Author Topic: The TAC Anonymous Roulette v.3 Opposites Attract Blue Balls Have Been Relieved  (Read 144876 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Anonymous Roulette v.3 Opposites Attract PC Approved Game Title
« Reply #1680 on: March 31, 2019, 03:37:13 PM »
Here are my guesses!

Leprous Lethean
Marillion Stadler
Angel Witch Indiscipline
Toto Kingshmegland
The Flight Of Sleipnir Parama
The Cult Kwyjibo
The Juliana Theory Seneca
Ensiferum Evermind
Sonata Arctica Kattelox
Between The Buried And Me Elite
Dark Tranquility Wolfking
Toxik Puppies I know this is wrong!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1681 on: March 31, 2019, 03:39:22 PM »
butt bam is probably puppies
correct on me tho, hell yeah ready to score low  :metal

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1682 on: March 31, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »
Bullseye!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1683 on: March 31, 2019, 03:54:01 PM »
2 for 2!!

Bullseye!

Raided Big Banging Bro's album bin again??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1684 on: March 31, 2019, 03:56:07 PM »
Correctamundo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1685 on: March 31, 2019, 04:00:30 PM »
2 for 2!!

Bullseye!

Raided Big Banging Bro's album bin again??

Actually texted the focker for advice!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1687 on: March 31, 2019, 04:32:05 PM »
What was weird about this round is that after the second listen, I usually have a pretty good hierarchy of songs. Not this round. There was a lot of movement up and down.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1688 on: March 31, 2019, 04:38:00 PM »
Swing and a miss!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1689 on: March 31, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »
Swing and a miss!

Actually, I should've known that and had pretty much decided you wouldn't send Toto to me, knowing how I feel about them.
The only other bands I could see you sending would be Marillion of The Cult. I'd be shocked if you send Toxik.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1690 on: March 31, 2019, 04:53:32 PM »
Nope.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1691 on: March 31, 2019, 05:43:31 PM »
The WHITE Results have been submitted.

If Stadler returns early from the weekend in the Hamptons, we could get results tonight.

You pay him that much?  Are you hiring?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1692 on: March 31, 2019, 05:57:32 PM »
Robert Kraft is paying for this trip.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1693 on: March 31, 2019, 07:27:13 PM »
White

12. Evermind-Ensiferum - White Storm

"I liked this a lot, as expected."

I wasn't in love with the vocals in the beginning of this song, but once I got past that, this was fantastic. It has some folk elements, but no overly so. Love the way this song develops in such a short time frame. Very enjoyable. I've sampled them before, and have generally liked what I've heard, but as usual..so many bands too little time. But I will indeed make some time for them after the roulette is over.

11. Puppies On Acid-Dark Tranquility - White Noise Black Science

"Wow, I like this a lot."

Here's another song where once you get through the vocal barrage in the first part of the song, the payoff is immense. This band is officially on The List. I thought this was excellent. Musically, there are so many great qualities on display. I could easily take another 3 or 4 minutes of this.

10. Stadler-The Cult - White

"I was never into this band back in the day. But this was awesome!"

I had a couple of friends who were really into The Cult. I only knew them from their radio hits, and they never did anything for me. I saw them twice opening for Metallica in 1989, but my attention was fixed on Matt Sorum, who rules. This song lingers a bit in the end, but it was surprisingly very enjoyable.

9. Kattelox-Sonata Arctica - White Pearl, Black Oceans

"Wow, that really wasn't that bad."

I can't really say anything bad about this song. Has lots of elements I like. Love the power metal chorus on this. It's a tad long but it's a pleasant enough listen. I consider Sonata Arctica rather bland, but I liked this song a lot.

8. Wolfking-Between The Buried And Me - White Walls

"Musically, this is so fantastic. Musically"

I'm honestly not in love with the growls, but this is musically this is technically amazing. But this song is really missing a hook to keep me engaged. The last four minutes of this are beyond words, but it feels like such a long and arduous journey to get there. Still, this stood out in a rather weak field.

7. Elite- Toxik - Black & White

"Strange chorus, but damn, this is some old school metal done right."

Reminds me a lot of Killing Is My Business era Megadeth. Which of course is all win in my book.Old school thrash with pretty decent vocals. The prechorus is amazing which dumps you into an awkward chorus, but that leads way into an amazing  solo section. Just went to Save this on Spotify. 1989 huh? Totally kickass.

6. Lethean-Leprous-White

Yeah, so pretty much all of this is pretty good. Musically, it's quite a journey and never boring. By far the most interesting track I've heard by Leprous. Gonna check this album on for sure. For the life of me, I cannot believe someone couldn't decide between this and Sonata Arctica.

5. Parama-The Flight Of Sleipnir - Falcon White

"This needs more listens. Could go either way."

Interesting track. Starts off mellow, then sounds like Bruce Dickinson being tortured, to some great music and guitar, then back to tortured Bruce. Ends with a nice chill outro. I don't know if I'm all that crazy about this song. I don't dislike it, but it's too long for what it does.

4. Indiscipline-Angel Witch - White Witch

"Old school classic!"

I love me some old school metal. I never really got into Angel Witch. They were just a bit too obscure at the time for me. But these early metal songs evoke so many emotions in me. It was such a time of musical discovery for me, like no other. Unfortunately this isn't a great song, but my interest is still piqued.

3. Kwyjibo-Toto - White Sister

"Nice solo, smoking outro, but this band underachieves."

I've commented a few times about songs where by surviving a vocal barrage, they open up to virtual masterpieces. Well this song is similar, where it absolutely blows for three minutes, and then absolutely slays for the next two and a half. Unfortunately, there's nothing here that piques my curiosity any more about this band. I know they are great musicians. I just wish their music was better.

2. Kingshmegland-The Juliana Theory - White Days

"This isn't going to do well"

I really wanted to like this song. I thought the verses had a great pace. I needed the prechorus and chorus to build on that and it just never gets there. I didn't actively dislike it, but I don't think this would be something I'd further dig into.

1. Senegadawg2-Marillion - White Paper

"Man I was worried, but then it picked up a bit, which I liked. But then I got worried again. It's a nice song.."

I understand and totally respect that whoever sent this likes this song a lot and is meaningful to them. I appreciate people sending stuff that THEY like. To me, roulettes are about sharing. But if I'm honest, I'm probably not coming back to this.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The TAC Anonymous Roulette v.3 Opposites Attract WHITEsults
« Reply #1694 on: March 31, 2019, 07:43:54 PM »
yeah i'll give you that that flight of sleipnir song is a bit long

also i love "can't believe someone would have trouble deciding between sonata arctica and leprous" alongside "sonata arctica scores higher than leprous"  :lol
at least i only lost one point to sending what i sent instead of leprous  :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: March 31, 2019, 07:51:25 PM »
Kickass.

WPBO was played on repeat for hours when I was a young teen, shortly after its release. Man. Good times. Glad you liked it. It's considered one of their very best.

Also White Sister isn't even the best song on Hydra so please do not write off Toto or even that record. It's funky, but also unlike the rest of all their albums. Trust me on this. Although I saw WS live in 2013 and it freaking rocked...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1696 on: March 31, 2019, 07:53:21 PM »
also TAC you'd like TGM so much it's a lot more melodic than colors and most songs have a decent hook to them too
just
the only eligible song for any of these rounds was, again, a 17-minute epic  :lol
you'd probably like any of their post-colors albums really, since they consistently got more melodic with each new album

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1697 on: March 31, 2019, 07:53:49 PM »

also i love "can't believe someone would have trouble deciding between sonata arctica and leprous" alongside "sonata arctica scores higher than leprous"  :lol

:lol

I know right. I saw that and read it and thought  :facepalm:

But the other SA song was originally ranked at 3 and Leprous was originally ranked at 9.

The SA song K-Lox sent was really good. I don't think they're all that great, but I enjoyed K-Lox's song a lot.

The Sleipnir song just needed another element to it. I mean it had my attention and just because it ended up at 5 didn't mean I didn't like it. I thought it was cool, and I plan on checking them out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1698 on: March 31, 2019, 07:57:33 PM »
also TAC you'd like TGM so much it's a lot more melodic than colors and most songs have a decent hook to them too
just
the only eligible song for any of these rounds was, again, a 17-minute epic  :lol
you'd probably like any of their post-colors albums really, since they consistently got more melodic with each new album

That's good to hear. I'll definitely check them out.

Kickass.

Sending SA was playing with fire. Glad it worked out for you.

Also White Sister isn't even the best song on Hydra so please do not write off Toto or even that record. It's funky, but also unlike the rest of all their albums. Trust me on this. Although I saw WS live in 2013 and it freaking rocked...

The only way it rocked was if the singer called in sick and they started at the 3:00 minute mark.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1699 on: March 31, 2019, 08:31:14 PM »
They played it with a different singer!  :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1700 on: March 31, 2019, 08:56:55 PM »
I'm stoked you liked that Dark Tranquillity song that much. I was a little worried since it was from one of their weaker (imo) albums, but it was the only song that qualified that wasn't going to take the spot of a better song (again imo) later in the roulette. If you want to look in to them further I highly recommend the albums Character, Fiction, and The Gallery. Fiction is my favorite, but Character is a super close second. The Gallery is their second album and has more of an old school feel to it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: March 31, 2019, 10:29:57 PM »
:metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1702 on: April 01, 2019, 12:22:15 AM »

I know right. I saw that and read it and thought  :facepalm:

Yeah that's what I thought too.  :P

But the other SA song was originally ranked at 3 and Leprous was originally ranked at 9.

It should have stayed at 9. ;)

Very glad you liked it enough to check out the album though. :). Also nice to see that Stadler's back from the Hamptons.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1703 on: April 01, 2019, 04:08:23 AM »
Boo

Hiss.

That's the ballad of the album.  There's some cool rockers on that album Tim. Not as heavy as you like but I think you'd dig it at least.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1704 on: April 01, 2019, 05:08:31 AM »
I need a few words with my brother  :D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: April 01, 2019, 05:17:22 AM »
Happy gambling with BTBAM again.  Solid score.  Tim, they are a band and that album in particular is a very slow grower.  At first I too found it a struggle and exhausting to get through but I got hooked and loved sitting through the whole thing.  Such an amazing band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: April 01, 2019, 06:07:55 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1708 on: April 01, 2019, 07:30:47 AM »
So what'd I miss?  Anything?

In case anyone cares, I had a great weekend on the island with Alexis (Joel) and Beth (Stern).  We got a reading from Theresa Caputo!   

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1709 on: April 01, 2019, 08:21:00 AM »

3. Kwyjibo-Toto - White Sister

"Nice solo, smoking outro, but this band underachieves."

I've commented a few times about songs where by surviving a vocal barrage, they open up to virtual masterpieces. Well this song is similar, where it absolutely blows for three minutes, and then absolutely slays for the next two and a half. Unfortunately, there's nothing here that piques my curiosity any more about this band. I know they are great musicians. I just wish their music was better.

I just quote Kattelox:
That's a good song regardless of what you'll write about it, damn you!  :lol

He knows what's up.

I almost feared that you don't like it, but this was for me the best song I sent so far. Most of the others I sent I think are good but not the ones I would have sent for the respective artists, if it were not for the themes. This Toto song is just a top 10 tune for me, so you fail big time if you don't like it.  :biggrin:

Okay, up for black now, I sent the opposite from Toto, let's see how that doesn't work also.  ;)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: April 01, 2019, 08:22:16 AM »
I almost sent this song by melodic black metal band Naglfar for the black round, but thought there'd be too many growls. Maybe I should've sent it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASlrcneNkZg

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1711 on: April 01, 2019, 08:22:33 AM »

You are probably scaring TAC away even further from Toto with that comment.  :)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: April 01, 2019, 10:10:08 AM »
I almost sent this song by melodic black metal band Naglfar for the black round, but thought there'd be too many growls. Maybe I should've sent it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASlrcneNkZg

I nearly sent this, thankfully I went with Ensiferum instead. :lol I'm sure this chorus would've tanked hard.

Edit: listened to the Naglfar song, yeah, a little too much for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1713 on: April 01, 2019, 10:24:43 AM »
Oh jeeze  :lol And I almost sent you that Naglfar song in the tiebreaker, haha!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1714 on: April 01, 2019, 10:32:07 AM »
I’ll be home in a couple hours. Too busy at work to DTF today.
Take the weekend off and all hell breaks loose.