proved there was still something in the DT tank.

3. View. It's all right. Not terrible not fantastic. Answering The Call is cool, title track is pretty good, Sleeping Giant is the highlight. Unfortunately it does feel like DT by numbers in a bad way.

4. Self-titled. After ADTOE proved to me there was gas in the tank, the self-titled totally turned me off. They tried to focus on songwriting but forgot about hooks. Illumination Theory is by far their worst epic.

5. The Astonishing. There's an okay one-disc album hiding in here, but even cut in half the songwriting just isn't there and the concept is way overblown.

More miss than hit for me personally. Even the best album here still has a real dud.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2024, 10:52:30 PM »
1. Distance Over Time
2. A View From The Top Of The World
3. Dream Theater

The next 2 don't even exist on my media player. Just awful records.

4. A Dramatic Turn Of Events

5. The Astonishing
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2024, 01:25:31 AM »
That's interesting. Why do you consider A Dramatic Turn of Events awful?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2024, 07:41:37 AM »
probably the burping parts in Bridges in the Sky
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2024, 07:42:49 AM »
probably the burping parts in Bridges in the Sky

It's actually throat singing. I mean, a sample of it, but still.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2024, 07:43:55 AM »
interesting. TIL, i always just thought James burped during a vocal take and they decided to keep it
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Adami

« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2024, 07:50:29 AM »
interesting. TIL, i always just thought James burped during a vocal take and they decided to keep it

Nope. A smidge insulting, but such is life. I'd suggest checking out some Mongolian throat singing. If you want more contemporary rock version, I'd say check out The Hu.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2024, 07:57:39 AM »
the only throat singing i had heard previously was Nuclear Fusion by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard. it doesn't really sound like the sample from BITS tho to me, but I guess that's beacuse it's a different person/voice with a different timbre.

will check out the Hu! thanks!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2024, 08:27:42 AM »
Let me add my two cents...

1) ADTOE - It sounded amazing in 2011 and it still is on my DT TOP 5. Breaking All Illusions is incredible. There is a kind of energy and playfulness here that were missing since, maybe, SfaM. I listen a lot to the instrumental version, too (the one that came with the special box).

2) D/T - A very solid album, does not disapoint, with Barstool Warrior being a favourite of mine. But it sounds already a bit conventional now and then.

3) TA - I was really impressed when it was released, but in a couple of months the magic was gone. The main problem is being bloated. There is a good single LP in there, somewhere, but it does not work as it is. I rarely listen to it nowadays. But it´s higher than DT because...

4) DT - Too by-the-numbers. The songs are not bad, but a bit forgetable, as if each of them was a lesser version of a previous song. I admit it does not sound very good - it is a bit abrasive to my ears.

4) A view - When a DT album is released, I usually spend a couple of months listening to it non-stop. ADTOE I have listened like hundreds of times. A View was the first I gave up after two weeks. Like: got it, nothing new here. There are some nice moments in Answering the Call and Awaken the Master, but I can´t even say one song is good as a whole. I thought at the time they would need to change direction radically or go bust. They probably tought the same thing.
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline Skeever

« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2024, 08:29:10 AM »

No, that was Devin Townsend

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2024, 08:51:31 AM »
If you want more contemporary rock version, I'd say check out The Hu.
Indeed.  BTW, they put on a crazy good live show.  My kids and I totally rocked out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2024, 11:47:13 AM »
1. ADToE is easily number one. It is my number 2 album of all DT. Every song is great. I have 2 that I can cry on. (yes, always a good thing). BAI..top tier.

2. The Astonishing. I really enjoy this. It has a lot of great music buried deep within the songs. James is fantastic, I love his voice and I can hear the differentiation between all the characters. Great performance.      Also, I may be influenced since my first concert was the Astonishing (saw it 3x) and really my introduction to Dream Theater.

3 and 4 tied.  d/t and A View. d/t has better songs - BW, AWE especially. A View has no skips. But somehow the songs have great, and then less great attributes.

5. DT. - I love IT - a top song for me, and really enjoy the 2nd half of the album, but I cannot get into, at all, TEI or TLG, and while I like the instrumentals (more then others), I prefer not to listen to instrumentals.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2024, 06:59:20 PM »

I don’t believe a word of this post.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2024, 09:19:33 PM »

It just never clicked with me on any level and it sounds like hot garbage. Just an awful muddy mess. I made the mistake of pre-ordering the vinyl before release and have that sitting around here still sealed somewhere. I should probably try to sell it or something.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2024, 12:39:09 AM »

It just never clicked with me on any level and it sounds like hot garbage. Just an awful muddy mess. I made the mistake of pre-ordering the vinyl before release and have that sitting around here still sealed somewhere. I should probably try to sell it or something.

To be fashionably 80s about it, have you tried scooping the mids? It might be to your taste and it makes a noticeable difference.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2024, 11:16:18 AM »

Nope. A smidge insulting, but such is life. I'd suggest checking out some Mongolian throat singing. If you want more contemporary rock version, I'd say check out The Hu.

just wanted to say I checked out the Hu and loved it. thanks for your recommendation
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Adami

« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2024, 11:22:06 AM »
 :tup
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2024, 06:13:16 PM »
So HoSo, you legit thought JLB burped and they decided to slow it down to 1/4 speed and drag it out for 30 seconds? Sure you did.