Author Topic: Is Rush more appealing and accessible than other classic prog rock bands?  (Read 8523 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Is Rush more appealing and accessible than other classic prog rock bands?
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2020, 10:27:06 AM »

Different?  Sure.  Vastly different?  Not at all.

How? Musically they are nothing alike.

They play rock. They have the same basic instrumentation and play rock music in mostly 4/4 time, songs share what is fundamentally the same structure: riff, verses, bridges, choruses, solos, bringing it back to the chorus at the end. They are absolutely very similar, only 'vastly different' when you start splitting hairs. They have recognizable, unique frontmen with unique, recognizable voices. They're two of the most successful rock bands in history, different styles but in the big picture very similar and under the same rock umbrella. Please don't make me start drinking again
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:33:28 AM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2020, 10:27:34 AM »

They both had album titles that could arguably be diving terms (or diving related)?

Diver Down and....???

Test for Echo?

Permanent Waves?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2020, 10:30:12 AM »

Why bring Whitesnake into this? :neverusethis:

I suppose most Rush fans don't care for Whitesnake at all.

Big Rush fan and I like a good number of Whitesnake songs. Would expect a decent amount of overlap there as well.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2020, 10:34:11 AM »
They both had album titles that could arguably be diving terms (or diving related)?

Diver Down and....???

Test For Echo.   I know the band didn't mean it in that fashion, but still.  Sonar is essentially predicated on a literal test for echo.

Offline HOF

« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2020, 10:49:58 AM »
Essentially, if two bands have been played on the same corporate rock radio stations for 40 years, it shouldn’t be surprising that they might have some overlapping fans.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2020, 10:55:04 AM »

Big Rush fan and I like a good number of Whitesnake songs. Would expect a decent amount of overlap there as well.

I view this through my lenses.  I first heard of both bands in the early to mid-80's.   We would have paper covers to our school books, and there were about five or 10 bands that seemed to show up on all the books, because they had cool logos.  You'd get the "OZZY", with the lines through the z's; you'd get KISS with the lighting S's; you'd get AC/DC... and you'd get the flying wings of the VH logo, and the circle and star of the Rush logo.   Again, I know it's me and my age group, but for me, both bands were touring arenas at that time and had hit songs/albums.

(It's a couple years later, but Whitesnake, with "Slide It In" in '84, fits right into that.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2020, 10:57:49 AM »
"Trapper Keepers are still cool though, right?"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2020, 11:30:29 AM »

Huge fan of both. Don’t see why they would be mutually exclusive

Offline HOF

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2020, 11:34:03 AM »

I view this through my lenses.  I first heard of both bands in the early to mid-80's.   We would have paper covers to our school books, and there were about five or 10 bands that seemed to show up on all the books, because they had cool logos.  You'd get the "OZZY", with the lines through the z's; you'd get KISS with the lighting S's; you'd get AC/DC... and you'd get the flying wings of the VH logo, and the circle and star of the Rush logo.   Again, I know it's me and my age group, but for me, both bands were touring arenas at that time and had hit songs/albums.

(It's a couple years later, but Whitesnake, with "Slide It In" in '84, fits right into that.)

Another aspect that ties bands like Rush, VH, and Whitesnake is that those acts all featured prominent instrumentalists (Peart, EVH, Sykes/Vai) who would have appealed to the more musically inclined rock listener. Heck, Rush brought Mr. Big on tour with them several times, and I assume the thinking was similar (band of virtuosos even if they don’t play the same type of hard rock).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2020, 11:46:07 AM »
I can say with 100% certainty I did not miss these questions as if WR was magically transplanted onto planet Earth by aliens at the age of 21.  :biggrin:

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2020, 11:53:07 AM »
I've seen every band mentioned, live.   I am the missing link.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2020, 11:53:31 AM »

Different?  Sure.  Vastly different?  Not at all.

How? Musically they sound vastly different.
Compare Lifeson's and Eddie's guitar playing. They sound nothing alike.

In their prime eras of popularity, both were hard rock bands that were, at the core, guitar, bass and drums.  I'm not saying they were indistinguishable or anything, but "vastly different" and "they sound nothing alike" go too far.

And...wait for it...there are people on this planet who enjoy music that is vastly different.  I enjoy Mussorgsky, Beethoven, Celine Dion, the Police, Metallica, UFO and the Beatles.

Diver Down and....???

Test For Echo.   I know the band didn't mean it in that fashion, but still.  Sonar is essentially predicated on a literal test for echo.

That's a heck of a stretch.  I was actually thinking Grace under Pressure.

Essentially, if two bands have been played on the same corporate rock radio stations for 40 years, it shouldn’t be surprising that they might have some overlapping fans.

Exactly.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2020, 11:54:26 AM »
Use your "Signals" folks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2020, 12:04:28 PM »
Heck, Rush brought Mr. Big on tour with them several times, and I assume the thinking was similar (band of virtuosos even if they don’t play the same type of hard rock).

I suspect it was more the label's decision than the bands, and the thinking was more along the lines of, "These two rock bands that are available at the same time, are both on the same radio playlists and are close enough. Looks like this would be a good tour." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2020, 12:06:30 PM »
"Trapper Keepers are still cool though, right?"

Hahahaha
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2020, 12:36:48 PM »
They have recognizable, unique frontmen with unique, recognizable voices.

David Lee Roth is a pretty clown-ish frontman unlike Geddy Lee, who is very serious. Totally different types of frotmen.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2020, 12:39:14 PM »

David Lee Roth is a pretty clown-ish frontman unlike Geddy Lee, who is very serious. Totally different types of frotmen.

Right. None of that invalidates what I said, which is that they are recognizable and unique. You are so bad at this omg

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2020, 12:44:34 PM »
I noticed there is a big overplap between Rush and Van Halen fans.

Where? How?

Isn't it surprising to you?

No, not really to be honest.

Rush and VH are vastly different styles of rock music.

No, they're not.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »

Where? How?

He caught a Rush fan sleeping with his Van Halen-loving girlfriend.  That's the "big overlap".   ;)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2020, 12:48:17 PM »
They are different but both popular.  Fans can like different styles.  What's the big whoop?

I want meatloaf tonight, tomorrow I'd like sushi.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2020, 12:48:25 PM »
Elite...you had me until the last one.

I see virtually zero similarities between Rush and VH... I mean, unless you want to draw similarities between ALL bands that use electric guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and vocals.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2020, 12:49:15 PM »

Where? How?

He caught a Rush fan sleeping with his Van Halen-loving girlfriend.  That's the "big overlap".   ;)

This analogy doesn't work the other way though. Girl Rush fans? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2020, 12:54:58 PM »

I see virtually zero similarities between Rush and VH... I mean, unless you want to draw similarities between ALL bands that use electric guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and vocals.

Come on.. 'vastly different styles of rock music' when they both draw from the hard rock idiom from the late 60s and early 70s... Both bands adapted their sound roughly to what was going on in the contemporary rock scene. I can see how they're different, sure. To anyone not as invested in music though, they could be the same band with a different vocalist. Maybe remove some of Rush's epics for a more accurate comparison.

'Vastly different styles' is way too exaggerated to me.
Squ

Offline pg1067

« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2020, 01:00:20 PM »

Right. None of that invalidates what I said, which is that they are recognizable and unique. You are so bad at this omg

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2020, 01:02:35 PM »

Where? How?

This analogy doesn't work the other way though. Girl Rush fans? :lol

Haha, I thought the same thing.  Great minds....  :)

Offline HOF

« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2020, 01:04:30 PM »

Just in terms of guitar sound 1980s Alex and Eddie aren’t all that different. But I think the similarities are more in terms of the overall sound pallet (heavy rock, big drums, high pitched vocals). The actual songs aren’t similar (Rush don’t write about girls and parties, though they do sometimes write about cars). 1970s isn’t very much like VH, but it also isn’t very much like 1980s Rush.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2020, 01:04:46 PM »

Come on.. 'vastly different styles of rock music' when they both draw from the hard rock idiom from the late 60s and early 70s... Both bands adapted their sound roughly to what was going on in the contemporary rock scene. I can see how they're different, sure. To anyone not as invested in music though, they could be the same band with a different vocalist. Maybe remove some of Rush's epics for a more accurate comparison.

Elite, I'm with you on this one.    You can tie some very specific lines back from both Rush and Van Halen to Led Zeppelin and Cream in particular. They certainly went in different directions over decades, but they are plants from the same garden.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »

I still think they sound vastly different. Van Halen songs are mostly party-type hard rock tunes, while Rush are prog hard rock. And their lyrical themes are nothing alike. Just compare two songs from the same year (1978): The Trees and Running With the Devil. They have absolutely nothing in common.

And I also think that two hard rock bands can sound very different. For example compare Deep Purple and Van Halen. Or Aerosmith and Blue Oyster Cult.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:15:16 PM by WildRanger »

Offline HOF

« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2020, 01:26:38 PM »

I still think they sound vastly different. Van Halen songs are mostly party-type hard rock tunes, while Rush are prog hard rock. And their lyrical themes are nothing alike. Just compare two songs from the same year (1978): The Trees and Running With the Devil. They have absolutely nothing in common.

And I also think that two hard rock bands can sound very different. For example compare Deep Purple and Van Halen. Or Aerosmith and Blue Oyster Cult.

It’s all a continuum really. Those 4 bands are closer to one end of the rock spectrum, with Rush being maybe a little further down one direction or another but all of them being a lot closer to each other than to a band like maybe Eagles or Tom Petty, but even they would be closer than say Nine Inch Nails or Radiohead, and even they would be closer than someone like Taylor Swift, but even she would be closer than Beyoncé and so on and so forth.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2020, 01:37:35 PM »
I don't care about Van Halen at all, so I'm hesitant to even try to make point (party because it's going to be futile anyway). Whatever man. On the big spectrum of all available music, all hard rock bands are the same musically. I didn't even bring up lyrics, that's your doing. Nice going by picking 'The Trees', you could have made it a bit more difficult for yourself by going with 'Working Man' for instance or 'Red Barchetta'.

Using your own trick of comparing two songs from the same year, let's do 'Between the Wheels' vs 'Jump', both 1984. See if you can spot the similarities. I can :)
Squ

Offline romdrums

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2020, 02:20:10 PM »

They both have band members named Alex.  Both drummers played Ludwig drums at some point.  :neverusethis:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2020, 02:26:42 PM »

They both have band members named Alex.  Both drummers played Ludwig drums at some point.  :neverusethis:

Both have singers with the name Lee in them?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »
Van Halen songs are mostly . . . hard rock tunes, while Rush are . . . hard rock.

Exactly.

And their lyrical themes are nothing alike. Just compare two songs from the same year (1978): The Trees and Running With the Devil. They have absolutely nothing in common.

Yes, when you intentionally select two songs out of several hundred that are very dissimilar, the result should not be surprising.  But how about Red Barchetta and Panama?

Or...let's play a game.  See if you can spot the Rush lyrics (no cheating!):

(a) "Yeah, oh yeah.  Ooh, said I, I'm coming back to look for you, ooh, said I'm, I'm going by the back door."
(b) "Well I been hustling here, I been hustling there, I been searching for about a week, and I started feeling this strange sensation, my knees are starting getting weak."
(c) "On every wall and place my fearsome name is heard."
(d) "Well, I see you standin' there with your finger in the air, everything we do you want to leave it up to you."
(e) "Everybody's looking for something, something to fill in the holes, we think a lot but don't talk much about it 'til things get out of control."
(f) "Better people, better food, and better beer!"
(g) "I've got a livin' that's rough, a future that's tough, you know what I mean, blankers and boasters, all the bluffers and posers, I'm not into that scene."

All that being said, it's certainly true that the two bands' most significant dissimilarity is lyrics, but you seem to be ignoring a great many similarities to emphasize the obvious differences.  Moreover, going back to your original point, why is it surprising that a lot of people like musical artists that aren't complete clones of each other?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:55:35 PM by pg1067 »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2020, 03:15:20 PM »
Rush and Van Halen are both in my top five favorite bands. I’ve never once thought to myself how two of my favorite bands are so vastly different. Of course they have a different sound, but both are kick ass rock/hard rock (whatever category they fall into).