Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 96014 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #875 on: April 15, 2018, 06:22:30 AM »
Well, that just fuckin blew.  I turned off the game after the 1st.  I'm fully convinced that if Kapanen had scored (instead of hitting the post) on that s/h breakaway, it would've been a totally different game.  1-1 at that point instead of another quick PPG goal, then two favorable home-ice bounces to make it 4-0 put the game away.  4 goals on 6 shots!  Not a lot of good to take from that game for the Leafs - Haisey and Zaitsev (in particular) were as useful as a Chino-pylon.  Babcock has to take some of the blame too - two of the 1st period goals he was rushing a change to get a line matchup, and it cost the d-pair.

Fuck Pasternak-Marchand-Bergeron are scary as shit, and they are on their game right now.  Offensively, they remind me of Gretz-Kurri-Tikkanen.

My only hope is that Pasternak's fancy-shmancy goal with 100 seconds left to get the hattie stirs up the Leafs the way Sid's hattie stirred up the Flyers.

This will be a sweep if the Leafs don't get their heads out their asses.  Do-or-die tomorrow.... 2-1 is a lot different than 3-0.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #876 on: April 15, 2018, 06:33:19 AM »
After the way the Bruins were playing towards the end the season I didn't expect this kind of play. I'm actually very surprised.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: April 15, 2018, 06:37:06 AM »
After the way the Bruins were playing towards the end the season I didn't expect this kind of play. I'm actually very surprised.

They're capitalizing on virtually every mistake by the Leafs, and Anderson didn't bail anyone out last night.  And it seems like everytime there's a loose puck, there was at least 1 black shirt in the vicinity - or getting to it before the Leafs do.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #878 on: April 15, 2018, 06:40:53 AM »
Dave Reid, who is way underrated, made good points of showing the Leafs pulling up out of hits.

Matthews standing up straight and letting up on Pasta's third goal is scary. Not good scary.

Chad, what's the deal with Komorov? The way he was trying to skate, it looked like a hip.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: April 15, 2018, 06:46:40 AM »

They're capitalizing on virtually every mistake by the Leafs, and Anderson didn't bail anyone out last night.  And it seems like everytime there's a loose puck, there was at least 1 black shirt in the vicinity - or getting to it before the Leafs do.

It really is about the effort to get to the puck first.  Let's see the Leafs energy tonight.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: April 15, 2018, 06:50:08 AM »
Matthews standing up straight and letting up on Pasta's third goal is scary. Not good scary.

Chad, what's the deal with Komorov? The way he was trying to skate, it looked like a hip.

Matthews simply is not a physical player, and by that time the Leafs had thrown in the towel.  Matthews is actually a very good defensive player.

Komarov... no idea.  Like I said, I turned the game off.  He did miss a few games towards the end of the season after a bad collision that I swore looked like some kind of 'xCL' (ie ACL or MCL) tear.  I would've sworn he was gone for the season, but he came back after 4 or 5 games... so it must've just been a really bad hyper-extension of his knee.  Could be lingering effects of that?

King... game isn't until tomorrow.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: April 15, 2018, 06:52:17 AM »
Yeah I just saw that watching the NHL channel.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: April 16, 2018, 06:42:20 AM »
Wasn't expecting CBJ to take two in Washington.  Not looking good for the Caps.  And it's looking even worse for the Kings.  At least those games have been close.

I'm hoping for a Wild-like bounce-back by the Leafs tonight.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #883 on: April 16, 2018, 06:54:46 AM »
Strong response from the Pens in Philly yesterday afternoon, that's the kind of win they needed after a horrible effort and bad puck luck in the second game.

Wasn't expecting CBJ to take two in Washington.  Not looking good for the Caps.

I wasn't necessarily expecting the Jackets to win the first two in DC, but the Jackets winning the series seems about right to me. Watching these games in DC is fascinating, it's like their fan base is waiting for them to lose. It comes across on TV, as soon as they go down you can feel the arena all collectively thinking "oh here we go again".

Offline dparrott

« Reply #884 on: April 16, 2018, 08:59:01 AM »
WTF Kings???  3 goals in the 3rd at home????? Guess I'm a Sharks fan now.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #885 on: April 16, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »

Yeah, I don't want to say this series is over, since the Kings have played it really close the entire series, but coming back from 3 games down is nearly impossible if you're not playing some chump team like the Bruins or Sharks.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online pg1067

« Reply #886 on: April 16, 2018, 11:14:00 AM »

UGH!!!  That game was just depressing.  The Kings' performance in game 2 was inspiring.  They were so out-manned but battled to extend the game to nearly 5 full periods.  Quick stood on his head.  They should have ridden that momentum to a game 3 win, and they looked REALLY good with Doughty and Muzzin back in the lineup, which freed up the forwards a LOT.  Now I think warding off a sweep will be tough.

Thankfully, the Sucks are in an even worse position, having dropped the first two games at home.  I guess I hate the Sharts only slightly less than the Sucks.  I think either of them will get spanked by Vegas int he second round.

Minnesota did what the Kings should have done by demonstrating how important home ice really is.

The battle of Pennsylvania is shaping up like the best series of the first round.  Bruins look like they're going to roll over the Leafs.  Columbus over Washington is a bit of a surprise, and I haven't seen a second of Tampa Bay and Jersey.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #887 on: April 16, 2018, 11:15:46 AM »
Hopefully the switch to Schneider and the return of Marcus Johansson *glares at Joe* gives the Devils a boost tonight, especially as I'll be there at The Rock :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
I just hope the Leafs blueliners remember how to play defense.  Hainsey/Zaitsev/Gardiner have been BRUTAL so far, and Pasta/Berg/March have made them pay.  Anderson needs to get his mojo flowing too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: April 16, 2018, 05:52:56 PM »
 Bad call in the refs that led to a power-play goal for the Leafs. He cleared that off the the boards.  The replay shows that.  Oh well, 2 periods to go.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #890 on: April 16, 2018, 05:54:42 PM »
Bad call in the refs that led to a power-play goal for the Leafs. He cleared that off the the boards.  The replay shows that.  Oh well, 2 periods to go.

Love how the Penalty Box guy opens the door while the officials are discussing it. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: April 16, 2018, 05:55:36 PM »
I saw that as well. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #892 on: April 16, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »
Not the Bruins night tonight. Hit two posts on the PP. Ain't gonna happen tonight.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: April 16, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »
Pasta has to finish that goal and not at the post. There was nothing but net.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: April 16, 2018, 07:40:47 PM »
Game over.  Great response by The Leafs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #895 on: April 16, 2018, 07:40:59 PM »
Let's go Celtics!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: April 16, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »
Holy s*** what a save!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: April 16, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
Anderson brought his mojo tonight and then some.  That last save was out of sight.  D-men played a solid physical game.  Plecanec/Marleau/Marner did a great job shutting down Pasta and crew.

This is the kind of series that we were expecting.

Jersey with a nice response too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: April 17, 2018, 04:57:53 AM »
Bruins look like they're going to roll over the Leafs. 

You were saying??   ;D  Just need the Leafs to show up like that again on Thursday, and it's a best of 3.

Holy shit Anaheim!  Are the Sharks that good, or the Ducks that bad?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: April 17, 2018, 05:10:36 AM »
There was no way the Leafs woyld drop an egg in game 3 at home.  That last save on Pastrňák was nasty.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: April 17, 2018, 05:19:37 AM »
There was no way the Leafs woyld drop an egg in game 3 at home.  That last save on Pastrňák was nasty.

If he doesn't stop that, it's 2012 all over again.  One goal game with 2 minutes to go.  That was just absolutely sick ... and a bit of home-ice luck of course.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: April 17, 2018, 05:23:42 AM »
You don't win a 7 game series without a little luck.  Makes game 4 real interesting. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: April 17, 2018, 05:52:44 AM »
You don't win a 7 game series without a little luck.  Makes game 4 real interesting.

Indeed... and I'm on a plane (on my way home) for most of it.  Gonna record it, and try to stay spoiler-free until I get home.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: April 17, 2018, 06:19:13 AM »

Indeed... and I'm on a plane (on my way home) for most of it.  Gonna record it, and try to stay spoiler-free until I get home.

No texting you then!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #904 on: April 17, 2018, 06:39:04 AM »
I'm going to miss Game 4 too. It's our anniversary.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: April 17, 2018, 06:45:21 AM »

Priorities right there Tim.  A must there.  Going anywhere for dinner?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #906 on: April 17, 2018, 07:39:39 AM »

Priorities right there Tim.  A must there.  Going anywhere for dinner?

At least. We still don't have plans yet...my wife is in No Spending mode bigtime, so she's been hesitating on going away.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #907 on: April 17, 2018, 07:48:37 AM »
Damn, how the hell are the Ducks shitting the bed so badly in both this series and that last game?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline dparrott

« Reply #908 on: April 17, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »
8-1 Sharks!  :lol Looks like that series is over too.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: April 17, 2018, 08:55:12 AM »

No texting you then!

I would appreciate that! ;D