Dream Theater > Dream Theater

Official Distance Over Time discussion thread

<< < (468/468)

erwinrafael:
I love today's DT because their style of playing changed the same way that my taste in music changed. I especially loved D/T because they finally shed off the excess = prog style that I have come to associate with them since Train of Thought (although something that was already rearing its head back in SFAM). They tried that with DT12 but D/T was them getting it right for me. The run of songs from Fall Into The Light to At Wit's End is gold, must have listened to that run more than three hundred times already.

Architeuthis:
Dream Theater has many album sequences that you could call their big three.  To me they have matured as musicians and are playing better than ever before. I listen to their more recent stuff way more than I do their earlier albums.  As far as JLB goes, he may not have the power or range like he used to but he's the only one in the band that has a organic instrument that changes with age.  He does pretty darn good at this age so he deserves a lot of credit for still going strong.
I mean c'mon, DT are still considered the undisputed heavyweight champions of prog/metal this day. I have a feeling that their new album will solidify that title.   :coolio

TheBarstoolWarrior:

--- Quote from: lovethedrake on October 09, 2021, 04:01:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on October 08, 2021, 05:44:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: lovethedrake on October 08, 2021, 05:33:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on October 08, 2021, 03:49:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: nobloodyname on October 08, 2021, 07:51:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: KevShmev on October 08, 2021, 06:20:35 AM ---They were mostly crushing it live in that time span, so I can get on board with that, but when it comes to their studio output, 1992-2002, regardless of what you or me or anyone else thinks of this album or that album, is pretty much the consensus for being their glory years.

--- End quote ---

Very few would disagree with that with respect to the fanbase as a whole. Although my personal favourite sequence is from Scenes to Octavarium. But then I confess I came onboard between Six Degrees and Train of Thought, so that probably explains that :tup

--- End quote ---

hmmm. I guess I would be amongst the few who disagree then  :lol

I don't think of the band as having a glory years at all given how inconsistent the output has been even during the alleged consensus period. I also dispute the notion that there was something magical in their mojo, technical or compositional ability during that period which we haven't seen since. Quite the contrary on the technical part which has gotten better and better over the years.

I will say this though: when DT is finished, I may look back on the MM era and say those were the glory years if they can put out more albums as strong as ADTOE, DT12, DOT and what I hope to hear in DT15.

--- End quote ---

Everybody is welcome to an opinion.  There’s just a difference of your opinion and the general consensus. I agree that output is consistently strong but I don’t think they have been quite as good since SDOIT imo.  However, I like the last 3 albums more than I like the previous 4.

--- End quote ---

I think the biggest thing is that the term glory years implies a current state of decline unless that's where you happen to be now. I think DT is the best they've ever been now, so maybe that's my aversion to going along with that label. When I listen to DoT, DT12 and ADTOE, I hear a band that is technically the best they've been, better and more concise songwriters, better lyricists, and just generally more mature musicians.

--- End quote ---

It’s amazing to me that someone can think the songwriting in the MM era is better than the 90’s era but that’s why music is an art and there is no right answer.  I think DT is in a good place and I’m extremely excited for the new album because of it.  However, to try and compare the last 3 albums to I&W and SFAM from a freshness and songwriting standpoint is an easy exercise.   They don’t compare.

Not to mention Labrie, who is still a fine singer is not nearly as powerful as he once was. 

Anyways, i feel like DT lost their way a bit towards the end of the Portnoy era but are back in full stride now.  33 years in and still going strong but I just can’t see any album topping my big 3 anymore (i&w, sfam, Sdoit).    Those were young inspired musicians making magic.   Now they are mature statesman making solid records. I wouldn’t so much call it a decline… they just aren’t in their prime anymore.  Nobody is after 33 years.

--- End quote ---

I should have mentioned that my top DT is I&W and a ACOS, so to that extent nothing has ever topped those very early years in terms of songwriting (though the band is technically superior now). I think SFAM was written well also, but I don't think many of those songs work well as stand alone pieces so I never end up listening to it except during live shows.

Wim Kruithof:
I finally could grab my fingers round (and fund) the limited boxset of Distance Over Time. It's my second boxset (next to A View) and I really love it. Loved the album since the get-go - although it took a while before I digested it - but this is (besides the base of vinyl and iTunes, which both I have from every album) a wonderful way to shine on my bookshelf in the living room. Love the 3d pic on the cover.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version