Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 442400 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7665 on: March 16, 2021, 11:50:13 AM »
Getting my first shot at 10:30 am today. I'll report back on which brand.

Hope all went well with your vaccine.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7666 on: March 16, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7667 on: March 16, 2021, 06:14:49 PM »
Getting my first shot at 10:30 am today. I'll report back on which brand.

Hope all went well with your vaccine.

It was convenient and painless. Thank you for your concern. Pfizer.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7668 on: March 16, 2021, 07:14:49 PM »
Gregg, did Mrs Pods get hers as well?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7669 on: March 16, 2021, 07:35:24 PM »
Gregg, did Mrs Pods get hers as well?

Yes she did, Bud. She’s a little achy but otherwise fine.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7670 on: March 17, 2021, 08:45:44 AM »
Just got my first shot, pfizer

They told me the microchips will be activated on May 1st

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7671 on: March 17, 2021, 09:10:28 AM »
Just got my first shot, pfizer

They told me the microchips will be activated on May 1st

But how's the 5G reception?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7672 on: March 17, 2021, 09:41:46 AM »

It's awful, I had no signal on my subway ride to work.

I got it at the Javit Center in NYC. The entire process, from me walking into the building to having the shot in my arm, it took 14 minutes, then 15 min observation and I was out of the building in less than 30 minutes. Second shot scheduled for April 7th  :coolio

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7673 on: March 17, 2021, 09:44:15 AM »

Ah... must be better with Moderna then.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #7674 on: March 17, 2021, 09:50:46 AM »

Ah... must be better with Moderna then.   :lol

All I know is that ever since I got fully vaccinated with the Moderna I can turn myself into a hotspot. Quite convenient!  :hat

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7675 on: March 17, 2021, 09:53:29 AM »
I've been pretty pro vaccines at this point, but the astrazeneca has me a questioning this one a little.  One person died from blood clots, not confirmed yet to be due to the vaccine, but also the fact the US hasn't approved its use makes me question it.  My one friend who works in the field of medicine distribution (not the vaccines, but in general) had said a few months ago that his opinion was all the vaccines EXCEPT that one looked really solid.  Said they were a bit shady in their phase 3 trials (I don't remember specifics) so adding his opinion, US not approving yet, and one death makes me have some questions about that vaccine.  Also I read today, it has 0% efficacy against the south african variant which all the others offer some protection from.  If I had a choice, I would not get that vaccine at this point.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7676 on: March 17, 2021, 10:16:02 AM »
Astra Zeneca is in a hot mess in Europe right now - panic over a couple of deaths led many countries to suspend it while awaiting more tests from those agencies that certify this stuff.

I mean, I applaud an excess of caution, just in case, but the vaccine will suffer a severe blow in credibility and the distribution and vaccinations will slow down in a moment we can't afford for it to happen.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7677 on: March 17, 2021, 10:27:15 AM »
(Hello!! I'm busy!! Got a job online and then in meatspace - I work as an assistant child wrangler in kindergarten now.)

Just barging in to let you know the scoop with the AZ thing in Norway - the worrying thing is that days after taking the shots, four younger health workers got very unusual symptoms (not just blood clots, which occur a lot, particularly in women who take BC, but blood clots in combination with low platelet counts and haemorrhages) and one of them died. It could be anything, of course.

I don't know if I have lost my faith in that vaccine because of this because the verdict is still out. I have to look out because my dad died of DVT when he was 55, my uncle died of an aneurysm when he was 50 and my mom survived three burst aneurysms when she was 60, so the doctors recommended me and my siblings to start checking pretty much all of our veins starting at just 25 years old. That's that on one hand, on the other hand is that Norway designed to give the younger population this vaccine, and if it doesn't get out of the rotation now, I will have to take it in three or four months.

Situation here is pretty bleak and depressing. The capital and the surrounding areas have been on hard lockdown since December, but the new mutations of the virus are circulating freely in schools and kindergartens, where it's impossible to keep a distance and kids aren't mandated to wear masks. The state of public discourse regarding this situation is "but we can't sacrifice education and socialization to the pandemic" and "everyone who works there is young and healthy, they can wait their turn for the vaccine". So I kinda feel like I've been thrown to the lions alongside everyone working in education.

You kinda have to keep going and hope you're not one of the people who are still going to keep biting the dust as we vaccinate our way out of this mess. Some days it's not that easy, though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:55:55 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7678 on: March 17, 2021, 11:09:16 AM »
Good to see you, Mora; here's hoping it works out for you in a way you're comfortable with.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7679 on: March 17, 2021, 01:02:02 PM »
I would just keep in mind that over 17 million people have been vaccinated with Astrazenica's vaccine and there have been less than 100 cases of blood clots reported and there is no link yet established with the vaccine and these clots.  There have been 22 Pulmonary Embolisms and 15 DVTs reported so far.  That's 37 cases out of 17 million, meaning you have a 1 in 459,459 chance of having a clot of some kind. 

As a point of reference to this, you have about a 1 in 500,000 chance of being struck by lightning over the course of 1 year. 

The point being, it's not very likely, from a purely mathematical standpoint, that you will have an adverse reaction.  What are the odds that you are going to be that 1 person in nearly half a million people who has a bad reaction? 

I'm not trying to convince you to do anything other than look at it realistically.  Only YOU can know what odds you are comfortable with.  But I am going to go way out on a limb here and guess that you are not staying inside every day because you're too afraid of being struck by lightning, right?  Well, the odds of you getting sick from the vaccine are almost the same. 

Just something to consider when you make your decision.  :) 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7680 on: March 17, 2021, 01:07:06 PM »
So I kinda feel like I've been thrown to the lions alongside everyone working in education.

This seems to be a general consensus to many people working in education over here in the states as well.  Also being busy is good, and it's good to see you're still hanging in there and if you have any personal concerns regarding your health and the vaccine, use precaution.  I've made it fairly clear I'm pro vaccines here but I would never force it upon someone who has their own health concerns especially when one of these may not be as safe as thought.  (so far I have no reason to believe the others are unsafe and I'm just waiting on some more information on the death to see if it even truly is due to the vaccine)

And Kirk, I'm with you, the odds are still on our sides but if someone like Mora has some health conditions already, I wonder what the odds become then.  I'm sure it's still pretty good, but it might be a lot worse then the 1 in 459k and I would totally understand why someone would hold off. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7681 on: March 17, 2021, 01:21:12 PM »
The news that's being reported here in Canada is that global and European agencies are stating the rate of cases of blood clots is no higher than it would normally be seen from the general population, and there is no demonstrable correlation of the virus to blood clots.  Our National Advisory Council for vaccines has just approved it for use in >65 yrs old.  Mind you, that council also is allowing for 4-month intervals on the dual-dose vaccines (with the intent of getting the first dose to as many people as possible, as quick as possible. :facepalm:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7682 on: March 17, 2021, 01:39:31 PM »
Wow, so they're ignoring the protocol on the booster dose?  That's um, kind of dumb  :|

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7683 on: March 17, 2021, 01:44:19 PM »
I would lean to follow the protocols myself, but one shot does provide a lot of protection so the end result actually may not be too bad.  Only time will tell if that's a better approach.  If Canada's supply is very low, maybe, it makes sense as some things I've read said it's safe to delay the second shot.  Also, it seems there's a large amount of people who flat out aren't going back for the second dose so it's a good thing the first one actually does provide some protection.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7684 on: March 17, 2021, 02:12:37 PM »
I'm not that afraid of the numbers of blood clots, since they're really low statistically speaking. I'm afraid that they're going to say that the freaky thing that happened to those health workers was tied to the vaccine, that it was a freak accident or something wrong with one single batch or something, and that they will fix it and be more careful from now, because then I won't have any choice but to trust them and take it, but I'll be scared all along.

I'm very pro-vaccine, and pro-any vaccine - most of us outside the US won't be getting the fancy super effective vaccines like Pfizer or Moderna, and I'll likely end up needing a booster shot for the SA variant or something. Same with the folks I know in Serbia, who are getting vaccinated en-masse with the Chinese Sinopharm (which only reaches 80% effectiveness in most studies) and Russian Sputnik V, and they're worried that this means they won't get the super sophisticated protection and that they'll get bugged while crossing borders because those two manufacturers aren't seeking to be approved to be in the EU. But you don't get your shots to go to the Greek seaside without having to show them a negative test, or to be protected from any eventuality, you get the shots to stay out of the hospital if shit hits the fan and the virus is still circulating and you do get infected.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7685 on: March 17, 2021, 02:15:29 PM »
Wow, so they're ignoring the protocol on the booster dose?  That's um, kind of dumb  :|

It had been reported that the UK did it this way to try and get their variant strain under control a couple months back.  And as Marc said, our supply is a disaster.  We have manufacturers here, so we're 100% reliant on imports from Europe and India.  And we already know that Europe is willing to block exports if need be - they did it to Australia.

We went 2 weeks without any Pfizer shipments in February.  It's supposed to get better in the coming weeks/months, which is the logic behind delaying the 2nd dose.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7686 on: March 17, 2021, 02:21:50 PM »
I hope we (The USA) are able to help Canada out at some point.  The projections I've seen indicate that we're going to have more than a 100-million-dose surplus based on what's already on hand and what's on order, so maybe in a few months when we're closing in on herd immunity our government will be willing to start helping out other countries who have shortages.  I'm all for it.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7687 on: March 17, 2021, 02:22:20 PM »
I received my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Monday morning. The nurse who administered it for me told me she typically works as an ICU nurse, and informed me that she lost 46 patients last year due to Covid, under her watch alone. She said, "I'm so happy you won't be my 47 now." It was sort of emotional.

After the first dose, my arm was sore for a week. By Monday evening I still felt fine, although around 10PM or so, I felt a bit flushed. I took some Nyquil and crashed. Where I stayed in the same spot all night long.

Tuesday, I got up to pee about 8AM, drank a glass of water, and went back to bed; where I slept until 2PM. When I woke up I drug myself to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee, and sat down on the sofa to drink it. The next thing I recall, it was 7PM and my coffee was cold. When I woke up, I could hardly keep my eyes open. I had no other ill effects of any kind. My arm wasn't even sore at all. I ate a bite of chicken, and fell asleep chewing. I finally mustered up enough energy to take a hot shower around 10PM, which perked me up a bit; and I managed to stay awake until around midnight. I slept through until about 8 this morning.

I'm still feeling a bit tired, but otherwise I feel fine.

All things considered, my basically losing a day to sleep was well worth it. I feel very blessed to have been fortunate enough to get the vaccine. There are 500K+  people in the US (and counting) who were not so lucky. That isn't lost on me.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7688 on: March 17, 2021, 02:23:39 PM »
I'm not that afraid of the numbers of blood clots, since they're really low statistically speaking. I'm afraid that they're going to say that the freaky thing that happened to those health workers was tied to the vaccine, that it was a freak accident or something wrong with one single batch or something, and that they will fix it and be more careful from now, because then I won't have any choice but to trust them and take it, but I'll be scared all along.

I'm very pro-vaccine, and pro-any vaccine - most of us outside the US won't be getting the fancy super effective vaccines like Pfizer or Moderna, and I'll likely end up needing a booster shot for the SA variant or something. Same with the folks I know in Serbia, who are getting vaccinated en-masse with the Chinese Sinopharm (which only reaches 80% effectiveness in most studies) and Russian Sputnik V, and they're worried that this means they won't get the super sophisticated protection and that they'll get bugged while crossing borders because those two manufacturers aren't seeking to be approved to be in the EU. But you don't get your shots to go to the Greek seaside without having to show them a negative test, or to be protected from any eventuality, you get the shots to stay out of the hospital if shit hits the fan and the virus is still circulating and you do get infected.

To be clear, I was really only trying to give you some level of comfort with it, not trying to brow-beat you about vaccine denialism or anything like that at all  :)   Sounds like you've got it figured out for yourself  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7689 on: March 17, 2021, 02:27:57 PM »
I hope we (The USA) are able to help Canada out at some point.  The projections I've seen indicate that we're going to have more than a 100-million-dose surplus based on what's already on hand and what's on order, so maybe in a few months when we're closing in on herd immunity our government will be willing to start helping out other countries who have shortages.  I'm all for it.

With all the vaccine deniers here in the US, we may be able to help a lot of others eventually. 

Honestly, really happy Trump publicly said to get the vaccine.  That is the best thing he's done in a long time IMO.  Funny enough, one of my hardcore republican and trumpster DOCTOR friend who was very anti these vaccines immediately after the announcement said he was going to get it.  :facepalm: I'm glad at the end result, but I'm astonished that highly intelligent people needed him to say it. I had been arguing with this friend (and his DOCTOR brother) for weeks now and at least one of them is now following through.  Haven't spoken to his brother yet but I bet he holds out a little longer until he finally comes through. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7690 on: March 17, 2021, 02:35:38 PM »
Intelligence =/= Common Sense

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7691 on: March 17, 2021, 02:38:59 PM »
The big problem going forward with vaccines is that people won't stop dying, because vaccines, well, are not making you immortal, are just protecting you from the virus.

It's statistically certain that, with more and more vaccinations happening, more and more people who got vaccinated will die (anyway). And some of them will die shortly after the vaccine - just like it would have happened anyway even without the vaccine. The scare about vaccines isn't going away anytime soon.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7692 on: March 17, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »
There's a few anecdotal stories of this coming out lately:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-had-crippling-long-covid-153543532.html

Arianna Eisenberg, 34, said she experienced muscle pains, insomnia, fatigue, and brain fog for eight months after getting sick. These symptoms are typical of what is become known as "long COVID".

But 36 hours after receiving a second dose of COVID-19 vaccine, her symptoms were gone, the Post reported.

Very interesting.  Nothing proven here but she is not the only person reporting this.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7693 on: March 17, 2021, 03:08:15 PM »
That's not new.  They're called "Covid-19 Long-haulers" and they've been talking about it for a few months now on the news in my area

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7694 on: March 17, 2021, 03:14:39 PM »
That's not new.  They're called "Covid-19 Long-haulers" and they've been talking about it for a few months now on the news in my area

Being "cured" of long term covid from the vaccine seems pretty new to me, but based on your response, it seems you didn't read the article linked and/or didn't make it past the first sentence of the quote. But once again, it's not proven the vaccine will make your long term covid symptoms go away, but there's a few examples so far where it has.  Will be really great if it can be proven to be the case and convince more people to get vaccinated.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7695 on: March 17, 2021, 03:26:18 PM »
However, the authors said that this could be down to the placebo effect.

This is what I am thinking. Those "symptoms" sound like when you're Overwhelmed. And this Vaccine makes ones mind feel more safer. In their minds, these symptoms persist because they still felt doubt of a cure and hopeless, negative thoughts affect your health and mind. Being overwhelmed can cause brain fog. And worry and thinking about things can cause Insomnia, as your mind races and thinks more when you sleep and are alone in your thoughts.

So when they get the vaccine. Their minds feel safer, and less overwhelmed with stress of worry. And therefore it uplifts the spirit and releases those symptoms of Overwhelmed. Because you are not worried about the Covid much anymore because you got the vaccine. The vaccine made it safer for you.

Which is all in the mind. I am also not saying the vaccine is a placebo. But that the mind is an amazing thing that affects everything that happens in our bodies, including the immune system...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7696 on: March 17, 2021, 04:11:28 PM »
However, the authors said that this could be down to the placebo effect.

This is what I am thinking. Those "symptoms" sound like when you're Overwhelmed. And this Vaccine makes ones mind feel more safer. In their minds, these symptoms persist because they still felt doubt of a cure and hopeless, negative thoughts affect your health and mind. Being overwhelmed can cause brain fog. And worry and thinking about things can cause Insomnia, as your mind races and thinks more when you sleep and are alone in your thoughts.

So when they get the vaccine. Their minds feel safer, and less overwhelmed with stress of worry. And therefore it uplifts the spirit and releases those symptoms of Overwhelmed. Because you are not worried about the Covid much anymore because you got the vaccine. The vaccine made it safer for you.

Which is all in the mind. I am also not saying the vaccine is a placebo. But that the mind is an amazing thing that affects everything that happens in our bodies, including the immune system...

Yea, it's entirely possible.  But even if it is the placebo effect, if people are somehow overcoming the long haul covid, that's still a positive.  There's no current science (that I know at least) to explain this so offering this reasoning seems totally plausible too.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #7697 on: March 17, 2021, 05:55:04 PM »
So my other half, who is just outside of qualifying for a vaccination right now, decided to make an appointment and see. She felt bad at first, but when she saw appointments were being left unfilled, she decided to say fuck it. She's glad they did.

They way overestimated the number of doses thawing for today. People were not booking appointments... so it got to the point where they were letting anyone 18+ get a shot, no questions asked... just so they don't go to waste. Like the healthcare workers there were telling everyone there to call anyone who may want it who could get there before the cut off. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7698 on: March 17, 2021, 06:45:35 PM »
If I could get on a plane, I would.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7699 on: March 17, 2021, 06:46:37 PM »
If I could get on a plane, I would.

To get on a plane, you'd actually have to, you know, leave the house.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol