Poll

How many songs by DT do you consider to be "epics?"

7 or less ("if it ain't close to 20 minutes or more, it ain't an 'epic'")
43 (53.1%)
around 10, give or take ("mainly the 'big ones,' but a few more might qualify")
16 (19.8%)
11-15
12 (14.8%)
16-20
2 (2.5%)
>20
8 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: How many "epics" does Dream Theater have?  (Read 17425 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: How many "epics" does Dream Theater have?
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2021, 06:50:18 PM »
So, do we just ignore what the band has said about their own songs? :huh:

A Mind Beside Itself was never a full song, but a suite of songs. That's how the band, the writers and owners of the songs, wanted it to be. If it is one song, so is the 12-step one... and it isn't.

As for SDOIT and ITPOE, those are in fact full songs, it doesn't really matter what we think of them or want them to be. These were just split into different tracks for different reasons: Six Degrees because it was too long and they wanted to have easy access to each part for the listener; and Presence because they wanted it both at the start and the end of the album and also because they didn't want 2 albums in a row to end with a 20+ minute song.

Those facts have been documented in various interviews, etc. Also, both appear listed as one song on the making-of videos of each album AND have live versions officially released as one song/track (Score and CIM).

And before we get the "but those aren't always performed as full songs for live shows" argument, neither does ACOS, and I don't see anyone saying it isn't one song because of that :tup

TL;DR: DON'T IGNORE THE FACTS >:(

:biggrin:

A Mind Besides Itself was presented as a single song/piece of music on the Live Scenes.... DVD.  Just saying... ;)

Taking a look at various entries on discogs, it appears that the Metropolis 2000 DVDs had the AMBI songs tracked separately, so even though the packaging reflects their connection as a suite, they each have their own indexed track on the DVD rather than playing as one continuous track, like ACOS.

-Marc.

Yep. Both the DVD and the CD version.

Oh, so if a "single song" is not indexed as a single song, then it is not a single song, ala the Six Degrees suite on the Six Degrees album, or the two In the Presence of Enemies songs on Systematic Chaos, right? :P :P

If the band says it is a song, it is, and viceversa :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2021, 07:01:55 PM »
I had chosen 11-15. I kinda guessed when I voted. Then I remembered I actually made a DT Epics playlist some time ago. The other day I added A View. Today I went and counted wondering how many I had put in. It's 16 now.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2021, 08:52:34 PM »
Oh, so if a "single song" is not indexed as a single song, then it is not a single song, ala the Six Degrees suite on the Six Degrees album, or the two In the Presence of Enemies songs on Systematic Chaos, right? :P :P

If the band says it is a song, it is, and viceversa :P
Agreed.

I had chosen 11-15. I kinda guessed when I voted. Then I remembered I actually made a DT Epics playlist some time ago. The other day I added A View. Today I went and counted wondering how many I had put in. It's 16 now.
So what makes up your list of DT epics? Obviously the ~20 minute barrier isn't the only thing that determines it for you.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2021, 09:37:49 PM »
So what makes up your list of DT epics? Obviously the ~20 minute barrier isn't the only thing that determines it for you.

If I had to guess...
The Killing Hand
Learning To Live
A Change Of Seasons
Lines In The Sand
Trial Of Tears
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
In The Name Of God
Octavarium
In The Presence Of Enemies
The Ministry Of Lost Souls
A Nightmare To Remember
The Count Of Tuscany
Bridges In The Sky
Breaking All Illusions
Illumination Theory
A View From The Top Of The World

I could probably be off about a few of those, particularly TKH and maybe BITS.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2021, 11:23:09 PM »
Oh, so if a "single

TCOT
Trial of Tears
BAI
IT
AWE
PBD
SS
Octavarium
TGP
TGD
ACOS
LITS
ITPOE 1,2
BITS
View

And hilariously..
Just Let Me Breathe!  :rollin

Epic songs are my favorites. But I added JLMB, because I love it in the same way. They all take me somewhere. A story, a feeling, or something without a real description of what it is.
I should probably add Nightmare...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2021, 10:07:31 AM »
IS A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD the best 'Epic' since Octavarium ?
Not for me.  Illumination Theory still holds that title.

Although View is quite good.  I like it a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2022, 01:29:45 PM »
Six Degrees on the other hand is split up by Dream Theater, so they think of it as eight stand-alone songs, to say the least.

No, that is factually incorrect.  The band has publicly said that they think of it as a single song, and that it was written as a single song.  They decided to put the track breaks in at the last minute because "the song" was so long, and they thought fans would appreciate being able to skip to certain movements if they did not have time to listen to the whole thing.  They have been clear that they did not ever "think of it as eight stand-alone songs."  Ever. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2022, 02:11:12 PM »
Six Degrees on the other hand is split up by Dream Theater, so they think of it as eight stand-alone songs, to say the least.
No, that is factually incorrect.  The band has publicly said that they think of it as a single song, and that it was written as a single song.  They decided to put the track breaks in at the last minute because "the song" was so long, and they thought fans would appreciate being able to skip to certain movements if they did not have time to listen to the whole thing.  They have been clear that they did not ever "think of it as eight stand-alone songs."  Ever.
Exactly. Way back in the day, I used to handle MP's FAQ and while I don't remember the source of the quote, here's what MP had to say regarding the title track of SDoIT being split up into different tracks on the CD:
MP: I was a bit torn over whether or not we should give the song different ID’s on the CD, because I wanted it to be perceived as 1 song. Ultimately I decided to index it because after a few listens, the novelty of seeing the CD timer reach 42:00 would wear off and it would become very annoying to have to scroll through the whole song to find a particular section.
https://web.archive.org/web/20041013054532/http://www.mikeportnoy.com/about/mpfaq/showquestion.asp?menu=about&faq=1&fldAuto=253
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2022, 02:16:28 PM »
Thanks for the facts.  :tup

And I think it was a good decision.  Especially with the band subsequently playing some of the movements at a time in a live setting, those separate movements have somewhat taken on a life of their own, and I think a LOT of fans probably find themselves at one time or another wanting to listen to certain specific ones. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2022, 02:31:09 PM »
Exactly. Way back in the day, I used to handle MP's FAQ and while I don't remember the source of the quote, here's what MP had to say regarding the title track of SDoIT being split up into different tracks on the CD:
MP: I was a bit torn over whether or not we should give the song different ID’s on the CD, because I wanted it to be perceived as 1 song. Ultimately I decided to index it because after a few listens, the novelty of seeing the CD timer reach 42:00 would wear off and it would become very annoying to have to scroll through the whole song to find a particular section.
https://web.archive.org/web/20041013054532/http://www.mikeportnoy.com/about/mpfaq/showquestion.asp?menu=about&faq=1&fldAuto=253

Interesting phrasing.  MP wanted it that way, but he was only 1/5 of the band.  I've always taken it that it was a band position, but is there any statement about this beyond MP's statement?  Or any statement from JP, JR or JLB (don't even need to ask about JM)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2022, 03:08:49 PM »
Interesting phrasing.  MP wanted it that way, but he was only 1/5 of the band.  I've always taken it that it was a band position, but is there any statement about this beyond MP's statement?  Or any statement from JP, JR or JLB (don't even need to ask about JM)?
Not that I am aware of. But given other comments that MP had made regarding it, I believe the band consensus is the same as him. Here's a few other quotes:
When we started writing the sixth song, we already had 55 minutes of music done. I knew in my mind, and even suggested to the others "let's make another ACoS-type song." And I remember John Petrucci saying "OK, but let's not go past 20 minutes." We figured it would be a single CD set of 75 minutes and that would have been it. As we do with all of our songs it just grows and grows and the next thing we know we are 40 minutes into the song. Before we knew it we had this giant piece of music, which I kind of view as a mini-concept record, a mini Scenes From A Memory. We knew once we had that we needed to come up with a concept that would tie it all together, so John and I came up with this idea of creating six different characters and each of us would write about three of them. So I wrote about three and John wrote about three. Basically, it's almost like a tour through an insane asylum where people are dealing with mental anguish, manic depression, and issues like that. So we created six different characters and tried to look at their different stories and differences in their lives, but yet the common thread that binds them all together.
https://web.archive.org/web/20041013054559/http://www.mikeportnoy.com/about/mpfaq/showquestion.asp?menu=about&faq=1&fldAuto=416

MP: We wrote the whole piece as one 40 minute song. We wrote the overture first and from there we took the themes in the overture that we liked and knew we wanted to expand into full sections we would then develop them into full sections and then once we looked at the entire 40 minute thing after it was finished we divided up the sections and John and I split up the sections into six different characters and each of us write about three. Basically I wrote about three and he wrote about three and they're six different people all from very different backgrounds and walks of life, all dealing with the common thread of trying to cope with mental imbalances and things like that.
https://web.archive.org/web/20041013053759/http://www.mikeportnoy.com/about/mpfaq/showquestion.asp?menu=about&faq=1&fldAuto=425

The fact is, their intentions were to write another epic along the lines of ACoS but then ended up writing about 40 minutes of music before realizing it. Additionally, they started with writing an overture as a basis. So the evidence all points to it being viewed as a single song. And would there even be any discussion if the whole thing had been indexed as one track? After all, it's a single track on Score. Likewise, I don't think I've ever seen any debate about whether Transatlantic's Whirlwind album is a single song or multiple songs, and yet it follows exactly the same pattern as SDoIT.

Offline 425

« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2022, 03:24:29 PM »
I fully agree with you on the main question, Scotty, but the same people who call SDOIT multiple songs also typically say that The Whirlwind is multiple songs.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2022, 03:35:40 PM »
Likewise, I don't think I've ever seen any debate about whether Transatlantic's Whirlwind album is a single song or multiple songs, and yet it follows exactly the same pattern as SDoIT.

No, there have been a bunch of folks here who try to say that it is a bunch of separate songs instead of one. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2022, 03:42:03 PM »
I stand corrected then - maybe I haven't read the TA threads as much so I didn't see any arguments about the Whirlwind.

I gotta wonder if these same folks would argue that Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Gray is multiple songs then, too, since it's indexed into 12 tracks. Or would any of them consider the Fountain of Lamneth, 2112 and Hemispheres as multiple songs despite the fact that they are only indexed as 1 track each on their respective CDs.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2022, 04:34:08 PM »
The band chose to separate the movements. If they wanted to avoid this discussion, they could have easily just not done that.

It is officially one song, but with each movement having its own identity, and some of the transitions being far from smooth, I find it difficult to rate it as one big experience. I think the band would understand that though, because if they thought it needed to be viewed as one big experience, why list "to make it easier to skip sections" as a reason? People don't do that for the other epics when they're cohesive.

Basically, I think the album flows better when treating the title track as its eight movements, because the full thing feels like multiple songs anyway. I'm aware that the band made a decision for it to be one song, but it's a decision that I don't think works well, and the band acting against said decision of their own volition makes me feel like validated in that stance.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Kram

« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2022, 04:57:38 PM »
The band chose to separate the movements. If they wanted to avoid this discussion, they could have easily just not done that.

It is officially one song, but with each movement having its own identity, and some of the transitions being far from smooth, I find it difficult to rate it as one big experience. I think the band would understand that though, because if they thought it needed to be viewed as one big experience, why list "to make it easier to skip sections" as a reason? People don't do that for the other epics when they're cohesive.

Basically, I think the album flows better when treating the title track as its eight movements, because the full thing feels like multiple songs anyway. I'm aware that the band made a decision for it to be one song, but it's a decision that I don't think works well, and the band acting against said decision of their own volition makes me feel like validated in that stance.
I agree

Offline 425

« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2022, 04:58:54 PM »

Much of this can be said of A Change of Seasons. I think it's basically no more cohesive than SDOIT, I've definitely skipped to sections of that song multiple times before, and the band even played several movements of it independently on the FII tour.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2022, 05:29:48 PM »
And yet it's clear that they split it up out of convenience for us, the listeners, but clearly stating that it was one song. Therefore, I fail to see why there is any discussion over this. The band says it's one song. You acknowledged that. Case closed.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2022, 05:56:24 PM »
And yet it's clear that they split it up out of convenience for us, the listeners, but clearly stating that it was one song. Therefore, I fail to see why there is any discussion over this. The band says it's one song. You acknowledged that. Case closed.

They can't exactly say it's for convenience without acknowledging that some people would want to listen to movements individually, and therefore would interpret the movements separately. People using that convenience is not against the band's wishes, and if it was, they wouldn't have even considered releasing it that way.

I'm going to listen to the one version of the album I can hold in my hands, not the one I like less which has no official release, thanks.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2022, 07:15:18 PM »
I'm going to listen to the one version of the album I can hold in my hands, not the one I like less which has no official release, thanks.
You mean the one on Score?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2022, 08:29:12 PM »
You mean the one on Score?

Did it not occur to you that I might listen to Score version differently because of how the band CHOSE to present it there? I was obviously talking about the 2002 studio version, which is notably a different recording.

If the band merged it on the studio album, I wouldn't listen to isolated movements. Because the band were so accomodating to my preferences though, I do. I struggle to see how that makes me wrong when it's literally an intended feature on that version of the song.

And just to be clear, I didn't claim it was eight songs. It's one song officially that's split across eight audio files which I sometimes listen to in sequence and sometimes don't (much like an album). But I acknowledge that the band intended to split it into eight parts when they weren't forced to, meaning they've at least given some consideration to the idea of them being separated.

So no, I don't care what word they use to describe it. I just think this conjecture is arbitrary semantics when considering that splitting the tracks gives functionally the same result.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2022, 08:47:34 PM »
And just to be clear, I didn't claim it was eight songs.
So why are we even having this conversation then? Wim posted that it was separate songs. Bosk said it was not. I backed up what Bosk stated with quotes from MP's FAQ. And then you started getting involved arguing against what Bosk and I posted. It's either one song or it's eight songs. And the band - as you have acknowledge - says it's one song. So again, why are you arguing against a fact you claim to agree with?  ???

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2022, 09:24:17 PM »
And just to be clear, I didn't claim it was eight songs.
So why are we even having this conversation then? Wim posted that it was separate songs. Bosk said it was not. I backed up what Bosk stated with quotes from MP's FAQ. And then you started getting involved arguing against what Bosk and I posted. It's either one song or it's eight songs. And the band - as you have acknowledge - says it's one song. So again, why are you arguing against a fact you claim to agree with?  ???

I was giving my perspective on how I listen to SDOIT while explaining why I felt it was justified - a perspective which I hadn't seen expressed in the thread and thought might give some nuance to the conversation. My post wasn't an argument against anyone (in fact I did say "it's officially one song" in that post, implying I agreed). I only got defensive afterwards because I thought you were deliberately misrepresenting me.

It's one song, split into eight, but because of that split I interpret each movement individually, and I don't think that necessarily wrong because the band chose to split it for the explicit purpose of people listening to them individually.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2022, 01:52:40 AM »
(quotes taken from this thread but moved here, because discussion probably belongs here)

I think it's a matter of picking a line to draw, and there are a lot of options within a range for where a person chooses to draw the line.

Personally, I tend to draw the line at 15:00, so ANTR is, and TMOLS isn't. But I could see drawing the line at 14 or at 17 or whatever.
The line here is usually 20-ish (or almost), that's why TCOT is being considered. IT is also longer because of the hidden part at the end, it would be around the same length as Count otherwise.

But why make the completely arbitrary cutoff point at exactly 15:00? TMOLS is literally only 3 seconds shorter. Does that seriously make the difference between it being an epic or not? 15 (or 20) minutes is a nice round figure, but music doesn't work in absolute numbers. Saying 'everything over 15:00 is an epic' is a very systematic, and dare I say narrow, way of looking at music, because '15 minutes' (or any other fixed time limit) is meaningless in music in general. Furthermore, music can be played faster or slower than on studio recordings: the TMOLS we have on Systematic Chaos is just a 'version' of that song, the one released on Chaos in Motion is actually 15:22. Is it an epic now? See how choosing a time-limit doesn't really make sense?

Taking another Dream Theater example. The version of Beyond this Life is stretched to almost 20 minutes, about 80% longer than it's studio counterpart. It's extended by making the instrumental part longer, again creating a different version of the same song. Is it an epic now that it's suddenly 4 minutes over the 15:00 limit, instead of 3,5 minutes short?

Personally, I think that looking at song structure and how different parts contribute to a whole makes more sense in trying to define whether a song is an epic or not. There is no set definition to what an 'epic' is, but if we take some of the great prog epics of the past as examples (Close to the Edge, Hemispheres, Supper's Ready etc.), then to me Dream Theater has 4 epics (A Change of Seasons, Octavarium, Illumination Theory, A View From the Top of the World)* and a bunch of really long songs. The reason I list these four and no others, is that they go through different movements and completely change the atmosphere accordingly. They don't really have many repeating parts, they list a continuing story, although fragmented, or parts of a larger whole, rather than something literal. And if it is something literal, it needs to involve a struggle of some sorts; a narrative arc consisting of a beginning, a journey and a resolution. That said, I realise this conflicts with what I said before and the fact that there's no set definition of what an epic is, makes it really difficult to discuss this properly. Thinking about what I just wrote and why I wrote that, I realise that drawing the line anywhere is going to be arbitrary and a case could be made for other songs as well I suppose (for example Trial of Tears, TMOLS and A Nightmare to Remember), but drawing the line based on a completely unmusical feature like mere 'song length' is definitely not something I can get on board with, because ultimately that's about as meaningless as for example the song's placement on the album.

*which was my answer earlier in this thread.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 02:04:00 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2022, 01:57:46 AM »
To me, an epic is defined by a single song with individual movements. So, to me, yes, Sox Degrees counts, even if it’s separated into tracks as well. The thing is, by this count, I don’t have TCOT, but I do have one song that’s overlooked a lot in this thread, maybe two. I have a total of 8 for my count.

The Killing Hand (broken into 5. The Observance, Ancient Renewal, The Stray Seed, Thorns and Exodus)
A Change of Seasons (broken into 7. Crimson Sunrise, Innocence, Carpe Diem, The Darkest of Winters, Another World, The Inevitable Summer and Crimson Sunset)
Trial of Tears (broken into 3. It’s Raining, Deep in Heaven and The Wasteland)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (detached and broken into 8. Overture, About to Crash, War Inside My Head, Test That Stumped Them All, Goodnight Kiss, Solitary She’ll, About to Crash (Reprise), Losing Time/Grand Finale)
Octavarium (Broken into 5. Someone Like Him, Medicate, Full Circle, Intervals and Razor’s Edge)
In the Presence of Enemies (Detached into 2, broken into 5. Prelude, Resurrection, Heretic, The Slaughter of the Damned, The Reckoning and Salvation)
Illumination Theory (broken into 5. Pardoxe de la Lumiere Noire, Live Die Kill, The Embracing Circle, The Pursuit of Truth and Surrender Trust and Passion)
And now A View From the Top of the World (broken into 3. The Crowning Glory, Rapture of the Deep and The Driving Force)

Problem is, technically all the 12 Step Suite would count as epics under this as well, since each is broken into at least 2 movements, representing each step of recovery. This makes it tricky to balance. 12 Step is a suite, but by my definition, it’s a suite of epics?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2022, 05:15:20 AM »
Interesting point of view Bosk and thanks for the Portnoy-phrase Scotty. I would have wished they put Six Degrees out as a single piece, although either way I consider it to be an epic. At home, listening to the vinyl, it is always a full listen to me.

But on live recordings like Budokan (War Inside My Head & The Test That Stumped Them All and Goodnight Kiss later on) and more recently About to Crash, they picked seperate parts of the song insteed of playing the whole piece. Although as much can be said over splitting A Change of Seasons on Once In a Livetime... only playing the first part of In the Presence of Enemies and smoothing The Razor's Edge in a medley, I can't imagine they only play a part of The Count or Illumination Theory, or A View.

Surprising to me however is that The Count of Tuscany is the only epic where they did not split it in different sections. Even The Killing Hand has different sections, so that is interesting, as well.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2022, 07:22:51 AM »
I can't imagine they only play a part of The Count or Illumination Theory, or A View.
Considering that JP hates medleys, you're right. But if MP was still in the band, chances are there would've been occasions where they included parts of different epics in medley form.

Surprising to me however is that The Count of Tuscany is the only epic where they did not split it in different sections. Even The Killing Hand has different sections, so that is interesting, as well.
You might find it interesting to know that originally ACoS wasn't split into different sections. It was only when they updated it in 1995 that they titled the different sections.

Online Kram

« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2022, 10:14:19 AM »
ALSO - has anyone worked out how long all those 7 epics would run to ?

I'mma do it now and report back.

1. A Change Of Seasons : 23 mins
2. Six Degrees : 42 mins
3. Octavarium : 24 mins
4. In The Presence Of Enemies : 25.6 mins
5. The Count Of Tuscany : 19.25 mins
6. Illumination Theory : 22.25
7. A View From The Top Of The World : 20.5

Total : 176 mins 40 seconds. Give or take.

2 mins 20 seconds shy of 3 hours.
Could you imagine if they did "En Evening With" tour and this was the set-list?  Talk about epic..

Set 1:
In The Presence Of Enemies
The Count Of Tuscany
Illumination Theory

Set 2:
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
A View From The Top Of The World
Octavarium

Encore:
A Change Of Seasons

It would be an amazing concert for sure. A 3CD album with just 7 songs... who are they, Transatlantic??

-Marc.
I want to revisit this idea as I think they should consider it.  Call it "An Evening with Dream Theater: The Epics"  Would be highly attended IMO.  We could play with the running order, but would be the most amazing show if you ask me.

Offline 425

« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2022, 12:10:17 PM »
(quotes taken from this thread but moved here, because discussion probably belongs here)

I think it's a matter of picking a line to draw, and there are a lot of options within a range for where a person chooses to draw the line.

Personally, I tend to draw the line at 15:00, so ANTR is, and TMOLS isn't. But I could see drawing the line at 14 or at 17 or whatever.
The line here is usually 20-ish (or almost), that's why TCOT is being considered. IT is also longer because of the hidden part at the end, it would be around the same length as Count otherwise.

But why make the completely arbitrary cutoff point at exactly 15:00? TMOLS is literally only 3 seconds shorter. Does that seriously make the difference between it being an epic or not? 15 (or 20) minutes is a nice round figure, but music doesn't work in absolute numbers. Saying 'everything over 15:00 is an epic' is a very systematic, and dare I say narrow, way of looking at music, because '15 minutes' (or any other fixed time limit) is meaningless in music in general. Furthermore, music can be played faster or slower than on studio recordings: the TMOLS we have on Systematic Chaos is just a 'version' of that song, the one released on Chaos in Motion is actually 15:22. Is it an epic now? See how choosing a time-limit doesn't really make sense?

Taking another Dream Theater example. The version of Beyond this Life is stretched to almost 20 minutes, about 80% longer than it's studio counterpart. It's extended by making the instrumental part longer, again creating a different version of the same song. Is it an epic now that it's suddenly 4 minutes over the 15:00 limit, instead of 3,5 minutes short?

Personally, I think that looking at song structure and how different parts contribute to a whole makes more sense in trying to define whether a song is an epic or not. There is no set definition to what an 'epic' is, but if we take some of the great prog epics of the past as examples (Close to the Edge, Hemispheres, Supper's Ready etc.), then to me Dream Theater has 4 epics (A Change of Seasons, Octavarium, Illumination Theory, A View From the Top of the World)* and a bunch of really long songs. The reason I list these four and no others, is that they go through different movements and completely change the atmosphere accordingly. They don't really have many repeating parts, they list a continuing story, although fragmented, or parts of a larger whole, rather than something literal. And if it is something literal, it needs to involve a struggle of some sorts; a narrative arc consisting of a beginning, a journey and a resolution. That said, I realise this conflicts with what I said before and the fact that there's no set definition of what an epic is, makes it really difficult to discuss this properly. Thinking about what I just wrote and why I wrote that, I realise that drawing the line anywhere is going to be arbitrary and a case could be made for other songs as well I suppose (for example Trial of Tears, TMOLS and A Nightmare to Remember), but drawing the line based on a completely unmusical feature like mere 'song length' is definitely not something I can get on board with, because ultimately that's about as meaningless as for example the song's placement on the album.

I should clarify: I think there are multiple ways of thinking about this, multiple ways of categorizing songs, partly because there are not bright, clear lines laid down by reality itself or anything like that. I'll quote another post of mine from the same thread that goes into another way I break down Dream Theater's long songs:

Another way I categorize them when I'm thinking about Dream Theater specifically (the 15:00 mark is one I use across all artists) is to think about "classes" of songs. I think DT's longest songs break down into a few categories:

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is in a category of its own, being basically an album-length song.

A Change of Seasons, Octavarium and In the Presence of Enemies are a category of multipart songs with a lot of variety that greatly exceed the 20-minute mark.

The Count of Tuscany, Illumination Theory and A View from the Top of the World are long songs with a little less variety and less clear division into sections than the four longer ones, which fall close to the 20-minute mark.

The Ministry of Lost Souls and A Nightmare to Remember are more like long versions of typical DT songs, both falling close to the 15-minute mark.

And then the next category, which has a lot of songs, would be the 12-14 minute class.

What I'm doing here is pointing both to length and to structural elements of the songs. There are multiple axes of measurement here, including length and a number of structural and musical factors. And there are gradations along those axes, not sharp divisions.

For example, let's take the new one, which I've put in the middle category. It's closer in length to A Change of Seasons than it is to A Nightmare to Remember, and it has a more clearly defined set of distinct sections, which make it seem like it belongs in a category with ACoS while ANTR belongs in another category. On the other hand, it has a lot of structural similarities to ANTR, including being divided into three sections with a lot of shared themes between them. This is unlike ACoS, where the sections are really distinct and there's not a lot of shared melodic content from one section to another. So this suggests that maybe all three belong in the same category, with a range within them along a number of axes but basically placing ANTR at one end and ACoS at the other.

But then, as you rightly point out, what's really the difference between ANTR and TMOLS? Both of them have the three major sections, and ANTR really isn't that much longer—it's closer to TMOLS in length than it is to AVFTTOW. And then from there, why can't we bring in Trial of Tears, which you can compare to TMOLS in much the same way as you can compare TMOLS to ANTR? The point is that there are no bright, clear lines, only gradations. And when you want to take a subset of songs to talk about them together, you have to draw a line in a place where it might be difficult to see a huge difference on either side of the line. It's sort of like how we have to draw a line to determine when teenagers are legally able to drive, even though there is not a lot of difference between 15 years, 10 months and 16.

I don't think that this works to establish a bright, clear line:

Personally, I think that looking at song structure and how different parts contribute to a whole makes more sense in trying to define whether a song is an epic or not. There is no set definition to what an 'epic' is, but if we take some of the great prog epics of the past as examples (Close to the Edge, Hemispheres, Supper's Ready etc.), then to me Dream Theater has 4 epics (A Change of Seasons, Octavarium, Illumination Theory, A View From the Top of the World)* and a bunch of really long songs. The reason I list these four and no others, is that they go through different movements and completely change the atmosphere accordingly. They don't really have many repeating parts, they list a continuing story, although fragmented, or parts of a larger whole, rather than something literal. And if it is something literal, it needs to involve a struggle of some sorts; a narrative arc consisting of a beginning, a journey and a resolution.

(Leaving aside the SDOIT debate) For one thing, why is A View from the Top of the World in and The Count of Tuscany out? The Count of Tuscany goes through different movements and completely changes the atmosphere accordingly just as much as A View does. It doesn't have many repeating parts. It lists a continuous story that involves a struggle with beginning, journey and resolution. Is it because there are no formally numbered movements? That seems like it would be even more problematic of a division than length—you'd have to exclude Alive Again by The Neal Morse Band from being an epic if that was the criterion, even though that's a 26-minute song with a really clear division into sections.

I'm not saying this is an invalid way of classifying songs, but I just don't think it's an inherently better one than the one I proposed earlier or even length.

Now, to address the cases in which I do use length, since you criticized that and I don't want to seem like I'm backing off of that entirely in favor of the division I quoted from my other post:

I think it makes sense to have a classification of a particular artist's songs and a different, more general system of classifying songs across artists. With a particular artist like Dream Theater, we can look at their style of songwriting and find that generally if they write a song longer than 20 minutes, it will have these distinct sections, and the sections will be less distinct as songs get shorter, and make a division based on that like the one I proposed earlier (or like the more limited one you proposed, though I would not use it myself due to the exclusion of SDOIT and TCOT).

For example, I have a different classification of Iron Maiden songs. They're much less proggy than DT, and they only have one song over 15 minutes. I could go into a similar sequence of multiple categories for them like I did above for DT, but if we just asked what I consider an "Iron Maiden epic," I would include a lot of songs that are like 9-12 minutes in length and no more divided into clear sections than a typical 9-12 minute DT song. But I would never call a 9-12 minute DT song a DT epic. Different artists call for different divisions because the set of songs is different and the style is different.

This is where my 15-minute rule comes in. There are times when I want to think about all the very long songs or epics that I'm familiar with, across a bunch of artists. In this case, there are so many differences in style and context that it would be difficult to get in and start sorting them out according to a very specific rule. Instead, I need to draw a numerical line. And 15 minutes makes sense to me, looking at the songs I'm familiar with. I want Close to the Edge on one side of the line and Trial of Tears on the other, because I'm trying to think about "songs like CttE" rather than "songs like ToT." At the boundary, there are questions you can ask, like "why should Graves by Caligula's Horse be included and In the Name of God be excluded?" and I wouldn't fight you if you said it should be 16 or 14, but 15 just captures all of the songs I want to talk about under that heading and not many of the ones I think of as maybe not belonging in that category.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2022, 12:17:49 PM »
To me, it is never an exact science, but for me, it is easier to think of a long epic as a single song when it is one where it is difficult to pull the individual sections out on their own and have it sound right.  Songs/movements like War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All (when combining those two together) and Solitary Shell for example sound like songs. They have natural beginnings and endings, so it is easy to think of them as their own entities.  Contrarily, I cannot imagine listening to any of the parts from A Change of Seasons, A View from the Top of the World or Octavarium and thinking they sound like natural individual songs (without doing some clever editing in Audacity for example). 

Now, I know someone will ask me, "What about Rush's 2112?" Because that song has many sections literally start and stop, but to me that is a rare example of an epic that does sound like a single song despite the beginnings and endings, as it feels like that song is like watching a film where the camera moves from window to window and with each part with a new beginning, the camera shifts over and a new window opens for the new part.  That is how I look at that one.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2022, 01:11:43 PM »
Now, I know someone will ask me, "What about Rush's 2112?" Because that song has many sections literally start and stop, but to me that is a rare example of an epic that does sound like a single song despite the beginnings and endings, as it feels like that song is like watching a film where the camera moves from window to window and with each part with a new beginning, the camera shifts over and a new window opens for the new part.  That is how I look at that one.
How about The Fountain of Lamneth?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2022, 07:40:56 AM »
How about The Fountain of Lamneth?

That feels like the rough draft for what they mastered on 2112, from both a cohesive and storytelling standpoint.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2022, 12:14:00 PM »

I agree

Yes, and as others have noted it’s weird when a “song” has many different choruses; and very few re-occurring motifs other than ATC/ATC(R). Like literally the Overture has themes that are only revisited in certain movements and don’t cohesively tie the thing together like some of the other epics. My view anyway.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2022, 01:14:22 PM »
Then there’s the Score version that DOES list it as a single track.  :xbones
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2022, 04:26:08 PM »
The way I see 6DOIT turbulence being one song is, if it wasn't one song, the entire meta albums concept would not be possible. 6 Degrees has 6 songs, ToT has 7, and 8vm has 8.

Since 6DOIT is such a long song to play in full, they choose to play sections of the song.

For me, Score is based on the fact that 6DOIT got to be played in full and with an orchestra. That was the selling point of the Score release, besides them going through their entire career chronologically.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD