Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 142834 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #2065 on: February 16, 2022, 03:42:09 PM »
For me, IT is mixed.

Great...everything before the orchestral section, and what comes immediately after it.

Not...The orchestra section...WHY?? and the whole "You'll Never Know..." ending. I don't think James pulls that off. Compare it to the epic ending of Count..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #2066 on: February 16, 2022, 03:51:37 PM »
IMO - The Count kicks ass!  A View kicks ass! and IT is good, but not great.  That's my personal preference.  A View is the only one of these three though with a stunning middle section.  The other two's middle sections are let downs for me.  Much more so than A View's ending section is a let down comparatively - if that makes sense. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2067 on: February 16, 2022, 04:15:26 PM »
I like A View more than the other two (and ACOS!) :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2068 on: February 16, 2022, 04:19:18 PM »
I think it's awesome that DT, so far along in their career, can illicit this kind of response about their newest epic, when they have so many great ones already.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2069 on: February 16, 2022, 04:39:00 PM »
I think it's awesome that DT, so far along in their career, can illicit this kind of response about their newest epic, when they have so many great ones already.

Was thinking the same thing. There's no incorrect answer here.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2070 on: February 16, 2022, 08:52:33 PM »
Hmmm....

My ranking would be...

TCOT
A View From...
IT
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2071 on: February 16, 2022, 10:44:03 PM »
Both Illumination Theory and The Count are in my top 4 overall. A View might close the top 5 one day. It isn’t as bombastic or flamboyant as the other epics, but the groove, rhythm and time signatures feels much more complex. Can’t wait to experience this one live, as is most definetely will increase my appreciaton even more.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2072 on: February 17, 2022, 12:20:35 AM »
Interesting how the epics are so high up the charts for many. The only epic in a top 10 DT tunes list for me is Octavarium and it beats down ACOS, IT, TCOT and View then farts on their puny heads!  :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2073 on: February 17, 2022, 01:41:34 AM »
If SDOIT isn't considered an epic (and one of the greatest "song" of all times) :
Honestly I prefer octavarium and a change of season as epics.
TCOT is an excellent song but it has been stretchedAF, so for me it's an epic just because of that.
IT is nice but strangely assembled and cut, it doesn't flow, plus the horrendous pick chirping noises are killing my ears :D
A view is still a grower for me, movie intro is cool, the reprise after the quiet break around 13 minutes, with the huge drums break and the evil riff are in my favorite DT riffs ever :D, but overall it's maybe too homogeneous to me and not daring enough.

I don't think I'll see DT in france or italy, I don't even know if the shows will be held ^^!
I only saw youtube videos here and there this week, and oh man JLB sounds off, it's nearly painful.
When I saw them in milano in 2020 he sang fine after the first song until the end of scenes from a memory so I'm not saying it's long dated !
I know I&W anniversary tour was a little complicated.
But as for the pair of videos that have been uploaded, I hope it's just a matter of bad sound monitoring because he screams a lot and off key :s
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2074 on: February 17, 2022, 03:10:52 AM »
Interesting how the epics are so high up the charts for many. The only epic in a top 10 DT tunes list for me is Octavarium and it beats down ACOS, IT, TCOT and View then farts on their puny heads!  :lol
:rollin

In all seriousness though, my favorite DT epics are a three way tie for first place. Octavarium  , Illumination Theory,  and View.. 
I'll have to say though,  seeing Tuscany live was quite an experience!  Same goes for AVFTTOTW..
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 08:25:27 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2075 on: February 17, 2022, 06:52:41 AM »
I mean all seven epics are either at or towards the top of their respective album rankings for me.

1: Octavarium (my favorite song on Octavarium)
2: The Count of Tuscany (my favorite on Black Clouds & Silver Linings)
3: A Change of Seasons (the only original on the EP but it’s one of my favorites regardless)
4: A View From the Top of the World (my second favorite on A View From the Top of the World)
5: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (my favorite on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence)
6: In the Presence of Enemies (my second favorite on Systematic Chaos)
7: Illumination Theory (my second favorite on the self-titled album)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 08:41:17 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2076 on: February 17, 2022, 06:56:48 AM »
I don't dislike it, it's a good song for sure, but it's hard to rate it higher than The Count of Tuscany or Illumination Theory

It’s not better than Count, but it’s definitely better than Theory in my book.
Hard disagree.  Illumination Theory is the best of the 3, and View absolutely slays Tuscany.

I’ve always found Illumination Theory to be a weaker epic. What is it that stands out to you? Anything in particular, or is it “I just like it more”? Cause that’s totally understandable too.
For me, the composition and songwriting in IT is mature and some of the best in their catalogue, especially when married with the lyrics.  Conversely, I think the songwriting on Tuscany is kind of, I don't know, "less than", and the lyrics are just terrible.  Tuscany probably doesn't make my Top 100, while IT would be in or near my Top 10.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2077 on: February 17, 2022, 09:07:24 AM »
I mean all seven epics are either at or towards the top of their respective album rankings for me.

1: Octavarium (my favorite song on Octavarium)
2: The Count of Tuscany (my favorite on Black Clouds & Silver Linings)
3: A Change of Seasons (the only original on the EP but it’s one of my favorites regardless)
4: A View From the Top of the World (my second favorite on A View From the Top of the World)
5: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (my favorite on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence)
6: In the Presence of Enemies (my second favorite on Systematic Chaos)
7: Illumination Theory (my second favorite on the self-titled album)

There is a thread for this (although it doesn't list View, since it predated the latest album).  But here is mine:
1.  Six Degrees:  Will probably always be my favorite of the mega-epics.  There are a few parts that drag for me.  But I definitely subscribe to the "more is more" theory, and this song simply delivers more minutes of top-notch music, lyrics, and songwriting than anything else.  And the twist and the end tying it all up has always been a favorite DT moment.
2.  ACOS:  I kind of feel like I'm cheating because I'm cherry-picking the live performance from LSFNY in ranking it this high.  But the playing and the raw emotion bump that version up the rankings a bit for me. 
3.  Octavarium:  My appreciation of the song continues to grow all these years later.  It could easily be #2 on any given day.  I really hope to see it live some day. 
4.  View:  I really like this song.  It has the total package of great writing, playing, and lyrics.  Not that others don't, but this one just does it on a slightly better level than the ones ranked below it.
5.  ITPOE:  Fun blast of a song with lots of cool ideas.
6.  Illumination Theory:  Some really brilliant writing, but despite that I completely get why the middle section is there and feel that it contributes to the overall structure, it just makes the song lose all momentum in the execution and drags it down a bit.
7.  TCOT:  Despite great lyrics (don't listen to Hef--he doesn't know what he's talking about) and some great playing, this one comes in last, just because it is a bit less awesome than the other six.  And like IT, despite a beautiful middle section that is quite emotional and has some great playing, that middle section takes me out of the moment of the song and thus knocks it down a few points.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2078 on: February 17, 2022, 09:14:43 AM »
Off the cuff, I'd say Octavarium then Six Degrees, but I want to go back and listen to them again.  I might do a DT Epic Listening party later today.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2079 on: February 17, 2022, 09:17:25 AM »
8V
TCOT
AVOS
ITPOE
AVFTTOTW
IT
6Ds

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2080 on: February 17, 2022, 09:38:45 AM »
Off the cuff, I'd say Octavarium then Six Degrees, but I want to go back and listen to them again.  I might do a DT Epic Listening party later today.

I made a playlist on separated into four “discs” and got a pretty good running order. It’s tough since all seven songs are great closers, but the tracklist is as follows:

01: In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1
02: In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 2
03: The Count of Tuscany

04: A Change of Seasons
05: Illumination Theory

06: Overture
07: About to Crash
08: War Inside My Head
09: The Test That Stumped Them All
10: Goodnight Kiss
11: Solitary Shell
12: About to Crash (Reprise)
13: Losing Time/Grand Finale

14: A View From the Top of the World
15: Octavarium

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6QcIJzBWlT7ANrD3H75aNw?si=bizSDQMmSdOK_6XqJiS1Kw
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #2081 on: February 17, 2022, 11:13:19 AM »
I don't know where i would put the title track of View in amongst DT's epics yet but its climbing the list and the part from 5.10 to 6.33 is up with the best "minute plus" pieces of DT music for me that they have ever put out. Everything about it is perfect and the fact that 33 years after first hearing DT they can elicit that feeling from me is "Astonishing" (pardon the pun!)

Oh, and the drumming on the album as a whole is the equal of anything on a DT record ever imho!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2082 on: February 17, 2022, 12:00:43 PM »
don't listen to Hef--he doesn't know what he's talking about
Listen to bosk1 in all things.

Wait, what?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2083 on: February 17, 2022, 01:57:44 PM »
ACOS

8V
ITPOE
AVFTTOTW
IT

TCOT

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: February 17, 2022, 02:17:48 PM »
ACOS
8VM
TCOT
IT
AVFTTOTW
6 Degrees
ITPOE

Offline emtee

« Reply #2085 on: February 17, 2022, 03:35:59 PM »
I have zero problem with the ending. Consider this; TA is basically one monolithic epic, Disney'esque ending. So is every other epic. A change of pace is appealing to me.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #2086 on: February 17, 2022, 05:14:13 PM »
the part from 5.10 to 6.33 is up with the best "minute plus" pieces of DT music for me that they have ever put out.
It reminds me to the same vibe as LTL 3:10-4:01  :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: February 17, 2022, 09:18:08 PM »
Top Tier:
A Change of Seasons / 8VM

ITPOE

Next Tier:
AVFTTOTW

TCOT

IT

Bottom Tier:
Filing my 1040
6 Degrees
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2088 on: February 18, 2022, 04:00:10 AM »
Octavarium
A Change of seasons
In the presence of enemies
The Count of Tuscany
Six degrees of inner turbulence
Illumination theory
A View from the top of the world

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2089 on: February 18, 2022, 09:30:47 AM »
the part from 5.10 to 6.33 is up with the best "minute plus" pieces of DT music for me that they have ever put out.
Couldn't agree with you more! Love that section!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline 425

« Reply #2090 on: February 18, 2022, 12:05:55 PM »
It's still somewhat new for me, but I think AVFTTOW will end up ahead of Illumination Theory, but below The Count of Tuscany for me. It feels more cohesive than IT and has more parts that I really like, but I don't find it as grand as TCoT.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2091 on: February 18, 2022, 12:23:02 PM »
Let's not do this entire thing over again (especially since this isn't the thread for it) but seriously, if The Count of Tuscany is considered an 'epic' then why aren't The Ministry of Lost Souls and A Nightmare to Remember?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline 425

« Reply #2092 on: February 18, 2022, 12:31:22 PM »
I think it's a matter of picking a line to draw, and there are a lot of options within a range for where a person chooses to draw the line.

Personally, I tend to draw the line at 15:00, so ANTR is, and TMOLS isn't. But I could see drawing the line at 14 or at 17 or whatever.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2093 on: February 18, 2022, 12:38:42 PM »
The line here is usually 20-ish (or almost), that's why TCOT is being considered. IT is also longer because of the hidden part at the end, it would be around the same length as Count otherwise.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline 425

« Reply #2094 on: February 18, 2022, 12:48:08 PM »
Personally, I think of Illumination Theory as a 19-ish-minute song. Two minutes of silence don't really count in my book.

Another way I categorize them when I'm thinking about Dream Theater specifically (the 15:00 mark is one I use across all artists) is to think about "classes" of songs. I think DT's longest songs break down into a few categories:

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is in a category of its own, being basically an album-length song.

A Change of Seasons, Octavarium and In the Presence of Enemies are a category of multipart songs with a lot of variety that greatly exceed the 20-minute mark.

The Count of Tuscany, Illumination Theory and A View from the Top of the World are long songs with a little less variety and less clear division into sections than the four longer ones, which fall close to the 20-minute mark.

The Ministry of Lost Souls and A Nightmare to Remember are more like long versions of typical DT songs, both falling close to the 15-minute mark.

And then the next category, which has a lot of songs, would be the 12-14 minute class.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2095 on: February 18, 2022, 12:53:31 PM »
Funny, when I did my ranking last night I toyed with the idea of throwing in a few other songs that are pretty damn long but weren't included in the other rankings.  I opted not to for consistency sake, but like 425 said, it's all about where you draw the line.  There may be some consensus of the 15 minute mark, but I can see why maybe a 14 minute song is considered an epic. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2096 on: February 18, 2022, 01:30:21 PM »
Let's not do this entire thing over again (especially since this isn't the thread for it) but seriously, if The Count of Tuscany is considered an 'epic' then why aren't The Ministry of Lost Souls and A Nightmare to Remember?

They are.  But a lot of times, when people mention Dream Theater "epics," they are talking about the ones that approach or exceed and the 20 minute mark.  As 425 put it, it's just a matter of just picking where to draw the line. 

There's some good discussion on that topic in this thread (which you participated in):  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56968.0
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2097 on: February 19, 2022, 01:53:04 AM »
Thanks for linking to that thread again, I took my response to that thread :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2098 on: March 01, 2022, 07:06:13 PM »
I’m still listening to this pretty regularly. I maintain that the songwriting, drums, bass, and keys are very strong and only 2 things prevent it from being a top-tier effort for me: if James’ vocals were 20% more dynamic and JP’s rhythm tone sounded 20% more natural/crunchy and less processed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2099 on: March 01, 2022, 07:13:07 PM »
I’m still listening to this pretty regularly. I maintain that the songwriting, drums, bass, and keys are very strong and only 2 things prevent it from being a top-tier effort for me: if James’ vocals were 20% more dynamic and JP’s rhythm tone sounded 20% more natural/crunchy and less processed.

The vocal tracks feel so processed. You could probably achieve the 20% by simply removing the sludge around the vocals.