Author Topic: LONELY ROBOT – announce new album ‘A Model Life’ (August 26th, 2022)  (Read 3378 times)

Online The Letter M

I'm not at all familiar with John's work, even though Arena and Frost* have been recommended to me over the years. I am, however, familiar with Kino and I especially enjoy their shorter, catchier songs. Is Lonely robot anything like that?

I'd say LR is closer to Kino than Frost*. Definitely check out the first album, 2015's Please Come Home, although every album is pretty good IMO. I've enjoyed the first four fairly equally. I've not listened to them in awhile though so I can't really recommend specific songs but if you look up which songs were released as pre-release singles, those might be good to check out as well. John's voice just has a soothing and calming quality than makes his music very easy to listen to.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I enjoyed the last one, but was very underwhelmed by Under Stars.

Anyone who wants more John Mitchell, check out his work with It Bites - those two albums are both very good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know how to feel. I love John's work in general, but the las two LR albums did not really catch my attention. Hopefully this one is more akin to the first 2 albums which I think are great.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Last LR album, the format started to feel a bit stale. All the albums are very similar structurally. All have 11 tracks, mainly ranging in the 4-6-minute range, with intro and outro tracks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Today, sees the launch of the albums first single, ‘Recalibrating’. Listen to the track now here: https://youtu.be/ajl_w8st2P4

John comments: “A post apocalyptic breakup...the world you once knew has burned to the ground like Nero’s Rome. The only thing for it is to move forward and reset your mind. To ‘recalibrate’ if you will.”

An album that brims with frustration at the state of things, while tugging remorselessly at the heart strings, A Model Life is plainly the most honest and vulnerable Lonely Robot record to date. From opener Recalibrating, which muses on the aftermath of a broken relationship, and Digital God Machine – a sardonic tribute to keyboard warriors everywhere, to the boys-don’t-cry pathos of Rain Kings and the absurdly moving, adoption-themed Duty Of Care, these new songs provide a scattershot but profoundly emotional soundtrack to a restless and uncertain world.
John comments: “Making ‘A Model Life’ was very much a lifeline and indeed wake up call at the end of a particularly personally challenging couple of years. Creating it made me realise that ultimately, life is impermanent and the one true thing that gives me a focus and anchor is and has always been music. Long may that be the case.”

The album will be available as Limited CD Digipak, Gatefold 2LP+CD & as Digital Album. Pre-order now here: https://LonelyRobot.lnk.to/AModelLife

The full track-listing is as follows:
1.    Recalibrating    00:05:02
2.    Digital God Machine    00:06:08
3.    Species In Transition    00:06:19
4.    Starlit Stardust    00:05:48
5.    The Island Of Misfit Toys    00:04:18
6.    A Model Life    00:05:27
7.    Mandalay    00:01:56
8.    Rain Kings    00:06:33
9.    Duty Of Care    00:06:24
10.    In Memoriam    00:05:53

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Watch the clip for ‘The Island of Misfit Toys’ here: https://youtu.be/mgVfWL-Qt7E

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
What the fuck did I just watch??
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I only just discovered John via my Arena discovery. Love his playing in Arena and I just watched the live show of The Visitor that they did in 2018. His playing reminded me a lot of Gilmour in how he is live. Rarely, if ever, looks at the fret board and plays on pure feel.

At some point I will venture into his other stuff. Just enjoying my Arena deep dive right now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online The Letter M

I only just discovered John via my Arena discovery. Love his playing in Arena and I just watched the live show of The Visitor that they did in 2018. His playing reminded me a lot of Gilmour in how he is live. Rarely, if ever, looks at the fret board and plays on pure feel.

At some point I will venture into his other stuff. Just enjoying my Arena deep dive right now.

Oh boy, I hope you find Kino and Frost* along your John Mitchell journey as well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!