Author Topic: Top Of The World Tour 2023  (Read 69569 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Top Of The World Tour 2023
« Reply #1015 on: March 27, 2023, 10:15:42 AM »
Since we were talking about things we'd like to see from DT for future tours, I'll talk about something I'd love to see them do, but will never happen, really :P

It'd be great to see them do something like Yes' Union tour, were we see all the current + some former members touring together. Again, not gonna happen, but still :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1016 on: March 27, 2023, 11:09:21 AM »
Since we were talking about things we'd like to see from DT for future tours, I'll talk about something I'd love to see them do, but will never happen, really :P

It'd be great to see them do something like Yes' Union tour, were we see all the current + some former members touring together. Again, not gonna happen, but still :lol

It would be cool to see them do like half a set with MP and half set with MM.  But, personally, I'm not too interested in anyone else performing with DT from the past.  Maybe Kevin Moore, but I feel like he's so disassociated with the band that the interest is probably not quite there anymore. I personally don't care about DS at all so there's also that.   Dominici had his moment of return to DT.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1017 on: March 27, 2023, 02:53:53 PM »

It feels to me inevitable that Mike Portnoy will be featured in some big show with them, maybe for their 40th or 50th anniversary.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1018 on: March 27, 2023, 03:23:12 PM »

It would be cool to see them do like half a set with MP and half set with MM. 

Unless it's DT's last and final show, I can't think of anything worse.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: March 27, 2023, 03:59:24 PM »

Half a set with Charlie and Derek?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1020 on: March 27, 2023, 05:44:10 PM »
Maybe I'm just not paying attention to the right bands, but is this something that other bands do?  Just bring back ex members for concerts (much less an entire tour)?  I don't see Maiden inviting Beetle Bailey on stage to sing with them or Ripper Owens with Judas Priest.

Yes's Union was a slightly different thing in that it was a merger of two versions of the band with a single member common to both.  WDADRu was a pretty unique thing to my knowledge, and it seemed a bit out of place to have Derek there.

Bringing MP back for more than one song, unless it's a last and final show ever (or an RRHOF induction - LOL), would just be a terrible idea that would have no lasting effect, except to send us back to the "which Mike is better?" debate that dominated the first half of the 2010s and which occasionally pops up now.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: March 28, 2023, 07:07:28 AM »
I don't think DT have more than 2 world tour left at the level we've been accustomed to in terms of venues and audiences (which are slowly but steadily declining for years now), so i really think we're closer to having MP back in some form.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: March 28, 2023, 07:53:23 AM »

:lol yeah thats much worse.  I don't see what's so bad about 90 minutes with MP and 90 minutes with MM on some final DT tour or something that's honoring their history.  Of course I don't think that's a good idea for the band to do consistently.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1023 on: March 28, 2023, 08:16:52 AM »
Maybe I'm just not paying attention to the right bands, but is this something that other bands do?  Just bring back ex members for concerts (much less an entire tour)?  I don't see Maiden inviting Beetle Bailey on stage to sing with them or Ripper Owens with Judas Priest.

Yes's Union was a slightly different thing in that it was a merger of two versions of the band with a single member common to both.  WDADRu was a pretty unique thing to my knowledge, and it seemed a bit out of place to have Derek there.

Bringing MP back for more than one song, unless it's a last and final show ever (or an RRHOF induction - LOL), would just be a terrible idea that would have no lasting effect, except to send us back to the "which Mike is better?" debate that dominated the first half of the 2010s and which occasionally pops up now.

I've seen Fate's Warning do this for some one off shows, but nothing for entire tours that I can remember. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: March 29, 2023, 02:47:33 PM »

Unless I'm working or traveling I'll always catch DT when it comes through but if Derek is touring with them that will be an immediate pass.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1025 on: March 29, 2023, 03:10:16 PM »
Didn't they already do the Charlie and Derek thing years ago?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1026 on: March 29, 2023, 05:56:05 PM »
Didn't they already do the Charlie and Derek thing years ago?

They performed during the When Dream and Day Reunite show in 2004.  Charlie did To Live Forever and Met1, and Derek played on Met1 (with an extended instrumental jam/keyboard duel between Derek and JR).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1027 on: March 29, 2023, 06:02:28 PM »
was it a sensitive and somewhat contentious issue at the time that Derek or Charlie should be allowed back into the band?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: March 29, 2023, 11:50:55 PM »
was it a sensitive and somewhat contentious issue at the time that Derek or Charlie should be allowed back into the band?

If I remember rightly, over at MP.com, a) it just wasn't that big a deal really, and b) we generally thought it was pretty cool.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1029 on: March 30, 2023, 06:24:05 AM »
They weren't allowed back into the band.  It was a one-off, and it was fun, but I never want to see it again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1030 on: March 30, 2023, 09:07:34 AM »

Charlie's appearance with Dream Theater that night helped him make three albums I really enjoyed. It's sad he didn't make more music after that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1031 on: March 30, 2023, 09:19:00 AM »

You mean in 2004 at the WDADRu show?  No.  I don't think anyone (including Charlie) has ever said or though Charlie should return to DT.  And, as far as I know, no one has ever seriously suggested anything about Derek returning.  WDADRu was just an anniversary show that MP arranged.  He also reached out to Kevin Moore to appear and play, but KM ignored the entreaty.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1032 on: March 30, 2023, 09:27:17 AM »

Charlie's appearance with Dream Theater that night helped him make three albums I really enjoyed. It's sad he didn't make more music after that.

He made quite a bit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• PR permission
« Reply #1033 on: March 30, 2023, 06:56:45 PM »
I would support MP coming onstage to play a song or two on the farewell tour. Outside of that inevitable tour, I see no reason for it to occur. I am quite pleased, to say the least, with the MM acquisition and think everyone including MP has been better off for it musically speaking.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1034 on: April 05, 2023, 01:42:46 PM »
I have a good feeling this thread will see some activity in the near future  ;) :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1035 on: April 05, 2023, 02:31:04 PM »

• PR permission
« Reply #1036 on: April 05, 2023, 06:34:42 PM »
I have a good feeling this thread will see some activity in the near future  ;) :corn

Why?

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1037 on: April 05, 2023, 09:52:53 PM »
I would support MP coming onstage to play a song or two returning on the farewell tour. Outside of that inevitable tour, I see no reason for it to occur. I am quite pleased, to say the least, with the MM acquisition and think everyone including MP has been better off for it musically speaking.

;)

• PR permission
« Reply #1038 on: April 06, 2023, 06:54:06 PM »
I would support MP coming onstage to play a song or two returning on the farewell tour. Outside of that inevitable tour, I see no reason for it to occur. I am quite pleased, to say the least, with the MM acquisition and think everyone including MP has been better off for it musically speaking.

;)

It's over, man lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1039 on: April 06, 2023, 07:46:06 PM »
 ;)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1040 on: April 07, 2023, 01:00:50 PM »
I've posted this on Official Bootlegs thread, but it makes more sense here.
The AVFTTOTW tour is ending next month, right? So, if DT will release an official live Blu-Ray, they already filmed any show or planning to film one of the next? I didn't see anything about it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1041 on: April 07, 2023, 03:23:33 PM »
I hope we get some kind of live album, but it would be a real shame if it didn't feature ALL the songs they played across this tour.

• PR permission
« Reply #1042 on: April 07, 2023, 04:18:44 PM »
If it were filmed we would know about it. At this point the only hope is to film one of the remaining venues.

We've had recordings of every tour for over a decade so it would indeed be a shame not to have a record of this, but I feel that is the direction this is going in. Perhaps the band feels that the Rio recording was good enough to suffice - I disagree!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1043 on: April 08, 2023, 10:48:50 AM »
If it were filmed we would know about it. At this point the only hope is to film one of the remaining venues.

We've had recordings of every tour for over a decade so it would indeed be a shame not to have a record of this, but I feel that is the direction this is going in. Perhaps the band feels that the Rio recording was good enough to suffice - I disagree!
We didn't get a recording of The Astonishing tour and IAWAB (the Japanese TV recording isn't official). Also you are right, the Rio recording is not a good representation of the Top of the World tour at all.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1044 on: April 08, 2023, 11:35:48 AM »
I almost always prefer to listen to live versions of any band’s music if there’s high quality versions available (with the exception of Chaos in Motion), so even if there’s no official CD/DVD release, I’d be very happy with even a soundboard recording released through LNFA. If they only do it for the second set list of the tour though, I’d be a little sad if they don’t release a live recording of TMoLS; it was incredible live on that tour!

Also, those “spring US dates” that JLB said were possible are clearly not happening so here’s hoping it still happens in the summer/fall!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1045 on: April 10, 2023, 11:54:12 AM »
They have a show booked at the Budokan not too far from now. Even if they don't plan to record and release it, last time they were there the show got recorded anyway by a Japanene network, so there's hope at least for some pro-shot footage of this show that isn't the RIR thing.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1046 on: April 11, 2023, 12:18:58 PM »

:corn

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1047 on: April 11, 2023, 12:39:09 PM »

:corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1048 on: April 11, 2023, 02:44:19 PM »
Well, that post did spark some activity in the thread, didn't it?  :P

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1049 on: April 11, 2023, 03:32:29 PM »