Author Topic: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist  (Read 38472 times)

Offline jadiggerdt

Re: Lost Not Forgotten Archives Wishlist
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2021, 01:05:26 AM »

The Lost Not Forgotten Archives – Opening Soon - Dream Theater  lostnotforgottenarchives.dreamtheater.net › :metal

http://https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:veeuBHmDwzMJ:https://lostnotforgottenarchives.dreamtheater.net/blogs/news+&cd=5&hl=no&ct=clnk&gl=no

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2021, 02:01:46 AM »
The Astonishing live BlueRay (if there is no live footage use what was on the screens)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2021, 04:04:01 PM »
A short list:

- A TA show, video preferably, but audio would be fine
- A full BC&SL show, audio or video
- The Ronnie Scott's '95 gig

Lastly, although probably not a candidate for this project, I'd love a complete Roseland 2000 video in 5.1, minus the video animation.  The DVD release was good, but could have been so much better.

Just my two cents.

DanLore

That'll work.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2021, 02:29:58 PM »
First, everything that was already on YJR, including all the out-of-print stuff.

Plus some re-released fan club CDs:
- Cleaning Out The Closet
- Graspop Festival 2002
- Progressive Nation 2008

And also:
- A show from the 30th anniversary tour. (With video if possible)
- The Astonishing Live. (Again, with video if possible)
- Budokan 2017.
- The Distance Over Time demos

And, if they have an agreement that will allow them to release new material using stuff from Mike Portnoy's archives:

Video:
- A compilation of pre-I&W touring; a couple of Chris Collins era tracks (I would opt for Cry For Freedom, Afterlife, and YtseJam), but mainly Charlie Dominici era stuff (including A Vision, To Live Forever, Metropolis, and if they have video, The Crimson Sunrise and The Darkest Of Winters). If they have video of it, maybe some stuff from one of their two instrumental gigs from 1990, to top it all off? Perhaps do it like 5 Years and Chaos In Motion where it's presented with documentary segments to put it in context... Maybe include a segment from the famous Majesty basement tape? It would probably end up a little similar to the I Can Remember When documentary, but the critical thing here would be that every song is presented in its entirety, and it would cover songs that documentary skipped over (A Vision and the two parts of Change Of Seasons).
- The entirety of the filmed Tokyo 1993 show that was put on their first live video release.
- The entirety of the Once In A Livetime show.
- The Rotterdam '98 fan club show. (Ideally complete. I would be very disappointed if they cut any of the banter)
- The complete Lives Scenes From New York show, in HD. (Though this would probably be better off as a mainline release; I know it was shot on film, so a HD version could be created. Maybe they could do both that and Score?)
- The entire Romavarium show.
- The BC&SL video compilation that Portnoy was originally going to do in the planned-but-abandoned final round of YtseJam bootlegs.
- Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress. (He did film a show for potential future use. If DT and MP have an agreement to use his material for the Lost Not Forgotten Archives, this would be a fun one)

Audio:
- An I&W compilation release, featuring a version of every song played on the tour (plus jams like Slow Motion and Moon Bubbles). Ideally would largely include recordings we haven't heard before, such as the tracks cut from Live At The Marquee, and A Change Of Seasons from the Bonn, Germany show. (Bootlegs won't cover you on those last two; full bootlegs do circulate of both shows, but the quality is unimaginably shit. Do not bother seeking them out! :lol)
- A compilation of the December 1995 "Home for the holidays" shows
- A compilation of the December 1998 "Intimate evening" shows (or the 1998-12-30 whole show that MP wanted to release in the cancelled final round of YtseJam bootlegs)
- The entire 2004-04-03 show (the one where Eugene Friesen joined the band on cello).
- Falling Into Infinity: Definitive Edition (the original album tracks except mastered with more dynamic range, and the album versions of You Not Me, Hollow Years, Burning My Soul, Hell's Kitchen, Take Away My Pain, and Anna Lee are relegated to bonus tracks, with remixed/remastered demos replacing them, along with all the cut tracks included in similar quality to how they were on Cleaning Out The Closet. Presumably with a new track order, and all mixed/mastered in such a way as to create as much consistency as possible between different sets of recordings. Also, the Metropolis Pt. 2 demo is not included, because it doesn't count :P)

That last one is pretty much pure wishful thinking on my part (and tbh who knows if MP really will open up his archives again, so that's wishful thinking too), but hey, a man can Dream.

But to be honest, much as I have a huge wishlist, I'm sure whatever they do will be awesome. I imagine they most likely will port over everything that was on YJR, hopefully make it all digitally available this time, and throw in a handful of new things from what the band have at their disposal. And that's not a bad thing at all; there were a good few YJR releases I never got, and there's some awesome stuff they could do with what they currently have.
So, don't be deceived by my rather enormous, fanboyish laundry list; I'm quite excited for this, whatever form it takes. :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:40:45 PM by Robo4900 »
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2021, 10:23:47 AM »
Both LTE shows on Bluray or dvd.  LA and New York. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2021, 06:21:20 AM »
Would love for the full 2004/04/03 show that Robo mentioned to be released. Not only was it my first proper concert, but it's a hell of a setlist

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2004/the-theater-at-madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-7bd6d234.html
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2021, 08:29:58 AM »
Would love for the full 2004/04/03 show that Robo mentioned to be released. Not only was it my first proper concert, but it's a hell of a setlist

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2004/the-theater-at-madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-7bd6d234.html

That would be a great release.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2021, 02:49:37 PM »
I wonder if there is a recording of the 1994 Berklee School of Music show, which was my first DT show.  Would be nice to own that for posterity and it was a meaningful milestone for the band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2021, 04:15:37 PM »
I wonder if there is a recording of the 1994 Berklee School of Music show, which was my first DT show.  Would be nice to own that for posterity and it was a meaningful milestone for the band.

I have always thought that show would make the perfect Ytsejam show. Thankfully I recorded the show. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2021, 09:32:59 AM »
Since I think this will be mostly focused on MM era material (at first, at least), it'd be really cool if they went with the same approach they had for the Happy Holidays release from 2013: Compile all the tracks that were performed live by that lineup, that weren't included in their official live album and release them in one package.

So far, this lineup has played, but hasn't reased any live versions of the following songs: Afterlife, Don't Look Past Me, Burning My Soul, Hell's Kitchen, About to Crash, Panic Attack, Constant Motion, Wither, The Bigger Picture, Behind the Veil and all of TA.*

There's just enough material for a great live tracks compilation imo. And they could do one dedicated TA live release, and the rest of the tracks I listed amount to a solid 1 hour set for another release :metal

*They apparently said they were going to release the IAW part of the Budokan 2017 show, so that's why I didn't include some IAW tracks + ACOS in the list.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2021, 09:45:17 AM »
Since I think this will be mostly focused on MM era material (at first, at least), it'd be really cool if they went with the same approach they had for the Happy Holidays release from 2013: Compile all the tracks that were performed live by that lineup, that weren't included in their official live album and release them in one package.

So far, this lineup has played, but hasn't reased any live versions of the following songs: Afterlife, Don't Look Past Me, Burning My Soul, Hell's Kitchen, About to Crash, Panic Attack, Constant Motion, Wither, The Bigger Picture, Behind the Veil and all of TA.*

There's just enough material for a great live tracks compilation imo. And they could do one dedicated TA live release, and the rest of the tracks I listed amount to a solid 1 hour set for another release :metal

*They apparently said they were going to release the IAW part of the Budokan 2017 show, so that's why I didn't include some IAW tracks + ACOS in the list.

Do we know this?  (Honest question; I still haven't heard any of the interviews where the original commitment was made or referenced).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2021, 10:11:40 AM »

Do we know this?  (Honest question; I still haven't heard any of the interviews where the original commitment was made or referenced).

They haven't said anything about that, that's why I said "I think". It'd be just easier for them to dive into the stuff they already have in storage from the past 10 years, as opposed to something with MP in it, which, as far as I know, he was the one who kept all those files, not the other guys.

TL;DR: Just speculation on my part :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »

That would be neat as well. I think they used the Christmas Song to test the waters to see just how many will pay and download if they go the Bandcamp route for Ytsejam style releases.

Actually, now I think about it more, it could be exactly what they did. Why would you have a website, when there is a service that allows you to sell songs and let's customers choose the price, especially for rare stuff like these Official Bootlegs.

I just hope they also decide to sell physical copies as well, and not just go digital only.

That compilation you suggested would be a fantastic first full on Lost Not Forgotten Archives release.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2021, 11:29:39 AM »
That was fine for the 2013 Fan Club release, but please no for anything from here on out. If they're gonna release live recordings, let them be of full shows. Not a fan of live compilations.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2021, 11:31:05 AM »
And they could do one dedicated TA live release...

Since they didn’t film any show, they should release it as a DVD, with the 3D animation of the history and characters showed during the shows along some great professional live photos from the tour.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »
That was fine for the 2013 Fan Club release, but please no for anything from here on out. If they're gonna release live recordings, let them be of full shows. Not a fan of live compilations.

Nor am I; I get it in extenuating circumstances, but not as a matter of course.  I'm also, I expect, in the minority in that I'm not thrilled with Bandcamp as the sole delivery system. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2021, 06:56:45 PM »
Yeah, I'd have zero interest in a Bukokan I&W set only.

And yet, I jumped all over WDADRu.

Plus we already have the Fan Club CD of the 15th anniversary show from Germany.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2021, 08:34:50 PM »

We do? I thought that was one of those rare items that not many people actually own(?)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2021, 10:13:16 PM »

We do? I thought that was one of those rare items that not many people actually own(?)

I have this. I signed up for the Voices UK Fan Club and actually got some of the later CDs and DVDs they released in real time. Damn, I miss this era of the band 2004-2009 were great years. I miss the Fan Club and Ytsejam releases. I'm on the edge of my seat for this Archive to start up.

Can't remember the last time I listened to the 2007 version of I&W because I don't think it was a great version. Maybe I'll listen to it soon, but I'd rather have the 2017 version (Budokan or otherwise) if they wanna package it up for me.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2021, 11:59:15 AM »
When did they say this?

I would be a bit disappointed to see just the I&W part without the first set.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2021, 12:41:46 PM »
When did they say this?

I would be a bit disappointed to see just the I&W part without the first set.

They said at the live Q&A they did after the Budokan stream earlier this year. (I didn't join the Q&A, but some people here did and posted about that).

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »
I don't remember them specifying the only I&W part, but I was only half paying attention.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2021, 04:29:22 PM »
but I was only half paying attention.

Well that works out because you're only getting half the concert. ;D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2021, 05:23:29 PM »
I'm also, I expect, in the minority in that I'm not thrilled with Bandcamp as the sole delivery system.
Has that ever been established as fact - that they're going the Bandcamp route from now on?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2021, 07:35:32 PM »
I'm also, I expect, in the minority in that I'm not thrilled with Bandcamp as the sole delivery system.
Has that ever been established as fact - that they're going the Bandcamp route from now on?

No. That is an assumption on my part. That's just based on the Christmas Song that was released to Bandcamp. For all we know, they could just make their own site for their stuff.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2021, 10:29:48 AM »

The Lost Not Forgotten Archives – Opening Soon - Dream Theater  lostnotforgottenarchives.dreamtheater.net › :metal

http://https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:veeuBHmDwzMJ:https://lostnotforgottenarchives.dreamtheater.net/blogs/news+&cd=5&hl=no&ct=clnk&gl=no
Now if you google Lost not forgotten archives Dream Theater, you get that URL: https://lostnotforgottenarchives.dreamtheater.net/collections/autograph-vinyl
Notice the end of the URL: autograph-vinyl. Sounds interesting, better start saving right now.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2021, 11:28:56 AM »
No. That is an assumption on my part. That's just based on the Christmas Song that was released to Bandcamp. For all we know, they could just make their own site for their stuff.
Then it's best not to go there. That's where potentially false information comes from - ASSumptions. Remember, to ASSume makes an ass out of u and me;)

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2021, 02:07:25 PM »
Then it's best not to go there. That's where potentially false information comes from - ASSumptions. Remember, to ASSume makes an ass out of u and me;)
:hat

It's not like it's out of the blue of nowhere in lollypop lane... :lol

My speculation they were using bandcamp was based off the christmas song and them mentioning Lost Not Forgotten Archives and thinking to myself, I wonder if they will use Bandcamp. If you took what I said as fact and not my opinion or speculation, isn't on my end.

But, as we got some good investigators, it's neat to see the links and the Archives coming to fruition. I can't wait regardless of how they decide to release these.

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2021, 08:10:56 PM »
One of the reasons I'm kinda sour on Petrucci (beyond him largely mailing it in in terms of songwriting for much of the last 15 years) is when MP left the band he emphatically stated Ytsejam would continue, with more content and support. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think a single release has been added since MP left. Further, many of the previous releases are no longer available. Why commit to providing fans with something then just ignore that commitment?

Now, maybe I'm wrong. Haven't followed DT nearly as much the last 15 years, but I do recall checking in on YR and generally finding the exact same offerings that were available when MP was running things. If so, I'll admit my ignorance.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2021, 07:27:39 AM »
One of the reasons I'm kinda sour on Petrucci (beyond him largely mailing it in in terms of songwriting for much of the last 15 years)
???
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2021, 09:35:50 AM »
when MP left the band he emphatically stated Ytsejam would continue, with more content and support.

Can you provide a link to any statement that supports this assertion?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2021, 09:58:40 AM »
One of the reasons I'm kinda sour on Petrucci (beyond him largely mailing it in in terms of songwriting for much of the last 15 years) is when MP left the band he emphatically stated Ytsejam would continue, with more content and support. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think a single release has been added since MP left. Further, many of the previous releases are no longer available. Why commit to providing fans with something then just ignore that commitment?

Now, maybe I'm wrong. Haven't followed DT nearly as much the last 15 years, but I do recall checking in on YR and generally finding the exact same offerings that were available when MP was running things. If so, I'll admit my ignorance.

They never added anything new, but kept it running for those that still wanted to purchase those albums.

I am guessing, they had agreed to a 10 year contract, that expired last year, this is just speculation on my part.

What they have done is release The Happy Holidays download which are the songs they played during Manginis first tour.

Also, we have to remember, Mike Portnoy was the only one that is a big fan of Bootlegs. Hence why he recorded every show, also for himself to document everything he has done. And the one to take the reigns to actually listen to the shows. If they wanted a dvd, to dig for the best possible video.

There's a lot that goes into releasing these types of Ytsejam releases.

It's why no one else does it that much, because they don't want to do all that work that goes along with it. Not everyone has the amount of energy and drive that Mike Portnoy has. And why I feel, Mike Portnoy spoils a lot of his fan base.

I myself, an looking forward to when they reveal The Lost Not Forgotten Archives and what is in them.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2021, 11:21:22 AM »
NudesSORRY! WRONG FORUM...

I'd like a BR of that show when they played Erotomania full of mistakes on purpose. Don't remember when and where.

I assume that's impossible, right?
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2021, 12:03:12 PM »

I'd like a BR of that show when they played Erotomania full of mistakes on purpose. Don't remember when and where.

Probably.

They might be able to do a DVD if someone happened to film it on a handheld camcorder, but you would never get Blu-ray-worthy video out of that.

But, even then, to do that at all they would probably need to talk to Mike Portnoy about getting a copy of it (plus the audio) from his archive.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2021, 12:17:28 PM »

Probably.

They might be able to do a DVD if someone happened to film it on a handheld camcorder, but you would never get Blu-ray-worthy video out of that.

But, even then, to do that at all they would probably need to talk to Mike Portnoy about getting a copy of it (plus the audio) from his archive.
Robo - do you know what show JK1969 is talking about? I don't remember ever hearing about that.