Poll

Def Leppard - Photograph vs. Whitesnake - Still of the Night?

Def Leppard - Photograph
10 (25%)
Whitesnake - Still of the Night
30 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Def Leppard - Photograph vs. Whitesnake - Still of the Night?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline WildRanger

Def Leppard - Photograph vs. Whitesnake - Still of the Night?
« on: January 02, 2021, 03:53:50 PM »
Signature tune by Def Leppard or Whitesnake?
What do you prefer and why?

Offline HOF

Re: Def Leppard - Photograph vs. Whitesnake - Still of the Night?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 05:21:20 PM »
I like both songs, but Photograph was more of a formative song in my rock fandom and one of the catchiest rock songs of all time IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 05:58:21 PM »
Still Of The Night is amazing. John Sykes kills on it, and I love Aynsley Dunbar on it too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 06:18:47 PM »
2 more songs I'd never heard (I like these polls you make WildRanger, they're creative). Having now listened to both I went with Def Leppard (I own one of their albums - Adrenalize, a childhood favourite; I know nothing of Whitesnake).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 06:48:44 PM »
Going with Photograph. At the time it came out it was a monster. It was fresh and it brought hard rock into the mainstream. At the same time SotN was when Whitesnake jumped the shark for me. I know it's when they became uber-popular, but as much as I love John Sykes I liked Whitesnake as a blues-rock band much more than as a hard rock band. Mickey Moody was the better guitarist for them, even if not in general.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 06:51:30 PM »
Going with Photograph. At the time it came out it was a monster. It was fresh and it brought hard rock into the mainstream. At the same time SotN was when Whitesnake jumped the shark for me. I know it's when they became uber-popular, but as much as I love John Sykes I liked Whitesnake as a blues-rock band much more than as a hard rock band. Mickey Moody was the better guitarist for them, even if not in general.

Even though I consider Whitesnake 1987 extremely overrated, Still Of The Night is such a beast of a song. I hear you about old school Whitesnake. I also didn't really like what they became, but SOTN is undeniable.

And there was no bigger Def Leppard fan me when Pyromania came out, but I was quite suspicious of Photograph.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 07:09:39 PM »
Photograph was so huge. I remember it dominated MTV's Friday Night Video Fights for like 10 weeks straight.  That said, it was never a song I loved. Always liked it, but that was it.

Still of the Night, meanwhile, slayed me from the start and it has held up well for me.  Easy vote.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 01:44:56 AM »
Both great songs, but Still of the Night is a beast! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 03:38:07 AM »
Still of the Night, easily.  Saying that, I'm not much of a DL fan but Photograph is a great song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 06:22:41 AM »
2 more songs I'd never heard (I like these polls you make WildRanger, they're creative). Having now listened to both I went with Def Leppard (I own one of their albums - Adrenalize, a childhood favourite; I know nothing of Whitesnake).

3 things:

1. Download Def Leppard's "High 'n' Dry"
2. Listen to it
3. You're welcome

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 06:24:51 AM »
As for the poll, I went with Whitesnake - they were the first band I ever saw live - Boston Garden, 1978 opening for Jethro Tull

Photograph is a good song, but that album was the beginning of the end of Def Leppard being a hard rock band.  They spent the next 20 years churning out syrupy ballads

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 07:22:12 AM »
Still of the Night.  Didn't even really have to think about it.  Dat intro  :metal
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 07:35:01 AM »
As for the poll, I went with Whitesnake - they were the first band I ever saw live - Boston Garden, 1978 opening for Jethro Tull

Pretty sure I have a bootleg of the Whitesnake set.

1. Download High n Dry

Yes, one of my favorite albums of all time.

Offline emtee

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 07:49:14 AM »
Whitesnake by miles. That album would be in my top 10 most spun albums of all time. It owned me during that period of time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 09:32:26 AM »

Even though I consider Whitesnake 1987 extremely overrated, Still Of The Night is such a beast of a song. I hear you about old school Whitesnake. I also didn't really like what they became, but SOTN is undeniable.

And there was no bigger Def Leppard fan me when Pyromania came out, but I was quite suspicious of Photograph.

This is pretty much me.   I got to see Def Leppard open for Billy Squier in '83.  Squier was good, but he couldn't hold back the juggernaut that was Def Leppard.  They may be the best opening act I've ever seen, if you think of "opening acts" in the traditional sense (up and comer playing for 40 minutes to warm up the crowd for the headliner, as opposed to just a band earlier on the bill on a festival or package tour).

I LOVED Pyromania at the time, but for some reason Photograph the song never clicked.   It was the exact opposite with Whitesnake; I LOVED Slide It In (still do; I have both versions) and was mostly disappointed with 1987, except for that song.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 09:44:26 AM »

This is pretty much me.   I got to see Def Leppard open for Billy Squier in '83.  Squier was good, but he couldn't hold back the juggernaut that was Def Leppard.  They may be the best opening act I've ever seen, if you think of "opening acts" in the traditional sense (up and comer playing for 40 minutes to warm up the crowd for the headliner, as opposed to just a band earlier on the bill on a festival or package tour).

I LOVED Pyromania at the time, but for some reason Photograph the song never clicked.   It was the exact opposite with Whitesnake; I LOVED Slide It In (still do; I have both versions) and was mostly disappointed with 1987, except for that song.

I remember that tour, and three months later Def Leppard would be my first concert.

I actually though Slide It In kind of blew. I hate the title track.

There's a couple good songs...Slow an' Easy, Love Ain't No Stranger, Standing In The Shadow, but I was really disappointed with it.

The only time I ever saw Whitesnake was opening for Motley Crue in 1987.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 10:34:41 AM »
Saw Whitesnake with Dokken. One hell of a show.  I love both songs and every time eith comes on random on my I-Pod or on Sirus Satellite I crank both.

Still of the Night just by a millimeter. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 10:35:28 AM »
Still OF The Night has real drums!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 10:36:51 AM »
So did Photograph. He had 2 arms back then.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 10:37:59 AM »
So did Photograph. He had 2 arms back then.

They used programmed drums for Pyromania, but at least the cymbal crashes are real.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 10:41:51 AM »
I think I remember that now. Twas the era.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2021, 10:48:07 AM »

Yeah, here's a couple of articles talking about it.

https://fullinbloom.com/kevin-shipley-on-the-making-of-def-leppards-pyromania-hysteria/

https://www.rocknrollinsight.com/2017/10/behind-scenes-of-recording-def-leppards.html

At least the drums on High n Dry are real. I'd be devastated to find out any different. One of the articles also mentions that Pete Willis does in fact play rhythm on most of the album. That's interesting.

Offline HOF

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2021, 02:30:07 PM »

https://fullinbloom.com/kevin-shipley-on-the-making-of-def-leppards-pyromania-hysteria/

https://www.rocknrollinsight.com/2017/10/behind-scenes-of-recording-def-leppards.html

At least the drums on High n Dry are real. I'd be devastated to find out any different. One of the articles also mentions that Pete Willis does in fact play rhythm on most of the album. That's interesting.

I learned about the programmed drums when I watched this video recently:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eokzYW1Xpg

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2021, 02:46:12 PM »
Yes I've seen Dennis Ward's video on this. He picks it right off.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 02:51:56 PM »
I would ask, who cares if the drums are real or not?  "Do they sound good and work for the song?" is what matters.  Are we going to dog bands next for using synthesizers (OMG, fake keyboard noises!!!)?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2021, 03:04:34 PM »
I would ask, who cares if the drums are real or not?  "Do they sound good and work for the song?" is what matters.  Are we going to dog bands next for using synthesizers (OMG, fake keyboard noises!!!)?

:chill

Just a couple of dudes talking....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 03:06:26 PM »
Alright, I'll just be...chilling. :coolio :coolio

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 03:17:54 PM »
Honestly, it's not the drums that separate Pyromania for me, it's the vocals.   On the first two, Joe is a rock singer, screaming and screeching (in the best possible way).  Very Bon Scott.   On Pyromania, the vocals started to become very processed (not the word I want, but you'll get my meaning) and it's been that way ever since.   Compare the chorus to "Let It Go" and "Photograph".   Even the ballad - Bringin' On The Heartbreak - wasn't as processed.   I saw Def Leppard with Kiss in 2014 and Rick Allen KILLED it.   Yeah, he may not be playing the same way as Mike Mangini, but he played every note in real time, and that's all I can ask of my rock bands.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 03:35:51 PM »
Honestly, it's not the drums that separate Pyromania for me, it's the vocals.   On the first two, Joe is a rock singer, screaming and screeching (in the best possible way).  Very Bon Scott.   On Pyromania, the vocals started to become very processed (not the word I want, but you'll get my meaning) and it's been that way ever since.   Compare the chorus to "Let It Go" and "Photograph".   Even the ballad - Bringin' On The Heartbreak - wasn't as processed.   I saw Def Leppard with Kiss in 2014 and Rick Allen KILLED it.   Yeah, he may not be playing the same way as Mike Mangini, but he played every note in real time, and that's all I can ask of my rock bands.   

So first off, what Rick Allen has accomplished, and the band's dedication to him is amazing. Full on props for that. I saw the Hysteria tour 3 or 4 times and I was mesmerized by his performance.

On Pyromania, I knew it was different right away. After the initial 6 months after the release and seeing them that June, Pyromania really faded for me, as I would be getting into heavier music. And you're right, "processed" is totally accurate.

I bought the deluxe edition (I never bothered to get it on CD) a few years ago because it had the live show from LA. The studio album is practically unlistenable to me, honestly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2021, 03:40:04 PM »
I totally get the processed vocals thing.  That is their Queen influence, but while the Queen big layered harmonies always sound natural, like it was 100 guys singing, the Def Leppard layered harmonies often had that processed sound.  The beginning of both Pour Some Sugar On Me and Rocket both featured layered harmonies that sound a bit too processed instead of sounding more natural, if you know what I mean.  I still like Rocket quite a bit, and acknowledge that the other is a good song (but one I never need to hear again), but the processed vocal thing totally makes sense.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2021, 03:41:37 PM »
Well, now you're talking Hysteria which fucking blows.

Offline HOF

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2021, 03:43:34 PM »

It doesn’t bother me. I already think of Def Leppard’s records primarily as studio productions. Not that they can’t play, but the way they layer tracks and process sounds gives their albums less of a live feel anyway (at least from Hysteria on). It’s part of what makes them them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2021, 03:45:37 PM »
And they (mostly) deliver them live in terms of performance.   I just don't like that chanting, gang-vocal sound they sometimes get.  Where it sounds like ten guys standing in front of a mic singing.  Queen never sounded like that.   AC/DC's backing vocals sometimes sound like that, and I don't like it there either.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »

Wow, I never knew this about the drums. So Rick's last album as a 2-armed man, he didn't even play drums on it. He just hit some cymbals.

Seeing this only makes me love The Early Years set that they put out earlier this year. That is the ultimate Def Lep set for me. I always thought Pyromania was the beginning of the end for me (with Hysteria being the end), but this cements it. I do like the album, but this dampens it some.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2021, 04:01:33 PM »
As far as I am aware, the Jim Steinman version of Hysteria has never seen the light of day. I would love to hear that.