Author Topic: Van Halen studio albums countdown thread! (#01 featured!!)  (Read 11794 times)

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Van Halen studio albums countdown thread! (#09 featured!!)
« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2023, 11:28:50 AM »
I'd argue VHIII had some of the band's best songs though! Not their best party rock songs, but just good songs.

Yeah, but you're the extreme outlier, HOF. I love a few of those tunes, but you gotta sorta throw yourself out of the equation (no offense) given you ranked the album as the best in the VH catalog.

If I'd participated he'd have been slightly less of an outlier. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2023, 12:35:52 PM »
6.  OU812
7.  III
8.  Diver Down
11.  ADKOT

OU812 is not a bad album, even if it is the lowest ranking Sammy album for me (if you are doing the quick math, yes, that means there are 3 more Roth albums that I put at 9, 10, and 12).  Interesting that I have never owned it.  5150 was such a strong album for me that this one basically just suffered by comparison.  They hits were good, but not as good as the hits from the prior album.  And a good friend of mine at the time that was more into them had it, and the non-hits just weren't memorable to me.  But playing it back now and listening to the whole thing, I still think it's stronger than the majority of the Roth albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #212 on: July 06, 2023, 01:48:01 PM »
I always figured that VH all but stopped writing new music after the Cherone thing fell apart because no one was around to give Eddie a kick in the ass to get him writing.  I remember the stories about how VH never would have hit the ground running without Roth being the one doing the leg work to get them gigs and whatnot, so once the band was down to just Eddie and Alex at the turn of the century (no singer, MA basically an outcast), there was no around to jump start the creative process to where it turned into actual songs.  Eddie's issues with alcohol didn't help either.

Here's the thing, though.  You ask EDDIE and he'd say he NEVER stopped writing.  If you're asking me, and I think you're asking me, I think he came up with these cool parts and cool riffs, and what not, and needed Dave and Sam and Gary (and Wolfie) to shine the diamond so to speak.  Look at the mid-period VH records that are sometimes a mess.  The breakdowns, the improvs, the flying by the seat of the pants... Sammy is a more structured songwriter, having written hundreds of songs solo, and you DO see a difference in the "Roth" era songs and the "Sam" era songs (the latter are longer, denser, more traditionally composed).   

I honestly think that he just didn't have the inner drive or the external pressure to put together ten or 12 fully composed songs, then have a singer just sing lines over the top.   My two cents.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2023, 01:54:22 PM »
I honestly think that he just didn't have the inner drive or the external pressure to put together ten or 12 fully composed songs, then have a singer just sing lines over the top.   My two cents.

Which sometimes worked out fantastically.  The instrumental "Respect the Wind" that he did with his brother on the Twister OST blew me away in theaters and is one of the most important songs in making me pick up guitar. 

Offline Samsara

• Author & Queensrÿche Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2023, 02:58:11 PM »

Which sometimes worked out fantastically.  The instrumental "Respect the Wind" that he did with his brother on the Twister OST blew me away in theaters and is one of the most important songs in making me pick up guitar.

Agree with both of you. And I think at that stage of Ed's career, not having that external pressure was great for him, but also led to some disappointment for fans.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Van Halen studio albums countdown thread! (#11 featured!!)
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2023, 03:01:39 PM »
I had OU812 at #8, for all intents, could've been my #7 as well. I remember that it was a breath of fresh air after the stuffy as all hell 5150. It just felt way more loose and natural.

12   Van Halen III
10   Diver Down
8     OU812
7     A Different Kind Of Truth

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2023, 03:16:29 PM »
I had OU812 at #8, for all intents, could've been my #7 as well. I remember that it was a breath of fresh air after the stuffy as all hell 5150. It just felt way more loose and natural.

That is an interesting take, that admittedly, without listening to OU812 in a bit, I find myself agreeing with. It is more loose and natural. Even if I find 5150 a better overall record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2023, 03:22:10 PM »

That is an interesting take, that admittedly, without listening to OU812 in a bit, I find myself agreeing with. It is more loose and natural. Even if I find 5150 a better overall record.

I’m not hearing it. I consider Summer Nights, TBOBW, and even Inside to be the antithesis of “stuffy”. But we can save that for that album’s discussion.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2023, 03:30:54 PM »

Might be the electric drums that gives 5150 that tight, sterile feel Tim feels it does?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: July 06, 2023, 03:35:57 PM »

I’m not hearing it. I consider Summer Nights, TBOBW, and even Inside to be the antithesis of “stuffy”. But we can save that for that album’s discussion.

Well, that's you. :P :lol

Maybe stuffy isn't the right word, but as Joe says, the electronic drums and the keyboards...OU812 just felt more like a VAN HALEN record to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #220 on: July 06, 2023, 03:40:25 PM »
I think 5150 has higher highs than OU812, but the latter is more consistent.  I will say more when we tackle 5150, but a major positive of both is how bright and colorful both sound.  And songs from both are ingrained in my head as far as being major summer albums (ahhhh, the mid 90s!!), so both will always get a little bump from me for that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: July 06, 2023, 03:41:16 PM »
  I will say more when we tackle 5150,

NO SPOTLIGHTING!!!!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #222 on: July 06, 2023, 03:41:50 PM »
Kev, Ah the mid 80's!!

For me. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2023, 03:55:32 PM »
Just re-listened to VH III. NOPE. lol. Without You and Fire in the Hole. I maintain my position those should be on any VH greatest hits compilation. But that's about it. It was a chore to get through.

Offline HOF

« Reply #224 on: July 06, 2023, 03:57:57 PM »
Just re-listened to VH III. NOPE. lol. Without You and Fire in the Hole. I maintain my position those should be on any VH greatest hits compilation. But that's about it. It was a chore to get through.

Good effort at least! I re-listened to it this morning. It was a joy to get through!

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #225 on: July 06, 2023, 04:59:20 PM »
"Once" is also easily one of his most interesting solos. 

Online The Realm

« Reply #226 on: July 06, 2023, 05:11:45 PM »
OU812 - my rank 8. Really loved this album 'back in the day' but not one I listen to these days.

My list:

12   Van Halen III
11   Diver Down
10   A Different Kind of Truth
8   OU812

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: July 06, 2023, 06:15:21 PM »
#9 OU812 (#2)  Their only offering that I'll make more than a one to two sentence comment.
I met my first wife in January of '88.  She liked The Talking Heads and similar bands, along with Motown.  A big Steve Perry fan, and just as big of a Van Halen fan. She had all their albums.  I was 'OK' with '5150', had seen Sammy in '84, had his three LPs that charted #32 or better in the States, but wasn't completely won over with the change.

I was with this.  It just hit all the right spots for me.  Even 'Black And Blue', which didn't rank here in the countdown, was my #1 VH tune.  The memories I have of playing it on the jukebox still brings me smiles.  My softball team and wives/girlfriends would have tables filled with pitchers of brew while we shot pool and celebrated yet another win, and this song almost always was played, and the two of us would hip bump many a time.

That song just seems like the natural closer to the album.  And, I became a big fan of the prior release because of it.

Pity they cancelled their tour show in Kzoo, and even more that they dropped it during the  F*CK tour for NINE of that album's songs.  Glad I found the Live in Japan video.

Never heard it until today.  Of course I'd have this slant, but I thought he brought his inner Brian May out in that one.  Lucky you for taking up the guitar from it :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #228 on: July 06, 2023, 06:27:13 PM »
Interesting, I'm a way more casual Queen fan than you are, is there a particular track or two it reminds you of?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #229 on: July 06, 2023, 07:07:47 PM »
Interesting, I'm a way more casual Queen fan than you are, is there a particular track or two it reminds you of?

EVERYBODY is a more casual Queen fan than DragonAttack! :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #230 on: July 06, 2023, 07:43:06 PM »
When you name yourself after a song, you're definitely making a statement.  :)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: July 06, 2023, 09:46:14 PM »
When you name yourself after a song, you're definitely making a statement.  :)

Nah, it's for the Queen tribute album that JLB and Petrucci played on  ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Attack:_A_Tribute_to_Queen

There's some harmonizing or flanging in 'Respect the Wind' that reminded me of May, and it's just such a damn lovely piece.  If I'd heard this and someone had said it was by Sir Brian, I wouldn't have doubted it for a second.  There's only a couple of moments where I go 'yup, that's Ed'.  (looking forward to 'Starfleet & Friends' re-release next month with a bunch of their never released outtakes)

'Face It Alone' was the song I kind of thought of.  Brian's guitar demo is on youtube.  Not similar, but a commenter mentioned that Brian was bringing out his inner EVH  :D :tup

:D
The 'maniacs' will be in Cleveland for the last No. American Queen convention next month.  'Breakthru' will be taking place for the last time after its inaugural one in 2001 with over 400 attendees (that I was part of the organizing committee).

oh, back on topic:  OU812....damn, a VH song with intelligent, thought provoking lyrics?  Damn!  And Michael Anthony's BVs really shown brightly on it. :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2023, 10:21:20 PM »
OU812s “thought provoking lyrics”

“Honey, I ain’t through with you
The harder the better
We’ll do it til we’re black and blue”

It’s a modern day Shakespearean sonnet.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 10:41:27 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: July 06, 2023, 10:35:04 PM »
OU812s “thought provoking lyrics”

Honey, I ain’t through with you
The harder the better
We’ll do it til we’re black and blue”

It’s a modern day Shakespearean sonnet.

thats really beautiful..... : )
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: July 06, 2023, 11:05:02 PM »
Always made me and the ex think of something….. ;)

Offline WardySI

« Reply #235 on: July 07, 2023, 01:43:50 AM »
I think 5150 has higher highs than OU812, but the latter is more consistent.  I will say more when we tackle 5150, but a major positive of both is how bright and colorful both sound.  And songs from both are ingrained in my head as far as being major summer albums (ahhhh, the mid 90s!!), so both will always get a little bump from me for that.

100% THIS!

Couldn't have put it any better (although like Kinger it's ahhh, the mid-late 80's for me as well  ;D)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Van Halen studio albums countdown thread! (#08 featured!!)
« Reply #236 on: July 07, 2023, 05:48:18 AM »
Speaking of the mid 90s...

08 Balance

Highest finish: 2 (HOF, devieira73, MusicMaker)
Lowest finish: 12 (jammindude)

What an appropriately titled record, as it is an album with a little bit of everything, thus making for a nice balance.  Plus, the production is awesome.  After the 80s sound of the first two Sammy albums and the brown sound going away on the third album, the fourth and last album with Hagar saw the return of the bright and warm VH sound.  The melodies really do sparkle on this record.  All that said, I still only ranked it 10th, simply because I just never reach for this one anymore.  It has songs I often go for (see: my favorites below), but it's just not a VH album that gets full plays from me anymore.  And given the relentless they had done in the early 90s (they toured on both the studio album and then the live record), it just sounds like they recorded the vocals for this as soon as the touring was done, as Hagar sounds raspy and strained in a lot of spots.  I had wondered at the time if his voice was shot.  Still an enjoyable record, with a few major standouts.

Favorite songs: Take Me Back (Deja Vu), The Seventh Seal, Feelin', Amsterdam

Offline WardySI

« Reply #237 on: July 07, 2023, 06:44:39 AM »
A little more filler here than F.U.CK but some tremendous highs.  As an opening track Seventh Seal is up there with Mine All Mine, the somewhat underrated Aftershock is top tier Van Hagar, Don't Tell Me, Feelin' lots of good stuff and even dug Not Enough and Can't Stop Loving You so yeah, there's that  ;D

Great album with a huge sound, had it at #6
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 07:02:15 AM by WardySI »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #238 on: July 07, 2023, 07:00:17 AM »
I had Balance at #5. Honestly, I think I had overrated it a bit.

What came into play is that I like it so much better than the two albums that preceed it, but that's not because this albums is so great, it's that the previous two albums really miss the spot for me. The opener on Balance is really good, there is some cool stuff on the record, but overall it might not be a top tier Van Halen album. I should have put A Differend kind of truth above it.

Offline HOF

« Reply #239 on: July 07, 2023, 07:53:45 AM »
I love this album, and it’s a somewhat close call between this and III for my favorite VH album. So it’s a close second for me. It’s heavy, it’s got some more unusual stuff for VH that’s almost proggy in places, and they were branching out a bit here even while still having several more classic VH style tunes like Amsterdam and a couple feel good pop tunes like Can’t Stop Loving You and Take Me Back. Seventh Seal, Don’t Tell Me (What Love Can Do), Aftershock, and Feelin’ all just hit really hard. Then the unsung hero of the album is Not Enough, one of VH’s best ballads. This album probably has Eddie’s best overall tone. It’s super meaty. Only skip track here is probably Big Fat Money (and Strung Out), but otherwise it’s great front to back.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: July 07, 2023, 08:07:13 AM »

Not sure a truer statement can be made on this forum. Other than my sig, of course.  :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2023, 08:29:29 AM »
I had Balance at #4, so a few spots higher than the forum majority. Let me start with the minor negative - the only song I don't dig on this album is "Big Fat Money," and really, I just consider it filler. Not a fan of "Doin' Time," but it's a 1:41 segue, so no big deal. The rest are really great. I think what hurt this album overall were a lack of singles. "Can't Stop Lovin' You" is the best in that category, IMO, but the others they released I really didn't feel were singles. They were good to great songs, but not single-ish. Re-listening now, maybe that statement is wrong. They work better as singles than I remember. So disregard that.

This was one of the albums that served as the soundtrack for one of the best periods of my life, spring/summer 1995. Finishing up my freshman year at college, working, spending time with my best friend, my college sweetheart, doing tons of things that young guys do (work, school, party, not necessarily in that order). Balance was the record in the center of it all. Favorite tracks are "The Seventh Seal," "Can't Stop Lovin' You," "Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do)," "Baluchitherium," "Take Me Back (Deja Vu)," and "Feelin'."

"Take Me Back" is especially poignant now, as my childhood best friend, who I spent the majority of the summer hanging with when not hanging with my girlfriend, passed away a couple years ago. Sure, the song is about a woman and a relationship, but just sentiment behind the song reminds me of the times with my buddy Rob. I always connect this album to those great memories.  We were supposed to go see Van Halen on this tour, one of the three nights they played at Jones Beach in August 1995. But being college students, and having already seen Bon Jovi on the These Days tour, and Queensryche on the Promised Land tour the previous month, for whatever reason, we couldn't do it. At least I couldn't. Being a poor college student was fun, but that is a huge regret.

Anyway, Balance has a special place for me in VH's discography. And I tried being as objective as I could, which is why it is #4. For those six songs in particular, I felt like the record needed to be in my personal top tier of VH albums. I felt the record did indeed strike a balance, musically, and lyrically. "Feelin'" is one of my favorite of those more social commentary pieces that VH does.

When Sammy revealed years later how difficult the brothers allegedly made things for him in the studio (and I do believe Sammy) it really upset me. I never really thought about where his voice was, register-wise, on the record. Listening now, I can hear he's pushing the very top end of his range throughout most of it. That must have been difficult. But the result is a beautiful collection of songs, some striking artwork on the cover, and a record that's forever linked to one of my favorite periods of life.

"Some call it fate, some superstition
Some call it luck, it's all the same
Oh, just one of the mysteries of creation
Somethin' you feel but can't explain, oh
Take me back..."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 08:34:42 AM by Samsara »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #242 on: July 07, 2023, 08:50:45 AM »
12   Van Halen III
9   Balance
7   OU812
4   Diver Down
3   A Different Kind Of Truth

Balance; when it's on, it's ON - Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do, Seventh Seal, Crossing Over (the b-side) - but when it's off, it's OFF - Amsterdam and Big Fat Money.   Don't have a lot to say about this one, really; I was kind of over the Sam and Ed drama at that point.  I had sort of solidified myself as a Dave guy and while there is some great music on here, this is not a record I spent a lot of time with at the time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2023, 09:17:40 AM »
4.  Balance
6.  OU812
7.  III
8.  Diver Down
11.  ADKOT

I think time has been friendly to the songs on this album.  It didn't really hit for me at the time.  But listening back, it's stronger than remember.  Or at least, I like it better than I remember.  I saw them on this tour at Target Center in Minneapolis, and it was honestly hard to watch.  Other than Sammy, the entire band looked tired and had no energy.  I know Ed was dealing with his hip issues at the time, but I don't think he moved from like a 3x3 patch of real estate on the stage the entire show.  They seemed like a band that was just done.  That may also have contributed a bit to why I didn't pick up this album at the time.  There was just no excitement about VH anymore by this point, even if they were still making pretty good music.  But listening back, the music is definitely there on this one, hence its pretty high rank.  And I still have 2 Sammy albums that rank higher...  Yeash, that means only two Roth-era albums made the top half of the discog.

I had Balance at #4, so a few spots higher than the forum majority. Let me start with the minor negative - the only song I don't dig on this album is "Big Fat Money," and really, I just consider it filler. Not a fan of "Doin' Time," but it's a 1:41 segue, so no big deal. The rest are really great. I think what hurt this album overall were a lack of singles. "Can't Stop Lovin' You" is the best in that category, IMO, but the others they released I really didn't feel were singles. They were good to great songs, but not single-ish. Re-listening now, maybe that statement is wrong. They work better as singles than I remember. So disregard that.

Interesting that this was your gut reaction, because it was mine at the time this album was out.  For me to have felt that way at the time, and both of us to feel exactly that way going into a listen recently is very interesting and perhaps telling. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: July 07, 2023, 09:22:04 AM »

Interesting that this was your gut reaction, because it was mine at the time this album was out.  For me to have felt that way at the time, and both of us to feel exactly that way going into a listen recently is very interesting and perhaps telling.

Yeah. Maybe it is on point. But after listening to the record this morning, I was like "no, these are good singles." But they aren't...AS accessible as VH songs in the past, which may be the thing...