Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 94331 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #945 on: April 21, 2018, 05:59:11 AM »
Just watched the game recaps from last night.  Hoping the Leafs can follow suit with the Avs and Pens and win on the road - and not go the way of the Wild.

@ Gary... I don't know when they changed the "kicking" rule, but I hate it.  That was actually a "good" goal.  Despite the fact Bonnino clearly and intentionally used his skate/foot to 'direct' the puck in, that's allowed so long as it isn't a distinct kicking motion with his leg.  I think it's total bull-shit, but that is the rule.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #946 on: April 21, 2018, 07:22:50 AM »
I don't think he kicked it in, or directed it in. He was clearly trying to use his skate to gain control of the bouncing puck. It just happened to continue bouncing into the net after hitting his skate.

It's a good goal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #947 on: April 21, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »
I don't think he kicked it in, or directed it in. He was clearly trying to use his skate to gain control of the bouncing puck. It just happened to continue bouncing into the net after hitting his skate.

It's a good goal.

That’s certainly what he was trying to do. But his leg/foot was moving forward which is a kicking motion. Plus, it was called a ‘no goal’ on the ice.

It’s impossible to know....BUT....I have little to zero doubt that had that play been reversed and that was a Colorado player kicking in a goal with 7 minutes to go in the game AT Nashville that was called ‘no goal’ that the review comes back ‘call stands’.

I was just happy to see justice be served and Colorado come away with the ‘W’.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #948 on: April 21, 2018, 07:51:43 AM »

It’s impossible to know....BUT....I have little to zero doubt that had that play been reversed and that was a Colorado player kicking in a goal with 7 minutes to go in the game AT Nashville that was called ‘no goal’ that the review comes back ‘call stands’.

If only just to fuck with you!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: April 21, 2018, 07:53:14 AM »
#gmillerdrakeNHLconspiracies
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #950 on: April 21, 2018, 09:39:38 AM »
All I know is that I was happy to see Nashville lose. :hat

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: April 21, 2018, 12:12:53 PM »
#gmillerdrakeNHLconspiracies

I have plenty of them.  ;)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #952 on: April 21, 2018, 03:51:58 PM »
Ryan O'Reilly over Bergeron as a Selke finalist?  Guess the league wants to spread the love.

Did I miss something?  Aren’t the finalists Bergeron, Couturier and Kopitar??
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #953 on: April 21, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »
Goodnight New Jersey and good riddance. Not that I like Tampa that much more, but the Devils very existence makes me angry.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: April 21, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »
Ryan O'Reilly over Bergeron as a Selke finalist?  Guess the league wants to spread the love.

Did I miss something?  Aren’t the finalists Bergeron, Couturier and Kopitar??

My bad... this is why you shouldn't post before a 2nd cup of coffee.  Lady Byng finalists were Barkov, Karlsson (VGK) and O'Reilly.  And actually, Barkov could've/should've been a Selke nominee.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #955 on: April 21, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »
Holtby now 3-0 in these playoffs. Makes you wonder why he didn’t start either of the first two games.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #956 on: April 21, 2018, 04:52:19 PM »
Very sad to see the Devils season comes to an end, but for a team that was supposed to be a basement dweller this year they took us for a pretty good ride. Equally as excited for next season though as it's a young team with a core that should remain intact and hopefully take this series with Tampa Bay as a learning experience. With a good off-season we could be ready to make some real noise next year.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #957 on: April 21, 2018, 05:21:48 PM »
Bolts baby!!!

Great series to the Devils fans here, and you should be proud of the grit your team showed facing us. I was very impressed by Taylor Hall, and I expect nothing but great things from him in the future.

Anxiously waiting to see if the Bruins put away Toronto tonight. That’s going to be a very good but tough series for us.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #958 on: April 21, 2018, 06:36:14 PM »
Toronto coming out fast.  2-0 Leafs all ready.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:01:57 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #959 on: April 21, 2018, 06:48:12 PM »
Bruins did everything but score on that PP. Another post by Pasta!!

We're going back to Toronto I'm afraid.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: April 21, 2018, 07:03:02 PM »
My brothers losing it on Rask just texted me, "CAN RASK HAVE TWO GREAT GAMES IN A ROW"?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #961 on: April 21, 2018, 07:17:38 PM »
I'm watching the Sox. I'm not switching back until the Bruins score.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: April 21, 2018, 07:18:50 PM »
Not me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #963 on: April 21, 2018, 07:26:16 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: April 21, 2018, 07:39:15 PM »
Keep watching the Red Sox.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #965 on: April 21, 2018, 07:40:21 PM »
 :lol

Even they're losing! WTF??

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: April 21, 2018, 09:01:16 PM »
You can't as a team come out fast and a goalie letting in soft goals early on and expect to win.  60 damn minutes Bruins.

On to game 6 in Toronto.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: April 21, 2018, 10:39:22 PM »
This is a fun eight minute watch.....

https://youtu.be/-HUwd3fKsj0

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: April 21, 2018, 10:46:46 PM »
Andersen stole that one.  20-5 SOG in the 3rd alone.... 45-21 overall.  The better team did not win tonight, but I'll take it.  Pasternak was robbed more than a couple of times, and a few VERY narrow misses of the net.  The Bs also had a bit help from the stripes... that first penalty where Nash broke his stick?  :lolpalm:  Some of the other penalties were kinda questionable - 6PP for the Bruins; 1 for the Leafs :lolpalm:.  Totally stymied any offensive flow the Leafs could've put together.

Now they just need to take care of business at home, and give the Bruins the yips.

Thank god the 4-1 lead wasn't the curse of them.

Glad to see the Caps on the rebound as well.  Always looking for a good Torts meltdown presser.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #969 on: April 21, 2018, 10:55:53 PM »
Honestly, I don't think there is such a thing as "taking care of business at home" in the NHL playoffs.  Home ice means absolutely nothing in the NHL playoffs, as we are seeing once again. Home teams are 20-18 in these playoffs.

That aside, I get your sentiment.  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: April 22, 2018, 04:30:57 AM »
Honestly, I don't think there is such a thing as "taking care of business at home" in the NHL playoffs.  Home ice means absolutely nothing in the NHL playoffs, as we are seeing once again. Home teams are 20-18 in these playoffs.

That aside, I get your sentiment.  :biggrin:

Can't argue that point too much given the 20-18 record, but it was as much about 'taking care of business' period - and it happens to be at home.  Two more elimination games for the Leafs to get thru.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #971 on: April 22, 2018, 01:28:43 PM »
I would love if this Philly/Pitt series went to 7.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #972 on: April 22, 2018, 02:29:27 PM »
That Letang cross check on Giroux has to be called.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #973 on: April 22, 2018, 02:44:33 PM »

At least, the silver lining was that Giroux delivered a big hit that eventually led to a Penguin's penalty, and that after the PP was done, Flyers got a goal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #974 on: April 22, 2018, 02:49:21 PM »
Letang also got away with a clear holdingthestick on the 2 on 1.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #975 on: April 23, 2018, 08:19:05 AM »

I'm surprised there are missed calls this year in the playoffs, that usually doesn't happen...  :lol

I'm glad the Pens won that series, but man, they have to clean up a lot of messy transition work if they hope to beat any team of a higher caliber than Philly (pretty much any other team in the playoffs).

I'll sit waiting to see who wins the Caps/Jackets series, rooting for a 7 game series. Geno needs to get healthy if we want to beat either of those teams.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #976 on: April 23, 2018, 09:04:54 AM »

I'm surprised there are missed calls this year in the playoffs, that usually doesn't happen...  :lol

I'm glad the Pens won that series, but man, they have to clean up a lot of messy transition work if they hope to beat any team of a higher caliber than Philly (pretty much any other team in the playoffs).

I'll sit waiting to see who wins the Caps/Jackets series, rooting for a 7 game series. Geno needs to get healthy if we want to beat either of those teams.

I'm not saying the Flyers deserved to win that series, but that was a bullshit ending. A blatant trip on a guy with a torn MCL isn't called and a goal is scored. So instead of one down on a powerplay the Flyers are two down with the life sucked out of them. Again, the Flyers might have lost the game anyway, and chances are they would have lost the series even if they won that game, but that was not the right ending.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #977 on: April 23, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »
Lightning-Devils
Bruins-Maple Leafs
Capitals-Blue Jackets
Penguins-Flyers

Predators-Avalanche
Jets-Wild
Golden Knights-Kings
Ducks-Sharks

On a positive note, I'm 4-2 thus far, and am hopeful to finish 5-3 or better. Felt like the Kings series could have easily gone the other way aside from the sweep, but I still can't get over how the Sharks murdered the Ducks, wow.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #978 on: April 23, 2018, 09:18:45 AM »
I'm not saying the Flyers deserved to win that series, but that was a bullshit ending. A blatant trip on a guy with a torn MCL isn't called and a goal is scored. So instead of one down on a powerplay the Flyers are two down with the life sucked out of them. Again, the Flyers might have lost the game anyway, and chances are they would have lost the series even if they won that game, but that was not the right ending.

While I agree, that should have been called, two things - (1) I think the ref saw him swing and hit the puck, and then the follow through hit the legs, I know that doesn't really matter but I think that's what he saw. (2) Whether or not a dude has a torn MCL has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

That was definitely a big moment, but like I referenced above, I've given up on the NHL consistently getting calls right at all. Nothing called or not called surprises me at this point, unfortunately.

That all said, regardless of how upset Philly fans might have been, throwing full beer cans on the ice at the players was ridiculous and dangerous. Not what you want to see from a fan base, someone could have really gotten hurt.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #979 on: April 23, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »

While I agree, that should have been called, two things - (1) I think the ref saw him swing and hit the puck, and then the follow through hit the legs, I know that doesn't really matter but I think that's what he saw. (2) Whether or not a dude has a torn MCL has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

That was definitely a big moment, but like I referenced above, I've given up on the NHL consistently getting calls right at all. Nothing called or not called surprises me at this point, unfortunately.

That all said, regardless of how upset Philly fans might have been, throwing full beer cans on the ice at the players was ridiculous and dangerous. Not what you want to see from a fan base, someone could have really gotten hurt.

I fully agree that the torn MCL has no impact on the call, just salt in the wound. And while I can see why they might not have wanted to call it, it was in fact a blatant penalty. And yes, of course the throwing incident was bad. But FWIW 1/3 were probably being thrown at the refs and another 1/3 at the Flyers, so it's not like it was just the usual Penguins hatred.